Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your travel memories and stories

Share your travel memories and stories

I am always daydreaming about travel. Lets share our favorite travel stories, memories, pictures, etc.

Every fall me and my husband go to Gatlinburg for a few days. It's so romantic and beautiful in the fall there. I remember taking a family trip there with one of my first boyfriends as a teenager. It was magical (I know that sounds dumb, but it was young teenage love). He spent all of the money he had (that was supposed to go to food) on a nice ruby necklace for me. I love the little ma and pa shops, (especially the fudge shop). We always do the aquarium and putt putt. It's one of my favorite places. It's so peaceful there that I don't mind listening to country music there, even though I hate it.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I have so many great memories! My man and I have been to awesome places since 2013. (In that year we both could finally afford vacationing together.)
    In October 2016, we did a road trip along the Californian West Coast with side trips to Las Vegas and the Yosemite National Park. I remember a small place called Oakhurst, where everybody seemed to be related to each other. 😂 One evening we we were on our way to a new destination and the sun was sinking while the radio played "Something To Remind You" by Staind. This is one of my favorite songs ever and listening to it while looking at the sun, driving on a nearly empty highway with my love next to me was very special.

Our happy place is O'ahu, Hawaii. We've been there 3 times so far. We were supposed to go there a 4th time last April.
    On our first trip we did a dolphin tour. The boat crew was very kind. We had a blast when about 20 dolphins suddenly appeared a few feet underneath us while we were snorkeling. That was awesome.
    What I also vividly remember is the first time I heard whales singing. I nearly cried underwater when I realized what I was hearing. Beautiful.
    Also, my man and I were unbelievably lucky to catch a whole whale FAMILY with our drone. We literally recorded them having some family time, playing and such!

In March 2019 we went to Panama. We started and ended in Panama City and drove around in between, so it was a little road trip as well. I will never forget the kind people at The Corner hostel. We talked a lot, ate a lot, listened to lots of music until late at night, danced and made new friends. The beach was very near, as well as an awesome pizza place.

The first time we went snorkeling was in December 2015 in Bohol, Philippines. I will never forget how colorful and beautiful everything around me was when I had jumped in the water. Everyone was very kind and we saved a lot of money, although we went to many different restaurants.

In September 2018 we went to Mah?, Seychelles. I didn't know the Indian community was very large there. We had a great night at a restaurant called "Bollywood" with tons of delicious food and good music. Our AirBNB was across the street from the ocean, which was awesome. Sadly, some people seemed to be quite arrogant towards tourists, but maybe it was just me.

We also love to do city trips. Amsterdam, Hamburg, Paris, etc. That's our advantage as Europeans. 😊

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Every fall me and my husband go to Gatlinburg for a few days.
    We love Gatlinburg, too - awesome place! When we lived/worked in WashDC, we'd escape to Gatlinburg for a recharge and come back so refreshed. One particularly stressful period, we ran to Gatlinburg five times in like, a year and a half. I love all of the stuff you talked about, the fudge shop, the barbecue restaurants. Also love the shops and cheesy attractions in Sevierville next door.

Quote Originally Posted by StarrySky87 View Post
    I have so many great memories! My man and I have been to awesome places since 2013. (In that year we both could finally afford vacationing together.)
    In October 2016, we did a road trip along the Californian West Coast with side trips to Las Vegas and the Yosemite National Park. <snip>

Our happy place is O'ahu, Hawaii. We've been there 3 times so far. We were supposed to go there a 4th time last April. <snip>
    On our first trip we did a dolphin tour. The boat crew was very kind. We had a blast when about 20 dolphins suddenly appeared a few feet underneath us while we were snorkeling. That was awesome.

What I also vividly remember is the first time I heard whales singing. I nearly cried underwater when I realized what I was hearing. Beautiful.

Also, my man and I were unbelievably lucky to catch a whole whale FAMILY with our drone. We literally recorded them having some family time, playing and such!

