Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: George Floyd (46) Killed by Minneapolis Police

George Floyd (46) Killed by Minneapolis Police

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...er/5265668002/

MINNEAPOLIS ? On Sunday, George Floyd was scheduled to meet with his friend Wallace White, to talk about getting involved with MAD DADS ? Men Against Destruction Defending Against Drugs and Social Disorder, but he couldn't make it. The next day, Floyd was dead.

White watched the video on Facebook Monday showing Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin kneeling on Floyd's neck as he said he couldn't breathe.

?That boy didn?t need to die like that. All the footage showed the man was not resisting him," said White, 56. "He was a gentle giant man. He was loved by everyone around here. He was a real quiet guy, liked to have fun."

Floyd?s volunteer slip sat on MAD DADS chapter president VJ Smith?s desk Tuesday.

George Floyd has become a household name as the viral video sparked outrage and protests across the nation.

In life, friends and family members said the 6-foot-4 Floyd never made an enemy.

?He didn?t like to argue, all that drama and stuff," White said. "He never threw around the fact that he was a bigger guy.?

George Floyd remembered as 'gentle giant' as family calls his death 'murder'
    Nicquel Terry Ellis
    Tyler J. Davis
    USA TODAY

MINNEAPOLIS ? On Sunday, George Floyd was scheduled to meet with his friend Wallace White, to talk about getting involved with MAD DADS ? Men Against Destruction Defending Against Drugs and Social Disorder, but he couldn't make it. The next day, Floyd was dead.

White watched the video on Facebook Monday showing Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin kneeling on Floyd's neck as he said he couldn't breathe.

?That boy didn?t need to die like that. All the footage showed the man was not resisting him," said White, 56. "He was a gentle giant man. He was loved by everyone around here. He was a real quiet guy, liked to have fun."

Floyd?s volunteer slip sat on MAD DADS chapter president VJ Smith?s desk Tuesday.

George Floyd has become a household name as the viral video sparked outrage and protests across the nation.

In life, friends and family members said the 6-foot-4 Floyd never made an enemy.

?He didn?t like to argue, all that drama and stuff," White said. "He never threw around the fact that he was a bigger guy.?

George Floyd died May 25 after a Minneapolis police officer kneeled on his neck while arresting him.
    Floyd's family attorney Benjamin Crump said Floyd leaves behind two daughters, ages 6 and 22, in Houston.

?He was a really good person that everybody seemed to love," Crump told USA TODAY. "He was a gentle giant that when he came in the room he would light up the room. He was so exuberant.?

Crump said Floyd was born in Fayetteville, N.C., but grew up in Houston where most of his family still lives. Floyd was a standout high school athlete who played basketball for South Florida StaCollege, his youngest brother Rodney Floyd said.
    Saturday will mark the two year anniversary of their mother's death, which has only made the pain worse for Floyd's family, he said.

"We've all been down here struggling," said Rodney Floyd, who lives in Houston.

He described George as a doting father who was loved by many in the Houston community.

?He was a great person and he always made everybody feel safe and secure around him," Rodney Floyd told USA TODAY.

Floyd moved to Minneapolis in recent years for better employment opportunities, Crump said. In addition to security jobs at Conga Latin Bistro and the local Salvation Army, Floyd was also a truck driver.
    Christina Dawson, Floyd's ex-girlfriend, told USA TODAY that Floyd was a joy to be around.

"Happy, fun, goofy guy," Dawson said. "He loved to see people happy."

Floyd, 46, had become a popular fixture at Conga Latin Bistro. The restaurant shared photos of Floyd on its Facebook page with one post reading "RIP Sad, we will always remember you." Patrons and colleagues shared memories in the comments.
    He was one of those big teddy bears. This is a huge loss. I really do hope there will be justice for this," one user wrote.

Bistro owner Jovanni Thunstrom said in a Facebook post that the death of Floyd was "just plain murder."

"My employee George Floyd was murdered by a Police officer that had no compassion, used his position to commit a murder of someone that was begging for his life," Thunstrom wrote. "I will like to keep on writing, but my vision is blurry, from the tears coming out of my eyes. I am sorry, I usually don't cry."

