Thread: Federal officer Dave Patrick Underwood (53 ) & Sgt. Damon Gutzwillerm (38) allegedy killed by Boogaloo extremist Steven Carrillo (32) and Robert Alvin Justus Jr (30)

Federal officer Dave Patrick Underwood (53 ) & Sgt. Damon Gutzwillerm (38) allegedy killed by Boogaloo extremist Steven Carrillo (32) and Robert Alvin Justus Jr (30)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ed/5308024002/

OAKLAND, Calif. ? A federal law enforcement officer who was shot and killed while providing security at the U.S. courthouse in Oakland during a protest was identified Sunday.

Dave Patrick Underwood, 53, died from gunshot wounds sustained after someone fired shots from an unidentified vehicle Friday night, the FBI said Sunday.

Another officer was critically injured in the drive-by shooting outside the Ronald V. Dellums Federal Building. An update on the officer's condition has not been released.

No one has been arrested and a motive for the shooting has not been determined. The FBI, Oakland police and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms were investigating the shooting.

The contract security officers worked for the Department of Homeland Security?s Federal Protective Service and were monitoring a nearby protest over the police killing of George Floyd in Minnesota, according to DHS officials.

Underwood was the brother of Angela Underwood Jacobs, recently a Republican candidate to fill a vacant U.S. district north of Los Angeles.

?My brother, Dave Patrick Underwood, a federal officer, was murdered 5/29/20 in Oakland California, while on duty during the riots,? she posted on Facebook Saturday. ?This Violence Must Stop.?

?He was a good man, everybody in the community loved him," his friend Antwon Cloird said.

The protest in downtown Oakland began peacefully Friday but sank into chaos late into the night. City officials said at least 70 businesses were damaged or destroyed. Police said 13 officers were injured.

It wasn't immediately known if the killing was related to the protest.

Gunshot at Cincinnati cop was 'intentional', police chief says

In Cincinnati, a police officer was struck in the helmet by a bullet Saturday night during a confrontation with protesters, but wasn't injured, the city's police chief says.

The round went through the officer's shield and struck his helmet. Cincinnati Police Chief Eliot Isaac said the officer initially thought it was a rock that struck him.

Isaac described the shooting as "intentional" at a Sunday press conference.

It is not clear who fired the bullet and no arrest has been made. The department is investigating.

Federal officials said they?re seeing more threats and assaults against law enforcement officers at protests and warned that an attack against officers or police stations is considered an act of domestic terrorism.

Contributing: Sarah Brookbank, Sharon Coolidge, Cincinnati Enquirer
    https://abc7news.com/investigators-s...kland/6225953/

OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Federal investigators are looking for a van captured on surveillance camera as the occupants opened fire Friday night at the Federal Building in Oakland, killing a security officer.

I-Team's Dan Noyes was the first to identify the victim over the weekend. Law enforcement sources tell us they are concerned the people in that van may have been connected to the protests, or emboldened by the chaos that night. They say they have to be stopped before they strike again.

David Vasques went to Pinole Valley High School with Pat Underwood, the security officer at Oakland's Federal Building who was shot and killed down during the protest Friday night.

Jennifer Tong, the officer's supervisor, has set up a GoFundMe page to help his family.

RELATED: George Floyd death: Clean up underway as looters do damage at businesses in Oakland, Emeryville following demonstrations

He told the I-Team, "I just fell to my knees. I said, 'God, of all people, why him?' He was so good to a lot of people."

Vasques is also a pastor who is now preparing for a funeral, and trying to console Pat Underwood's fiance. "It was devastating, the family is broken because we know what kind of person Pat was. Pat would not hurt a fly," he said.

Underwood died in a hail of gunfire at 9:45 p.m. Sources tell I-Team his partner was shot three times but survived with a shattered femur.

The surveillance cameras at the fed building captured that image, but not a license plate apparently. The FBI, ATF and Oakland Police are scouring the area for other surveillance cameras, traffic cameras, and looking at news helicopter video from the protest for the white van.

Jennifer Tong, the supervisor of both officers, has set up a GoFundMe page to help each of their families.

RELATED: 'This is not Oakland': Looting suspects came from out of town, city officials say

Jeanne Castro-Ricketts, longtime friend of Underwood says, "He was very close with his family and very close with his friends, he would do anything really for anybody."

The I-Team also spoke today with another of Pat Underwood's lifelong friends. Pat was her brother's best man. Now, Ricketts still can't believe he's gone. "It was senseless, you know, he was standing there trying to protect everybody, and he wouldn't have hurt anybody," she said.

