Thread: Multiple Death Row inmates at San Quentin died from COVID-19

Multiple Death Row inmates at San Quentin died from COVID-19

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/us/sa...eak/index.html

Richard Stitely had spent nearly 30 years on death row when the pandemic hit California's San Quentin State Prison.

Last week, Stitely, 71, was found dead in his cell, marking the first known death linked to coronavirus inside the California prison with the largest outbreak of Covid-19 in the state.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-20-2022 at 08:51 AM.

Stitely (who had a record of sexual assaults) was found guilty of the 1992 rape and murder of a woman who accepted his offer of a ride home after meeting in a bar.

Cordova was convicted on DNA evidence of raping and murdering an 8yo girl in 1979.

I don't know why they were on death row when the State of California clearly had no intentions of executing them. I'm not a proponent of the death penalty, but I don't mourn the loss of either of these men. They had a better death than either of their victims. Good riddance.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post

I don't know why they were on death row when the State of California clearly had no intentions of executing them. I'm not a proponent of the death penalty, but I don't mourn the loss of either of these men. They had a better death than either of their victims. Good riddance.
    ...all of this!

https://www.kron4.com/news/californi...t-san-quentin/

SAN QUENTIN, Calif. (KRON) – Officials say a 22nd inmate has died from COVID-19 at San Quentin State Prison.

According to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, the inmate died Aug. 3 at a hospital outside the prison.

The inmate’s name has yet to be released.

At this time, San Quentin currently has 168 inmates who are “actively positive for COVID-19.”

“CDCR takes the health and safety of all those who live and work in our state prisons very seriously and will continue to work diligently to address the COVID-19 pandemic,” officials said in a statement.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

https://www.kron4.com/health/coronav...cult-decision/

SAN QUENTIN, Calif. (KRON) – “I was like this is the year, right, Dad? We can see if you can come home and he’s never coming home,” Dwanda Schwarz said.

A San Quentin inmate who is up for parole in just a few months is dying of COVID-19 at a Bay Area hospital.

His daughter is forced to make a very difficult decision whether or not to keep him on life support.

Dwanda Schwarz’s father is 74-years-old and has been battling COVID-19 for weeks now.

He told his daughter Tuesday night with a nod of his head that he doesn’t want to live like this anymore.

“My dad is not brain dead. He is there, but he just has no control over his body and will not gain that back,” Schwarz said.

Schwarz says he contracted coronavirus at San Quentin in June and has been fighting for his life for weeks.

Unable to speak, he listens to his daughter on FaceTime calls every day and nods and blinks to communicate.

The two of them are very close, despite his incarceration.

He’s just months away from parole but Schwarz says she will never see her father again because COVID-19 is taking him away from her.

“There are so many people who are dying alone and that is the hardest part I think about this. You know it definitely feels, very, I feel very helpless right now,” Schwarz said.

Tuesday’s conversation, one of the hardest she’s ever had to have with her father.

“He does not want to be on the machine. He clearly gave us a head shake that he didn’t want to be on the machine when we asked him and I asked him if he understood that would mean he would not survive and he nodded his head that he understood,” Schwarz said.

Schwarz has not given doctors permission to end her father’s life just yet, wanting just a few more hours to grasp what is happening.

“I don’t ever want to let my dad go and I was really hoping to be able to be with him, you know, I want my dad,” Schwarz said.

As of today, 22 inmates at San Quentin have died from coronavirus.

https://ktla.com/news/california/ove...officials-say/

California state prison officials say as many as 17,600 inmates may be released early due to the coronavirus.

This Aug. 5, 2019 prison identification photo provided by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation shows inmate Terebea Williams. (California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation via AP)
    This Aug. 5, 2019 prison identification photo provided by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation shows inmate Terebea Williams. (California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation via AP)
    That’s 70% more than previously estimated and a total that victims and police say includes dangerous criminals who should stay locked up.

Among those released last week was Terebea Williams, who served 19 years of an 84 years-to-life sentence for first-degree murder, carjacking and kidnapping.

She was deemed at high medical risk for the virus, though officials couldn’t say what put her in that category

The earlier releases also are causing consternation as probation officers and community organizations scramble to provide housing, transportation and other services for inmates who may pose a public health risk because several hundred have been paroled while still contagious.

Officials have been under intense pressure to free more inmates, though officials say Corrections Secretary Ralph Diaz is likely to block some of the earlier releases.

With some inmates already released, the state’s prison population dropped below 100,000 for the first time in three decades.

https://www.ktvu.com/news/san-quenti...-from-covid-19

Update Pedro Arias (58) has been added to the list of people who have died from COVID-19 complications at San Quentin.