Four police officers,Chauvin, Thomas Lane, Tou Thao and J. Alexander Kueng, have been fired over the incident, but Floyd's family and Crump, say that's not enough.

Crump said he believes the officers' actions were fueled by racism and disregard for black lives and that they should be arrested and charged.

?We know if the roles were reversed and black people were accused of killing white people, oh you go to death row," Crump said. "But it seems to be that the message is sent from our legal system, our criminal justice system, that black lives are less valuable than white lives.?

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...-george-floyd/

Athletes protest the death of George Floyd.

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A group of peaceful protestors, organized by athletes, marched through downtown Minneapolis to the Hennepin Bridge, where they took a knee in remembrance of George Floyd.

The march was organized by Minneapolis-born former NBA athlete Royce White and former football player Darrell Thompson.

Over 1,000 protesters started at U.S. Bank Stadium, but the crowd soon moved on, walking through downtown Minneapolis. When they reached Hennepin Bridge, they shut down traffic and took a knee. They then moved to the 35W bridge, where they blocked southbound traffic.

Taking a knee in protest started in 2016, when Colin Kaepernick knelt during the national anthem at a San Francisco 49ers game. The action started a wave of protests to raise awareness about police brutality against the black community.

Kaepernick announced Friday his organization, the Know Your Rights Campaign, will pay for legal assistance for those protesting in Minneapolis.

The Minneapolis protests started Tuesday, the day after George Floyd – an unarmed black man – died while in police custody. Derek Chauvin, the officer who pinned his neck to the ground for over eight minutes, was arrested and charged for third-degree murder Friday afternoon.

The three other officers involved, Tou Thao, Thomas Lane, and J Alexander Kueng, have yet to be charged.
    Sadly it becomes a question of does the courts care about the racial disparities.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...s-for-divorce/

No shit

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A lawyer has issued a statement from the wife of the now-arrested and charged former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, and she said she has filed for divorce.

“This evening, I spoke with Kellie Chauvin and her family. She is devastated by Mr. Floyd’s death and her utmost sympathy lies with his family, with his loved ones and with everyone who is grieving this tragedy. She has filed for dissolution of her marriage to Derek Chauvin,” reads the statement released by Sekula Law Offices.

“While Ms. Chauvin has no children from her current marriage, she respectfully requests that her children, her elder parents, and her extended family be given safety and privacy during this difficult time,” the statement continued.

Meanwhile, on Friday, John Harrington, commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, announced that Chauvin, 44, of Oakdale, was taken into custody by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, who said that Chauvin was arrested in Minneapolis. There was some speculation that he had gone to a home in Florida.

“We have now been able to put together the evidence that we need. Even as late as yesterday afternoon, we did not have all that we needed,” Freeman said, before saying that he was unable to speak to specific pieces of evidence and which one specifically was needed to file charges.

“This is by far the fastest that we’ve ever charged a police officer,” Freeman said.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...n-minneapolis/

More on the fallout

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Last night, Minnesotans and the world saw National Guard members arrive at the 5th Precinct to clear out the crowd. On Saturday, another 1,000 will arrive, for a total of 1,700 soldiers.

That’s the largest deployment in state history, on the eve of what’s expected to be the largest influx of protesters the city has seen so far in the aftermath of George Floyd’s death at the hands of Minneapolis police officers.

RELATED: Protesters Defy Minneapolis Curfew Order, Fires Rage During 4th Night Of Unrest

“Governor Walz authorized the National Guard to increase our strength by 1,000 soldiers to support civil authorities,” Maj. Gen. Jon Jensen said.

Curfew throughout the Twin Cities lifted at 6 a.m., but the order did not stop people from rioting and causing more destruction. Gov. Tim Walz called what unfolded overnight an “incredibly dangerous situation.”

Overnight, we had three armored vehicles stationed just outside our building in downtown.

Meanwhile, block after block of raging fires roared throughout South Minneapolis along Lake Street, and also in pockets of North Minneapolis. Businesses went up in flames and are now destroyed.

RELATED: Mayor Jacob Frey Discusses What Led To The Abandonment Of 3rd Precinct

The Pentagon has taken the rare step of putting military police on alert to come to Minneapolis to help with restoring order, and the Department of Public Safety Commissioner confirmed officers were hurt in last night’s protests.