In March 2019 we went to Panama. We started and ended in Panama City and drove around in between, so it was a little road trip as well. <snip>

The first time we went snorkeling was in December 2015 in Bohol, Philippines. I will never forget how colorful and beautiful everything around me was when I had jumped in the water. <snip>

In September 2018 we went to Mah?, Seychelles. <snip>

We also love to do city trips. Amsterdam, Hamburg, Paris, etc. That's our advantage as Europeans. 😊
    You've had some fantastic travels, SS78! I love road trips, we try to do a "Great American Road Trip" every two years, and we do at least two "Great European Road Trips" every year.

I've never been to Panama, the Philippines, or Seychelles - Panama Canal is on my Bucket List, though. And I'd love to see the birds of Panama, I've heard they're pretty fantastic.

But you really got me with the whales and dolphins. We cruise a lot so we've seen a lot of porpoise and dolphins playing in the wake.... but not up close like you've seen them. And I've never seen a whale. I think I'd cry if I ever came face to face with a whale like some of the youtube videos I've seen. Did you post your drone's whale footage here somewhere? OMG, I think I'd just die....
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

My husband and I love to travel. We retired 7 years ago after a combined 82 years of really hard work, and have pretty much done nothing but travel until COVID-19 put the kibosh on it in March. We split our time between Scotland, Spain, and the US - traveling between the three every 3-4 months and roadtripping like crazy while we're there. We like to say we drive ourselves mercilessly in the pursuit of relaxation, so don't ever give up the dream - it's achievable!

I want to share one of my favorite trips from May 2018 to the Isle of Lismore in Scotland. This was a bit of a hamefarin for my husband, whose ancestors emigrated from Lismore to Cape Fear, NC in 1773 (just in time to join the American Revolution). The tiny island (~10 sq miles) is part of the Inner Hebrides, accessible by boat or ferry, has a population of less than 200, and is Pure Magic. I felt so welcomed. The people of Lismore are rightfully proud of their island, so proud that they built and maintain an amazing Heritage Museum to tell their story. Prominently featured is the emigration to the colonies. I found it amazing that such a small group of people could accomplish so much. The collected knowledge and documentation of generations of Lismore families is staggering, especially considering the island was inhabited primarily by shepards and farmers. The museum even follows the stories of residents decades after they left.

The island itself is like taking a step back in time in a scene that can only be described as pastoral. A ribbon of country road meanders through the island and sheep graze in open pastures beside sparkling streams. The bleating of sheep and a chorus of songbirds accompanied us everywhere. We watched in awe as a Golden Eagle flew overhead, catch in hand. Besides the Heritage Museum (w/cafe and gift shop), there are some castle ruins, and the heart of the community: the Post Office/General Store/Community Board/Liquor Store (in one convenient location!). It was an unplugged vacation - no TV, phone, email or internet - and we loved it. The charm and tranquility of the island can't be understated. It hasn't changed in hundreds of years and I hope it never does.

Photos: The main road through the island, our cottage, and a sign on the ferry warns dog-walkers about free-range lambs and ewes.

You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

Photos: The beauty of Lismore, the Post Office/General Store, and the iconic highland cattle. I feel like no trip to the highlands would be complete without setting eyes on one of those beauties. It would feel like bad luck if I didn't get to ooh and ahh and moo at my favorite member of the bovine family.

I went to Maui when I was 17 after I graduated high school. I went with a bunch of my best friends, it was soooo fun. We met a bunch of other kids our age on the beach, and since they all were vacationing with their parents, they would come back to our room to party. I met a cute guy and had literal sex on the beach - it's not all it's cracked up to be

We were drinking on the beach one night and the cops showed up, everyone scattered....a cop started to chase me and I was able to jump a fence and get away - to this day I don't know how little me scaled a 7ft fence but I guess it was adrenaline.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    I went to Maui when I was 17 after I graduated high school. I went with a bunch of my best friends, it was soooo fun. We met a bunch of other kids our age on the beach, and since they all were vacationing with their parents, they would come back to our room to party. I met a cute guy and had literal sex on the beach - it's not all it's cracked up to be

We were drinking on the beach one night and the cops showed up, everyone scattered....a cop started to chase me and I was able to jump a fence and get away - to this day I don't know how little me scaled a 7ft fence but I guess it was adrenaline.
    I'm glad you had a good senior trip. I went to Panama for mine.

