Thread: Fenn's Treasure has been found!

Don't drink sanitizer! raisedbywolves's Avatar

Fenn's Treasure has been found!

I was beginning to think it was a hoax, but somebody found it.

https://abcnews.go.com/Weird/wireSto...found-71122597

A bronze chest filled with gold, jewels, and other valuables worth more than $1 million and hidden a decade ago somewhere in the Rocky Mountain wilderness has been found, according to a famed art and antiquities collector who created the treasure hunt.

Forrest Fenn, 89, told the Santa Fe New Mexican on Sunday that a man who did not want his name released ? but was from ?back East? ? located the chest a few days ago and the discovery was confirmed by a photograph the man sent him.

?It was under a canopy of stars in the lush, forested vegetation of the Rocky Mountains and had not moved from the spot where I hid it more than 10 years ago,? Fenn said in a statement on his website Sunday that still did not reveal the exact location. ?I do not know the person who found it, but the poem in my book led him to the precise spot.?

Fenn posted clues to the treasure?s whereabouts online and in a 24-line poem that was published in his 2010 autobiography ?The Thrill of the Chase.?

Hundreds of thousands have hunted in vain across remote corners of the U.S. West for the bronze chest believed to be filled with gold coins, jewelry and other valuable items. Many quit their jobs to dedicate themselves to the search and others depleted their life savings. At least four people died searching for it.

Fenn, who lives in Santa Fe, said he packed and repacked his treasure chest for more than a decade, sprinkling in gold dust and adding hundreds of rare gold coins and gold nuggets. Pre-Columbian animal figures went in, along with prehistoric ?mirrors? of hammered gold, ancient Chinese faces carved from jade and antique jewelry with rubies and emeralds.

He said he hid the treasure as a way to tempt people to get into the wilderness and give them a chance to launch an old-fashioned adventure and expedition for riches.

Fenn told The New Mexican in 2017 that the chest weighs 20 pounds (9 kilograms) and its contents weigh another 22 pounds (10 kilograms). He said he delivered the chest to its hiding place by himself over two separate trips.

Asked how he felt now that the treasure has been found, Fenn said: ?I don?t know, I feel halfway kind of glad, halfway kind of sad because the chase is over.?
    We have several death threads connected to the treasure.
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...-National-Park
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...enn-s-treasure
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...enn-s-treasure
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...g-for-treasure
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...llion-treasure

Yay!

I went back and read the old threads. People seriously wanted to call off the search because people died looking for this treasure? WTF has happened to us? People die hiking, surfing, driving to work. Should we call all that off too?
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/f...rnd/index.html

As soon as Forrest Fenn announced that his treasure was found earlier this month, rumors swirled about whether it had really been found or if the treasure hunt had been a hoax all along.

Well, this week, Fenn tried to put some of those to rest by unveiling the first photos of the discovered treasure.

On Tuesday, the 89-year-old art and antiquities collector posted three pictures of the treasure on dalneitzel.com, a fan blog dedicated to the treasure hunt that Fenn sparked 10 years ago after he published clues in his autobiography "The Thrill of the Chase."

One photo shows Fenn sorting through the bronze chest filled with gold, jewelry and other artifacts that are believed to total over $1 million. "Removing objects from the chest. It is darker than it was ten years ago when I left it on the ground and walked away," Fenn wrote in the caption.

Another photo shows the treasure "not long after it was discovered," according to Fenn.

And a third picture shows a picture of him wearing a silver bracelet that has been tarnished black.

Fenn estimated that as many as 350,000 people from around the world went hunting for the treasure, according to the Santa Fe New Mexican. Some quit their jobs to fully dedicate their lives to the hunt and some even died.

Fenn reiterated in Tuesday's post that the finder wanted to remain anonymous. While some remained skeptical, most of the comments under the pictures congratulated the finder and thanked Fenn for the experience.

"I give a heartfelt thank you to Forrest for his wild and wonderful adventure that gave me new places to explore, peacefulness, joy, wonder, and a challenge like no other," one person commented.
    Pictures at the link. I am confused as to why he is wearing the tarnished bracelet if this guy found the treasure.

I guess he was waiting for someone to find his treasure before he died.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/09/us/fo...rnd/index.html

Forrest Fenn, whose 10-year treasure hunt inspired thousands of people to explore out West, has died, police confirmed to CNN. He was 90.

Fenn died of apparent natural causes at his home in New Mexico, Santa Fe Police Deputy Chief Ben Valdez said.

Fenn was an art and antiquities collector and Southwestern raconteur best known for hiding a treasure chest somewhere in the Rocky Mountains. He published cryptic clues 10 years ago in his autobiography, "The Thrill of the Chase," and set off a treasure hunting phenomenon.

He estimated over 350,000 people went looking for the chest along the mountainous terrain. Some people quit their jobs and devoted their days to searching for it, and a few died during their search.

Skeptics believed his treasure hunt to be a hoax until June, when Fenn announced an anonymous adventurer had finally found the bounty. Fenn shared photos to prove the treasure was real all along -- a silver chest teemed with gold, jewelry and other artifacts, believed to total over $1 million.

He held onto his treasure hunt's secrets until the very end. He never revealed the exact location of where he'd placed the treasure, and he kept the finder's identity private.

Fenn lived most of his life in Santa Fe, a town, he wrote, populated by "many characters who are attracted to it." He proudly identified as one of those characters.

Treasure hunting wasn't his primary passion, at least for the first half of his life. Fenn blogged about being a fighter pilot in the Vietnam War and, in sharing one anecdote, questioned the morality of those who orchestrated the conflict. He also wrote online about his family, friends, and childhood trips to Yellowstone.

He ran an art gallery in Santa Fe, and his friends told the California Sunday Magazine in 2015 he didn't get into treasure hunting until the 1980s, when he was diagnosed with cancer.

Explorers who went searching for Fenn's treasure in the West thanked the late adventurer for the chase of a lifetime.

"He shared the beauty of the wilderness and that was the real prize," one user wrote.

Awwww.... off on a new adventure. Rest in peace, Fenn...
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Thread Information