Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: George Floyd (46) Killed by Minneapolis Police

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    He's going to get off. I knew this from the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Just in case the Court TV Livestream isn't already posted :

https://www.courttv.com/title/court-tv-live-stream-web/

https://www.fox9.com/news/judge-not-...ds-2019-arrest

. MINNEAPOLIS (FOX 9) - Judge Peter Cahill said he was "not convinced" by a motion filed by Derek Chauvin?s defense attorney to potentially reverse his prior decision to use evidence from George Floyd?s 2019 arrest.

Monday marked the first day of jury selection in the murder trial of former Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin. In the afternoon session, Chauvin?s defense attorney Eric Nelson asked the judge to reconsider allowing evidence from Floyd?s prior arrest.

Nelson said the defense found meth and fentanyl pills in the back of the police car Floyd?s deadly arrest took place in and around. The defense brought up the 2019 arrest and argued that the pills suggest a "modus operandi" for Floyd ingesting narcotics during an arrest.

In response, Cahill said he didn?t see how it fit as Chauvin was not part of the 2019 arrest.

"I?ll be honest, I?m not convinced," Cahill told the defense.

As Nelson outlined his argument, Floyd's sister left the courtroom for about two minutes, although it is unclear whether it was done in defiance or just to take a break.

The judge adjourned court for the day just before 3 p.m. Court will resume Tuesday morning at 8 a.m., with jury selection beginning at 9 a.m.

Chauvin is charged with second-degree murder and manslaughter for his role in George Floyd?s death last May. He was initially charged with third-degree murder as well, but Cahill dismissed the charge last October, saying it did not apply to this case.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/...t-proceedings/

UPDATE (9:56 a.m.): Jury selection begins in the Derek Chauvin trial. The first potential juror was dismissed. When questioned by the defense, it was revealed that on the 16-page questionnaire she wrote that she wanted to be a juror in the case so that she could give her opinion on the ?unjust death of George Floyd.?

During a pretrial hearing Tuesday, Judge Peter Cahill listened to motions about what to exclude and allow during the trial. He granted the defense?s motion to prohibit non-experts from weighing in on how they would have handled the arrest of George Floyd.

WATCH LIVE: The trial is being live-streamed on CBSN Minnesota.

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) ? The trial of Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer accused of murdering George Floyd, is moving ahead Tuesday with jury selection, even though an appeals court ruling concerning an additional third-degree murder charge could halt proceedings.

Prosecutors are asking the appellate court to put jury selection on hold until the review over adding a third-degree murder charge is complete. However, Judge Peter Cahill said he?ll continue with the trial unless the appeals court tells him to stop.

An announcement from the appeals court could come Tuesday morning.

RELATED: Derek Chauvin Trial, Day 1: Jury Selection Paused For At Least A Day

The delay in jury selection, which was slated to start Monday, stemmed from an appeals court decision last week, when a three-judge panel told Cahill to reconsider adding a third-degree murder charge against Chauvin. According to legal experts, a third-degree charge could make it easier to convict Chauvin.

Currently, the former Minneapolis police officer is charged with second-degree unintentional murder and manslaughter. He has pleaded not guilty to both charges. Initially, he was charged with third-degree murder, but Cahill dropped the charge last fall, citing probable cause.

Also on Monday, Eric Nelson, the attorney for Derek Chauvin, said that his team found methamphetamine and fentanyl in the police squad car in which Floyd was put in on the day of his death. The defense said that the drugs had Floyd?s DNA on them. Drug use appears to be central to the defense?s strategy. Earlier, an autopsy from the state showed that Floyd had fentanyl, methamphetamine and cannabis in his system at the time of his death.

RELATED: Senate GOP Approves $20 Million For Chauvin Trial, But Seeks To Delay New Police Requirements

During a hearing Monday afternoon, the court dismissed 16 jurors of the first 50 potential jurors for ?cause? based on their answers to a 16-page questionnaire.

