Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ahmaud Arbery (25) was shot and killed by an ex cop and his son, because he was jogging and they said he looked like a person suspected in recent break-ins

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    This case just gets worse and worse. I am somewhat suspect about the timing of the sex abuse allegation though, the guy has been in jail since what, March?

Technically, the eighth amendment prohibits setting excessive bail as punishment or to keep a suspect confined before trial. But this guy is on video committing the murder, he's clearly a danger to society - just ask the Arbery family. Sorry, I don't think he should even be eligible for bail.
    I'm sure the sexual abuse happened before the whole Arbery shooting. I guess someone came forward, because they felt safe enough to speak or they're seeking publicity.

If that's true, the 8th Amendment clearly doesn't work. I believe many suspects are confined until their trial.

I drove to Satilla Shores tonight. I've been meaning to see where it all happened, but I've never really had the chance to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    "he had Skittles so he could have made drugs".
    Quote Originally Posted by daisylane View Post
    Yo mama such a ho, that Foursquare has made her vag a place to "check in".

On cell.
    I'm not sure if this has been posted.
    Video of 2017 shoplifting incident by Ahmaud.
    https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/new...ifting-attempt

https://www.kget.com/news/national/a...rbery-slaying/

Well you're puppets of hate anyways.

ATLANTA (AP) — Attorneys for a white father and son charged with killing Ahmaud Arbery say their clients weren’t motivated by race when they armed themselves, chased after the young Black man and shot him in the street after a confrontation, according to interviews published Friday.

Gregory and Travis McMichael have been jailed since they were arrested on murder chargesin May, more than two months after 25-year-old Arbery was fatally shot while running in their neighborhood outside the port city of Brunswick.

Cellphone video of Travis McMichael shooting Arbery three times at close range with a shotgun further fueled a national outcry over racial injustice. Gregory McMichael told police after the shooting that he and his son pursued Arbery because they suspected him of being a burglar.

“This case is not about race,” Bob Rubin, one of Travis McMichael’s defense attorneys, told The Atlanta Journal Constitution in a storypublished Friday. “Mr. Arbery was not targeted because he was Black.”

Travis McMichael grabbed a shotgun and his father armed himself with a handgun when they saw Arbery run past their home Feb. 23. The men pursued Arbery in a pickup truck. They stopped in the road in front of Arbery, who kept running until he came face-to-face with Travis McMichael. The video shows Arbery punching and trying to grab the gun before he’s shot.

Attorney Franklin Hogue, who represents Gregory McMichael, was quoted by the newspaper as saying the McMichaels went after Arbery because he had previously been recorded by security cameras inside a nearby home under construction.

“This is what was in their head,” Hogue said. “Not the narrative you’re hearing: `Ah, there’s a Black man running in our neighborhood. Let’s go track him down and shoot him.′ It’s far from that.”

Authorities have said there’s no evidence Arbery stole from the construction site or that he committed any other crimes. An attorney for the homeowner has said it’s possible Arbery stopped at the site for water while he was jogging.

During a preliminary court hearing in June, Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent Richard Dial testified that a third man charged in Arbery’s killing told police he overheard Travis McMichael utter aracist slur as he stood over the body right after the shooting.

Rubin said he believes William “Roddie” Bryan Jr., who shot the video and was also charged with murder for joining the pursuit, made up the account of the slur in hopes of cutting a deal with investigators.

“You could feel the world gasping” when the investigator in court first accused Travis McMichael of using the slur, Rubin said. “We gasped. But when you look at what’s actually happening it can’t be true and I don’t think it’s true.”

Both McMichaels filed legal motions last month asking a judge to grant them bond so they can be released from jail pending trial. They’re still awaiting a decision.

Rubin called Travis McMichael “a man who’s lived a very good life, a life helping others,” not a caricature of “Southern vigilante racism.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...h/?arc404=true

Ahmaud Arbery's mom says her son's death has become a full-blown business for one of her son's friends, a former coach and others -- and she's blasting all of them for profiting off tragedy.

Wanda Cooper-Jones says she's alarmed by the "I RUN WITH MAUD" social media pages, which were initially started as a memorial to her son. She says Ahmaud's friend, Akeem Baker, came to her with the idea and she was on board at first, but doesn't like the fact the page is now being run like a business.

She also says she's being denied administrative access to the page.

Wanda claims Akeem even started a GoFundMe page for her son -- which she never asked him to do -- and it's raised nearly $2 million. The page says the money's going to Wanda, but she's already back to work.

Ahmaud's mother is also incensed someone filed for an "I Run With Maud" trademark. She doesn't say who did it, but does say the applicant never even knew Ahmaud.

Next on her list is Foundation 2.23 ... which refers to the date Ahmaud was killed. Wanda says it was founded by Jason Vaughn, a local high school coach who did not have a close relationship with Ahmaud. She says the org held a big fundraiser, but wants to make it clear the foundation is not affiliated with her family.

She says she's could not stay silent in the face of what she sees as injustice. Wanda's bottom line is ... she's not asking for any money, because no amount of cash can change the fact she had to bury her son.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...h/?arc404=true

BRUNSWICK, Ga. ? Jason Vaughn stepped out of the locker room, and already his phone was buzzing again, another citizen-turned-activist calling about another young Black man who had died in police custody.