SAN QUENTIN, Calif. - Pedro Arias, on San Quentin State Prison's death row since 1990, died Sunday at an outside hospital from what appears to be complications related to the COVID-19 coronavirus, the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said.

The Marin County coroner will determine the exact cause of death for the 58-year-old Arias, Corrections Department officials said in a statement.

Arias is believed to be the 25th San Quentin inmate to succumb to the coronavirus since the pandemic began in March.

Arias was sentenced to death in Sacramento County on Feb. 22, 1990, for first-degree murder and second-degree robbery while armed with a firearm. He was also sentenced to life without parole for kidnapping for ransom/extortion, penetration with a foreign object, attempted sodomy, lewd and lascivious acts on a child under 14, sodomy of a child under 14, two counts of forcible rape, second-degree robbery and enhancements for the use of a firearm.
    I think this headline needs to be changed since its now becoming an update on how many San Quentin Prisoners have died due to COVID-19 and some of them were on Death Row.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLanders View Post
    https://www.ktvu.com/news/san-quenti...-from-covid-19

Update Pedro Arias (58) has been added to the list of people who have died from COVID-19 complications at San Quentin.

I think this headline needs to be changed since its now becoming an update on how many San Quentin Prisoners have died due to COVID-19 and some of them were on Death Row.
    It wasn't necessarily meant to be a joint death thread, but sure, why not.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    It wasn't necessarily meant to be a joint death thread, but sure, why not.
    I guess since its in the same location I knew the updates were quickly going in that direction though.

https://www.kcra.com/article/familie...isons/33600305

Update on the multiple death fallout

SACRAMENTO, Calif. —
    Loved ones of those incarcerated held multiple protests in Sacramento as the state works to reduce the growing number of COVID-19 cases at prisons.

To date, 53 inmates have died from COVID-19 while in custody—according to state tracking data.

There have been more than 9,000 inmates who tested positive for COVID-19 since the pandemic began. Currently, the state is reporting more than 1,000 active cases.

There are currently more than 1,200 state employee COVID-19 cases at prisons statewide.

One of the most recent spikes is at Folsom State Prison which reported 109 active COVID-19 cases and the death of a state prison employee this week.

“The only ones who are surprised about what is going on is no one who has been incarcerated before,” said Steven Green who was formerly incarcerated. “There is no place to give physical distancing. Plus, the culture inside between the cops and those who are incarcerated is not good. It’s either been adversarial or ‘we don’t care about you; we only care about us.’”

The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation said in response to Folsom State Prison it nearly tripled its quarantine tent capacity to 140 inmates this week and plans to increase that capacity to a total of 230 inmates by this weekend.

In a statement, CDCR said it also sent thousands of additional items of personal protective equipment, including masks, face shields and gowns—and is conducting rapid response and laboratory testing.

But loved ones argue the only way for an inmate to contract COVID-19 is for the virus to come from outside. As a result, they place all responsibility on the state.

“Now we have a pandemic within a pandemic. It’s a death sentence,” Belinda Morales said. “There is too many of them in there going through the same thing. These families that are here. They are going through the same thing. There has to be some preventions. The governor has to open his eyes.”

Morales’ fianc?, Marcos Trevino, died of COVID-19 while in custody.

“They don’t know if it was June 2 or June 3,” Morales said. “He said ‘they are putting me in quarantine. I’ve got a little fever. I’m going to be here for 14 days and I’ll call you when I get out.’ I never got that call.”

Other family members are frustrated they can’t easily contact their loved ones during the pandemic.

“He’s actually not telling me anything. Because he can’t have phone calls,” Joanne Scheer said.

Scheer’s 33-year-old son, Anthony Vigeant, is currently at Mule Creek State Prison in Amador County.

“I am very concerned,” she said. “And he was very concerned about just being able to stay away from whomever is sick. And now he is in a COVID quarantine building. I don’t know if it’s him that’s sick. And I won’t be able to know.”

In response to the risk of COVID-19, the state has been granting expedited releases to non-violent inmates with less than a year left in their sentence.

In order to be eligible, inmates must meet the following criteria:

Have 365 days or less to serve on their sentence
    Are not currently serving time for domestic violence or a violent crime as defined by law
    Have no current or prior sentences that require them to register as a sex offender
    Not have an assessment indicating a high risk for violence
    Individuals who are 30 and over and who meet the eligibility criteria are immediately eligible for release.
    Those who meet these criteria and are age 29 or under will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis for release.
    When released, CDCR said the following resources are provided:

Being referred to the Division of Adult Parole, county probation
    Given personal protective equipment
    Transportation is offered
    Provided COVID-19 education
    Eligible for temporary, emergency housing for those without other options
    The department estimates by the end of August roughly 8,000 inmates over the past five months-- with a current prison population of nearly 100,000 statewide.

Thread Information