Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Germaphobes Unite!

Germaphobes Unite!

Here's a thread for all of us self-confessed germaphobes to cuss, discuss, and stay safe from germs!

So I went out to give blood today. I am very nervous about this anyway with everything going on and then this guy shows up with no mask, with his snot nosed kid in tow. They told him that he couldn't bring the kid in with him to give blood and he said "really, are you kidding me?" I don't get it. If you are someone who gives blood, I assume that you want to help people, but yet you refuse to wear a mask and don't won't to follow the basic rules. I think I used half a bottle of sanitizer during and after that appt, but I did it.

Thanx, RBW - you're the Best! What are the room rules? Do we have to wear masks and gloves? Are we going to be socially distancing in here? I just need everyone to wash your hands and cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze. And then wash your hands again. And again if it pleases you.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    So I went out to give blood today. I am very nervous about this anyway with everything going on and then this guy shows up with no mask, with his snot nosed kid in tow. They told him that he couldn't bring the kid in with him to give blood and he said "really, are you kidding me?" I don't get it. If you are someone who gives blood, I assume that you want to help people, but yet you refuse to wear a mask and don't won't to follow the basic rules. I think I used half a bottle of sanitizer during and after that appt, but I did it.
    This story starts out bad from the beginning. Is it wise to be responsible for a child while undergoing a medical procedure where they're draining 10% of the blood from your body? I dunno, I feel like you should get a babysitter for that if Mom is too busy.

Not even going to address the snot and lack of mask because my response is obviously going to be...

Good for you for giving blood, I'm sure they can use it right now!
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Thanx, RBW - you're the Best! What are the room rules? Do we have to wear masks and gloves? Are we going to be socially distancing in here? I just need everyone to wash your hands and cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze. And then wash your hands again. And again if it pleases you.

This story starts out bad from the beginning. Is it wise to be responsible for a child while undergoing a medical procedure where they're draining 10% of the blood from your body? I dunno, I feel like you should get a babysitter for that if Mom is too busy.

Not even going to address the snot and lack of mask because my response is obviously going to be...

Good for you for giving blood, I'm sure they can use it right now!
    I try to give blood as often as I can. I haven't done it since the whole COVID thing has been going, and I feel bad about that, but it just mad me too nervous.

Needless to say I came home and stripped down before even walking into the main part of the house, and ran all my clothes on a sanitize load.

And good point, why would you bring your kid with you to give blood? Come to think of it, I am not sure if they ever allowed you to bring someone else in with you on the blood bus, even before social distancing.

And everyone entering this thread must take off their shoes first, sanitize and then wash their hands and always wear a mask!

Im fat, and probably should join a gym, but I just cannot. All of those people using equipment and sweating on shit I dont care if they wipe stuff down, I feel like they cant get rid of all of the germs. I could never shower or use the bathroom in a gym either.

At my old job they used to call me a "clean-o-holic" because I would thoroughly clean anything an animal would touch. I considered it doing my job.

Medicine and being a mom has chilled down my OCDness, I cant keep anything clean with a little kid. I think I gave him my OCD He wants to wash his hands 30 times a day.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post

Medicine and being a mom has chilled down my OCDness, I cant keep anything clean with a little kid. I think I gave him my OCD He wants to wash his hands 30 times a day.
    My husband gets onto me, because if I even think my son touched pee or poo during a diaper change I'll wipe his hands with a wipe. My son loves to put his hands in his mouth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Btw thanks RBW for the new thread. Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I try to give blood as often as I can. I haven't done it since the whole COVID thing has been going, and I feel bad about that, but it just mad me too nervous.

Needless to say I came home and stripped down before even walking into the main part of the house, and ran all my clothes on a sanitize load.
    I always gave blood, but the Red Cross rejects me now because I was stationed in Europe during the mad cow breakout about 20 years ago. My daughter told me she thinks they're easing that restriction now. Maybe enough time has lapsed. If so, I'd gladly donate again.

You know, I'm very specific concerning the germs I'm phobic about. Public germs. Transportation germs. Hospital germs. Bathroom germs. Gym germs. Restaurant germs. Friend and family germs don't really bother me - except kid germs, omg they're so gross sometimes. I wouldn't allow my own kids to drink out of my glass. Grossssssss!

Im fat, and probably should join a gym, but I just cannot. All of those people using equipment and sweating on shit I dont care if they wipe stuff down, I feel like they cant get rid of all of the germs. I could never shower or use the bathroom in a gym either.

Gym germs and spa germs..... One year my husband decided to be cute and get me a "spa day with a friend" for the holidays. I was so stressed out it was unbelievable. Hated every single minute of it. Thought I was going to die in the turkish bath. My girlfriend said I looked like I thought the place was radioactive. There were sweaty naked old men..... it was just horrible. I'm going to hyperventilate just thinking about it.

