Thread: Linda Stolzfoos (18) missing from Bird in Hand, PA since 6/21/2020

Linda Stolzfoos (18) missing from Bird in Hand, PA since 6/21/2020

https://www.ydr.com/story/news/2020/...an/3239624001/

Volunteers and first responders came up empty on the primary search for a young Amish woman from Lancaster County on Monday.

East Lampeter Township Police reported that 18-year-old Linda Stoltzfoos was last seen at 12:30 p.m. Sunday on Stumptown Road, Upper Leacock Township. The 5-10 woman weighs approximately 125 and has brown hair and blue eyes.

She was wearing a tan dress, white apron and white cap when last seen Sunday.

An update on the Amish Girl Missing ? Linda Stoltzfoos Facebook page said there were no leads after the primary search. A secondary search was going to continue until dark, with a tighter grid.

Police said they believe Stoltzfoos ?may be at special risk of harm or injury.

Anyone with information on Stoltzfoos should contact police immediately by calling 911 or the East Lampeter Township Police Department at 717-291-4676.
    I hope I am wrong, but I don't have a good feeling about this case.

https://www.facebook.com/Amish-Girl-...1726970587041/

I was shocked about the use of social media, photography, and video. Always thought the Amish shunned these things as much as possible. However, I'm glad they are trying; I think this will help.

Quote Originally Posted by up2trouble View Post

I was shocked about the use of social media, photography, and video. Always thought the Amish shunned these things as much as possible. However, I'm glad they are trying; I think this will help.
    I had the same thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by up2trouble View Post

This may clear things up a little...
    https://www.newsweek.com/amish-teens...ia-app-1460865

But also, a friend of mine claims her Amish neighbors, who wouldn't consider owning or driving a car are quite willing to accept a ride from a neighbor. I'd guess that even people who don't use social media might see the value of it in this case, and would be willing to accept help from those who do use it. By the same token, her Amish neighbors were very helpful when the whole area lost power for several weeks... showed up with lanterns and fire wood and home cooked meals.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I hope she just fell in love and ran away from home.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    I hope she just fell in love and ran away from home.
    Seriously. It would be a happy outcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

https://lancasteronline.com/news/loc...8250c8128.html

The FBI has joined East Lampeter Township police in the search for an 18-year-old woman missing since Sunday evening, according to East Lampeter Township police.

Linda Stoltzfoos, of East Lampeter Township, was last seen in Bird-in-Hand wearing a tan dress, white apron and a white cape on Sunday after church, according police.

"We're making a plea to Linda that if this was a case where she left on her own, that she's not in trouble and to call (the police station) to verify that she's OK," public information officer Lt. Matthew Hess said.

The FBI was brought in as an additional resource, Hess said.

He added that there's been no evidence to support any foul play as of Wednesday afternoon. Still, he said, foul play has not been ruled out.

https://www.ydr.com/story/news/2020/...rs/3275104001/

The facts of the case seem simple.

In cases like this, in which an 18-year-old disappears, it is usually handled differently. An 18-year-old is considered an adult and sometimes, adults take off and don’t want to be found, for a variety of reasons.

But this case is different.

“Nothing leads us to believe that she wanted to leave on her own,” Hess said. “We can’t rule out foul play or that she left on her free will.”

The investigation is ongoing, Fisher said, as detectives and officers chase down tips and leads.

The FBI has joined the investigation, offering extra resources and support “however we can,” said Carrie Adamowski, public affairs officer with the FBI office in Philadelphia. “Our involvement here isn’t unusual at all,” Adamowski wrote in an email. “Every day, all of over the country, the FBI is providing some kind of assistance to local, state or federal law enforcement partners – not just on missing persons cases, on all different types of cases. It’s an important part of what we do.”

This case, though, is unusual. Usually, Kraybill said, there are signs that a young person wants to walk away from the Amish life, that his or her disillusionment with the life is telegraphed, either explicitly or subtlety.

“This is different than an 18-year-old person who lives in an apartment and vanishes,” Kraybill said. “Dozens of people who knew her or interacted with her on a regular basis had no idea she might want to leave. There’s no indication that's the case.”

Fisher left the Amish faith years ago, as did his wife, who is Linda’s sister. They had been excommunicated and shunned as others who’ve left the faith have been. He said he didn’t know Linda.

When Linda went missing, he got in touch with her family and offered what help he could. The family accepted. He got permission from the family to start a Facebook page, Amish Girl Missing – Linda Stoltzfoos, even though it is contrary to their beliefs.

The page has attracted thousands of followers from all over the country, people offering their thoughts and prayers and speculation as to what has happened.

Whatever has happened, Fisher said, the Amish will forgive, as they forgave the man who killed five of their children at the Nickel Mines School and embraced the man’s family as one of their own.

“The Amish are very quick to forgive,” Fisher said. “It’s God’s will, and we forgive, is what they think. They know there are consequences, as far as the legal system goes, but here, they don’t know what happened. There are no consequences. But they have an unwavering faith that the truth will prevail. They have an unwavering faith that God is in control.

“But, here, they don’t know what the truth is. They don’t know what happened. Nobody knows what happened. It seems the entire community is searching for an answer, and we don’t have one.”

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/penns...e80c54d01.html

Authorities are taking a new approach to find a missing Amish woman from Lancaster County.

The FBI has created a composite photo of what Linda Stoltzfoos, 18, may look like in street clothes and with her hair down.