Anger erupted following the arrest and death of George Floyd on Monday. He pleaded for his life, telling four Minneapolis police officers that he couldn’t breathe.

On Friday, prosecutors charged one of the now former officers involved with murder and manslaughter. Derek Chauvin was seen in a viral video kneeling on Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes. Investigators say that restraint contributed to his death.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...h-minneapolis/

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — WCCO’s award-winning veteran photographer Tom Aviles has been struck by a rubber bullet and taken into custody by the State Patrol Saturday night.

During the arrest, they forced him onto the ground.

Aviles is OK. We’ve called our CBS attorneys, and they’re working on freeing him.

The arrest happened at Nicollet and Franklin at about 8:45 p.m.

He was with veteran producer Joan Gilbertson, who is OK.

They both identified themselves clearly, that they were members of the local media, and WCCO journalists.

Joan told us the patrolman said, “You’ve been warned, or the same thing will happen to you. Or you’re next.”

Joan says she had her hands up and said, “Don’t shoot me, don’t shoot me.”

As of 10:45 p.m. Saturday, Aviles had been released from custody.

I can understand being upset and frustrated that there is racial disparity between African Americans and Caucasians, but destroying people's livelihoods that have nothing to do with the police community is taking it too far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

The Walmart right by where I live closed early (along with numerous places) and barricaded the entrances and exits as a precaution. My oldest called me in a panic because he heard there was rioting in Citrus Heights (where I live) at the Walmart and they were moving to houses and he was worried about it, since we live so close to that Walmart. Except there were no riots....people are posting false info and it's spreading like wildfire

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I just don't understand all the people focused on "oh no, people busted the windows of Bev & Mo, this is terrible!" I mean, a life was taken! Where is the anger in that? People are focusing on the wrong thing here....WHY is this happening? How about people focus on that. A life is worth way more than a multi-million dollar corporation.

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    I just don't understand all the people focused on "oh no, people busted the windows of Bev & Mo, this is terrible!" I mean, a life was taken! Where is the anger in that? People are focusing on the wrong thing here....WHY is this happening? How about people focus on that. A life is worth way more than a multi-million dollar corporation.
    And it's not like this hasn't been coming for a long time. Trump has been stirring the racial tensions that have existed for over a hundred years in this country. And as someone who used to work in law enforcement, the climate of how cops police now is totally different to what we were taught 25 years ago. I don't understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    And it's not like this hasn't been coming for a long time. Trump has been stirring the racial tensions that have existed for over a hundred years in this country. And as someone who used to work in law enforcement, the climate of how cops police now is totally different to what we were taught 25 years ago. I don't understand it.
    Its an old saying "The More things Change, The more things stay the same" Sadly nothing has changed since Rodney King three decades ago as seen here. Or In this case worse than even the worse parts of the Rodney King fallout though.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    And kneeling didn't work, so can people really be surprised when things escalate? It was bound to happen when people weren't being heard.

It 's pretty crazy here, being in the capital of CA. I noticed during the day it is pretty peaceful, but once night hits all hell breaks loose (makes sense). So now the mayor just issued a curfew of 8 pm tonight.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/...t-intentional/

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The world held its breath on Sunday afternoon when a semi-truck drove into a crowd of thousands of protesters on Interstate 35W, speaking out against the death of George Floyd.

Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt or died when that semi driver drove into the protest.

“When you didn’t see bodies under the truck, it was possibly, frankly a miracle, cause the driver was doing 70 mph or in that range,” Gov. Tim Walz said. “I think someone did something really stupid, got in a dangerous situation and people on the highway, feels incredibly lucky that he did not kill someone and is really lucky that Minnesotans showed their better angels and he did not get killed.”

A 35-year-old truck driver from Otsego is in jail this morning after the incident. He’s identified as Bogdan Vechirko. Authorities say he got onto the bridge as they were closing the interstate down around 5:45 p.m. MnDOT had planned to close highways at 8 p.m. last night, but then moved up that closing time to 5 p.m.

As of now, the driver faces possible assault charges, but the driver may have been confused about the time the highways were closing.

