Thread: Living on at MyDeathSpace.com (Article from LV weekly)

Living on at MyDeathSpace.com (Article from LV weekly)

Article about Mydeathspace on Las Vegas Weekly.com

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/content/nc/news/the-intersection/single-story/article/mortaiity-heres-where-you-go-when-you-die/

Mortaiity(sic): Here's where you go when you die

Living on at MyDeathSpace.com

Excerpt from article:
    MyDeathSpace.com, an unaffiliated spinoff of the popular social networking site MySpace, serves as an obituary database for MySpace users who have died. It links news accounts of the deaths with their MySpace profiles, and the result is haunting and, to some, addictive.

It’s so addictive that some users of MyDeathSpace have single-handedly posted as many as 5,000 messages on the site’s forums analyzing, debating and, in some cases, mocking the dead.

The site has given way to a subculture of morbidity-obsessed amateur detectives ranging from goth kids to grandmothers who plunder MySpace profiles and the rest of the net looking for incriminating pictures, blogs, police and autopsy reports and other bits of information that will either add weight or levity to the death stories.
    This reporter contacted me, but I wasn't able to give an interview before her deadline. I was curious as to what kind of spin she would put on it. The typo made me think it said "Morality" just for a split second! I was like  :-o  Oh, nice spin  :|  But no, that wasn't the case!

I don't remember who Sheena is here from Las Vegas. Just wondering, you don't have to say though. Congrats BFT, nice mention for you! Of all the things I have said here, I had to chuckle on what she said about my posts. It could have been so much worse! Me and my auto submit link idea! hehe Thanks Jen.

I still don't think Mike is making much (if any) money off this and if he is, I doubt it offsets all the time he has put into this website. And even though this site provides mounds of entertainment for many of us, I do feel that there will be some, if not many lives saved due to the exposure of the many tragedies that take so many lives in so many ways.

Re: Living on at MyDeathSpace.com (Article from LV weekly)

:2thescream: It seems no matter what is said about MDS the users are still seen as flesh eating grave diggers.
    Even if we do  appreciate life greatly.

[quote author=Gogo Distrukto link=topic=8126.msg418277#msg418277 date=1182146965]
    :2thescream: It seems no matter what is said about MDS the users are still seen as flesh eating grave diggers.
    Even if we do  appreciate life greatly.

[/quote]

Zombies with jobs?  Sweet.

i feel used AS A FLESH EATER

It’s so addictive that some users of MyDeathSpace have single-handedly posted as many as 5,000 messages

[quote author=daybreaksdisdain link=topic=8126.msg418698#msg418698 date=1182164982]
    Zombies with jobs?  Sweet.
    [/quote]

I know that I am pale, but damn, didn't think I was a zombie..........

Oh well..........

At least we weren't vampires this time.........

<br />&quot;If you aren&#039;t going to use the head on your shoulders, I will remove it by any means necessary .&quot; <br />

[quote author=tmars78 link=topic=8126.msg419474#msg419474 date=1182203874]
    It’s so addictive that some users of MyDeathSpace have single-handedly posted as many as 5,000 messages

[/quote]
    :roll: um, no way! not even possible... :|
    [quote author=Mr. Formaldehyde]<br />I will wship YOU!!!1[/quote]<br />[quote author=LawChick]<br />I love you back whore. Don&#39;t forget it either.<br />[/quote]

Meh,at least we weren't called heartless and cruel this time.

