Thread: Joseph Clinton Mills (58) indicted in 1981 cold case rape and murder of Linda Patterson Slaten (31)

Don't drink sanitizer! raisedbywolves's Avatar

Joseph Clinton Mills (58) indicted in 1981 cold case rape and murder of Linda Patterson Slaten (31)

https://www.tampabay.com/news/crime/...-based-on-dna/

More than 38 years and three months after a Lakeland woman was found dead inside her apartment, a suspect has been arrested and charged with first-degree murder.

Joseph Clinton Mills, 58, of 12013 Bailey Road, Lakeland, was arrested by Lakeland Police Department detectives on Dec. 12 and charged with the murder and sexual battery of 31-year-old Linda Patterson Slaten. Mills would have been 20 years old at the time of her death.

New DNA technology offered by Parabon Nanolabs matched Mills? DNA through a genetic genealogy report in June, according to a police report.
    In December 2018, the DNA was sent to Parabon for testing. The resulting report indicated that the person who most likely killed Slaten was Joseph Mills, according to an arrest affidavit filed last week with the Polk County Clerk of Courts.
    https://www.theledger.com/news/20191...nd-youth-coach
    After 38 years of asking the Lakeland Police Department for updates in the rape and murder of their mother, Linda Patterson Slaten, on Sept. 3, 1981, Tim and Jeff Slaten finally have seen their excruciatingly long wait end.

Standing beside detectives during a media conference at police headquarters Thursday, it was announced that Joseph Clinton Mills, 58, of Lakeland, had been arrested and indicted by a grand jury in the 31-year-old woman?s brutal death at her Brunnell Parkway Apartment.

The two men were only 12 and 15 years old at the time their mother was found dead in her bedroom with a wire hanger wrapped around her neck.

?He was my football coach, and I trusted this man. He would take me to the games and brought me home afterwards,? said Tim Slaten, now 50. ?I saw the crime scene, it is still burned in my brain today.?
    Mills was indicted by a Polk County grand jury Thursday morning on charges of first-degree murder, burglary and two counts of sexual battery, in addition to perjury charges for his testimony before jurors last week. Under oath, Mills told the grand jury that he had never been inside Slaten?s Lakeland apartment and had never had sexual relations with her.

But in a statement to detectives after that court appearance, Mills contradicted himself, admitting that he had ?consensual sex? with Slaten, stating that when he went to her apartment on Sept. 3, 1981, he parked down the road and crawled through her bedroom window rather than go through the front door.

Mills ? who was 20 years old at the time ? said that once inside, Slaten asked him to engage in ?wild sex,? according to his arrest affidavit.

?Mills stated upon entering Linda Slaten?s bedroom, Linda Slaten already had a wire hanger around her neck as she lay on the bed. Mills stated he twisted the wire hanger around her neck tighter and tighter while engaging in sexual intercourse with Linda Slaten until she lost consciousness.?

He told detectives he ejaculated, then left, and that Slaten was still unconscious when he left through the same window.

OMG, he was her son's football coach, I can't begin to imagine how awful that must feel.

I love how Parabon is kicking arse on these cold cases. I hope murderers who thought they got away with it decades ago, are starting to look over their shoulder again.

So he wants us to believe he sneaked in through her window and she begged him to engage in consensual "wild sex," and then he left through the same window? I admit that sounded like a lot of extra work to get to someone who wanted to have sex anyway. Come to find out, it's not that difficult at all, assuming her bedroom window is in the front (sister said she was walking by and noticed the screen out). Still not buying it though.

You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Don't drink sanitizer! raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    OMG, he was her son's football coach, I can't begin to imagine how awful that must feel.

I love how Parabon is kicking arse on these cold cases. I hope murderers who thought they got away with it decades ago, are starting to look over their shoulder again.

So he wants us to believe he sneaked in through her window and she begged him to engage in consensual "wild sex," and then he left through the same window? I admit that sounded like a lot of extra work to get to someone who wanted to have sex anyway. Come to find out, it's not that difficult at all, assuming her bedroom window is in the front (sister said she was walking by and noticed the screen out). Still not buying it though.
    there's a lot of middle age and older folks suddenly feeling not so good right about now. I have a lot of concerns about the whole DNA test thing, but that cat's already out of the bag, and since it is we should at least use it for good by nailing these cold case criminals!

If it was consensual why in the world would he enter and leave the house by the window? That makes no sense to me, no matter how easy the window was to get in. No one else was home, so it wasn't like she was trying to have a secret affair while her husband was in the living room or something like that.

Thread Information