Thread: Max Verheijen (22), Pim Wuite, Joost Bakker, Sander Dikken and Mathijs van Dulst drowned in a surfing accident

Max Verheijen (22), Pim Wuite, Joost Bakker, Sander Dikken and Mathijs van Dulst drowned in a surfing accident

7 hours ago
    Police in the Netherlands say that five people have died while surfing. Strong winds and currents are believed to have played a role in their deaths.
    Rescue teams in the Netherlands on Tuesday recovered the bodies of three surfers. Two other people rescued from the sea the day before died shortly after being pulled from the water.

The altogether five deaths occurred at the popular beach resort of Scheveningen, a district of The Hague.

Surfers familiar with the conditions at Scheveningen told the Dutch public broadcasting organization NOS that strong winds and adverse currents might have made things difficult for the surfers, some of whom were reportedly very experienced. They said the large amount of foam on the waves may also have played a role.

Difficult search

A coast guard spokesman told the news outlet that during search operations on Tuesday, a helicopter was occasionally flown close to the water to disperse the foam and increase visibility.

Surfers off the beach had come into difficulties on Monday evening. Several managed to reach shore on their own, but seven were brought in by rescuers, of whom two died after their rescue.

The search for those still missing was called off overnight after darkness feel, NOS said.

Timothy Jones
    https://www.dw.com/en/several-surfers-die-off-dutch-coast/a-53403489

What a nightmare! 😔

This article is in Dutch, which I understand and speak a bit. The first names of the victims were Joost, Sander, Pim, Mathijs and Max.

The men were 22, 24, 30, 38 and 40 years old.

https://www.ad.nl/binnenland/surfram...ww.google.com/

A Swiss online mag released an article with photos (made irrecognizable) and the first letters of their last names. The article is in German.

https://amp.blick.ch/news/ausland/re...Von%20%251%24s

I'm not sure about the ages because the Swiss article doesn't mention a 40-year-old but a 23-year-old. So maybe you just say "between 20 and 40" when you make an article or so.

I've been looking for exact ages too and so far haven't found them.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/13/s...spt/index.html

Five surfers who knew the sea "like the back of their hand" have died after a huge layer of foam in the water hampered efforts to rescue them.

The group ran into difficulties at the northern harbor head of the Scheveningen district of The Hague in the Netherlands on Monday evening.

Despite a large-scale rescue operation, only one member of the group could be saved, according to KNRM, the Royal Netherlands Sea Rescue Organization.
    A statement issued online by the rescue service said its efforts were "complicated by the man-sized foam layer at sea and on the beach," while "strong winds and high waves also made it very difficult to provide relief from the harbor pier."

Police, firefighters, the coastguard, units from KNRM and other emergency workers were all involved in the rescue operation, in which a helicopter was used to try to blow away the foam and improve visibility.

Two of the bodies were recovered on Monday and another two the following morning, according to the KNRM post. A fifth body has yet to be recovered. The victims' identities have not yet been released.

Investigators are now looking into what caused the sea foam and its possible role in the tragedy.

Btw, I read that wrong in the Dutch article, the 40-year-old is the one who was saved and brought to a hospital. Meanwhile he's at home again.

I think I got the ages. 22, 23 (instead of 40), 24, 30 and 38. At least the Dutch and Swiss articles both state that.

Quote Originally Posted by StarrySky87 View Post
    I think I got the ages. 22, 23 (instead of 40), 24, 30 and 38. At least the Dutch and Swiss articles both state that.
    I hope I got the right matchup on the names and ages. Let me know if it's not correct and I can change it.

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2020...rfing_accident

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I hope I got the right matchup on the names and ages. Let me know if it's not correct and I can change it.

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2020...rfing_accident
    Max was the youngest, born in November 1997. Somebody posted an obituary on his FB page. I don't know about the others and I can't find an article where the age is linked to the name.

Quote Originally Posted by StarrySky87 View Post
    Max was the youngest, born in November 1997. Somebody posted an obituary on his FB page. I don't know about the others and I can't find an article where the age is linked to the name.
    It has to have an exact age on the article (it is suprisingly specific on what you have to have or it will give you an error), as opposed to a range. I can take everyone except Max off the MDS article, and if we find the others we can add them.

https://www.ad.nl/binnenland/ze-leef...s=heirloom-srp..

Here we go.

Sander - 38
    Max - 22
    Joost - 30
    Pim - 24
    Mathijs - 23

So sad. RIP.
    (I know this is inappropriate but, I couldn't help but notice how absolutely gorgeous these young men were.) I hope I get one as my angel.

Quote Originally Posted by terps1990 View Post
    So sad. RIP.
    (I know this is inappropriate but, I couldn't help but notice how absolutely gorgeous these young men were.) I hope I get one as my angel.
    This is so sad, and yes, they were quite handsome. I find the Dutch to be attractive in general.

I guess you have to be somewhat of a fanatical surfer to go out in foam like that - it looked gross to me, I wouldn't even go in up to my ankles.

ETA: It looks like at least three of the surfers had FB connections with the others. Their friends must be devastated. Many have changed their profile pics to this:

Last edited by KimTisha; 05-17-2020 at 08:02 AM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    This is so sad, and yes, they were quite handsome. I find the Dutch to be attractive in general.

I guess you have to be somewhat of a fanatical surfer to go out in foam like that - it looked gross to me, I wouldn't even go in up to my ankles.

ETA: It looks like at least three of the surfers had FB connections with the others. Their friends must be devastated. Many have changed their profile pics to this:

They made that sign in memory of the five. It's a big story in Schevenaar or rather the Netherlands in general.
    Three of the guys worked in the same surfer shop, so probably they were at least partially in the same clique.

Thread Information