ON THE CONTRARY, SOMETHING HAS BEEN BOTHERING ME AND I FEEL I NEED TO GET IT OFF MY CHEST.
    I was the person interviewed by Jen Lawson of the weekly.
    we did a phone interview and she said almost no one on this site wanted to help her.
    I thought that if i let her interview me i could finally tell people how this site is not that bad, in my own words, AFTER SHE&nbsp; FOUND ME, AND ASKED ME through a letter via myspace,&nbsp; i thought about it and said yes.
    The interview went really well, in fact i thought i helped Jen understand &quot;people like us&quot; ( who are the same people as her) , and over all just let her know we ALSO CARE ABOUT LIFE, AND I BELIEVE THROUGH BEING A MDS USER I HAVE FOUND A DEEPER APPRECIATION FOR LIFE. I AM ALSO CAREFUL OF THE TYPES OF THINGS I POST ON MY ACTUAL MYSPACE, BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN THAT IS WHAT YOU WILL BE REMEMBERED BY. I recognized some of the information i had given her during our long phone conversation in the very article, BUT. I feel like she had not quoted ANY of the positive things i had said, ONLY THE SHALLOWEST COMMENTS I HAD TO OFFER. I recognized my words and ideas through out her story, but not being quoted from me. IN FACT the only things quoted from me included me making fun of an underage drunk&nbsp; driver ( fare enough) i do not hide that, but WHY only that??? WHAT ABOUT THE POSITIVE THINGS I SAID? Or had she just used those things as HER words? I feel i was basically made out to be insensitive to death, something very opposite of my character. I feel my character was decimated in a way, and i feel used. Or maybe the positive things werent as INTERESTING as the negative things.

I wrote her a&nbsp; short letter that she has not opened yet.
    In that letter I stated that I would have never done this interview if i had known she was going to make me look like a dick. (sometimes i am a dick) But the day i gave the interview i had no intentions of carrying that sort of tone, i really tryed to help.
    I feel she made me seem different than the way we talked on the phone, i feel strange now and somewhat uncomfortable after reading all of this, if she would have quoted the things i told her about how i feel about life and death and myspace, and not just fucking trash I wouldnt feel so shitty, but who i am i kidding!!! thats all they want, to make us look like&nbsp; sick fucks. I feel like thats what people may think of me now. My fault though. Now i know why you guys dont do interviews. Am I bothered ? A little. Will I live through&nbsp; it? of course. Are reporters still trying to make us look like flesh eaters? yes...

- sheena
    I am a sick fuck in 50% of all peoples eyes. Just as they are in mine.

[quote author=Gogo Distrukto link=topic=8126.msg420365#msg420365 date=1182238624]
    ON THE CONTRARY, SOMETHING HAS BEEN BOTHERING ME AND I FEEL I NEED TO GET IT OFF MY CHEST.
    I was the person interviewed by Jen Lawson of the weekly.
    we did a phone interview and she said almost no one on this site wanted to help her.
    I thought that if i let her interview me i could finally tell people how this site is not that bad, in my own words, AFTER SHE&nbsp; FOUND ME, AND ASKED ME through a letter via myspace,&nbsp; i thought about it and said yes.
    The interview went really well, in fact i thought i helped Jen understand &quot;people like us&quot; ( who are the same people as her) , and over all just let her know we ALSO CARE ABOUT LIFE, AND I BELIEVE THROUGH BEING A MDS USER I HAVE FOUND A DEEPER APPRECIATION FOR LIFE. I AM ALSO CAREFUL OF THE TYPES OF THINGS I POST ON MY ACTUAL MYSPACE, BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN THAT IS WHAT YOU WILL BE REMEMBERED BY. I recognized some of the information i had given her during our long phone conversation in the very article, BUT. I feel like she had not quoted ANY of the positive things i had said, ONLY THE SHALLOWEST COMMENTS I HAD TO OFFER. I recognized my words and ideas through out her story, but not being quoted from me. IN FACT the only things quoted from me included me making fun of an underage drunk&nbsp; driver ( fare enough) i do not hide that, but WHY only that??? WHAT ABOUT THE POSITIVE THINGS I SAID? Or had she just used those things as HER words? I feel i was basically made out to be insensitive to death, something very opposite of my character. I feel my character was decimated in a way, and i feel used. Or maybe the positive things werent as INTERESTING as the negative things.

