Thread: Tony McDade, (38) Killed by Tallahassee Police

Tony McDade, (38) Killed by Tallahassee Police

https://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Sta...570834501.html

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WCTV) ? A Tallahassee resident shot and killed by police Wednesday vowed they would never return to federal prison in a haunting Facebook live video posted the previous day.

Natosha ?Tony? McDade, 38, died after a confrontation with police on Holton Street. Officers tried to stop McDade in connection with a deadly stabbing on Saxon Street minutes earlier.

?It?s just Tony the Tiger all alone coming for your blood,? McDade said in the Facebook Live post, ?And after I get through killing you (expletive) I?m going to go back on live if I have the opportunity, because I will not be going back to prison.?

?Me and the law will have a standoff,? McDade said, ?Because I?m fed up.?

The Bureau of Prisons website shows McDade was just released from federal prison on January 17, 2020 after serving a ten year sentence on weapons charges.

McDade was indicted by a federal grand jury in 2009 for possession of a gun and ammunition by a convicted felon. Federal court records indicate McDade was sentenced to 10 years in prison on those charges to be followed by three years of supervised release.

?All I ask of you is to make sure my mother is fine once I depart,? McDade said in the Facebook Live post. ?I am killing and going to be killed because I will not go back into federal prison.?

Leon County court records show that McDade was arrested a few weeks ago after a confrontation outside the Circle K on South Monroe Street in which a woman claimed McDade threatened her and pulled a gun on her.

The arrest affidavit dated May 4, 2020 says officers later talked with McDade, who admitted the two had argued outside the Circle K but told officers the gun in question was a BB gun. The affidavit says officers found that BB gun under the driver?s seat of McDade?s car saying it was ?nearly identical to an actual firearm and was only determined to be a BB gun upon closer inspection.?

Leon County court records show McDade was charged with aggravated assault and released on bond the next day.

Leon County court records show McDade had several prior arrests between 1999 and 2009 including arrests for armed robbery, battery and forgery. Florida Department of Corrections records show McDade did two stints in state prison including five years on the armed robbery charge.

Tallahassee Police are identifying McDade as a woman, but acquaintances of McDade, as well as the Human Rights Campaign, have told WCTV that McDade identified as a transgender man.

Ed. note: WCTV is continuing to use McDade's full name, Natosha "Tony" McDade, because it is the name being used by Tallahassee Police.

Copyright 2020 WCTV. All rights reserved.

https://www.wtxl.com/news/local-news...wntown-protest

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (WTXL) — The Tallahassee Police Department is investigating after a driver "proceeded" through a crowd of protesters in downtown Tallahassee.

Police said a peaceful protest was taking place along Monroe Street near the Capitol building Saturday morning when a vehicle "proceeded into the crowd."

They said the driver of the vehicle was immediately detained. As of now, TPD said there are no known injuries.

"This is an extremely tense, emotional time across the nation. Mutual respect among all of us is vital," the department wrote in their release. "The Tallahassee Police Department supports the nonviolent gathering of protesters and will uphold their constitutional right to do so while making every effort to maintain a safe environment for our community."

Mayor John E. Dailey
    @MayorOfTLH
    Earlier today an individual struck a crowd of peaceful protestors with their vehicle in downtown Tallahassee at a low rate of speed. Thankfully no one was seriously injured. The driver of the vehicle was immediately taken into custody.

Video obtained from Michael Johnson by ABC 27 shows a red truck being surrounded by protesters on all sides before one of the people in the crowd begins punching a passenger inside the truck.

The truck then revs up and lurches forward, several protesters jumping out of the way to avoid being hit.

Another video obtained by ABC 27 shows the aftermath of the incident, as the people inside the vehicle got out of the car and walked over to a nearby TPD cruiser.

Police are asking anyone with information, including video, to contact them. Once the investigation is complete, they say all information will be forwarded to the State Attorney's Office.a

https://news.wfsu.org/state-news/202...views-evidence

During what Tallahassee police called a peaceful protest this afternoon in Florida's capital city, the driver of a red truck accelerated into a group of protesters on Monroe Street downtown.

Hundreds gathered on the lawn of the Old Capitol building in Tallahassee just after noon. It was one of many demonstrations nationwide Saturday held in the wake of George Floyd's death, an unarmed black man who was killed by a Minneapolis police officer, now arrested and charged with third degree murder.

