Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alejandro Ripley (9) drowned after his mother pushed him into a canal

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    That must be very hard to deal with. You are a saint your son is lucky to have you.
    I believe most Moms do whatever they have to do to care for their kids. But, thank you for the complement.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Yes. This. I mean what she did was terrible. But did she have options in the covid times? Was there respite care available? We hear about people who abandon their loved ones in an ER or wherever... I know I'm not cut out to be a fulltime solo caregiver, If I didn't have help with mom I'd run away. But. I'm not at all sure we did everyone a favor when we stopped institutionalizing handicapped kids. I know some families do OK but others are just eaten alive by the strain. That said, drowning your kid isn't the answer. Leave him at a church, hire a sitter and just run away. Make his Dad help. Something.
    Sounds logical to us, but probably not to her because it would land her in jail. I was really surprised when I read the baby safe haven laws related to another case. Basically, you have 30 days to decide whether you can handle raising a child. I propose to you, that most new mothers who are overwhelmed and in danger of hurting or abandoning their infants, aren't ready to throw in the towel after only 30 days. They think - they hope - things will get better. Safe Haven laws are really intended for women who hide their pregnancies and have no intention of raising the child, HS cheerleaders and sorority sisters who secretly give birth and throw the babies in dumpsters and roadside ditches. They are the only ones who benefit from these laws. Overwhelmed, over-worked, stressed out, sleep-deprived mothers teetering on the edge of sanity and possibly PPD, are left to their own devices for the most part. I guess the foster care system is available, but not without the stigma of being an "unfit" mother, and the fear that you won't be able to meet the government's one-size-fits-all requirements to regain custody of your children after you're healed.

I don't know what happened here, but Patricia Ripley apparently cared for Alejandro without issue for nine years. I'm really bothered by the fact she tried again after witnesses saw her and intervened the first time. WTF, she couldn't possibly have thought she could get away with this - not if she was thinking clearly, anyway.

I haven't seen anything about the home situation - are there other children? baby in the house? Dad present and involved? police calls to the house? any contact with CPS in the past? It might just be another CPS failure, but I feel like that gets revealed fairly early on in incidents like this. They reported he was non-verbal, autistic, and receiving therapy; seems if he had regular contact with CPS it would have been reported as well. Let's face it, her Home Depot story fell apart from the start, nobody thought a couple of drug-seeking black men kidnapped a severely autistic child. Nobody.

Also, can we change the title on this one? Little Alejandro was NOT abducted from Home Depot.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by terps1990 View Post
    I believe most Moms do whatever they have to do to care for their kids. But, thank you for the complement.
    Wanted to address this separately.

Most of them do, but you (and many dear to me) are really in a class by yourself. It takes incredible strength and mental and emotional fortitude to do what you do. I like to think I would step up to the plate if necessary, but I don't know that I could, even though I would want to. I fear my best efforts would be inadequate. I'm like Puzzld, not really cut out to be a caregiver. I believe they are special people, and when I send out good vibes to the universe, I direct lots of love their way. Hugs to you.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Don't drink sanitizer! raisedbywolves's Avatar
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...nalty-73921751

A grand jury has indicted a Florida woman for first-degree murder in the drowning death of her autistic 9-year-old son, and prosecutors said they will pursue the death penalty.

Patricia Ripley is accused of the May 21 death of Alejandro Ripley, and a host of other crimes. She remains in jail while awaiting trial, the Miami Herald reported.

Her son suffered from severe autism and could not speak. His mother initially called 911 and said two Black men took her son after running her off a road south of Miami and took the boy, police said. An Amber Alert was issued for the boy.

The child's body was found the next day in a canal a few miles from the area she said the abduction took place.

Investigators were initially suspicious of Ripley’s changing accounts of what happened. They learned that earlier in the evening, Ripley was caught on surveillance cameras pushing the boy into a canal. A bystander rescued the boy from the water.

Police said the mother pushed the child into the water about an hour later and he drowned.

When police confronted Ripley, she admitted making up the kidnapping story. She also admitted leading the child to the canal where he died and said “he’s going to be in a better place,” a police report said.

Ripley was not at Thursday's hearing. And because she now faces capital punishment, she must be told that her lawyers must be certified to handle death-penalty cases, the Herald reported.

“We would need to have Miss Ripley here,” prosecutor Gail Levine told the court.

Another hearing was set for next week.

Thread Information