David Vasques added, "People out there who are doing senseless crimes and looting, I want you to picture, when you see Pat's face, he stood for justice, he stood for peace, he stood for equality."

Pat Underwood's sister has canceled a news conference for tomorrow in Southern California. She tells us the family is planning a service in the Bay Area on June 12.

Suspect in Custody After Deputy Killed in Ben Lomond: Santa Cruz County Sheriff?s Office

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...ffice/2304856/

UPDATE: Multiple law enforcement agencies have confirmed that one Santa Cruz County Sheriff's deputy has been killed and another injured.

Via a Facebook post, the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office said Saturday an active threat was in place in Ben Lomond.

Authorities provided an update on their Facebook page and confirmed a suspect is now in custody.

The Sheriff's Office first delivered the message on Facebook at around 3 p.m. and asked residents to "please avoid the area" of Alba Road and Highway 9.

No further details are available.

Local

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...a-cruz-county/

BEN LOMOND (CBS SF) — The Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office is holding at least one suspect following an officer-involved shooting and carjacking in Ben Lomond.

Ben Lomond shooting scene. (KION-TV)

According to preliminary information received by CBS affiliate KION-TV, one officer was shot and another was struck by the suspect’s vehicle, a white 2000 Toyota Camry. The suspects then fled the vehicle and carjacked another vehicle.

The sheriff’s office said at about 3:15 p.m. Saturday there had been a shooting in the vicinity of Highway 9 near Alba Road in Ben Lomond. Both may have been heavily armed. Sources have told KPIX 5 that the suspect was armed with explosives when taken into custody.

It wasn’t immediately apparent as of 5:30 p.m. how many people had been shot. At least two mentions were made on social media of injured officers, but that has not been confirmed by the Sheriff’s office. A medical helicopter landed in a nearby field to take at least one victim away for medical treatment.

The Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office has released the identity of a deputy who was shot and killed in the line of duty Saturday afternoon.

Sgt. Damon Gutzwiller was responding to reports of a suspicious van parked near Jamison Creek Road in Boulder Creek. A caller told authorities that the van had guns and bomb making materials in it, a sheriff’s department spokesperson said in a statement.

Responding deputies followed the van to a home on Waldeberg Road in Ben Lomond where they were shot at and attacked with explosive devices.
    Gutzwiller, age 38, was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Another deputy was injured by either a gunshot or shrapnel from an explosive device. He was also struck by a car, officials said.

Shortly after the attack on the two deputies, officials said that reports of a carjacking nearby began to come in.

Officers from several agencies responded and took the suspect, Steven Carrillo of Ben Lomond, into custody on suspicion of homicide, carjacking, assault with a deadly weapon and a "myriad of other felonies," officials said. Carrillo was armed and shot while being taken into custody.

Sources said Carrillo has a military background.

“Words cannot express the pain we feel for Damon and his family,” Sheriff Jim Hart said. “He was the kind of person we all hope to be. Today, we lost a hero. We are grateful to have known him and we mourn with his family.”

Gutzwiller was married with a child. He and his wife were also expecting their second child.

The scene in Ben Lomond will remain active through the night.
    Here is an update

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/cali...geant/2305111/

A Northern California sheriff’s deputy was killed and two law enforcement officers wounded Saturday when they were ambushed with gunfire and explosives while pursuing a suspect, authorities said.

The U.S. Air Force confirmed Sunday that the suspect was an active duty sergeant stationed at Travis Air Force Base.

Sgt. Damon Gutzwiller, 38, was shot and killed in Ben Lomond, an unincorporated area near Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz County Sheriff Jim Hart said. A second deputy was injured, and a third officer from the California Highway Patrol was shot in his hand, Hart said.

Gutzwiller “was a beloved figure here at the sheriff’s office,” the sheriff said.

“Damon showed up today to do his job, to keep this community safe, and his life was taken needlessly,” a visibly shaken Hart said.

The suspect, Steven Carrillo, 32, was shot during his arrest and was being treated at the hospital for non-life-threatening injuries, Hart said. The Sheriff’s Department and the FBI are investigating.

A Travis Air Force Base spokesman confirmed Sunday that Carrillo had arrived at Travis Air Force Base in June 2018 and was a member of the 60th Security Forces Squadron. Carrillo’s wife Monika Leigh Scott Carrillo, who was also in the Air Force, was found dead in an off-base hotel in May 2018 while she was stationed in South Carolina. She was 30. Her death was investigated by the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office, in coordination with the Air Force Office of Special Investigations, and ruled a suicide, according to the Air Force.

On Saturday in Santa Cruz County, deputies responded to a 911 call around 1:30 p.m. about a suspicious van. The caller said there were guns and bomb-making devices inside, Hart said.