?All of these people are calling about cases,? Vaughn said, and even though he wanted to help bring exposure to all of them, first he needed to deliver a speech to the players on his high school football team.

They had already dedicated their season to the memory of Ahmaud Arbery, who like them had worn the blue and gold of Brunswick High, but that would never be enough. So they waited in the school?s auxiliary gym before practice, as they did every Tuesday, to hear Vaughn speak about the injustices surrounding Arbery?s death. Vaughn arrived and took off his Nikes before walking to the middle of the gym in his socks. Today?s lesson: leadership.

?Who is going to be that lawyer, when somebody is accused of a crime they didn?t do?? Vaughn asked his players. ?Who is going to be the next police chief to make sure the police handle business correctly??

He was now always challenging them with ideas such as this, because over the past six months, Vaughn has become much more than a football coach in his hometown. He has emerged as a leading advocate for justice for Arbery, a 25-year-old Black man ? and his former linebacker ? who was shot and killed after being chased by armed White men while jogging in a local neighborhood in February.

As some local leaders and institutions fell silent after Arbery?s death ? no arrests were made for more than two months ? Vaughn, a longtime assistant coach at Brunswick, helped amplify exposure around the case, which led to wider recognition and eventually the arrests of three men on murder charges. Arbery?s case would go on to become one of the focal points of the broader nationwide reckoning on systemic racism and police brutality, which was again reignited in recent days following the police shooting of Jacob Blake in Kenosha, Wis.

Vaughn, 39, has been racially profiled himself as a Black man in Brunswick, he said, and now he often wonders about his future in the community as a teacher and coach, because some in this small coastal town have warned him to tone it down. Yet even with outside interest in him ? he said schools in Atlanta and Savannah recently have approached him about administrator jobs ? he refuses to leave the kids.

?People on the low have told me I could lose my job for this. A lot of people told me not to do it. People told me to stop stirring trouble. I became an agitator in my hometown, for talking about a guy who was murdered in his community,? he said. ?But one of the great things about coaching: I got more support from the community than I got threats.?

That support has deepened his resolve as a leading advocate for Arbery and victims of racial violence and as a mentor to teens at his school who represent a chance to change the town?s leadership that he believes failed Arbery.

?What people don?t realize is, I still lost my player,? Vaughn said. ?I?m still dealing with grief. I?m doing something a football coach shouldn?t have to do.?
    TOP: Vaughn coaches offensive linemen on blocking technique during practice last month. ?People told me to stop stirring trouble,? Vaughn says. ?I became an agitator in my hometown, for talking about a guy who was murdered in his community. But one of the great things about coaching: I got more support from the community than I got threats.? (Stephen B. Morton for The Washington Post) BOTTOM LEFT: Vaughn explains a scheme to his offensive linemen during a practice last month. ?What people don?t realize is, I still lost my player,? Vaughn says of Ahmaud Arbery. ?I?m still dealing with grief.? (Stephen B. Morton for The Washington Post) BOTTOM RIGHT: A mural of Ahmaud Arbery in Brunswick, Ga. (Yolanda Richardson for The Washington Post)
    ?He latched on and wouldn?t let go?

The last time Vaughn saw Arbery was on a Friday morning in November. Vaughn was stressed the morning before a big game, so he went for a run in his neighborhood. A few minutes into the workout, he saw Arbery running in the distance. Vaughn called out for him and tried to catch up with his former player, but Arbery was running too fast. He turned the corner of a block and disappeared.

?He moved with great speed,? Vaughn said.

Vaughn knew Arbery loved to run. Arbery lived in the neighborhood of Fancy Bluff, and his route would often take him about two miles across U.S. Route 17 ? a bustling four-lane highway connecting Brunswick and the sandy-beach resorts of Jekyll Island on the Atlantic Ocean. He would cross into Satilla Shores, a small subdivision composed mostly of 20th-century ranch homes nestled beneath towering oak trees cloaked in thick Spanish moss.

That?s where Arbery was the afternoon of Feb. 23 when he was shot and killed after being chased through the neighborhood by three White men.

After spotting Arbery from his front yard, Gregory McMichael, 64, alerted his son, Travis McMichael, 34, according to the police report. The men armed themselves with a .357 magnum and a shotgun and hopped into a white truck to give chase. Gregory McMichael told police that a third man from their neighborhood, William ?Roddie? Bryan Jr., had also attempted to block Arbery with his vehicle as the men gave chase.

Gregory McMichael, a former investigator in the local district attorney?s office, told police that he and his son believed Arbery was a suspected burglar in the neighborhood and that Arbery attacked his son before he was shot and killed. A surveillance video later showed a man believed to be Arbery entering a house under construction in Satilla Shores moments before the shooting, though the property owner said nothing was taken.

The Glynn County district attorney?s office did not bring charges against the McMichaels or Bryan.

None of it made sense to Vaughn. As an African American studies teacher, he had long taught his classes that the killings of unarmed Black men rarely resulted in justice. He made up his mind to be a crusader for Arbery.

