Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ahmaud Arbery (25) was shot and killed by an ex cop and his son, because he was jogging and they said he looked like a person suspected in recent break-ins

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisychain View Post
    I just read yesterday about a father/son pair who were recently arrested in MS for attempted murder for chasing and blocking in with their pickup truck a black FedEx driver in their neighborhood. The driver was not shot but his truck was, I think father/son surname is Case. I couldn't fucking believe it. It reminded me so much of this case.
    What the fuck is wrong with people?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    What the fuck is wrong with people?!
    They are used to being able to do this with impunity. Things are changing, and thank God. I can't imagine being chased and shot at. That sounds so traumatizing.

I was wondering why they were going through with the federal trial myself. I think that it's because there's a good chance that a Georgia Supreme Court Judge would reduce the sentence on appeal. In federal court that's not likely. However, federal prison is better than state prison. They're cleaner, and have better food etc. I think that Georgia still uses private prisons while the government doesn't (not sure if Trump changed that) and most criminals would pick Fed's over state if given the choice. I'm sure that Georgia prisons are still unofficially segregated as are the federal prisons, so they will be safe regardless. I know that in Illinois they stopped the unofficial segregation and now make sure to mix all prisoners up to cut down on gang activity and violence.

Y'all know that I asked everyone that I knew and researched this. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Queenatoo View Post
    They are used to being able to do this with impunity. Things are changing, and thank God. I can't imagine being chased and shot at. That sounds so traumatizing.

I was wondering why they were going through with the federal trial myself. I think that it's because there's a good chance that a Georgia Supreme Court Judge would reduce the sentence on appeal. In federal court that's not likely. However, federal prison is better than state prison. They're cleaner, and have better food etc. I think that Georgia still uses private prisons while the government doesn't (not sure if Trump changed that) and most criminals would pick Fed's over state if given the choice. I'm sure that Georgia prisons are still unofficially segregated as are the federal prisons, so they will be safe regardless. I know that in Illinois they stopped the unofficial segregation and now make sure to mix all prisoners up to cut down on gang activity and violence.

Y'all know that I asked everyone that I knew and researched this. LOL
    Good point. Also, your "friends" advised you correctly. Federal prisons are often referred to as "Club Fed" for good reason.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Good point. Also, your "friends" advised you correctly. Federal prisons are often referred to as "Club Fed" for good reason.
    I think federal prisons are less predatory in their fees and expenses. It's a damn shame how much money they try to bilk out of prisoners and their families. Phone fees, food, clothing, etc IMO if they're going to work then the jobs should pay enough to support them. I think that it's $0.20 an hour. It's 2022 and correction doesn't have to mean slavery.

Guys. Think of it this way: the federal trial is basically a hate crimes trial. It is for the deprivation of his civil rights. Ahmaud's mom didn't even really care about the convictions in this case because she knew they were never making it out prison alive, she just wanted to prove to the country that this was a crime done out of racial animus. She wanted all the ugly, disgusting, putrid, embarrassing evidence they found on these men to be shown to the world because they withheld it from the first trial in order to secure a conviction with a mostly white jury, and there was PLENTY. The evidence in this case is fucking vile. Some of it was hard to read. They were unable to get into Greg McMichael's (the father) phone, but they had people come in to testify about shit he had said to them. You guys remember how we couldn't believe how many of the white people on that jury read that right wing trash like the Epoch Times and that shit? Well the judge had ruled that the confederate license plate on the truck that was chasing Ahmaud was admissable evidence at trial, yet the prosecution chose not to use that nor any sort of other racial overtones in order to make the case just about a man who was chased through a neighborhood and shot in the street. You have to remember they saw graphic upclose bodycam footage of him from above laying on the pavement with a gaping shotgun wound in his chest, still alive, and gasping for breath. That was a tactical decision the prosecution made to take the racial aspect from the case and just handle the human aspect. The federal trial then was able to lay out all that ugly shit they didn't show in the other trial, it's like a sister trial, the necessary other half, that's why his mom was SO upset when they made that deal without telling her. Because you guys are right, federal prisons are country clubs compared to state prisons (less crowded, better maintained, less violent, etc.)