I had a serious boyfriend back home so no hook ups. I took care of my drunk ass friend the whole time. It was like wrangling a toddler. She was trying to jump balconeys. One night I passed out in a friend's room and a dude passed out in the bed with me...he peed and it got all over me

ETA: my roomates locked me out to hook up with dudes and I had to sleep on the balconey. After that I stayed at my other friends room and slept on a towel on the floor. I nominate that the worst trip ever.
    Last edited by Angiebla; 06-04-2020 at 03:40 PM.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Sounds fun! Hawaii is a recent addition to my Travel Bucket List. I don't know why I have overlooked it for so long, everyone raves about it. I haven't explored the Pacific at all, I'm slowly pushing west. I'd love to cruise to Hawaii and explore all of the islands on my own for a couple of weeks. I'd like to see Alaska the same way, except I probably wouldn't bother getting off the ship except for cheesy official excursions.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I'm glad you had a good senior trip. I went to Panama for mine.

I had a serious boyfriend back home so no hook ups. I took care of my drunk ass friend the whole time. It was like wrangling a toddler. She was trying to jump balconeys. One night I passed out in a friend's room and a dude passed out in the bed with me...he peed and it got all over me

ETA: my roomates locked me out to hook up with dudes and I had to sleep on the balconey. After that I stayed at my other friends room and slept on a towel on the floor. I nominate that the worst trip ever.
    Mine was Montreal and Quebec. My friend and I were dating brothers (later married them), but hung out drinking with a couple of cute French students from Toulouse, Phillipe and Antoine. Phillipe and I have stayed in touch for 45+ years, employing a variety of means to do so - starting as "pen pals," and ending as FB friends!

I didn't get a senior trip. You guys suck!

I went to Hawaii as a small kid and the undertow got me and pulled me out to sea and I had to be rescued. I would like to go back and see it as an adult (and not almost drown).

My all time favorite place to go is Akumal,Mexico, which means 'Place of the turtles'. Sadly it has become overrun with tourists and instagram posers, but when I started going almost 20 years ago it was just a sleepy little fishing village about an hour south of Cancun. These pics were taken while snorkeling, not diving. It is a protected area, and the sea life there is amazing! The grouper that is surrounded by the bait ball is probably bigger than a grown man. I am only posting one turtle pic, but usually you can see up to 10 at any given time in the bay. I used to dream about retiring and moving down there. It's just becoming too touristy now though.

Last edited by raisedbywolves; 06-07-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Love, love, LOVE these pictures, RBW! I love the ocean and cruising and marine life, but I'm incredibly uncomfortable in open water. I'm not a swimmer and even with flotation devices, I'm scared to death. Tried to snorkle once in the Bahamas and it ended badly. So I'll probably never get to see this in person and must live vicariously through people like you. It looks positively beautiful, and I imagine it's quite serene (unless you're having a panic attack like me ).

Wow, looks like an amazing place! ❤️

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Sounds fun! Hawaii is a recent addition to my Travel Bucket List. I don't know why I have overlooked it for so long, everyone raves about it. I haven't explored the Pacific at all, I'm slowly pushing west. I'd love to cruise to Hawaii and explore all of the islands on my own for a couple of weeks. I'd like to see Alaska the same way, except I probably wouldn't bother getting off the ship except for cheesy official excursions.
    It is beautiful but the air....holy shit. So humid. It bitch slapped me in the face the second I got off the plane. It was so bad after a few minutes outside my hair would frizz

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

New Orleans Mardi Gras. Nuff said.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