Yeah, being a mom puts things in perspective, I think that's why I'm okay with what I call "friends & family germs." I make an exception for their germs (unless they do something really gross like backwash in my glass of water) because I see them so often I almost feel like our germs are 'compatible' so to speak. Oh yeah, I'm all about the rationalizing when I can get away with it.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

I haven't given blood in years since the nurse jabbed me in the arm really hard and I almost passed out.
    I definitely understand different types of germs.
    I don't eat or drink after family except my husband.
    My brother used to have sex with prostitutes (in Asia) so yeah.
    I'd love to go to a spa! I need a massage after all the hunching over I do trying to feed my son. Also, a facial. My skin is soooo dry. I never knew breastfeeding dries you out. I have dead skin everywhere and my hair is like the Sahara.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    My skin is soooo dry. I never knew breastfeeding dries you out. I have dead skin everywhere and my hair is like the Sahara.
    Water. Drink lots and lots of water. Not coffee, not tea, not soda. All liquids are not alike.

I'm with you on the gym Angie, I think they are super gross!

I went to Lowe's the other day, and was sitting in my car for a few minutes before I went in, getting all my stuff together because I had a bunch of returns that I have been holding onto for the last couple of months while we remodeled the rent house. I watched one of the employees take all of the shopping carts from the parking lot and put them up near the store, without doing anything to them, even though there was a big sign that says these shopping carts have been sanitized.
    I always sanitize my cart anyway, but if somebody I was relying on that, they could have gotten sick. It pissed me off, so I made a complaint at the service desk. I'm not one who would usually do that, but I felt like this was BS!

My husband pissed off a Walmart employee over carts one day. I think he needed one and the employees were taking their sweet time sanitizing them. He grabbed one and the employee started yelling at him. He used one of the wipes and cleaned it himself. He also told the employee let me die then. He's a very hard headed, stubborn person.

My husband pissed off a Walmart employee over carts one day. I think he needed one and the employees were taking their sweet time sanitizing them. He grabbed one and the employee started yelling at him. He used one of the wipes and cleaned it himself. He also told the employee let me die then. He's a very hard headed, stubborn person.
    Hey, I feel his pain. I'm starting to get disgusted with the whole thing, myself.

Hey, I feel his pain. I'm starting to get disgusted with the whole thing, myself.
    Yeah. But after the governor opened Georgia back up, there was an uptick in cases (though the govenor blames a data dump).

Yeah. But after the governor opened Georgia back up, there was an uptick in cases (though the govenor blames a data dump).
    None of the figures can be trusted anyway. My neighbor's mother died in NY, at home, has had heart issues for years. No testing, but she was classified as a COVID-19 casualty. The family objected to the classification without testing, but were told that any NY deaths during the pandemic were being classified COVID-19. The family who cared for her before she died were denied testing. Why? If you classify her death as COVID-19, wouldn't they be at high risk of catching it? Yet you don't think it's necessary to test them???? They told the family to just "assume" they have it and self quarantine. WTF, New York?!

None of the figures can be trusted anyway. My neighbor's mother died in NY, at home, has had heart issues for years. No testing, but she was classified as a COVID-19 casualty. The family objected to the classification without testing, but were told that any NY deaths during the pandemic were being classified COVID-19. The family who cared for her before she died were denied testing. Why? If you classify her death as COVID-19, wouldn't they be at high risk of catching it? Yet you don't think it's necessary to test them???? They told the family to just "assume" they have it and self quarantine. WTF, New York?!
    They are doing the same thing here too.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

They are doing the same thing here too.
    That's insane, and it makes the whole thing look like a huge scam on the American people. It's not bad enough you have people who don't believe there is really a pandemic and don't want to take basic precautions, but when the number keepers pull crap like this, what are people supposed to think? What's so difficult about just telling the truth and reporting honest numbers, including, "Gee....we're not sure what killed old Mrs. Fengelhopper. MOD: Undetermined?" So that's how NYC became "the epicenter?" By reporting everyone as a COVID19 victim if they died during a two month period in the most densely populated city in the nation? Like, were they aiming to be the epicenter, it was a goal or something? WTF, this ain't rocket science.

We depend on government reporting for a lot of the statistics we're fond of quoting. Crime rates, cancer, sexual assaults, domestic violence, abortion, mental health, addiction. In what other areas of our life are they fudging the numbers like that by just making assumptions and reporting inflated numbers? And in what other area of our life would we find that acceptable? I'm confused.

What if the coronavirus was really a weapon of mass destruction constructed by a germaphobe so everyone who doesn't wash their hands on the regular would be eliminated?
    Yeah. This is what happens when you have a baby. You try to distract/think of random stuff so your brain doesn't turn to mush.
    Now, talk to me about trashcans please.
    I'm trying to get a combination trash/recycling can for my kitchen. I thought I figured out the one I wanted, but now I'm not sure I want a motion sensor one for $60. I think I might get a step one that has a ten year warranty.

What if the coronavirus was really a weapon of mass destruction constructed by a germaphobe so everyone who doesn't wash their hands on the regular would be eliminated?
    I'm totally in favor of this deliciously evil conspiracy theory. I think people who don't wash their hands should be eliminated.... by natural selection of course.