Protesters were also chanting about a rash of violence locally, which includes the killing of 38-year-old Tony McDade by a Tallahassee police officer. McDade, who identified as transgender-masculine, is also accused of killing 21-year-old Malik Jackson in a stabbing Wednesday. The Tallahassee Democrat reports three more people have been injured and one killed in shootings since then.

Tallahassee protesters outside the Capitol Saturday eventually walked into the intersection of Monroe Street and Apalachee Parkway. Tallahassee police blocked off traffic to the intersection, diverting cars away from the area.

But as the crowd began to march north up Monroe Street, a group of protesters surrounded a red truck. The truck accelerated, hitting several protesters. The truck had a Georgia license plate.

Some protesters at the scene told WFSU that at least one person was hurt. Police are saying there are "no known injuries."

Several eyewitness videos circulating on social media show a white male being detained by police, as officers tried to keep protesters back.

TPD has since released a statement about the driver, but the agency has not said whether an arrest had been made as of Saturday afternoon:

"This morning, as a peaceful protest was occurring downtown along Monroe Street near the Capitol building, a vehicle proceeded into the crowd. The driver was immediately detained. As of this time, there are no known injuries.

This is an extremely tense, emotional time across the nation. Mutual respect among all of us is vital. The Tallahassee Police Department supports the nonviolent gathering of protesters and will uphold their constitutional right to do so, while making every effort to maintain a safe environment for our community. We are asking anyone with information, including video, to please contact TPD. Once the investigation is complete, all information will be forwarded to the State Attorney.

Additional details will be made available as the investigation into this morning’s incident continues.

— Chief Lawrence Revell"

I see this case a little different from some of the other ones that are going on currently. This person said they were going out to kill and be killed. I think they were intent on suicide by cop.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I see this case a little different from some of the other ones that are going on currently. This person said they were going out to kill and be killed. I think they were intent on suicide by cop.
    It just happens to be that all this shit is happening at the same time as the George Floyd Protests are taking place with questions over how things has changed since Rodney King or in this case not changed. All these protests have merged at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLanders View Post
    It just happens to be that all this shit is happening at the same time as the George Floyd Protests are taking place with questions over how things has changed since Rodney King or in this case not changed. All these protests have merged at this point.
    I understand what you're saying, but this one is different. This person went out with the intention of committing a crime and then urging cops to shoot them so they would be dead and not have to go back to prison.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but this one is different. This person went out with the intention of committing a crime and then urging cops to shoot them so they would be dead and not have to go back to prison.
    Yes, this situation is totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...ng/5300384002/

Tony McDade — known then as Natosha to family, friends and law enforcement — was desperate.

After serving a five-year prison sentence for armed robbery, McDade was behind bars again on a probation violation she got after Tallahassee police found her with guns and drugs.

She wrote then-Leon Circuit Judge Mark Walker in early October 2009 pleading for mental health treatment and begging for a second chance. She said the underlying robbery was actually "a drug deal gone bad" and that someone set her up with the gun to get her in trouble.

“I promise I’ll do right,” McDade wrote. “Please Judge Walker don’t send me back for something I didn’t do. I’ll lose it. Besides while in prison I smoked weed, popped Ecstasy and drank liquor. The officers brought it in and staff members so what good will that do. Prison seems to get you nowhere but still high.”

McDade said her rap sheet of more than a dozen arrests showed she was “a fighter not a gun user” and pleaded to be sent to Florida State Hospital in Chattahoochee for treatment if convicted.

“I have an anger problem and always fought behind my anger,” McDade wrote. “I NEED HELP PLEASE SIR. I have a mental problem.”

But McDade was in far deeper trouble than she knew. Around the time she wrote the letter, a federal grand jury indicted her on serious gun charges from the arrest.

She got 10 years in prison and was transferred far from home, to the Metropolitan Detention Center in Brooklyn, New York.

Last week, McDade, 38, was shot and killed by a Tallahassee police officer after allegedly stabbing to death Malik Jackson, 21, the son of a next-door neighbor. The stabbing came only hours after a group of men brutally attacked McDade in an incident caught on cell phone video.

The deaths of Jackson and McDade left the Bond community in mourning and their loved ones shattered. Police have said the officer fired after McDade threatened him with a gun, but many residents of Holton Street and Leon Arms apartments, where the shooting happened, are doubtful.