On Monday morning, Department of Public Safety commissioner John Harrington says all preliminary investigation indicates that what at first appeared to be a potentially deliberate event may have instead been merely accidental, and “possibly a miracle” that no one was seriously injured.

“Even with hitting the breaks and dry pavement, we got lucky or there was something miraculous happening there,” Harrington said.

Harrington added that, when it became clear the size of the group that was going to be on the I-35W Bridge, they put in a request to MnDOT to push up the start time of the road closures.

Harrington said that, according to the early investigation, the truck was already on the freeway when it shut down, and the fuel tank was empty. It does appear the driver was going about 70 before applying the brakes.

Gov. Tim Walz said that the driver has told investigators he is grateful no one was hurt, and that the driver was lucky Minnesotans “showed their better angels” on that bridge Sunday.

Lt. Gen. Jon Jensen said that, as the truck approached the bridge, one soldier from the National Guard reportedly fired three rounds from a rifle. An investigation into that part of the incident is also ongoing.

WCCO has learned the driver was returning from making a run from the Lyn 36 refuel station on Lyndale.

“That gentleman was the only gentleman in his whole company who wanted to deliver gas to a black-owned station that he delivers to 14 times a week, so if he was so-called racist like they said it was, I don’t think he’d be delivering to us,” Lonnie McQuirter said. “He was feeding his family, that’s what he was part of. Just like what we’re doing, trying to feed our family.”

Investigators say the investigation is still open to see if he was part of something intentional.

Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

I live in the twin cities area, just outside the border edge of it..

This has been such an intense past six days.

Quote Originally Posted by catastrophe View Post
    I live in the twin cities area, just outside the border edge of it..

This has been such an intense past six days.
    Please do the best you can to keep you and yours safe. We don't need any more harm coming to innocent people.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/minneap...second-degree/

Update 3 other Cops are getting charged for the death of George Floyd.

Three more former police officers who were involved in the arrest of George Floyd in Minneapolis have been charged in connection to his death, and the officer who pressed a knee to Floyd's neck faces a new charge of second-degree murder, according to court documents.

The three additional officers — Thomas Lane, Tou Thao and J. Alexander Kueng — have been charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter. All four officers have been fired.

Derek Chauvin, 44, was charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter in Floyd's death last week. Chauvin pressed his knee on Floyd's neck for more than eight minutes, including two minutes in which Floyd was unresponsive, according to prosecutors.

Protests Over Police Violence
    New charges in George Floyd's death as protests sweep nation
    Minneapolis police misconduct complaints hit a record high in 2018
    Jimmy Carter mourns continued "tragic racial injustices"
    "I strongly believe that these developments are in the interest of justice for Mr. Floyd, his family, our community, and our state," said Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison, who announced the charges Wednesday.

Floyd's death has ignited anti-police brutality protests across the nation. Charges against the three other officers on the scene have been a key demand of demonstrators in Minneapolis and elsewhere.

On May 25, the officers encountered Floyd while responding to a 911 call from a store clerk, who said Floyd tried to pass a counterfeit $20 bill to buy cigarettes, according to prosecutors. Floyd complied with orders from the officers to leave his vehicle, court papers, but did not "voluntarily" get in their squad car. That's when he began telling officers he was claustrophobic and having trouble breathing.

The officers brought Floyd to the ground. One held Floyd's back and another restrained his legs, while Chauvin placed his left knee on Floyd's neck, prosecutors said. At one point, Lane asked Chauvin whether they should roll Floyd on his side, to which Chauvin replied, "No, staying put where we got him," according to prosecutors.

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/fi...n-750000-bond/

One of the four former Minneapolis police officers awaiting trial in the death of George Floyd has been released on $750,000 bail.

Thomas Lane, 37, was released Wednesday afternoon from the Hennepin County jail, the facility?s website reads.

Lane was one of four officers involved in arresting Floyd on Memorial Day on suspicion of using a counterfeit $20 bill. The arrest led to Floyd?s death, which has sparked global protests against racial injustice and police misconduct.

Bystander video shows then-Officer Derek Chauvin pressing his knee on Floyd?s neck for nearly nine minutes as Floyd was on the ground outside a police vehicle.