When deputies arrived, the van pulled away and the deputies followed. The van went down a driveway at Carrillo’s home and the deputies were ambushed by gunfire and explosives after getting out of their vehicle.

Gutzwiller was wounded and later died at a hospital. Another deputy was wounded by gunfire or shrapnel and struck by a vehicle as the suspect fled.

Carrillo attempted to carjack a vehicle and was wounded while being arrested.

Hart said Carrillo was taken to the hospital for treatment and would be charged with first-degree murder.

Gov. Gavin Newsom extended condolences to Gutzwiller’s family and ordered flags at the Capitol to be flown at half-staff in honor of the slain deputy.

“He will be remembered as a hero who devoted his life to protecting the community and as a loving husband and father,” Newsom said in a statement.

The shooting shocked Ben Lomond, a town of about 6,000 people tucked up in the Santa Cruz mountains.

Resident Kathy Crocker brought a bouquet to the sheriff’s office as Hart gave a news conference about the shootings.

“It just breaks my heart that this keeps happening,” she said, as teary-eyed deputies entered the building.

https://abc7news.com/what-we-know-ab...eputy/6236742/

BEN LOMOND, Calif. (KGO) -- The ABC7 I-Team has new information about the suspect in the death of 38-year-old Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Sgt. Damon Gutzwiller.

The Sheriff's Department identified the suspect as 32-year-old Steven Carrillo of Ben Lomond.

The FBI is investigating whether Carrillo is also responsible for the shooting at the Oakland Federal Building that killed security officer Pat Underwood and injured his partner on May 29th. Security cameras caught this white van as the side door opened and gunfire erupted.

Saturday's incident began when someone spotted Carrillo in a white van with weapons and bomb-making materials. Sheriff's deputies followed the van back to his Ben Lomond house, where authorities say he ambushed officers, firing on them and throwing explosives, killing Sgt. Gutzwiller. He bolted in a white sedan, hitting another officer. A female deputy was on the radio when that happened; you can hear her scream.

Shortly after his arrest, Carrillo may have revealed a motive for the attack.

During his arrest, Steven Carrillo shouted at officers, "This is what I came here to fight. I'm sick of these goddamn police."

He gets garbled, but then mentions police "use of force".

Carrillo yelled, "Listen!"

The I-Team has confirmed Carrillo is an active duty military police officer, a staff sergeant assigned to the 60th Security Forces Squadron out of Travis Air Force Base. Carrillo entered the Air Force in Feb. 2009 after completing basic training and security force training at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas. He worked as a recruiter in Brentwood before going to Travis Air Force Base in 2018, according to an Air Force spokesperson.

An Air Force spokesperson also notes Carrillo completed Pheonix Raven training which includes cross-cultural awareness, legal considerations, embassy operations, airfield survey techniques, explosive ordnance awareness, aircraft searches, and unarmed self-defense. He was deployed to Kuwait for four months in 2019 and received the Air Force Achievement Medal for that deployment (medal not just for assignment completion, have to meet a level of performance to receive).

His former colleagues are baffled that, in effect, a cop would target cops.

His friend, Justin Ehrhardt, is a retired Air Force military police officer. "It just breaks my heart, the officers who were impacted and their families, we're supposed to be on the same side."

Ehrhardt told us he spoke with Carrillo just a month ago, about his plans to retire from the service. "He was looking forward to getting out of California, but there was nothing even brought up in a negative light bout anything with police at all."
    Carrillo's Facebook page has been taken down, but I captured his profile picture that lists him as Libertarian, and his friends have been sending me screenshots from the past month. It's clear Carrillo was growing increasingly upset about police excessive force. June 5th, he wrote, "Who need antifa to start riots when you have the police to do it for you..."

Just minutes before yesterday's killing, he posted this from the Holocaust Museum - "the early warning signs of Fascism".

On his Facebook page on May 31, Carrillo reposted a meme that said, "I'll never let racist white people make me forget about the dope white people I know exist. I love y'all." The post includes fist emojis of different skin tones, and both of the "whites" in the meme were crossed out. Carrillo wrote, "The only race that matters, the human race.

Justin Ehrhardt tells us, Carrillo was also having a hard time with his wife's suicide in 2018. She was an Air Force Airman 1st Class, found dead in an off-base hotel in South Carolina.

"A lot of regret, I think was there and it was just challenging for him. But even with all that none of us the people I talked to who were stationed with him even once thought this would happen at all."

https://abc7news.com/what-we-know-ab...eputy/6236742/

BEN LOMOND, Calif. (KGO) -- The ABC7 I-Team has new information about the suspect in the death of 38-year-old Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Sgt. Damon Gutzwiller.