All potential jurors are being required to fill out the questionnaire, which asks about how much people know about the case, their media habits, connections to law enforcement, and experiences with systemic racism.

The court is seeking to find 12 jurors and four alternates. They must be at least 18 years old, live in Hennepin County and be U.S. citizens.

While the trial will be live-streamed, the jurors ? and potential jurors ? will remain anonymous. During the trial, they will be partially sequestered. However, during deliberations, they will be fully sequestered.

RELATED: Timeline: George Floyd?s Death, Unrest In Minneapolis And The Derek Chauvin Case

Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the number of seats in the courtroom are limited to maintain social distancing. Everyone must wear masks, including the jurors. Only one relative from Floyd?s and Chauvin?s families will be allowed in the courtroom each day.

Floyd, a Black man, died on May 25 after being arrested outside a south Minneapolis convenience store. Bystander video of the arrest showed Chauvin, who is white, kneeling on Floyd?s neck as he lay prone, handcuffed and repeatedly saying he couldn?t breathe. Floyd?s death sparked protests and riots in the Twin Cities. Since then, the nation has been grappling with a reckoning on racial equity and police brutality.

Three other former Minneapolis police officers are also charged in Floyd?s death; their trial is slated for later this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    He's going to get off. I knew this from the beginning.
    I really don't think he will. He's probably one of the most hated men in America right now.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

https://abc7ny.com/george-floyd-sett...arge/10411211/

. MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota -- The city of Minneapolis on Friday agreed to pay $27 million to settle a civil lawsuit from George Floyd's family over the Black man's death in police custody, even as jury selection continued in a former officer's murder trial.

The Minneapolis City Council emerged from closed session to announce the record settlement, which includes $500,000 for the neighborhood where Floyd was arrested. Floyd family attorney Ben Crump called a news conference for 1 p.m. CT that was to include family members.

Crump, in a prepared statement, said it was the largest pretrial civil rights settlement ever, and "sends a powerful message that Black lives do matter and police brutality against people of color must end."

The settlement includes $500,000 for the south Minneapolis neighborhood that includes the 38th and Chicago intersection that has been blocked by barricades since his death, with a massive metal sculpture and murals in his honor.

Floyd was declared dead on May 25 after Derek Chauvin, a former officer who is white, pressed his knee against his neck for about nine minutes. Floyd's death sparked sometimes violent protests in Minneapolis and beyond and led to a national reckoning on racial justice.

"I hope that today will center the voices of the family and anything that they would like to share," Council President Lisa Bender said. "But I do want to, on behalf of the entire City Council, offer my deepest condolences to the family of George Floyd, his friends and all of our community who are mourning his loss."

Floyd's family filed the federal civil rights lawsuit in July against the city, Chauvin and three other fired officers charged in his death. It alleged the officers violated Floyd's rights when they restrained him, and that the city allowed a culture of excessive force, racism and impunity to flourish in its police force.

In 2019, Minneapolis agreed to pay $20 million to the family of Justine Ruszczyk Damond, an unarmed woman who was shot by an officer after she called 911 to report hearing a possible crime happening behind her home.

The federal lawsuit sought unspecified compensatory and special damages in an amount to be determined by a jury. It also sought a receiver to be appointed to ensure that the city properly trains and supervises officers in the future.

Meanwhile, another potential juror was dismissed Friday after she acknowledged having a negative view of the defendant.

The woman, a recent college graduate, said she had seen bystander video of Floyd's arrest and closely read news coverage of the case. In response to a jury pool questionnaire, she said she had a "somewhat negative" view of Chauvin and that she thought he held his knee to Floyd's neck for too long.

"I could only watch part of the video, and from what I saw as a human, I, that did not give me a good impression," she said. She said she did not watch the bystander video in its entirety because "I just couldn't watch it anymore."

The woman repeatedly said she could put aside her opinions and decide the case on the facts, but Chauvin attorney Eric Nelson nonetheless used one of his 15 challenges to dismiss her.