Lane and another officer held down other parts of Floyd?s body, next to Chauvin, authorities said in a probable cause statement.

Floyd, after repeatedly saying he couldn?t breathe, became unresponsive. He was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Chauvin was charged with second-degree murder. Lane and the two other officers on the scene ? Tou Thao and J. Alexander Kueng ? have been charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder.

Lane?s attorney has said Lane, while Chauvin was pressing on Floyd?s neck, suggested more than once that they roll the Floyd to his side, but Chauvin declined.

?I am worried about excited delirium or whatever,? Lane said, according to authorities? probable cause statement. ?That?s why we have him on his stomach,? Chauvin replied, according to the document.

Lane had been on the police force for four days when Floyd died and was ?doing everything he thought he was supposed to do as a four-day police officer,? his attorney, Earl Gray, told CNN this week.

The Hennepin County medical examiner?s office concluded the manner of Floyd?s death was homicide and that the cause was ?cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression.? Cardiopulmonary arrest means Floyd?s heart failed.

A different autopsy, conducted by experts hired by Floyd?s family, concluded Floyd died of ?asphyxiation from sustained pressure? when his neck and back were compressed. The pressure cut off blood flow to his brain, that autopsy determined.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...-stop/2331918/

When a group of federal judges from the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals reversed a ruling of qualified immunity for a group of officers this week, they did so in a remarkable fashion.

The judges' opinion, published Wednesday in Richmond, Virginia, ended with a paragraph about the current state of our nation when it comes to police shootings of Black people. They mentioned the killing of George Floyd by name and said simply, "This has to stop."

"Although we recognize that our police officers are often asked to make split-second decisions, we expect them to do so with respect for the dignity and worth of Black lives," they wrote.

The ruling came in the case of Wayne Jones, a Black man shot and killed by five police officers in Martinsburg, West Virginia, in 2013. The case has been dismissed in District Court three times, most recently when a judge granted the officers qualified immunity.

"We are asked to decide whether it was clearly established that five officers could not shoot a man 22 times as he lay motionless on the ground," the appellate judges wrote.

They ultimately reversed the dismissal for summary judgment concluding that “a reasonable jury could find that Jones was both secured and incapacitated in the final moments before his death.”

"Why couldn't [officers] deescalate the situation? I mean, why did they have to go that far?" asked Bruce Jones, Wayne's brother, after watching video of the encounter. "Why did they have to back off of him and shoot him when they had him on the ground? Those are questions I want answers to."

It started shortly before 11: 30 p.m., when an officer spotted Wayne Jones walking along the curb of the road instead of the sidewalk, which is against the law.

As captured on the officer's dashboard camera, he asked Jones for ID and whether he had any weapons. When Jones replied that he had "something," things escalated quickly, according to court records. He had a knife rolled up in his sleeve.

"Put your hands on the car," the officer is heard saying to Jones.

Jones replied, "What did I do to you?

The officer began yelling, "Put your hands on the car."

No one disputes that Wayne Jones, who was schizophrenic, tried to get away when the officer fired his taser. Additional officers and caught up to him and they all tumbled to the ground. According to court records, one officer said he "felt a sharp poke in his side."

"They told me he attacked an officer. I couldn't believe that," Bruce Jones said. "He was a loving, caring person."

The judges wrote that they "identified two pieces of evidence corroborating that Jones was not wielding a knife when he was shot." First, he was laying on his right side and the knife was in his right hand. Second, “at least one police officer” said that Jones “‘did not make any overt acts with the knife towards the officers, once they stepped back.”

Bruce Jones says he promised their mother before she died that he would continue to seek justice and try to clear his brother's name.

"I don't think they want anything more than just the chance for justice, the chance to have a jury hear the case," said Christopher Brown, the family's attorney. "For the most conservative court in the country to comment and say 'this has to stop' is an important statement."

Qualified immunity is a legal ruling which usually shields officers from civil lawsuits unless prior case law with similar facts suggests “any reasonable officer” should have known they were violating a person's rights.

"To award qualified immunity at the summary judgment stage in this case would signal absolute immunity for fear-based use of deadly force, which we cannot accept," the appellate judges wrote.