The Sheriff's Department identified the suspect as 32-year-old Steven Carrillo of Ben Lomond.

The FBI is investigating whether Carrillo is also responsible for the shooting at the Oakland Federal Building that killed security officer Pat Underwood and injured his partner on May 29th. Security cameras caught this white van as the side door opened and gunfire erupted.

Saturday's incident began when someone spotted Carrillo in a white van with weapons and bomb-making materials. Sheriff's deputies followed the van back to his Ben Lomond house, where authorities say he ambushed officers, firing on them and throwing explosives, killing Sgt. Gutzwiller. He bolted in a white sedan, hitting another officer. A female deputy was on the radio when that happened; you can hear her scream.

Shortly after his arrest, Carrillo may have revealed a motive for the attack.

During his arrest, Steven Carrillo shouted at officers, "This is what I came here to fight. I'm sick of these goddamn police."

He gets garbled, but then mentions police "use of force".

Carrillo yelled, "Listen!"

The I-Team has confirmed Carrillo is an active duty military police officer, a staff sergeant assigned to the 60th Security Forces Squadron out of Travis Air Force Base. Carrillo entered the Air Force in Feb. 2009 after completing basic training and security force training at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas. He worked as a recruiter in Brentwood before going to Travis Air Force Base in 2018, according to an Air Force spokesperson.

An Air Force spokesperson also notes Carrillo completed Pheonix Raven training which includes cross-cultural awareness, legal considerations, embassy operations, airfield survey techniques, explosive ordnance awareness, aircraft searches, and unarmed self-defense. He was deployed to Kuwait for four months in 2019 and received the Air Force Achievement Medal for that deployment (medal not just for assignment completion, have to meet a level of performance to receive).

His former colleagues are baffled that, in effect, a cop would target cops.

His friend, Justin Ehrhardt, is a retired Air Force military police officer. "It just breaks my heart, the officers who were impacted and their families, we're supposed to be on the same side."

Ehrhardt told us he spoke with Carrillo just a month ago, about his plans to retire from the service. "He was looking forward to getting out of California, but there was nothing even brought up in a negative light bout anything with police at all."
    Carrillo's Facebook page has been taken down, but I captured his profile picture that lists him as Libertarian, and his friends have been sending me screenshots from the past month. It's clear Carrillo was growing increasingly upset about police excessive force. June 5th, he wrote, "Who need antifa to start riots when you have the police to do it for you..."

Just minutes before yesterday's killing, he posted this from the Holocaust Museum - "the early warning signs of Fascism".

On his Facebook page on May 31, Carrillo reposted a meme that said, "I'll never let racist white people make me forget about the dope white people I know exist. I love y'all." The post includes fist emojis of different skin tones, and both of the "whites" in the meme were crossed out. Carrillo wrote, "The only race that matters, the human race.

Justin Ehrhardt tells us, Carrillo was also having a hard time with his wife's suicide in 2018. She was an Air Force Airman 1st Class, found dead in an off-base hotel in South Carolina.

"A lot of regret, I think was there and it was just challenging for him. But even with all that none of us the people I talked to who were stationed with him even once thought this would happen at all."

https://abc7news.com/steven-carrillo...illed/6245579/

The Defense is claiming brain injury

BEN LOMOND, Calif. (KGO) -- Friday we got our first look at the man accused of killing a Santa Cruz County Sheriff's deputy and attempting to kill four other policemen and a civilian.

Steven Carrillo spoke over video conferencing during his arraignment, responding "yes sir" when the judge asked his name.

Prosecutors say they are still deciding whether to seek the death penalty.

"The initial ambush of the officers was just that, an ambush. This individual then waited, other officers arrived at the scene, ambushed them by shooting at them, and literally came up behind their car and ambushed them and tried to murder both of those individuals," said Santa Cruz County District Attorney Jeff Rosell.

Neighbors helped take down Carrillo.

"My client being charged with these heinous offenses. This case is simply beginning," said Carrillo's attorney Jeffrey Stotter.

Stotter confirmed Carrillo was an active duty US Air Force Sergeant and has suffered personal family loss and a traumatic brain injury which he says was not service related.

"I'm not aware what impact these things may have on the case, I'm simply pointing out that there are more colors to Mr. Carrillo and what his possible motivation and what his involvement is," said Stotter.

Stotter also said that Carrillo has expressed sadness over what this has done to the community and families involved.

Neither Stotter nor the District Attorney would comment on Carillo's connection if any to the federal officer shot and killed in Oakland.