TLDR: The second trial is a totally separate trial for the violation of Ahmaud's civil rights, a hate crimes trial. I am a news and politics junkie, I did not see the convo about the difference between the two trials until now. I need to hop on MDS more often to school y'all
    La tristesse durera toujours - Vincent van Gogh

Quote Originally Posted by Daisychain View Post
    Guys. Think of it this way: the federal trial is basically a hate crimes trial. It is for the deprivation of his civil rights. Ahmaud's mom didn't even really care about the convictions in this case because she knew they were never making it out prison alive, she just wanted to prove to the country that this was a crime done out of racial animus. She wanted all the ugly, disgusting, putrid, embarrassing evidence they found on these men to be shown to the world because they withheld it from the first trial in order to secure a conviction with a mostly white jury, and there was PLENTY. The evidence in this case is fucking vile. Some of it was hard to read. They were unable to get into Greg McMichael's (the father) phone, but they had people come in to testify about shit he had said to them. You guys remember how we couldn't believe how many of the white people on that jury read that right wing trash like the Epoch Times and that shit? Well the judge had ruled that the confederate license plate on the truck that was chasing Ahmaud was admissable evidence at trial, yet the prosecution chose not to use that nor any sort of other racial overtones in order to make the case just about a man who was chased through a neighborhood and shot in the street. You have to remember they saw graphic upclose bodycam footage of him from above laying on the pavement with a gaping shotgun wound in his chest, still alive, and gasping for breath. That was a tactical decision the prosecution made to take the racial aspect from the case and just handle the human aspect. The federal trial then was able to lay out all that ugly shit they didn't show in the other trial, it's like a sister trial, the necessary other half, that's why his mom was SO upset when they made that deal without telling her. Because you guys are right, federal prisons are country clubs compared to state prisons (less crowded, better maintained, less violent, etc.)

TLDR: The second trial is a totally separate trial for the violation of Ahmaud's civil rights, a hate crimes trial. I am a news and politics junkie, I did not see the convo about the difference between the two trials until now. I need to hop on MDS more often to school y'all
    Yep. Just like Emmett Till's mother had them leave the coffin open so the world could see...
    Warning! Graphic photo ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/ahm...ict/index.html

Ahmaud Arbery's killers found guilty on all counts in federal hate crime trial

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/ahm...ict/index.html

Ahmaud Arbery's killers found guilty on all counts in federal hate crime trial

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

On my cell.
    Former DA Johnson trying to weasel her way out of going to jail.
    https://thebrunswicknews.com/news/lo...e7ec712bb.html
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    This case is local to me, and reaffirms my stance on capital punishment. These fuckers need to die. Yeah, yeah, it doesn't solve anything, blah blah...whatthefuckever. It removes a criminal asshole element from the land of the living, and that's enough for me. Fuck these losers. Fuck every single shithead douchetool who supports them, too. Fuck them with a rusty spade. They can all take a long walk off a short pier into a dry lakebed full of poisonous reptiles.

These guys knew what they were doing. Knew it was wrong. Didn't care. Did it anyway. And we need to hold everyone who kept this case "under wraps" just as accountable, because they are just as fucking guilty.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    This case is local to me, and reaffirms my stance on capital punishment. These fuckers need to die. Yeah, yeah, it doesn't solve anything, blah blah...whatthefuckever. It removes a criminal asshole element from the land of the living, and that's enough for me. Fuck these losers. Fuck every single shithead douchetool who supports them, too. Fuck them with a rusty spade. They can all take a long walk off a short pier into a dry lakebed full of poisonous reptiles.

These guys knew what they were doing. Knew it was wrong. Didn't care. Did it anyway. And we need to hold everyone who kept this case "under wraps" just as accountable, because they are just as fucking guilty.
    We should meet for coffee.

We should meet for coffee.
    Coffee with Mayo?

I'm so happy that this case didn't get buried. The corruption was all over it. His Mom is a hero.

The white man who fatally shot Ahmaud Arbery after chasing the running Black man in a Georgia neighborhood says he fears he will be killed by fellow inmates if he's sent to a state prison to serve a life sentence for murder.

Travis McMichael, 36, faces sentencing Monday in U.S. District Court after his conviction on federal hate crime charges in February. His defense attorney filed a legal motion Thursday asking the judge to keep McMichael in federal custody.

Attorney Amy Lee Copeland argued McMichael has received ?hundreds of threats? and won't be safe in a Georgia state prison system that is under investigation by the U.S. Justice Department amid concerns about violence between inmates.

On Feb. 23, 2020, McMichael and his father, Greg McMichael, armed themselves with guns and jumped in a pickup truck to chase Arbery after he ran past their home just outside the port city of Brunswick. A neighbor, William ?Roddie? Bryan, joined the chase in his own truck and recorded cellphone video of Travis McMichael blasting Arbery with a shotgun.

The killing of Arbery became part of a larger national reckoning over racial injustice amid other high-profile killings of unarmed Black people including George Floyd in Minneapolis and Breonna Taylor in Kentucky.