The opinion noted that Wayne Jones had been "tased four times, hit in the brachial plexus [throat area], kicked and placed in a choke hold, at which point gurgling can be heard in the video."

"He doesn't respond to commands to drop the knife. He's motionless, perhaps unconscious, and they shoot him 22 times and kill him," said Brown. "It's a tragic story and hopefully it'll never happen again."

The judges noted that after being told state police were coming to investigate, officers can be heard on the recording saying that "the incident would be a 'cluster' and they were going to 'have to gather some f**king story.'”

The judges noted that the officers portrayed Jones as a fleeing armed suspect who was not cooperating with law enforcement and had even reportedly hit an officer, displacing the officer’s hat.

The Martinsburg city attorney says West Virginia State Police investigated this case, the U.S. Department of Justice reviewed it and a grand jury opted not to indict the officers.

In a statement, he said, "It is important to remember the Court of Appeals did not establish the facts or find guilt or liability." He asked that "all citizens reserve judgement That will be up to a jury to decide. He asks that everyone reserve judgment until all the facts are properly considered by a jury."

Bruce Jones was hoping for more.

"At least say, 'We messed up and we shouldn't have shot him. We should have deescalated it,'" he said. "That would make me happy."

He says watching protesters in the streets across the country, he feels like change is possible and hopes his brother's legacy can be part of that.

"Nobody wants riots,” he said. “Nobody wants to be worried that their 5-year-old may not make it to be 10 or their 20-year-old may not make it to be 30. So something has to change."

Reported by Jodie Fleischer, produced by Rick Yarborough, and shot and edited by Steve Jones.

https://apnews.com/2affbc0c0933d415550a6890f3181a54

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin is eligible to receive pension benefits during his retirement years even if he’s convicted of killing George Floyd, according to the Minnesota agency that represents retired public workers.

Chauvin is charged with second-degree murder, third-degree murder and manslaughter in the May 25 death of George. Video of the arrest shows Chauvin, who is white, using his knee to pin down the neck of George, who was black and handcuffed, for several minutes as Floyd pleaded for air and eventually stopped moving. George’s death has sparked protests around the world.

The Minnesota Public Employees Retirement Association said in a statement that former employees who meet length-of-service requirements qualify for benefits regardless of whether they quit or are fired. Those payments are not affected by criminal charges or convictions, the agency said, citing state law.

A review of police payroll, salary and contract information obtained by CNN estimates that Chauvin’s annual payments would be around $50,000 or more if he elected to begin receiving distributions at age 55. Chauvin was a member of the Minneapolis police force for 19 years.

Chauvin’s attorney, Eric Nelson, did not immediately return an email request seeking comment.

https://apnews.com/56bea6e3d1ea1aaeba129522df43294f

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The former Minneapolis police officer charged with murder in the death of George Floyd was charged Wednesday with multiple felony counts of tax evasion, according to criminal complaints that allege he and his wife didn’t report income from various jobs, including more than $95,000 for his off-duty security work.

Derek Chauvin and his wife, Kellie May Chauvin, were each charged in Washington County with six counts of aiding and abetting filing false or fraudulent tax returns in the state of Minnesota and three counts of aiding and abetting failing to file state tax returns.

The complaints allege that from 2014 through 2019, the Chauvins underreported their joint income by $464,433. With unpaid taxes, interest and fees, they now owe $37,868 to the state.

Imran Ali, a Washington County prosecutor, said the charges relate only to tax irregularities in the state of Minnesota, not federal taxes or taxes in Florida, where the couple has a second home. He said the amount of unpaid taxes could increase, as the investigation is ongoing.

Floyd, a Black man who was handcuffed, died May 25 after Chauvin, who is white, pressed his knee against Floyd’s neck for nearly eight minutes as Floyd pleaded for air. Chauvin is charged with second-degree murder, third-degree murder and manslaughter. He and three other officers who were at the scene were fired.

Chauvin is in custody on the charges in the Floyd case. Kellie Chauvin, who filed for divorce after Floyd’s death, was not in custody Wednesday. Online court records didn’t list attorneys for either in the tax evasion case, and a call to Kellie Chauvin did not go through. Her divorce attorney did not return a call seeking comment. Eric Nelson, Derek Chauvin’s attorney on the murder charges, had no comment Wednesday.