Carrillo's arraignment was put over until July. Investigators say they are still looking into what if any connections Carrillo may have to other groups.

The biggest question of all -- "Why would someone do this," said Rosell.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/06/...acebook-group/

Update A New Name got added to the list Robert Alvin Justus Jr., (30) is now charged for murder too against Dave Patrick Underwood

OAKLAND — Nine days after prosecutors charged both suspects with ambushing two Federal Protective Services officers in a deadly shooting, a federal grand jury returned a two-count indictment accused two Northern California residents of planning and carrying out the attack.

The indictment, returned Thursday, charges Steven Carrillo, 32, and Robert Alvin Justus Jr., 30 with murdering FPS Ofc. Dave Patrick Underwood and attempting to murder Underwood’s partner, who was shot and survived. It was an attack federal authorities say specifically targeted police, and was allegedly motivated by the defendants’ links to an anti-law enforcement movement that believes a second civil war is coming.

Carrillo, a former leader of a U.S. Air Force anti-terrorist squadron called the Phoenix Ravens, also faces charges in a deadly ambush of police in Santa Cruz, where he allegedly killed Sheriff Sgt. Damon Gutzwiller and shot two other law-enforcement officers. Carrillo has been transferred to the Santa Rita Jail in Dublin to face the federal charges, and is expected to stay there at least until the end of the week.

If convicted as charged, both defendants would be eligible for a federal death sentence.

At his federal second court appearance Monday, Carrillo appeared on a video chat with a full beard, wearing an extra large red jail jumpsuit. He has still not been arraigned, as the court system is going through the process of assigning an attorney for him; the federal public defender’s office has declined to take on Carrillo because it is already representing Justus.

Carrillo’s attorney in the Santa Cruz case, Jeffrey Stotter, told the judge Monday he was confident that Carrillo would qualify for “indigent representation,” meaning that the courts will likely find Carrillo cannot afford an attorney qualified to handle a death penalty case. He is expected to be assigned a lawyer by the end of the week.

Carrillo did not speak, other than to tell Stotter, “Makes sense. Thank you sir,” after his attorney gave him an update on the process.
    Justus was arraigned on Friday, and entered a not-guilty plea, according to court records. He has waived his right to a speedy trial and isn’t scheduled to appear in court until at least July.
    The indictment includes special findings that Justus and Carrillo planned to kill at least two people, and that they carried out the attack “after substantial planning and premeditation.” Authorities have said the two met one day before the attack, through a Facebook group for followers of the extremist libertarian movement known as “Boogaloo,” which believes in the coming of a second civil war.

Through the indictment, federal prosecutors formally moved to seize the homemade rifle from Carrillo that was allegedly used in both attacks. It is described in court records as an AR-15-style 9?19 mm rifle, “with no manufacturer’s markings.” The weapon qualifies as a machine gun under federal law, prosecutors said.

https://www.ksbw.com/article/steven-...-date/33353663

SANTA CRUZ, Calif. —

The Ben Lomond man accused of the murder of Santa Cruz County Sheriff Sergeant Damon Gutzwiller made his first in-person court appearance Friday in Santa Cruz.

Steven Carrillo, 32, was in court for further arraignment but he did not enter a plea. He did get a new defense team.

The Air Force Staff Sergeant is suspected of being part of an extremist group that's the reason behind all the precautionary security.

Security for Carrillo's first in court appearance was extremely tight.

Bomb-sniffing dogs patrolled the perimeter, law enforcement vehicles surrounded both the Santa Cruz County Courthouse and the Government Center, even prosecutors were protected by armed security.

Family of Carrillo that included his father and brother were present as was Santa Cruz County Sheriff Jim Hart and a contingent of deputies.

The defendant is charged with 19 counts that include: murder, lying in wait, and possession of explosives.

Carrillo informed the court he could not afford to retain his current attorney. The judge appointed the Public Defender’s office to represent him. The defense attorneys declined to comment since they were just appointed by the court.

They have to begin the tedious task of pouring through over 60,000 documents related to their client’s case.

In addition to state charges in the murder of Santa Cruz County Sheriff Sergeant Damon Gutzwiller, Carrillo is also charged in Federal Court for the May 29 murder of Oakland Federal Officer, David Patrick Underwood.

He's scheduled to appear back in Federal Court on August 19.

Carrillo faces the death penalty in both court cases.

The District Attorney's office has not yet decided on what penalty they will pursue.

Carrillo was transported back to the Santa Rita Jail located in Alameda County.

There remains a no-bail hold on Carrillo and he's scheduled to return to court on August 27.

Thread Information