In Georgia, the McMichaels and Bryan were sentenced to life in prison after being convicted of Arbery's murder in a state court last fall. They have remained in a county jail in custody of U.S. marshals since standing trial in February in federal court, where a jury convicted them of hate crimes. Each defendant now faces a potential second life sentence.

Once the men are sentenced Monday by U.S. District Court Judge Lisa Godbey Wood, protocol would be to turn them over the Georgia Department of Corrections to serve their prison terms for murder. That's because they were first arrested and tried by state authorities.

For Travis McMichael, ?his concern is that he will promptly be killed upon delivery to the state prison system for service of that sentence,? Copeland wrote in her sentencing request. ?He has received numerous threats of death that are credible in light of all circumstances.?

Copeland said she has alerted Georgia's corrections agency, ?which has replied that these threats are unverified and that it can securely house McMichael in state custody.?

Greg McMichael, 66, has also asked the judge to put him in federal rather than state prison, citing safety concerns and health problems.

Arbery's family family has insisted the McMichaels and Bryan should serve their sentences in a state prison, arguing a federal penitentiary wouldn?t be as tough. His parents objected forcefully before the federal trial when both McMichaels sought a plea deal that would have included a request to transfer them to federal prison. The judge ended up rejecting the plea agreement.

?Granting these men their preferred choice of confinement would defeat me,? Arbery?s mother, Wanda Cooper-Jones, told the judge at a hearing Jan. 31. ?It gives them one last chance to spit in my face.?

A federal judge doesn't have the authority to order a state to relinquish its lawful custody of inmates to the Federal Bureau of Prisons, said Ed Tarver, an Augusta lawyer and former U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Georgia.

?She can certainly make that request," Tarver said of the judge, "and it would be up to the state Department of Corrections whether or not they agree to do that.?

Copeland's court filing refers to a prior agreement between the judge, prosecutors and defense attorneys to keep the McMichaels and Bryan in federal custody "through the completion of the federal trial and any post-trial proceedings.? She argued that means Travis McMichael should at least remain in federal custody through appeals of his hate crime conviction.
    https://news.yahoo.com/lawyer-arbery...l&uh_test=1_04
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Oh no he wouldnt be safe. He should have stopped and thought about that before hunting an innocent human.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    The white man who fatally shot Ahmaud Arbery after chasing the running Black man in a Georgia neighborhood says he fears he will be killed by fellow inmates if he's sent to a state prison to serve a life sentence for murder.

Travis McMichael, 36, faces sentencing Monday in U.S. District Court after his conviction on federal hate crime charges in February. His defense attorney filed a legal motion Thursday asking the judge to keep McMichael in federal custody.

Attorney Amy Lee Copeland argued McMichael has received ?hundreds of threats? and won't be safe in a Georgia state prison system that is under investigation by the U.S. Justice Department amid concerns about violence between inmates.

On Feb. 23, 2020, McMichael and his father, Greg McMichael, armed themselves with guns and jumped in a pickup truck to chase Arbery after he ran past their home just outside the port city of Brunswick. A neighbor, William ?Roddie? Bryan, joined the chase in his own truck and recorded cellphone video of Travis McMichael blasting Arbery with a shotgun.

The killing of Arbery became part of a larger national reckoning over racial injustice amid other high-profile killings of unarmed Black people including George Floyd in Minneapolis and Breonna Taylor in Kentucky.

In Georgia, the McMichaels and Bryan were sentenced to life in prison after being convicted of Arbery's murder in a state court last fall. They have remained in a county jail in custody of U.S. marshals since standing trial in February in federal court, where a jury convicted them of hate crimes. Each defendant now faces a potential second life sentence.

Once the men are sentenced Monday by U.S. District Court Judge Lisa Godbey Wood, protocol would be to turn them over the Georgia Department of Corrections to serve their prison terms for murder. That's because they were first arrested and tried by state authorities.

For Travis McMichael, ?his concern is that he will promptly be killed upon delivery to the state prison system for service of that sentence,? Copeland wrote in her sentencing request. ?He has received numerous threats of death that are credible in light of all circumstances.?

Copeland said she has alerted Georgia's corrections agency, ?which has replied that these threats are unverified and that it can securely house McMichael in state custody.?

Greg McMichael, 66, has also asked the judge to put him in federal rather than state prison, citing safety concerns and health problems.

Arbery's family family has insisted the McMichaels and Bryan should serve their sentences in a state prison, arguing a federal penitentiary wouldn?t be as tough. His parents objected forcefully before the federal trial when both McMichaels sought a plea deal that would have included a request to transfer them to federal prison. The judge ended up rejecting the plea agreement.

?Granting these men their preferred choice of confinement would defeat me,? Arbery?s mother, Wanda Cooper-Jones, told the judge at a hearing Jan. 31. ?It gives them one last chance to spit in my face.?

A federal judge doesn't have the authority to order a state to relinquish its lawful custody of inmates to the Federal Bureau of Prisons, said Ed Tarver, an Augusta lawyer and former U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Georgia.

?She can certainly make that request," Tarver said of the judge, "and it would be up to the state Department of Corrections whether or not they agree to do that.?

Copeland's court filing refers to a prior agreement between the judge, prosecutors and defense attorneys to keep the McMichaels and Bryan in federal custody "through the completion of the federal trial and any post-trial proceedings.? She argued that means Travis McMichael should at least remain in federal custody through appeals of his hate crime conviction.
    It's almost like they are never concerned about prison conditions until it's time for them to pay the consequences. I'm quite sure that he will be ok in prison. I can't really see Georgia integrating their prisons. White supremacist would love for him to join their ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post

It's almost like they are never concerned about prison conditions until it's time for them to pay the consequences. I'm quite sure that he will be ok in prison. I can't really see Georgia integrating their prisons. White supremacist would love for him to join their ranks.

Awwwww..... Poor little murdering racist is afraid for his life?

You know how you could have avoided that, fuckface? By not murdering an innocent man. I hope you get the living daylights beaten out of you daily.

I forgot to post this, but tomorrow, they're doing an unveiling of a honorary Ahmaud Arbery street signage.
    I don't know how honorary it will be since it's in the ghetto. I feel it should be somewhere more prominent where more people will travel. No one wants to go to Alphabet City.

https://www.facebook.com/citybwkga

Go to July 25th.

Also, I was wondering why there were cameras in front of the courthouse. I figured it had something to do with Ahmaud.

Hopefully, they all have fun with their new state buddies. Muahaha!

#McScared

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

https://thebrunswicknews.com/news/lo...b56e83697.html

Nearly a year later, little progress in case against former DA Jackie Johnson
    By LARRY HOBBS lhobbs@thebrunswicknews.com Aug 12, 2022

Unseated Brunswick Judicial Circuit District Attorney Jackie Johnson insists she did not interfere with the investigation into the shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery, for which her former investigator is among three men now serving life in prison.

But Georgia Attorney General Chris Carr insists otherwise, alleging Johnson repeatedly attempted to manipulate the investigation beginning just hours after the fatal shooting on Feb. 23, 2020, on the streets of the Satilla Shores neighborhood.

Both sides maintain the evidence will prove their position in court. Yet, nearly a year after a grand jury indicted Johnson for violating her oath of office by allegedly meddling in the investigation, there is no progress to report from the Glynn County Courthouse. There has been no activity since AG Carr filed a detailed response May 6 to an earlier motion from Johnson calling for dismissal of the charges.

There is no hearing scheduled on the case and ?there have been no new filings,? a Glynn County Superior Court spokeswoman told The News this week.

Other than to confirm that he is still representing Johnson in the case, Kingsland attorney John J. Ossick Jr. told The News he could not comment further.

The Georgia AG's office said late Thursday afternoon that it is awaiting an arraignment date. Also, the AG's office noted that its investigation of Johnson remains very much alive.

"The next step (in the court process) would be arraignment, a date that is set by the court," said AG spokeswoman Kara Richardson. "And while an indictment has been returned, our file is not closed and our full investigation continues."

After serving as DA for 10 years, Johnson lost the 2020 election to current Brunswick DA Keith Higgins in a heated campaign fueled by public furor over her handling of the Arbery case.

Former long-time DA investigator Gregory McMichael, 66, his son Travis McMichael, 36, and 52-year-old William ?Roddie? Bryan all have been sentenced to life in state prison for murder. The White father and son additionally were sentenced Monday in U.S. District Court in Brunswick to life in federal prison for firearms violence charges, attempted kidnapping and violating the 25-year-old Arbery?s right to use a public street because he was Black.

Bryan received a 37-year federal sentence Monday for attempted kidnapping and violating Arbery?s civil rights.

There is no parole in the federal prison system.

Foremost in the minds of many who were on hand for Monday?s federal sentencing was speculation about the status of the case against Johnson.

Travis McMichael shot the unarmed Arbery dead on the afternoon of Feb. 23, 2020, ending a chase during which the young man ran for his life as the three pursued him in pickup trucks through the streets of Satilla Shores. It started when the McMichaels armed themselves, jumped into a pickup truck and chased Arbery after seeing him run past their home at 230 Satilla Drive. Bryan joined the chase in his pickup truck after seeing Arbery run past his home with the McMichaels in pursuit.

