Thread: Kathleen McLean (45), Massachusetts woman who authorities say was slain by her doctor husband, remembered for her compassion

Kathleen McLean (45), Massachusetts woman who authorities say was slain by her doctor husband, remembered for her compassion

https://www.masslive.com/news/2020/0...ompassion.html

Danielle Boland sent a text to Kathleen McLean within the past week just to check in with her friend.

When McLean didn't text back the same day, Boland found it odd. McLean typically responded much faster.

'That's the first time I never heard back from her,' Boland said. 'I just assumed she was just busy.'

When news broke of a woman found dead in Dover, Massachusetts, Boland's heart sank when she saw the victim's name.

McLean, authorities said, had been found dead near her Dover home. Her husband of less than a year was now accused of killing her.

'We've lost an angel and I think it's important for people to know that,' Boland said.

McLean, 45, was found dead around 11 p.m. Saturday. Her remains were located in an area not far from her 29 Valley Road home in Dover, the Norfolk District Attorney's Office said.

The mother was last seen in her home Thursday evening. Massachusetts State Police detectives assigned to the Norfolk District Attorney's Office, Dover police and Dedham police were investigating the case as a disappearance until her remains were found Saturday.

McLean's husband, Ingolf Tuerk, 58, also of 29 Valley Road, was arrested and charged with killing his wife. He will be arraigned Monday.

According to Boland, McLean's friend for eight years, the couple's marriage began to change after Tuerk found himself in trouble with the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office.

The couple eloped in November, according to Boland, the same month Tuerk reached a settlement agreement with attorney general's office after he faced accusations of falsely billing MassHealth.

Tuerk, who practices urology, agreed to pay $150,000 to resolve allegations that he caused his employer to inappropriately bill the state's Medicaid Program (MassHealth) for portions of surgical procedures that never took place and office visits that he did not attend or supervise.

'Under the terms of a settlement agreement, Ingolf Tuerk, a medical doctor who practiced urology at St. Elizabeth's Hospital in Brighton, will pay $150,000 to resolve allegations that he caused improper billings to MassHealth of over $31,000,' the attorney general's office said in 2019. 'Dr. Tuerk must also implement a multi-year compliance program at his own expense if he continues to practice medicine in Massachusetts after 2019.'

It appeared the couple were on the verge of divorce. McLean even posted a picture of the Dover home on Facebook with a 'For Sale' sign on the front. That same day, April 15, McLean showed a picture of her holding an anchor charm with the word 'Hope' on it.

Absent from recent Facebook photographs were images of Tuerk.

According to the Dover-Sherborn Press, McLean called a reporter there in March and discussed her fear of Tuerk. She believed the system was not protecting her, the newspaper reports.

The Dover-Sherborn Press reported that on Feb. 6 Tuerk was arraigned in Dedham District Court for violating a restraining order. He pleaded not guilty and was supposed to return to court March 4, but the hearing was postponed.

The newspaper reported Tuerk was also charged with assault and battery on a household member, two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and one count of strangulation/suffocation.

McLean and Tuerk had been together for a few years before they eloped.

A native of Belmont, McLean worked as a Reiki master and teacher. Reiki is a form of energy healing in which hands are placed just off a person's body or a person is lightly touched.

McLean helped Boland beginning last year as a friend and through Reiki. Boland had been diagnosed with thyroid cancer. McLean, she said, was one of her biggest supporters in her recovery. Boland's cancer is now in remission.

'Anyone you can ask; she was one of the most amazing people,' Boland said. 'She spent days of healing and helping people. That was her full-time career.'

Boland was self-employed at the time. McLean never accepted a dime from Boland as she recovered.

'Anyone who knew her thought they were a great friend of hers. She took the time for everyone,' said Boland recalling McLean as a beautiful and spiritual person.

McLean's recent Facebook page posts has photos of her children, discussions about teaching her children at home during the coronavirus and pictures from Easter.

On April 22, McLean wrote:

'I hope we are all having these moments through this pandemic. I have found such a deep gratitude for my children it's amazing. They may or may not remember this time of their lives once it's over but I know I always will - this has been one of the most beautiful cleansing, healing times of my life... seeing my children laugh, dance, learn and play together every day( sometimes argue but rare!) Takes me back to the early days staying at home with them and just enjoying who they are. I have had some of the deepest conversations with my teenagers and laughed until I'm in tears!'

Boland couldn't believe McLean was killed. She didn't know McLean's disappearance was being investigated until she read a story about McLean's killing Sunday morning.

Mixed in the Facebook posts on McLean's page over the past few months is a link to a news article McLean shared about domestic violence during the pandemic.

With the post, McLean typed one word: Heartbreaking.

Boston surgeon accused of killing wife allegedly abused her for months

https://nypost.com/2020/05/17/boston...er-for-months/

The star Boston surgeon who authorities say killed his wife had been accused of abusing her for months before her death — including by choking her and cutting her with scissors, according to a report.

Ingolf Tuerk, 58, was already facing charges that he repeatedly attacked Kathleen McLean, 45, before he was taken into custody for her murder Saturday, The Boston Globe reported.

But earlier this month, the couple seemed to have reconciled, with McLean asking for a restraining order she’d secured against Tuerk to be vacated and saying she didn’t want to pursue criminal charges.

“I feel safe and would like to bring my family back together with my husband,” McLean wrote in a May 2 court affidavit obtained by the paper.

“My goal is to salvage our family including reuniting with my husband as father and stepfather to my children.”

The former head of urology at St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center in Brighton is the father of two teenage boys who live with his ex-wife. McLean, a Reiki master and teacher, has three children who live with their father.