I wrote her a&nbsp; short letter that she has not opened yet.
    In that letter I stated that I would have never done this interview if i had known she was going to make me look like a dick. (sometimes i am a dick) But the day i gave the interview i had no intentions of carrying that sort of tone, i really tryed to help.
    I feel she made me seem different than the way we talked on the phone, i feel strange now and somewhat uncomfortable after reading all of this, if she would have quoted the things i told her about how i feel about life and death and myspace, and not just fucking trash I wouldnt feel so shitty, but who i am i kidding!!! thats all they want, to make us look like&nbsp; sick fucks. I feel like thats what people may think of me now. My fault though. Now i know why you guys dont do interviews. Am I bothered ? A little. Will I live through&nbsp; it? of course. Are reporters still trying to make us look like flesh eaters? yes...

- sheena
    I am a sick fuck in 50% of all peoples eyes. Just as they are in mine.
    [/quote]

Dirt sells, warm and fuzzies not so much.&nbsp; &nbsp; She contacted quite a few people here, I doubt NO ONE got a hold of her.&nbsp; Pity is a common tool to use for reporters.&nbsp; &quot;No one will talk to me, boo hoo&quot;&nbsp; &quot;I want your side&quot;&nbsp; The hell they do.&nbsp;

Take heart, at least we are honest.&nbsp;

SHE ANSWERED MY LETTER AND HAD THIS TO SAY:

I wasn't happy with the story either. I'm sorry you feel the way you do. I wrote a more straighforward piece originally that had more of your quotes, but the editor i work with told me it was too objective and it needed to be edgier. I completely rewrote it and resubmitted it two days later. The final result that is in the paper was after it went through the meat grinder -- It was heavily edited. I don't think it's a bad story and I personally don't think it reflects poorly on you at all, but the story I wrote initially was much better, more sincere and reflective of the interviews I conducted. I guess alt-weeklies want more opinionated pieces, and if that's not what they get, they will make them that way.

I TOLD HER TO TELL HER EDITORS TO EAT MY ASSHOLE WITH MAPLE SYRUP.
    For needing to be &quot;edgier&quot; at my expense . What ever i guess it could have been worst right.
    Days was right.

mydeathspace

ha.

She didn't mention the MDS meet up in Vegas over Labor Day weekend!

[quote author=mydeathspace link=topic=8126.msg423817#msg423817 date=1182389046]
    ha.

She didn't mention the MDS meet up in Vegas over Labor Day weekend!
    [/quote]

Someone should invite her. :)
    With all this talk of thinking outside the box, I am beginning to wonder what&#039;s left inside the box. -Me

[quote author=Gogo Distrukto link=topic=8126.msg421748#msg421748 date=1182301046]
    SHE ANSWERED MY LETTER AND HAD THIS TO SAY:

I wasn't happy with the story either. I'm sorry you feel the way you do. I wrote a more straighforward piece originally that had more of your quotes, but the editor i work with told me it was too objective and it needed to be edgier. I completely rewrote it and resubmitted it two days later. The final result that is in the paper was after it went through the meat grinder -- It was heavily edited. I don't think it's a bad story and I personally don't think it reflects poorly on you at all, but the story I wrote initially was much better, more sincere and reflective of the interviews I conducted. I guess alt-weeklies want more opinionated pieces, and if that's not what they get, they will make them that way.

I TOLD HER TO TELL HER EDITORS TO EAT MY ASSHOLE WITH MAPLE SYRUP.
    For needing to be &quot;edgier&quot; at my expense . What ever i guess it could have been worst right.
    Days was right.

[/quote]

I hate when people shift the blame.&nbsp; So she took ZERO responsibility for a piece with her name on it??&nbsp; Well, I'm not a journalist so maybe I don't know how it works.&nbsp; But a whole letter full of excuses?&nbsp; kinda lame.

I hope you guys don't mind but I borrowed the reference to zombies and used it as my custom header...I think it's HI-larious!

Maybe we should just embrace our sick-fuckededness and be done with it!&nbsp; *pervy hugs all around*

Thread Information