https://www.modbee.com/news/local/cr...243874987.html

A former Hughson, CA mayor is accused of drunk driving and impersonating a cop Damn and the fake

Former Hughson Mayor Tom Crowder was arrested Friday for allegedly impersonating a California Highway Patrol Officer before fleeing the scene of a crash.

The incident occurred Friday, when Canh Tram was driving his wife home from her dialysis appointment. He said he looked into his rear view mirror and saw a Ford pickup swerving behind him on Las Palmas Avenue, just outside of Patterson.

He assumed that the driver ? later identified as Crowder ? was drunk and thought about pulling to the side of the road to let him pass, but the light at Elm Avenue turned red, so he stopped.

That?s when the Ford rear-ended his Audi at what Tram estimates was 40 mph.

Tram said his wife, who has diabetes, began experiencing chest pain, so he called 911.

Tram said Crowder, who served as mayor for four terms and was a councilman, walked up to his car and, ?He told me just get out of the car and I will take care of it.?

Tram said Crowder proceeded to tell him that the damage wasn?t significant and they didn?t need to call police.

Then he allegedly pulled out a badge and said he was a police officer.

Tram?s 911 call had gone through, but he said he couldn?t hear the dispatcher because the call had connected to the Bluetooth inside his vehicle and he was standing outside.

Crowder was getting more agitated, Tram said.

?He kept saying don?t call the police, I am a policeman,? Tram said. ?Somehow, I had a feeling something is not right.?

TRAM TOOK PHOTOS OF THE MAN HOLDING BADGE
Tram began taking pictures of the Crowder?s license plate and got a photo of him holding the badge.

Tram told him he saw him swerving behind him and could smell alcohol on him.

Tram said that?s when Crowder called him a ?f---ing liar? got back into his truck and said something similar to ?You are making a big ?f----ing deal out of this? as he drove away.

An ambulance and the CHP arrived at the scene after the driver fled.

Tram?s wife was treated there and officers got the photos from Tram, which were crucial in the quick arrest of Crowder.

CHP Officer Thomas Olsen said officers arrived at the Ceres home of the suspect about 90 minutes after the 1 p.m. collision.

Olsen said Crowder, 56, admitted to using the badge, which he produced for officers. The badge is a replica CHP badge that can be purchased on the Internet.

?To me, the badge is a symbol of trust,? Olsen said. ?It is upsetting to see someone use it in this manner. It has a profound negative impact on our profession when someone like Mr. Crowder chooses to mislead the public.?

During the investigation, officers determined that Crowder was under the influence, Olsen said.

He was arrested on suspicion of impersonating a peace officer, hit and run, and driving under the influence. He has since been released from custody.

Attempts by The Bee to reach Crowder were not successful.