Now, McDade's name has become a rallying cry for protesters in Tallahassee joining in nationwide demonstrations over the death of George Floyd, a black man, after an encounter with Minneapolis police.

Floyd’s death last week led to unrest — and disturbing clashes between police and citizens — in major cities across the country. In Tallahassee, the protests have been mostly peaceful aside from some broken windows and an incident involving a red pickup truck that drove through a crowd of protesters on Monroe Street. No one was injured.

McDade 'had so much pain'
    McDade, a Tallahassee native, grew up in the Four Points and Ridge Road areas, said McDade’s mom, Wanda McDade, and McDade’s best friend, Teill Roberson.

Get the Coronavirus Watch newsletter in your inbox.
    Updates on how the coronavirus is affecting your community and the nation

Delivery: Varies
    McDade attended Oak Ridge Elementary, Fairview Middle and Godby High schools. Growing up, she was close to her only sibling, an older brother.

“Tosha was a very loving person,” said Roberson, who met her in sixth grade. “She was always smiling an infectious smile. Everyone loved Tosha. People just gravitated toward her because of the type of person she was.”

Tony McDade
    Tony McDade (Photo: Special to the Democrat)

A self-proclaimed chef, McDade was learning to cook vegetarian food. She liked to play basketball and box. McDade could sing — but not in front of an audience.

“Her singing was a very hidden talent,” Roberson said. “She was very shy about singing. So many people would not know that she was a singer because she kept that (private).”

McDade, who had "True Gemini" tattooed on her neck, displayed traits associated with the sign, Roberson said.

"She's a Gemini," she said, "so she has that ambivert (quality) where one minute she's an introvert and one minute she's an extrovert."

McDade knew happiness and joy. But traumatic events and multiple incarcerations left her psychologically scarred. She was prescribed medication and wrote in court documents that she spent time at Apalachee Center’s crisis stabilization unit.

“There were a series of life events that caused some of the mental anguish that Tosha experienced in life,” Roberson said. “And that was over a long span. It’s just different things that Tosha experienced.”

In a live Facebook video posted before the shooting, McDade alluded to years of sexual abuse and said her mom “cried a river of tears” to state child welfare workers who didn’t help.

“Nobody knows what’s going on with Natosha,” McDade said in the video, which is under review by law enforcement. “Nobody knows Natosha was neglected.”

Wanda said her child, who lived with her in a Saxon Street triplex, broke down in tears sometimes.

“She wanted to be all together,” her mom said. “But she was struggling, struggling, struggling. She had friends ... and they tried to help her. But what she was up against — she had so much pain. Some law enforcement stood up for her and tried to help her. It just (maybe) wasn’t enough."

'I love my child no matter what'
    McDade wrestled with gender identity. Over the past year or two, McDade began transitioning to a man.

“When she started the transition, she wanted to be known as Tony,” Roberson said. “When you hear people who say ‘she,’ those are people who have been in Tosha’s life for a very long time, and that’s how we identify Tosha. And when youhearpeople who say ‘he,’ those are the ones ... who also identify Tosha as male.”

Roberson said she and Wanda have been referring to McDade as Natosha Tony McDade as a way to acknowledge the past and present.

Black Lives Matter protests in front of the Leon County Courthouse where members of the NAACP meet with Tallahassee Police Chief Lawrence Revell. The protest was part of the nationwide protest of the killing of George Floyd at the hands of the Minneapolis Police Dept combined with the controversial killings of Tony McDade and Mychael Johnson at the hands of Tallahassee police. (Photo: Ken Lanese/Special to the Tallahassee Democrat)

"That way you satisfy everyone," Roberson said. "You satisfy the parents, the friends, the people who identified her as Tony."

"That covers everything," McDade's mom said. "I love my child no matter what."

Transgender advocates oppose the use of “dead names,” or birth names of people who transition, and consider them dehumanizing. The Tallahassee Democrat is using McDade’s blended name in accordance with family and close friends who knew McDade best and to fully inform crime victims and the public.

It's unclear how important names and pronouns were to McDade. Witnesses in the most recent arrest used the name Latosha, and McDade had a number of aliases including "Kiti," according to court records. McDade used both Tony and Natosha in the Facebook video.