The couple had been together for two-and-a-half years when they eloped Dec. 14 to Las Vegas, after Tuerk surprised her with a marriage license, the report said.

Friends said their relationship began to hit the rocks in November, when Tuerk reached a settlement agreement with the Massachusetts Attorney General’s office after he faced accusations of falsely billing MassHealth.

Tuerk agreed to pay $150,000 to resolve allegations that he caused his employer to improperly bill the state’s Medicaid Program for portions of surgical procedures that never took place or office visits he didn’t attend or supervise, according to the attorney general’s office.

“The slow deterioration of his career as doctor and surgeon is when he started getting more violent,” Larry Corcoran, a friend of McLean’s, told the paper.

In February, Tuerk was formally terminated from Steward Medical Group, which operates St. Elizabeth Medical Center. He hadn’t seen or treated patients for more than a year.

By that month, McLean was planning to file for divorce from her husband, she told Dover police on Feb. 3, according to a police report obtained by the Globe.

Tuerk was arraigned on Feb. 6 for violating the restraining order. He pleaded not guilty and was supposed to return to court March 4, but the hearing was postponed.

In March, McLean called the Dover-Sherborn Press and spoke to a reporter about her fear of Tuerk and how the system wasn’t working to protect her, the paper reported on Sunday.

According to the February police report, McLean told cops that she and Tuerk had gotten into an argument the previous December while they were in bed — and that he slammed her head into the headboard and then used one hand to strangle her, while covering her nose and mouth with the other.

“McLean stated that she felt like ‘she had trouble breathing and thought she was going to die’ and ‘everything went black,’” according to the police report. “During the incident she screamed and one of her kids heard her.”

McLean told cops that in January, Tuerk picked her up and threw her to the ground during an argument and that she hit the floor so hard, her shoes were knocked off, according to the police report.

After both alleged incidents, Tuerk told McLean he loved her.

In another “bizarre” incident, Tuerk picked up a pair of scissors, and told her, “I’m the king of this castle… you are only a guest,” McLean said, according to the report.

He then cut off a piece of her hair and sliced McLean’s hand as she tried to stop him, the report said.

McLean also told cops that Tuerk would track her location using her iPhone.

In an interview with cops, Tuerk denied attacking McLean and said the only time he had touched her was when she tried to take his phone.

By the time the May 2 court affidavit was filed, the pair had committed to couples counseling and Tuerk agreed to seek individual therapy.

On Saturday night, police found McLean’s body in an outdoor area near her Valley Road home, according to authorities. She had been missing since Thursday.

Friends described McLean as “an angel.”

“We’ve lost an angel and I think it’s important for people to know that,” Danielle Boland told MassLive about McLean.

The Belmont native worked as a master and teacher of Reiki, a form of alternative medicine involving energy healing. She ran a business called Birch Tree Energy and Healing in Sudbury.

“Anyone you can ask; she was one of the most amazing people,” Boland said. “She spent days of healing and helping people. That was her full-time career.”

Tuerk is due to be arraigned on murder charges in Dedham District Court on Monday.

Last edited by up2trouble; 05-17-2020 at 07:09 PM.

Danielle Boland sent a text to Kathleen McLean within the past week just to check in with her friend.

When McLean didn't text back the same day, Boland found it odd. McLean typically responded much faster.
    I'm not at all attached to my phone. Sometimes I go a full day with it in my purse or bedroom and don't even realize I don't have it with me. As a result, I'm the worst at responding to text messages. I swear, if I immediately replied to a text message, my friends would think I was kidnapped and my abductor was pretending to be me and using my phone.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Boston doc admits to killing wife, weighing body down with rocks: officials

https://nypost.com/2020/05/18/boston...cks-officials/

A renowned Boston surgeon has admitted to strangling his wife and then dumping her body in a pond — after making sure to weigh down her corpse by putting rocks in her pants, according to prosecutors and court records Monday.

Dr. Ingolf Tuerk, 58, a prominent local urologist, was charged with murdering his 45-year-old spouse, Kathleen McLean, on Saturday after he confessed to his heinous crime and told cops they could find her body in a pond near the couple’s home in the Boston suburb of Dover, the Boston Globe reported. McLean’s body was naked from the waist up when found.

At Tuerk’s arraignment Monday — where he pleaded not guilty and was ordered held without bail — prosecutors said the suspect had confessed to killing his wife in a fit of rage during a boozy fight Thursday night, according to the Web site MassLive.

Tuerk — who had been an alternate member of East Germany’s decathlon team at the 1980 Moscow Olympics — had allegedly been physically abusive to his wife in the past, and she wanted a divorce, at least at one point, the Globe reported. McLean had taken out a restraining order against Tuerk last month — only to have a change of heart and seek to rescind it.

But the day before her murder, her husband had been ordered by a judge to stay away from her, the Globe said.

Tuerk reported his Reiki-master wife missing Friday — and prosecutors said he was found the same day, unresponsive and holed up in a local hotel with cuts on his wrists, arms and legs and a syringe nearby, the local NBC-TV affiliate reported. He had to be revived with NARCAN, the Globe said.

The doctor, whose specialty is robotic surgery, had been chief of urology at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Boston but was fired in February after settling state charges for medical billing fraud several months earlier with a $150,000 fine.

He and his wife were an item for more than two years before they eloped in Las Vegas in December, the Globe said.

Tuerk has two teenage sons from a previous marriage, while McLean separately had three children. All of the kids lived with the couple’s exes.

Highly educated people do some crazy-ass stuff. This guy was the chief of urology at St. Elizabeth's specializing in robotic surgery, beautiful house, beautiful wife - he should have had it all. Instead he commits billing fraud and kills his wife. WTF.

You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Thread Information