Now, talk to me about trashcans please. I'm trying to get a combination trash/recycling can for my kitchen. I thought I figured out the one I wanted, but now I'm not sure I want a motion sensor one for $60. I think I might get a step one that has a ten year warranty.
    I think I must be way too pragmatic about things like this. I can't imagine spending $60 for a trash can. And what is the purpose of the motion sensor? Like, does the lid sloooooowly raise every time you walk past it? And then stays open longer than you would keep it open if you were just using a pedal trash can. And then it sloooooowly closes again? And at some point you're going to have to change the batteries in your trash can. And what if the motion sensor goes bad, is there a manual override? If so, then why bother w/the motion sensor in the first place? Does the motion sensor make your life $60 worth of better?

Yeah..... way too pragmatic.

Just came across this quote in an old magazine, obviously a fellow germaphobe....

Was the inventor of lip balm like, "I love ChapStick, but how can I get my dirty fingers involved?"
    - Kurt Braunohler

I think I must be way too pragmatic about things like this. I can't imagine spending $60 for a trash can. And what is the purpose of the motion sensor? Like, does the lid sloooooowly raise every time you walk past it? And then stays open longer than you would keep it open if you were just using a pedal trash can. And then it sloooooowly closes again? And at some point you're going to have to change the batteries in your trash can. And what if the motion sensor goes bad, is there a manual override? If so, then why bother w/the motion sensor in the first place? Does the motion sensor make your life $60 worth of better?

Yeah..... way too pragmatic.
    It's actually the cheapest one I found that also has a recycle bin. I thought about it and I don't like the idea of having to buy batteries for a trashcan. The trashcan only has a two year warranty for the lid. I'd rather have a step one. We have one right now where the little hole opening on the lid swings inward, but I hate touching it to throw trash away. I really want the dual compartment so we're not putting recycling on the counter where it piles up.
    This is the trashcan I'm looking at buying.
    https://www.simplehuman.com/rectangu...e/46L-recycler

It's actually the cheapest one I found that also has a recycle bin. I thought about it and I don't like the idea of having to buy batteries for a trashcan. The trashcan only has a two year warranty for the lid. I'd rather have a step one. We have one right now where the little hole opening on the lid swings inward, but I hate touching it to throw trash away. I really want the dual compartment so we're not putting recycling on the counter where it piles up.
    This is the trashcan I'm looking at buying.
    https://www.simplehuman.com/rectangu...e/46L-recycler
    Wait. So it requires custom liners, too? Oh no, no, no.... I'm far too cheap for this can.

But I totally get how you hate the swinging lid ones. That's what's in my kitchen right now, only because when I needed to buy one, they didn't have a nice pedal kind. I wash the whole swingy lid thing about every other day because otherwise I'd get skeeved out touching it. And because I wash it so often, it doesn't have gross built up crud on it, so I don't even mind washing it out in my sink.

ETA: So I'm looking through the site and I come across my daughter's dual can and

https://www.simplehuman.com/rectangu...e/48L-recycler

Jeezus tell me that girl didn't pay $170 for her trash can....
    Last edited by KimTisha; 06-08-2020 at 06:29 PM.

When Orbit learned to open the garbage can by stepping on the pedal we went looking for a new can. One of the ones we looked at had an electronic eye that you waved your hand in front of the sensor and the can would open. I figured Orbs would be opening that with a well placed paw or a wag of his tail. Kept looking and found one where you touch the lid and it opens. Hidden latch, no reaching in. It's easy open, just a finger touch... with a paper towel or napkin in your hand, but the dogs haven't managed to get it open.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Wait. So it requires custom liners, too? Oh no, no, no.... I'm far too cheap for this can.

But I totally get how you hate the swinging lid ones. That's what's in my kitchen right now, only because when I needed to buy one, they didn't have a nice pedal kind. I wash the whole swingy lid thing about every other day because otherwise I'd get skeeved out touching it. And because I wash it so often, it doesn't have gross built up crud on it, so I don't even mind washing it out in my sink.

ETA: So I'm looking through the site and I come across my daughter's dual can and

https://www.simplehuman.com/rectangu...e/48L-recycler

Jeezus tell me that girl didn't pay $170 for her trash can....
    You can use whatever bag you want, but I heard it's more presentable with their custom liner.
    Now, my question is if I should order it through Amazon or the manufacturer's site?!
    I put the trashcan on my baby registry so I can save 15% off, but I don't get cashback. Whereas, I can save 10% and get cashback through the manufacturer's site. Also, if I buy through Amazon after spending $500 on stuff of off the registry, I get 20% off diapers for a year. Decisions, decisions.

Please keep me in your prayers.
    I just ordered food through a third party.
    I hope no one eats my food on the way here.
    I went with a local food delivery company.
    I just thought about it. I guess ordering local vs using a corporation won't keep someone from eating your food.

Thread Information