Roberson said she and the family hope McDade’s death will focus attention on the need for more mental health treatment and resources.

“We want to spread mental health awareness,” she said. “We want to continue to spread gender identity awareness because there are people who are struggling with that.”

'I will not go back to prison'
    After serving time in New York, McDade returned home to Tallahassee. But there was another run-in with police last month after McDade allegedly threatened someone outside a Circle K with a black Colt Defender BB gun that looked like a real firearm.

McDade, who was known to carry a BB gun, told investigators the safety was on at the time, according to the police report. The gun was confiscated and placed into evidence.

On Tuesday, after events that remain unclear, a group of men brutally beat McDade in an incident partially captured on cell phone video.

Later that day, McDade went live on Facebook, venting deep pain and anguish and vowing revenge on the attackers and a confrontation with police.

“It’s just Tony the Tiger all alone coming for your blood,” McDade said. "I am killing and going to be killed, because I will not go back into federal prison."

By Wednesday afternoon, McDade was dead, along with a next-door neighbor’s son, Malik Jackson, who was reportedly involved in the beating. McDade stabbed Jackson around 10:45 a.m., police said, before going on the run, making it as far as housing complexes on Holton Street.

More: 'Long live Malik': Tallahassee family, friends pay tribute to slain youth after stabbing

About 15 minutes later, an officer spotted someone matching McDade’s description outside the apartments, TPD Chief Lawrence Revell said in a news conference later that day. Before the officer could get out of his car, McDade allegedly pointed a gun at him, prompting him to use deadly force.

Revell said it was “way too early to make any determination" on the events of that day. Two other fatal TPD shootings from this year remain under investigation.

'Show the tape'
    A number of residents in the apartments on Holton Street have labeled the shooting unjust. Some asserted McDade wasn’t armed. Others said McDade wasn’t acting aggressively.

The Florida Police Benevolent Association, in a lawsuit filed Monday to shield the officer’s name from public release, said McDade pointed a gun at the officer from close range. Another officer had to kick the gun away from McDade, who continued to reach for it after falling to the ground, the complaint says.

Protesters have called on police and State Attorney Jack Campbell to release any body camera footage, something they have resisted so far out of concern it could bias grand jurors.

Mutaqee Akbar, a Tallahassee attorney advising some of the protesters, said giving the community answers outweighs the grand jury concerns. He added "a whole community of people" didn't see a gun or a reason for the officer to shoot McDade.

“So with the national discussion what it is, with her being grouped into that national discussion and with the discrepancies in the story as far as whether she was armed or not, I think it’s in the community’s best interest to show the tape," he said.

More: Tallahassee law enforcement leaders, protesters talk 'concessions' during negotiations

Campbell said he couldn’t go into details about the case because of pending investigations.

“Technically, it’s a double homicide,” he said. “The first murder is under investigation and then the officer involved killing is also under investigation. So once I get results on both of those I can take action. It’s all sort of intertwined.”

Akbar, in an open letter to Campbell posted Sunday on Facebook, called on him to release the body-cam footage. Campbell responded Tuesday, saying releasing the information before adjudication would be unethical and unlawful.

"This office abhors violence," Campbell said. "We stand shoulder to shoulder against excessive force by law enforcement. But we must fight fairly and lawfully. Just as violence begets violence, injustice cannot be cured by failing to follow the law."

'A piece of the story'
    Roberson and Wanda McDade said they’re waiting for answers from police. But they have doubts the shooting was necessary.

“It is still under investigation,” Roberson said. “I think whether they followed protocol or not, it’s very questionable.”

Shell casings on the pavement are marked for evidence after an officer involved shooting occurred at the Holton Street apartments complex Wednesday, May 27, 2020. The person who was killed by police is believed to have stabbed and killed a man on Saxon Street.Buy Photo
    Shell casings on the pavement are marked for evidence after an officer involved shooting occurred at the Holton Street apartments complex Wednesday, May 27, 2020. The person who was killed by police is believed to have stabbed and killed a man on Saxon Street. (Photo: Alicia Devine/Tallahassee Democrat)

They’re also preparing to lay McDade to rest on Saturday. The family launched a GoFundMe page to help pay for the funeral, burial and headstone, and activists working with the family created their own fundraiser. A GoFundMe also has been started to help Jackson family cover funeral expenses.

