Thread: Dive Masters Carla and James May died while wreck diving off Cape Lookout, NC

Dive Masters Carla and James May died while wreck diving off Cape Lookout, NC

https://www.wral.com/franklin-county...oast/19094730/

A Franklin County couple died Sunday while scuba diving off Cape Lookout, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.
    https://www.facebook.com/carla.may.739

https://chapelboro.com/news/safety/c...t-off-nc-coast

WRAL reports the Mays were diving off a boat from Discovery Diving, a scuba tour agency in Beaufort, North Carolina. According to the report, another diver found the pair underwater and unresponsive after the boat?s captain noticed the Mays failed to surface. CPR failed to revive either.
    Looking for their ages...
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 12-01-2022 at 06:51 PM.

I wonder what happened. I could see one of them possibly dying from equipment malfunction, but both? What are the chances of that?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I wonder what happened. I could see one of them possibly dying from equipment malfunction, but both? What are the chances of that?
    Wreck diving comes with its own set of risks, and deep diving (they were getting close to the limit of what would be considered recreational diving) adds in more risk. I am curious about what equipment they were using too.

I did wreck and deep diving to get my advanced diving cert, but as Dive Masters they should be way beyond that, and should have experience in both. It's possible they got caught up on something on the wreck, or one went to help the other one if they had an equipment malfunction, and then they both ran out of air. I hope they publish more info on this story.

Wonder if one of them had a malfunction, the other tried to help, and they both died?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Excuse the stupid question but diving is about as far from my world as Mars, so....

RBW, are "master divers" and "dive masters" the same thing? They seem to be used interchangeably in this story but I always thought one was a highly certified diver (master diver) and the other was in charge of the dive (the dive master).
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Excuse the stupid question but diving is about as far from my world as Mars, so....

RBW, are "master divers" and "dive masters" the same thing? They seem to be used interchangeably in this story but I always thought one was a highly certified diver (master diver) and the other was in charge of the dive (the dive master).
    Master Divers are usually a military term (one of our dearest friends was one for many years in the French Navy) and Dive Masters are more a PADI/NAUI thing. I think the person writing the articles doesn't realize that that they are using the wrong term (unless of course they were in the military at one point and were Master Divers, but I didn't see anything like that in the stories I read and while I was trying to sleuth out their ages).

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Master Divers are usually a military term (one of our dearest friends was one for many years in the French Navy) and Dive Masters are more a PADI/NAUI thing. I think the person writing the articles doesn't realize that that they are using the wrong term (unless of course they were in the military at one point and were Master Divers, but I didn't see anything like that in the stories I read and while I was trying to sleuth out their ages).
    Interesting, thank you. I thought Dive Masters were kind of like Jumpmasters in the Army: the mofo what's in charge....
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Thread Information