Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Dive Masters Carla and James May died while wreck diving off Cape Lookout, NC

  1. #1
    It was aliens raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14,934
    Rep Power
    21474858

    Dive Masters Carla and James May died while wreck diving off Cape Lookout, NC

    https://www.wral.com/franklin-county...oast/19094730/

    A Franklin County couple died Sunday while scuba diving off Cape Lookout, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

    Carla and James May were diving on the Box Wreck, about 25 miles off the coast, from a boat operated by Discovery Diving out of Beaufort.

    The Mays were master divers, according to friends, and were capable of handling the dive, which was about 100 to 110 feet deep.

    When they failed to surface at about 11 a.m., the boat's captain sent another diver down to check on them, and he found them unresponsive. CPR failed to revive them, and the Coast Guard station told the boat to return to Fort Macon, where paramedics again tried to revive the couple without success.

    Carla May was a pharmacist with Piedmont Health in Chapel Hill. James May also was a pharmacist.

    Relatives said they are awaiting the results of autopsies, hoping to learn what caused the couple's deaths.
    https://www.facebook.com/carla.may.739

    https://chapelboro.com/news/safety/c...t-off-nc-coast

    WRAL reports the Mays were diving off a boat from Discovery Diving, a scuba tour agency in Beaufort, North Carolina. According to the report, another diver found the pair underwater and unresponsive after the boat?s captain noticed the Mays failed to surface. CPR failed to revive either.
    Looking for their ages...

  2. #2
    Senior Member Angiebla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    10,930
    Rep Power
    21474854
    I wonder what happened. I could see one of them possibly dying from equipment malfunction, but both? What are the chances of that?

    "The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

  3. #3
    It was aliens raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14,934
    Rep Power
    21474858
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I wonder what happened. I could see one of them possibly dying from equipment malfunction, but both? What are the chances of that?
    Wreck diving comes with its own set of risks, and deep diving (they were getting close to the limit of what would be considered recreational diving) adds in more risk. I am curious about what equipment they were using too.

    I did wreck and deep diving to get my advanced diving cert, but as Dive Masters they should be way beyond that, and should have experience in both. It's possible they got caught up on something on the wreck, or one went to help the other one if they had an equipment malfunction, and then they both ran out of air. I hope they publish more info on this story.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Nic B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    7,579
    Rep Power
    21474853
    Wonder if one of them had a malfunction, the other tried to help, and they both died?


    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

  5. #5
    Senior Member KimTisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    5,710
    Rep Power
    9699347
    Excuse the stupid question but diving is about as far from my world as Mars, so....

    RBW, are "master divers" and "dive masters" the same thing? They seem to be used interchangeably in this story but I always thought one was a highly certified diver (master diver) and the other was in charge of the dive (the dive master).
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

  6. #6
    It was aliens raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14,934
    Rep Power
    21474858
    Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Excuse the stupid question but diving is about as far from my world as Mars, so....

    RBW, are "master divers" and "dive masters" the same thing? They seem to be used interchangeably in this story but I always thought one was a highly certified diver (master diver) and the other was in charge of the dive (the dive master).
    Master Divers are usually a military term (one of our dearest friends was one for many years in the French Navy) and Dive Masters are more a PADI/NAUI thing. I think the person writing the articles doesn't realize that that they are using the wrong term (unless of course they were in the military at one point and were Master Divers, but I didn't see anything like that in the stories I read and while I was trying to sleuth out their ages).

  7. #7
    Senior Member KimTisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    5,710
    Rep Power
    9699347
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Master Divers are usually a military term (one of our dearest friends was one for many years in the French Navy) and Dive Masters are more a PADI/NAUI thing. I think the person writing the articles doesn't realize that that they are using the wrong term (unless of course they were in the military at one point and were Master Divers, but I didn't see anything like that in the stories I read and while I was trying to sleuth out their ages).
    Interesting, thank you. I thought Dive Masters were kind of like Jumpmasters in the Army: the mofo what's in charge....
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •