Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sgt. Lawrence Sprader (25) was found dead after he disappeared

Sgt. Lawrence Sprader (25) was found dead after he disappeared

how sad.  this guy was from a community not far from me.  everyone was pretty freaked out about it.  he survived being in iraq only to die like this.  irony or just bad luck?  rip lawrence

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2007/06/14/Sgt__Lawrence_Sprader_(25)_was_found_dead_after_he _disappeared_on_a_navigation_exercise

Re: Sgt. Lawrence Sprader (25) was found dead after he disappeared

[quote author=MAVEN link=topic=8072.msg410636#msg410636 date=1181757168]
    how sad.  this guy was from a community not far from me.  everyone was pretty freaked out about it.  he survived being in iraq only to die like this.  irony or just bad luck?  rip lawrence

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2007/06/14/Sgt__Lawrence_Sprader_(25)_was_found_dead_after_he _disappeared_on_a_navigation_exercise
    [/quote]

Did ya notice how old that news article is? 

RIP Lawrence. 

[quote author=daybreaksdisdain link=topic=8072.msg410683#msg410683 date=1181758394]
    Did ya notice how old that news article is? 

RIP Lawrence. 
    [/quote]

Wow DBD, you're on the ball.

I wonder if he comitted suicide, since he was found near plenty of drinking water.  I would imagine if he was bit by a snake or something, that he would have radioed in.  But who knows.

RIP Lawrence.

I just read about him in the paper this week.  Can't wait for this article to go public.

RIP Lawrence....  What happened to you?

[quote author=Budweiser Drinker link=topic=8072.msg410733#msg410733 date=1181759980]
    Wow DBD, you're on the ball.

I wonder if he comitted suicide, since he was found near plenty of drinking water.  I would imagine if he was bit by a snake or something, that he would have radioed in.  But who knows.

RIP Lawrence.
    [/quote]

This is one that we will have to watch. I have a feeling that there is more to this than meets the eye.
    <br />&quot;If you aren&#039;t going to use the head on your shoulders, I will remove it by any means necessary .&quot; <br />

[quote author=hunibuni link=topic=8072.msg410762#msg410762 date=1181760684]
    This is one that we will have to watch. I have a feeling that there is more to this than meets the eye.
    [/quote]

Exactly.&nbsp; Since the story came out it seemed so odd.&nbsp; I'm thinking he was dead or close to it when the sirens went off.

[quote author=daybreaksdisdain link=topic=8072.msg410770#msg410770 date=1181761010]
    Exactly.&nbsp; Since the story came out it seemed so odd.&nbsp; I'm thinking he was dead or close to it when the sirens went off.
    [/quote]

But don't you think if he was in distress that he would have radioed in?

[quote author=Budweiser Drinker link=topic=8072.msg410779#msg410779 date=1181761489]
    [/quote]

It depends I guess.&nbsp; I wonder if the other soldiers who got lost radioed in or if they just waited for the sirens.&nbsp; I don't know how those survival training sessions work.

[quote author=Budweiser Drinker link=topic=8072.msg410779#msg410779 date=1181761489]
    [/quote]

If he wanted to be saved. Most life insurance policies don't pay for a straight suicide. So if he allowed himself to die from the elements or from dehydration, if he has any family they will be compensated. And then under whatever is with the military, he died on active duty, so there is what ever benefits he would have passed on there.
    <br />&quot;If you aren&#039;t going to use the head on your shoulders, I will remove it by any means necessary .&quot; <br />

[quote author=hunibuni link=topic=8072.msg410790#msg410790 date=1181761969]
    If he wanted to be saved. Most life insurance policies don't pay for a straight suicide. So if he allowed himself to die from the elements or from dehydration, if he has any family they will be compensated. And then under whatever is with the military, he died on active duty, so there is what ever benefits he would have passed on there.
    [/quote]

True.&nbsp; Who knows what happened, I guess only time will tell.

Could his cell phone have died?

&quot;When commanders reached Sprader on his phone late Friday _ the last time anyone spoke to him _ he did not indicate he was ill or distressed. But searchers were worried he may have succumbed to the 90-plus degree heat. Sprader was equipped with two canteens, a water backpack and two Meals Ready To Eat.&quot;
    http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=104&amp;sid=1164014

It also says in this article that there are poisonous snakes and mountain lions on the base.&nbsp; I wonder how long before they report the results of the autopsy?

RIP Lawrence

[quote author=Budweiser Drinker link=topic=8072.msg410795#msg410795 date=1181762140]
    True.&nbsp; Who knows what happened, I guess only time will tell.
    [/quote]

If they tell. Depending on the Army, we may never get to the bottom of this mess.

[quote author=Onthedarkside link=topic=8072.msg410803#msg410803 date=1181762454]
    Could his cell phone have died?

&quot;When commanders reached Sprader on his phone late Friday _ the last time anyone spoke to him _ he did not indicate he was ill or distressed. But searchers were worried he may have succumbed to the 90-plus degree heat. Sprader was equipped with two canteens, a water backpack and two Meals Ready To Eat.&quot;
    http://www.wtopnews.com/?nid=104&amp;sid=1164014

It also says in this article that there are poisonous snakes and mountain lions on the base.&nbsp; I wonder how long before they report the results of the autopsy?

RIP Lawrence

[/quote]

I think that is wrong.&nbsp; I don't think the military issues cell phones during training excersises, I guess it could have been some type of world phone or something, but I would think he would have a radio.

[quote author=Budweiser Drinker link=topic=8072.msg410814#msg410814 date=1181762738]
    I think that is wrong.&nbsp; I don't think the military issues cell phones during training excersises, I guess it could have been some type of world phone or something, but I would think he would have a radio.
    [/quote]

I don't see them calling him on a cell either. Wouldn't it be a signal that would be far to easy to intercept? Thought training exercises were pretty close to the real deal.

I agree that there's more to this story and hopefully we'll see it all unfold.&nbsp; his poor brother was so sad on the news this morning.&nbsp; i was shocked to see the article on the front page already this morning!&nbsp; awesome job as usual dbd!&nbsp;

&quot;A soldier who went missing for four days after a solo navigation exercise died of hyperthermia and dehydration, according to autopsy results released Wednesday.&quot;

http://www.buffalonews.com/260/story/97801.html

Also from the same article
    &quot;Commanders said that when they reached Sprader on his phone late Friday - the last time anyone spoke to him - he was determined to finish the exercise and did not indicate he was ill or distressed.&quot;

I still believe he had a cell phone with him.&nbsp; I know my son has called me from his cell phone while he was out on training missions.&nbsp;

I am beginning to wonder if it was suicide.&nbsp; I mean he was found next to water.&nbsp; I do not think we will ever know what really happened.

RIP Soldier
    From a Soldier's Mom

[quote author=hunibuni link=topic=8072.msg410790#msg410790 date=1181761969]
    Most life insurance policies don't pay for a straight suicide. So if he allowed himself to die from the elements or from dehydration, if he has any family they will be compensated. And then under whatever is with the military, he died on active duty, so there is what ever benefits he would have passed on there.
    [/quote]

I just quoted myself so I didn't have to post this again.

[quote author=Onthedarkside link=topic=8072.msg411124#msg411124 date=1181777309]
    &quot;A soldier who went missing for four days after a solo navigation exercise died of hyperthermia and dehydration, according to autopsy results released Wednesday.&quot;

http://www.buffalonews.com/260/story/97801.html

Also from the same article
    &quot;Commanders said that when they reached Sprader on his phone late Friday - the last time anyone spoke to him - he was determined to finish the exercise and did not indicate he was ill or distressed.&quot;

I still believe he had a cell phone with him.&nbsp; I know my son has called me from his cell phone while he was out on training missions.&nbsp;

I am beginning to wonder if it was suicide.&nbsp; I mean he was found next to water.&nbsp; I do not think we will ever know what really happened.

RIP Soldier
    From a Soldier's Mom

[/quote]

Is that even allowed?

[quote author=hunibuni link=topic=8072.msg411126#msg411126 date=1181777417]
    I just quoted myself so I didn't have to post this again.
    [/quote]

Good Point!! So yes it could be suicide.&nbsp; What a horrible way to die. Hyperthermia and dehydration does not sound like a good way to go.

[quote author=Budweiser Drinker link=topic=8072.msg411127#msg411127 date=1181777511]
    Is that even allowed?
    [/quote]

I'm not sure if it is allowed.&nbsp; I just know he calls.&nbsp;

[quote author=Onthedarkside link=topic=8072.msg411140#msg411140 date=1181778039]
    Good Point!! So yes it could be suicide.&nbsp; What a horrible way to die. Hyperthermia and dehydration does not sound like a good way to go.

I'm not sure if it is allowed.&nbsp; I just know he calls.&nbsp;

[/quote]

WOW, I didn't think that anyone would even think about carrying a cell during a training mission.&nbsp; But I'm not in the military so what would I know.&nbsp; ;)&nbsp; If you don't mind me asking, what branch is he in?

[quote author=Budweiser Drinker link=topic=8072.msg411350#msg411350 date=1181790857]
    WOW, I didn't think that anyone would even think about carrying a cell during a training mission.&nbsp; But I'm not in the military so what would I know.&nbsp; ;)&nbsp; If you don't mind me asking, what branch is he in?
    [/quote]

Army.&nbsp; He is stationed at Ft. Sill Oklahoma.
    When I talk to him again I will ask him if they also use radios while out on training missions.

This article says that his phone had a tracking device which they tried to use to locate him but the battery was dead.&nbsp; Which would explain why he didn't call in with any injuries, etc.
    http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/index.html

Talked to my son today and I asked him some questions about training excercises.

No, cell phones are not suppose to be brought.&nbsp; But some people do (namely him, which he did once) bring them. He said your Sgts and above in rank normally have their cell phones.

What he couldn't understand is why Sgt Sprader was alone.&nbsp; He said they always go out on missions in groups of 2 or 3. Also a radio is issued to each group.

So my conversation with my son has made me more confused about this sad death.
    Why wasn't Sgt Sprader with his &quot;Battle Buddy&quot;.&nbsp; &quot;Battle Buddies&quot; are a way of life in the Army.&nbsp; From boot-camp on you are assigned a Battle Buddy, this person is with you at all times.&nbsp; Matter of fact when my son came home from basic he brought his Buddy home with him!!

I found the following on Sgt Spraders MS and it really touched me.

Sprayder the word hoah to a soldier means anything but no. You didn't quit or give up, you did whatever you needed to do to complete your mission even if it meant givin up your life. I have a new inspiration and I am very proud to be one of your friends. You are now a hero to many and you will never be forgotten. I love you and will always miss you, Im gonna keep you in my prayers and ask god to let you sit next to him in the kingdom of heaven as an angel.....(HOOOAAAAHHHH)
    R.I.P SGT SPRAYER JUNE 13, 2007 A.K.A SPRADIZZLE

Hoah Soldier RIP

Thread Information