The investigation began in June, after the Minnesota Department of Revenue received information about suspicious tax filings by Derek Chauvin. The agency started an internal cursory review, and then opened a formal investigation after determining the Chauvins did not file state taxes as required.

The investigation ultimately found the Chauvins did not file state tax returns for 2016, 2017 and 2018, and did not report all of their income for 2014 and 2015. When tax returns for 2016 through 2019 were filed in June of this year, the Chauvins did not report all of their income in those years either, the complaints said.

The complaints said that as a police officer, Chauvin could work off-duty security jobs and was required to pay taxes on that income. From 2014 through 2020, Chauvin worked off-duty security at several locations.

He worked at El Nuevo Rodeo restaurant nearly every weekend from January 2014 through December 2019, the complaints said. By averaging out his pay of $220 a night over his work schedule at that business, investigators believe he earned about $95,920 over six years that the Chauvins did not report as income.

Kellie Chauvin is a real estate agent and also operates a photography business under the name KC Images. Bank records reviewed by investigators show she or the business received 340 checks totaling $66,472.75 that were not reported as income in 2014 and 2015, the complaints said.

The complaints allege the Chauvins also failed to pay proper sales tax on a $100,000 BMW purchased in Minnesota in 2018. Prosecutors say they bought the car in Minnetonka but listed their Florida address as their home address. While the couple lives primarily in Minnesota, Kellie Chauvin told investigators they changed their residency to Florida because it was cheaper to register a car there. They allegedly paid lower sales taxes than they would have paid in Minnesota.

The complaints also allege the Chauvins sold a rental home in Woodbury in 2017 and took a deduction on depreciation to lower their income taxes, but did not properly apply the deduction toward the purchase price of the home as they determined the capital gains tax, resulting in lower taxes being paid.

According to the charges, the Chauvins were sent “request for missing return” letters in the fall of 2019, warning them that they had not filed state taxes for 2016 and they could be subjected to criminal penalties if their tax returns were not filed.

When interviewed by investigators, Kellie Chauvin said she knew she had to file tax returns every year, but she had not done so because “it got away from her,” according to the complaints.

Update Derek Chauvin is now being investigated by the IRS over Tax issues. Its not just that the FBI is on him over the George Floyd Death now this is coming into play too OK then.

Update the George Floyd Video has been released.

https://www.fox6now.com/news/2-body-...floyd-released

MINNEAPOLIS (FOX 9) - The body camera video from two of the now-fired Minneapolis police officers involved in the death of George Floyd was released to the public Monday.

On Friday, Hennepin County District Court Judge Peter Cahill ordered copies of the footage from officers Thomas Lane and J. Alexander Kueng to be released.

The decision was made after a challenge from a media coalition, including FOX 9.

Cahill had previously allowed journalists and the public to view the footage from the courthouse, but did not allow for the body camera video to be recorded or be copied by reporters. Instead, reporters were allowed to sign up for a one-hour appointment to view the video and describe what they saw.

Both officers body camera videos and transcripts of the videos were among the exhibits submitted by Lane’s attorney, Earl Gray, in July supporting a motion to dismiss the charges against Lane.

Floyd died on May 25 after being detained by Minneapolis police. Lane and Kueng were the first officers to respond to the initial 911 call at Cup Foods.

Lane, Kueng and Tou Thao are all charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter. Derek Chauvin, the officer seen kneeling on Floyd's neck in a bystander video, is charged with second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I didn't want to say this in the beginning, but I'll say it now. He won't be held responsible and he'll go on with his life. I protested forever, every weekend for Kelly Thomas and if you look up that thread? You'll know why no cop will ever be held responsible. The video in that case with ZERO convictions will tell you that.

It sent a message. They can do whatever they like and won't face convictions. Unless they're women or a minority. Period.

This goes for any open case. Keep fighting, but get used to defeat.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

https://www.kron4.com/news/ex-cop-ch...-out-of-state/

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) ? A Minnesota judge cited safety concerns Friday as he issued new conditions of release for an ex-Minneapolis police officer charged in the death of George Floyd that would allow him to live in a neighboring state while he awaits trial.