With jury selection in its fourth day, six people have been seated - five men and one woman. Three of those seated are white, one is multiracial, one is Hispanic and one is Black, according to Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill.

Cahill has set aside three weeks for jury selection, with opening statements no sooner than March 29.

Friday's quick dismissal echoed others earlier in the case for similar reasons. On Thursday, one woman was dismissed after she said she "can't unsee the video" of Chauvin pinning Floyd.

Nelson pressed the woman hard on whether she could be fair despite her strong opinions.

"Looking in your heart and looking in your mind can you assure us you can set all of that aside, all of that, and focus only on the evidence that is presented in this courtroom?" Nelson asked.

"I can assure you, but like you mentioned earlier, the video is going to be a big part of the evidence and there's no changing my mind about that," she replied.

Potential jurors' identities are being protected and they are not shown on livestreamed video of the proceedings.

Chauvin and three other officers were fired. The others face an August trial on aiding and abetting charges. The defense hasn't said whether Chauvin will testify in his own defense

Apparently there was a civil settlement that's been announced in relations to George Floyd and this is while the Criminal Trial is underway.

Damn I feel bad for the clerk he was put in a crazy situation here.

I haven't been watching the trial, but I turned on the TV and the defense's closing arguments were on so I stopped and watched for a few minutes. They are blaming everything Chauvin did on the crowd. They are saying that the crowd telling him that Floyd couldn't breathe made it a dangerous crowd, so he had to increase his reactions and couldn't focus on Floyd's status either. At this point I wish they could put the defense lawyer on trial too. That's some BS right there! The crowd wasn't dangerous or violent at all.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I haven't been watching the trial, but I turned on the TV and the defense's closing arguments were on so I stopped and watched for a few minutes. They are blaming everything Chauvin did on the crowd. They are saying that the crowd telling him that Floyd couldn't breathe made it a dangerous crowd, so he had to increase his reactions and couldn't focus on Floyd's status either. At this point I wish they could put the defense lawyer on trial too. That's some BS right there! The crowd wasn't dangerous or violent at all.
    I was listening to it too. They are also blaming the drugs.

Has the prosecution already done their closing arguments yet? I know they are on lunch break now.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I was listening to it too. They are also blaming the drugs.

Has the prosecution already done their closing arguments yet? I know they are on lunch break now.
    Usually the defense closes, then prosecution, and defense gets a follow up. I turned it off but I think that was the initial defense closing.

Usually the defense closes, then prosecution, and defense gets a follow up. I turned it off but I think that was the initial defense closing.
    Ok good. Im glad I didnt miss the prosecutions closing.

I guess the defense isnt speaking again. Its going to the jury now.

Im nervous!
    Last edited by Angiebla; 04-19-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Ok good. Im glad I didnt miss the prosecutions closing.

I guess the defense isnt speaking again. Its going to the jury now.

Im nervous!
    My guess is a hung jury.

My guess is a hung jury.
    I wouldnt be surprised.

The jury has reached a verdict. It will be read as early as 1:30pm Pacific Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    The jury has reached a verdict. It will be read as early as 1:30pm Pacific Time.
    Everybody brace.

This waiting is killing me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Why?

Because I don't like anal penetration sex between men, I don't.

Just because I don't like anal sex, doesn't make me any less gay or unable to be loved.

I can't be the only one out here, I'm just not. Don't worry about it. Mind your fucking business.

Everybody brace.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

They're back on. Reading it now
    Why?

Just because I don't like anal sex, doesn't make me any less gay or unable to be loved.

I can't be the only one out here, I'm just not. Don't worry about it. Mind your fucking business.

Guilty on all three!
    Why?

Guilty, Guilty, Guilty
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Why?

YES!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I'm so shocked. And crying. After enduring what happened in the Kelly Thomas case, I honestly didn't think it would happen.

FINALLY

I can't believe it. FINALLY.

Round 1 done Sentencing lets wait!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLanders View Post
    Round 1 done Sentencing lets wait!
    At least he gets to sit in jail until then.
    Why?

Thread Information