Thread: LeBron James joins West Akron family in looking for answers for woman's (Ericka Weems, 37) death

LeBron James joins West Akron family in looking for answers for woman's (Ericka Weems, 37) death

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=12443831

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/...ng/6164312002/

Ericka Weems was found dead in her home on Monday. Her family is wondering who would try to hurt her.

A family of a woman who was fatally shot this week is getting help from a childhood friend as they seek answers.

That childhood friend happens to be LeBron James.

'AKRON OHIO!! My brother's sister was murdered this past weekend in her home!,' James said on Twitter. 'My brother's family need answers to why and by whom.'

Ericka Weems, a 37-year-old woman from West Akron, was found shot dead in her home Monday afternoon. Her family is struggling to understand how a woman so dedicated to helping others could be a target of a senseless crime.

"She's a spectacular person," Darrell Weems Sr. said of his daughter. "I don't know why anybody would want to hurt her."

Her father said Ericka always wanted to help people. She volunteered to feed the homeless and turned her love of helping children into a career.

Darrell Weems said his daughter first ran a daycare in Columbus, but moved back to Akron last year to be closer to family.

He said Ericka got her passion to help people from her mom, Brenda Lewis-Weems.

Lewis-Weems was well known throughout the area for her kindness and impact on the community. She won a Beacon Journal award for Extraordinary Women in the Akron Area in 2005.

A nurse by trade, she reached out to several young people in the community. At the time of her death, Ericka described her as very nurturing.

"She helped raise about 10 kids, always welcoming others with open arms," Ericka said of her mom in 2006. "Mom was easy to talk to about anything and was very generous. She was an amazing woman."

One of those kids was James. Lewis-Weems is James' godmother, and he's called her a 'second mother.'

Ericka's brother, Brandon Weems, grew up playing basketball with James and Frankie Walker. Darrell Weems said the two have been friends since they were children. James would stay the night, and treated Ericka, her sister, Shermaine, and brother 'like siblings.'

Lewis-Weems died in 2006. At the time, James was one of many saddened by her passing.

"I've been thinking about her," James said after a playoff game following her funeral. "It's a very tough time for my little brother, Brandon, and I'm going to keep Brenda in my prayers, and we're going to get through this as a family."

Akron Police have not announced any arrests or identified any suspects.

Darrell Weems said he and the family are looking for answers. He said James helping is blessing, not just because he's LeBron James, but because they're looking for anyone who can reach out and help find justice in Ericka Weem's death.

'My city I need y'all to go to work and find out who did this awful, shameful, disgusting thing to such a caring, loving angel! #Justice4EricaWeems.' James said in his tweet.

Brandon Weems is now Cavaliers Director of Scouting.

"The entire Cavaliers organization was terribly saddened to learn about the recent tragic death of Brandon Weems' sister Ericka," Cavaliers General Manager Koby Altman said in a statement. "Our hearts are heavy and filled with pain over this senseless act. We express our deepest condolences to Brandon, the entire Weems family, their loved ones, and the Akron community. We will be with Brandon throughout this extremely difficult time and will offer our assistance and resources to help find justice for Ericka."

Anyone with information is asked to call the Akron Police Department Detective Bureau at 330-375-2490 or 330-375-2Tip. Call the Summit County Crime Stoppers at 330-434-COPS. Text TIPSCO with your tips to 274637. Callers can remain anonymous.

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2020...ind_her_killer
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-05-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Thread Information