“Natosha (Tony) was in pain and emotionally and mentally hurting,” they wrote. “We have heard your prayers, call to action and see your posts — we are grateful and appreciative of it all.”

Wanda McDade said she’s trying to get by the best she can. Friends, community activists and the church have stepped in to help.

“I’ve cried and I’ve prayed and I fell to my knees,” she said. “But I have a lot of love, a lot of support and overall God has kept me.”

She declined to talk about the murder her child is accused of committing.

“That’s a piece of the story — just a little piece,” Wanda McDade said. “You need to be told the whole story, and let’s leave it at that.”
    https://www.tallahassee.com/story/ne...ng/5300384002/

The Police Killing You Probably Didn?t Hear About This Week (Tony McDade, 38)

https://www.facebook.com/tony.mcdade.39

https://www.motherjones.com/crime-ju...hooting-death/

A Black trans person was killed in a police encounter in Florida, the "epicenter of anti-transgender violence."Sipa USA via AP

On Wednesday evening, while Minneapolis burned, several dozen mourners held a candlelight vigil in Tallahassee, Florida, for Tony McDade. McDade, a Black trans-masculine person, was shot and killed by police on Wednesday morning.

The circumstances surrounding McDade's death are still murky. Tallahassee police say McDade was a suspect in a fatal stabbing that occurred shortly before his death. Police say he was armed with a handgun and he 'made a move consistent with using the firearm against the officer.' An eyewitness told local media that police never tried to deescalate the situation:

'I walked down this way, as soon as I get around this curve, I just hear shots,' [Clifford] Butler told WFSU. 'I see [McDade] right behind the tree, but I see for him (the officer) just jump out the car, swing the door open and just start shooting.'

Butler says he never heard the officer who fired shots give any warning beforehand.

'I never heard 'Get down, freeze, I'm an officer''nothing. I just heard gun shots,' Butler said.

The police have not released the name of the officer involved'thanks to a Florida law that allows officers involved in shootings to be classified as victims to protect their privacy'but witnesses said that he was white.

'Tony was a queer Black American who was gunned down by law enforcement,' says Gina Duncan, director of Transgender Equality for Equality Florida, a statewide LGBTQ advocacy organization. 'Nothing can erase that. Talking about Tony's earlier brushes with the law should not diminish the humanity of this being a person who is now dead and certainly shouldn't diminish the fact that society failed Tony. Tony was calling out for help and society failed Tony in so many ways.'

McDade's death comes on the heels of the high-profile deaths of Breonna Taylor and George Floyd'who were killed in police encounters in Louisville and Minneapolis, respectively'as well as multiple local police shootings that have received less national media attention. Since March, Tallahassee police have fatally shot three people'all of whom were Black. The most recent shooting, of a 69-year-old man named Wilbon Woodard, occurred just a week prior to McDade's death. On March 20, 31-year-old Mychael Johnson was shot to death by officer Zackri Jones, who was also involved in the shooting death of a white man in 2015 (Jones was later cleared of wrongdoing by a grand jury).

'Today's tragic loss of lives affects our entire community. This comes on the heels of disturbing events around our nation that we will not ignore,' Tallahassee Mayor John Dailey tweeted on Wednesday in response to McDade's death. 'The Tallahassee Police Department has committed to a thorough investigation of the events surrounding today's murder and officer-involved shooting, and we are asking the public to share any information they have about the incidents with TPD.'

Florida is also the 'epicenter of anti-transgender violence over the past two years,' Duncan says. Last year, the American Medical Association deemed a surge in the murder of transgender people an 'epidemic.' The vast majority of victims are transgender women of color. Of the 52 reported murders of transgender or gender non-conforming people in the past two years, about 1 in 7 were in Florida.

'What brings Tony McDade's murder so close to home is that this is a national pandemic,' Duncan says. 'We have not only COVID-19 impacting our nation, but also the the virus of institutional racism. No matter what your gender, no matter how you identify, we still have this pervasive culture of Black Americans suffering under overt discrimination by law enforcement. And when you look at the big picture, Tony McDade's shooting is a symptom of that national virus that we're dealing with as a country.'

Last edited by up2trouble; 07-01-2020 at 06:30 PM.

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...ht=Tony+McDade

We have a Thread on Tony McDade. I understand it got buried by other incidents of Police Brutality ever since.

Thread Information