Hope she's okay.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/0...mish-girl.html

A Paradise Township, Lancaster County, man has been charged with the kidnapping of Linda Stoltzfoos, an 18-year-old Amish woman who went missing after a church service near Bird-in-Hand on Father’s Day. She hasn’t been seen since.

An arrest warrant was issued for 34-year-old Justo Smoker on Friday, according to the Lancaster County District Attorney’s office. Smoker was taken into police custody the same day.

Pennsylvania State Police searched an area of Ronks last night, where they found women’s clothing in a wooded area that matched the description of what Stoltzfoos was wearing when she disappeared. The area is 3 miles from where she was last seen.

Investigators are actively searching for Stoltzfoos. East Lampeter Township police said on Saturday they have reason to believe she was harmed following her abduction.

According to the affidavit, several members of the Amish community told law enforcement they saw a four-door red sedan traveling the route where Stoltzfoos was expected to be walking to a youth meeting on June 21. They said they saw an Amish woman sitting in the front seat.

https://lancasteronline.com/news/loc...87205db4d.html

According to the district attorney's office, Smoker became a person of interest after police were told that multiple witnesses had seen a red or orange vehicle in the Gap area with an Amish woman in the passenger seat and a man driving on the afternoon after Stoltzfoos went missing.
    Search for missing Amish woman enters its third week, investigation continues
    Local News
    Search for missing Amish woman enters its third week, investigation continues

LANCASTERONLINE | Staff

Police used surveillance video enhanced by FBI forensic technicians to see what they believe is the abduction of Stoltzfoos near Beechdale Road, which would've been part of her walk back home from church, the district attorney's office said.

The video came from the 500 block of Beechdale Road, according to the affidavit of probable cause.

Friday evening, investigators searched a rural location in Ronks, where they believed Stoltzfoos might have been taken after being kidnapped, the district attorney's office said.

Smoker's car was seen parked at the location on June 23, the district attorney's office said, and investigators found articles of clothing they believe belonged to Stoltzfoos.

Investigators are asking anyone who might have seen Smoker or his red Kia Rio sedan around June 21 or after to contact police at 717-291-4676.

moker's car has a "distinct spoiler and 'LCM' sticker on the trunk," the district attorney's office said. The license plate registration is KYB-9713.
    On June 23, police said they were called for a suspicious vehicle behind a business on Harvest Drive in Ronks. The owner told police it was a red Kia and police later said that it was the same license plate, belonging to Smoker.

Police said that the business owner then saw the driver of the vehicle walk around the building and look into windows and doors. The man, believed to be Smoker, then returned and backed into the same parking spot next to the railroad tracks, according to the affidavit.

Police said they found the articles of clothing, which the family later identified as being Stoltzfoos', buried about six to eight inches underground near the Harvest Drive business on July 10.

On June 29, police spoke with a married couple that were also in the Amish community and said that they saw an Amish woman riding in a passenger seat of a red or orange car, wearing a white apron and black head covering, police said.

The couple thought it was odd because Amish churches in that area don't wear black head coverings and when the woman waved to the car's passenger, she never waved back, which is an Amish tradition, according to the affidavit.

The FBI used Smoker's cell phone records to show that he was in the general area where the clothes were found on June 21 between 2:32 and 3:35 p.m., according to the affidavit.

Police interviewed Smoker on July 10, where police said he initially denied being in the area but later said the he traveled backroads from his house in Ronks and Leola.

When he was shown a photograph of the car police saw in the surveillance video, Smoker told police that the car looked like his, police said.

Police arrested him on Friday night, according to the district attorney's office.

https://amishamerica.com/man-arreste...still-missing/

News just broke this afternoon: 34-year-old Lancaster County resident Justo Smoker was arrested last night and charged with kidnapping Linda Stoltzfoos. A vehicle resembling Smoker?s was seen by multiple witnesses in the area of Gap with an Amish female in the passenger seat on the afternoon Linda went missing.
    Another detail ? I assume the police think this could be related if they?ve released this info: a ?married couple that were also in the Amish community? saw an Amish woman riding in a red or orange car around a week later ? June 29. The woman was wearing a white apron and black prayer covering.

What got their attention: ?the couple thought it was odd because Amish churches in that area don?t wear black head coverings and when the woman waived to the car?s passenger, she never waved back, which is an Amish tradition, according to the affidavit.?

https://people.com/crime/missing-tee...pect-arrested/

While the search for the young women continues, prosecutors now say they believe Stoltzfoos, who was Amish, was "harmed following her abduction," reports the Associated Press.

Smoker was arraigned Saturday following his arrest. A judge denied bond due to "the nature of the charges and the ongoing investigation" as requested by prosecutors, the A.P. reports.

He has not entered a plea, and an attorney who might speak on his behalf was not identified.

According to the criminal complaint in the case, the missing teen's friend, Lillian Ebersole, told police that the two young women had been washing dishes together after a June 21 church service, which concluded around noon at a farm along Stumptown Road, when Stoltzfoos said she wanted to go home and change from her formal church clothes into a different outfit for a later youth group meeting, reports LancasterOnline.

Ebersole subsequently watched a barefoot Stoltzfoos walk away.

The missing woman's parents believed she had gone to the youth group event, while members of the youth group thought she was at home, causing hours to pass before her father called police to report his daughter missing when she didn't return.

Thread Information