Bryan?s cell phone recording of the murder sparked national outrage and cries of racial injustice after it went viral online on May 5, 2020. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation arrested the McMichaels two days later and Bryan on May 20, 2020.

The case had lingered for 2 ? months without an arrest prior to that, a period in which the county police department?s investigation had all but stagnated. In that time, the case went through a succession of prosecutors.

Johnson recused herself the day of the murder, claiming conflict of interest because of Greg McMichael?s 20-year career as a DA investigator. McMicheal retired in 2019.

Johnson reached out to Waycross DA George E. Barnhill the day of the murder, asking him to consult with Glynn County police on the case. It was later learned that Barnhill gave police an initial assessment the next day of self defense in the course of a citizen?s arrest.

Carr said he assigned the case to Barnhill later that week at Johnson?s recommendation, unaware that the two prosecutors had already discussed the case or that Barnhill had offered an opinion on it.

Barnhill, however, stepped down in April 2020 under pressure from Arbery?s family because his son, George E. Barnhill, was an assistant prosecutor with the Brunswick DA.

The case then went to the Hinesville DA. It later went to the Cobb County DA, which successfully prosecuted all three on murder charges during an emotionally-charged six-week trial that ended with guilty verdicts on Nov. 24, 2021.

By that time a Glynn County grand jury had handed down indictments against Johnson. The indictments on Sept. 2, 2021, charged her with felony violation of oath of office and misdemeanor willful obstruction of law enforcement.

The grand jury alleged that Johnson ?did knowingly and willfully hinder? the investigation by instructing Glynn County police investigators on the scene of the murder not to make an arrest. The grand jury further accused Johnson of funneling the case to Waycross DA Barnhill.

Johnson turned herself in Sept. 8, 2021, at the Glynn County Detention Center. She was booked at 8 a.m. that day and released on $10,000 bond at 8:07 a.m., jail records show.

Johnson?s attorney filed a motion to dismiss the charges on March 25, asserting no evidence exists that she interfered with the investigation. In the motion, attorney Ossick stated there is no proof that Johnson gave ?any direction, order, edict, instruction, request or any other communication, either directly or indirectly, that Travis McMichael or anyone else involved in the brutal slaying of Mr. Arbery not be taken into custody at any time.?

The lack of evidence that Johnson tampered with the case also would negate the felony charge of violation of oath of office, Ossick said.

In a detailed response, the Georgia AG?s office countered that ample evidence exists, including 16 phone calls between Johnson and Greg McMichael between the day of the shooting and the arrests. On the final call between Johnson and McMichael, on May 5, Greg McMichael allegedly left a message expressing thanks for a referral, adding ?he?s gonna run interference for me right now and that?s damn good advice and I appreciate it very much,? the motion states.

The AG?s motion further claims Johnson attempted to manipulate the case?s outcome by allegedly recommending it to Barnhill with advance knowledge that he had already reached a conclusion favorable to the defendants.

?Johnson failed to disclose, however, that Barnhill had already reviewed the case and declared the case to be self-defense,? the AG?s motion states. ?Thus, Johnson manipulated the case in favor of her former employee and his son.?

She needs to be locked up. EVERYONE that aided and abetted in this case needs to be. Fucking atrocious.

I follow a Facebook page that posts photos of people that are arrested in my area. Look who just got posted.
    I didn't realize who it was until I read the comments.
    I didn't know she Snapchatted a photo of Ahmaud's dead body (or maybe I forgot) until I looked at the comments.
    Lindsay was arrested for dui.

https://thegeorgiagazette.com/glynn/lindsay-mcmichael/

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I follow a Facebook page that posts photos of people that are arrested in my area. Look who just got posted.
    I didn't realize who it was until I read the comments.
    I didn't know she Snapchatted a photo of Ahmaud's dead body (or maybe I forgot) until I looked at the comments.
    Lindsay was arrested for dui.

https://thegeorgiagazette.com/glynn/lindsay-mcmichael/
    Karma is a...

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Three white men convicted of hate crimes for chasing and killing Ahmaud Arbery in a Georgia neighborhood in 2020 will have their appeals heard by a federal court in March.

Attorneys for father and son Greg and Travis McMichael and their neighbor, William “Roddie” Bryan, are asking the court to throw out hate crime convictions returned by a jury in coastal Brunswick in 2022.
    Full story: https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...eals-106680595

Thread Information