It is beautiful but the air....holy shit. So humid. It bitch slapped me in the face the second I got off the plane. It was so bad after a few minutes outside my hair would frizz
    It's been like that in South Florida all week. I hate this kind of humidity. Yesterday at 9am I walked outside and it felt like someone threw a hot, wet blanket over me. I never knew Hawaii was like that. I thought there was a constant island breeze that kept the humidity at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    It's been like that in South Florida all week. I hate this kind of humidity. Yesterday at 9am I walked outside and it felt like someone threw a hot, wet blanket over me. I never knew Hawaii was like that. I thought there was a constant island breeze that kept the humidity at bay.
    Not in June of 2001 when I was there

One of my most memorable travel experiences was going to Chichen Itza back in 2003. We rode over from Playa Del Carmen on a bus, but we stayed after all the tourists left for the day, and we stayed at the Mayaland Hotel. https://www.mayaland.com/en/hotels/c...otel-bungalows The hotel has hosted JFK, several royal figures including the Queen of England, and it just ooooooozes history. It's actually on the grounds of the archeological site, and it's where they stayed as they excavated the ruins. The grounds are gorgeous, and the air just smells different there. I felt like I was 'feeling' history while we were there.

This was back when you could climb the pyramid still, and despite my intense fear of heights I climbed it three times.

There is actually another pyramid inside the main pyramid, and they let us go in it (they only do that a few times a year I have read). It was super steep and clausterphobic to climb up inside it, but at the top there was a jaguar alter with jade eyes. It was really cool! Here's a link to someone else's pic of it https://joyoustimesdotorg.wordpress....yramid-mexico/

After all the buses left, we were like the only people in the ruins and we wandered around for hours.

At night we got to go back inside the ruins and go to a cheesy light and history show, but it was just surreal to be in the ruins at night.

I would love to go back and see it again in a way, but I am afraid that it would be too touristy now, or that things have changed, and I don't want anything to ruin my memories of the 1st time we went. I have a ton of cool pics I would love to post, but this was back in the day before digital, so they are all put away in photo albums. I need to do look at them and reminisce.

That hotel looks amazing. I love staying in hotels with a rich history. It really does make the stay special and it's easy to do in Europe, where they don't tend to tear down and rebuild like we do. When I told a desk clerk we selected their hotel for it's historic significance, she apologized for having to put us in "the new part" of the hotel - an addition that had been added in 1725.

I have not seen the ruins, but they are definitely on my list. I'm fascinated by all things old. I don't think you should go back. Remember that time and place for the special moment it was.

I highly recommend the ruins and the hotel! These were the ruins that started my Mayan ruin obsession. I have now been to Chichen Itza, Tulum, Ek Balam, and Coba in the Yucatan peninsula, and Xunantunich in Belize. I really want to see Palenque and Uxmal though.

This isn't me in this random video I grabbed from YT, but a few years ago we did this. We lucked out and my husband and I were the only ones booked for the day we went. It was incredible!

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    That is soooo cool, rbw!!! That would be so awesome to swim with the world's largest fish! I used to call them "waffle sharks", because they reminded me of the waffles we used to make.

Now I need a vacation.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    That is soooo cool, rbw!!! That would be so awesome to swim with the world's largest fish! I used to call them "waffle sharks", because they reminded me of the waffles we used to make.

Now I need a vacation.
    It was one of the coolest things I have done. Plus, you don't have to be scuba certified to do it. You breathe from a canister of air, but you are snorkeling essentially. That being said, I want to go back and dive the aquarium one day. I didn't know you had to have your C-card with you to do it, so I didn't get to dive...but swimming was no less mind blowing.

On top of the whale sharks there are giant mantas (which I am fascinated with), several species of sharks, and all kinds of smaller fish in the aquarium. The guitarfish and leopard whipray were some of my favorites that we saw.

This lists all the animals in that tank and gives some details on it.

https://www.georgiaaquarium.org/gall...voyager/?type=

Thread Information