Derek Chauvin posted $1 million bond on Wednesday and was allowed to walk free from the maximum security state prison where he had been held for his safety since shortly after his arrest. Floyd died after Chauvin, who is white, pressed his knee against Floyd?s neck for several minutes even after the handcuffed Black man pleaded for air before his death May 25. Chauvin was later charged with second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

Chauvin?s release triggered two nights of protests in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Gov. Tim Walz mobilized National Guard troops and state law enforcement officers to help keep the peace. Three other fired former officers who also face charges in the case were released on bond earlier. Their trial is set for March.

Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill said the state Department of Corrections, which is supervising Chauvin while he?s on release, presented evidence in private ?supporting safety concerns that have arisen.? The order did not say what that evidence entailed.

Chauvin?s previous conditions prohibited him from leaving Minnesota without court permission and ordered him to sign extradition waivers if he was released. Under the new conditions, he ?must establish residency somewhere in the State of Minnesota or a contiguous state as soon as possible? and report it to his supervising officer. His address will be shared with local law enforcement, but anyone who is given his address is ordered to keep it confidential.

The former officer must also carry a cellphone and keep it on, charged and in range so that the Department of Corrections can reach him at all times. He must also surrender his passport.

Cahill?s order said the defense and prosecution had agreed to the new terms.

WTH Thats what White Male Cop Privilege gives you.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/n...-floyds-death/

MINNEAPOLIS – A Minnesota judge has dismissed a third-degree murder charge filed against the former Minneapolis police officer who pressed his knee against George Floyd's neck, but the more serious second-degree murder charge remains.

Hennepin County District Judge Peter Cahill's ruling was dated Wednesday and made public Thursday. Cahill said there was enough probable cause for the second-degree murder charge and manslaughter charge against Derek Chauvin to proceed to trial. Cahill also denied defense requests to dismiss the aiding and abetting counts against three other former officers, Thomas Lane, J. Kueng and Tou Thao.

“In this court's view, with one exception, the State has met its burden of showing probable cause that warrants proceeding to trial against each of these Defendants on each of the criminal charges the State has filed against them,” Cahill wrote. He said it will be up to a jury to decide whether the officers are guilty.

Floyd, a Black man who was in handcuffs, died May 25 after Chauvin, who is white, pressed his knee against Floyd’s neck as Floyd said he couldn’t breathe and became motionless. His death sparked protests in Minneapolis and beyond, and led to a nationwide reckoning on race.

Prosecutors argued there was probable cause for the officers to go to trial on all of the charges, saying Chauvin intentionally assaulted Floyd, which is an element of the second-degree murder charge, and that the other officers assisted.

During the entire time that Floyd was pinned to the ground, “the officers remained in the same position: Chauvin knelt on Floyd’s neck, Kueng and Lane remained atop Floyd’s back and legs, and Thao continued to prevent the crowd of concerned citizens from interceding,” prosecutors said.

The officers ignored Floyd’s pleas to stop, cries from the concerned crowd, and their own training, prosecutors said.

Defense attorneys argued that there was not enough probable cause to charge the former officers. Chauvin’s attorney said his client had no intent to assault or kill Floyd, while attorneys for the other officers argued that their clients did not intend or conspire to help Chauvin.

Defense attorneys said Floyd’s drug use was a factor in his death, with Chauvin’s attorney, Eric Nelson, saying Floyd most likely died of “fentanyl or a combination of fentanyl and methamphetamine in concert with his underlying health conditions.”

The county medical examiner classified Floyd’s death as a homicide, with his heart stopping while he was restrained by police and his neck compressed. A summary report listed fentanyl intoxication and recent methamphetamine use under “other significant conditions” but not under “cause of death.”

According to prosecutors’ notes, Hennepin County Medical Examiner Andrew Baker told prosecutors that absent other apparent causes of death, it “could be acceptable” to rule the death an overdose, based on the level of fentanyl in Floyd’s system. A separate autopsy commissioned for Floyd’s family concluded he died of asphyxiation due to neck and back compression.

___

This story has been corrected to show the name of one of the officers charged in Floyd's death is J. Kueng, not J. Jueng.

Thread Information