?This small guy had a huge heart,? Vaughn said of his former player. ?We had built a bond.?

Vaughn had little idea of where to start. He had heard about Arbery?s death through social media that night. He read the initial story in the local newspaper, the Brunswick News, which cast Arbery as a burglary suspect, and Vaughn cut and pasted the story into his own feed so people could read it. Within an hour, more than 100 of his followers had commented. Vaughn?s brother, John Richards, a pastor and lawyer based in Little Rock, called and told him ?they were set up to get away with it.?

The case, from the beginning, had been plagued by conflicts of interest through multiple district attorney?s offices. It had been under the jurisdiction of prosecutor Jackie Johnson, who four days after Arbery?s death requested to recuse herself from the case because she had worked with Gregory McMichael.

I'm lazy. Has it already been discussed that one of the Mcmichaels confronted someone else about being a burglar?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...outputType=amp

https://www.wsav.com/news/local-news...d-arbery-case/

GLYNN COUNTY, Ga. (WSAV) – The next hearing in the Ahmaud Arbery case has been set for Nov. 12.

According to the Superior Court of Glynn County, a hearing for Travis McMichael, Greg McMichael, and William Bryan will be held at 10 a.m. in front of Judge Timothy Walmsley in Brunswick.

The following matters will be addressed:

Petitions for Bond (Travis McMichaeI and Greg McMichaeI)
    Special Demurrers Nos. 1-8
    Joint Motion for Deposition of Larry English
    State’s Motion for Ex—Parte Hearing
    Motion to Enjoin the State

The McMichaels and Bryan are currently charged with nine counts each, including felony murder and malice murder. All three pleaded not guilty.

Authorities say Travis McMichael fatally shot 25-year-old Arbery on Feb. 23, after he and his father chased him in a pickup truck, armed, as he was jogging in the Satilla Shores subdivision.

Travis McMichael claimed Arbery matched the description of a burglary suspect. Bryan is said to have followed in another vehicle, trapping Arbery on the road and filming the shooting.

Learn more and see the latest updates in the case, here.
    https://www.news4jax.com/news/georgi...d-arbery-case/

BRUNSWICK, Ga. – New court filings in the Ahmaud Arbery case show state attorneys want “racial” text messages and Facebook posts from the men facing murder charges in Arbery’s death to be considered at trial.

The death of Arbery, 25, has sparked nationwide outrage after cellphone video of the teen being chased down and shot to death in a neighborhood near Brunswick, Georgia, was published online.

Travis McMichael and Gregory McMichael, a father and son, have been charged with murder and aggravated assault. William ‘Roddie’ Bryan, the Georgia man whose cellphone video captured the shooting, has also been charged in Arbery’s death.

In early October, the special prosecutor’s office handling the case notified the court it intends to bring to trial evidence of racial slurs posted on social media and sent in text messages by all three men. The messages and post are all dated from 2019, including a racial highway video and racial messages extracted from William “Roddie” Bryan’s phone.

The state also notified the court that it intends to bring up Greg McMichael’s police accreditation suspensions. Records revealed back in May the retired district attorney investigator spent eight years of his career in law enforcement without police powers.

The court document says the admission of the other acts of evidence is “intrinsic evidence” and is submitted for "the purpose of showing proof of motive and/or lack of motive, intent, to explain conduct, and/or absence of mistake, accident, justification, good character or racial goodwill.

Jacksonville Attorney Gene Nichols, who is not affiliated with the case, explained that special prosecutors will next have to convince a judge to allow the evidence to be presented at trial.

“The interesting part about what they are seeking to present, if they’re not required to show any sort of racial element as to the basis for their homicide charges in this case or any other charge, then the court is going to have to weigh: Does this evidence tend to prove some form of intent or motive in order to get it in? Or, on the contrary, is it’s so prejudicial to the defendant, that it should not be admitted into evidence?” Nichols said.

Richard Dial, a special agent with GBI and the lead investigator in the case, testified at the preliminary hearing on June 4 that Travis McMichael was overheard using a racial slur moments after shooting Arbery.

Dial said in court Roddie Bryan told law enforcement he heard McMichael say “f****** n*****” after shooting Ahmaud Arbery three times and prior to police arriving on the scene.

Dial was asked if there is evidence Travis McMichael used the N-word before and he responded, “Yes, sir, many times.”

“One particular one that comes to mind was he made the statement that he loved his job because he’s out on a boat and there aren’t any N-words anywhere,” Dial testified June 4.

Dial also said McMichael responded it would have been better if someone had “blown the f****** n****** head off” in response to an unspecified Instagram post.

The attorney for Travis McMichael said he could not provide a comment at this time. The next hearing in the case is set to happen in November.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ay/ar-BB1aZzCX

The Georgia father and son charged in the shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery are back in court Friday to argue for their release on bond.

It is the second day of arguments in a lengthy hearing that began Thursday, when defense attorneys brought several witnesses to testify on behalf of the suspects, arguing the pair poses no flight risk or threat to public safety.

But prosecutors are fighting to keep the two white men in jail as they await trial on the February killing of 25-year-old Arbery, an unarmed Black man who was chased and shot while running in a residential area outside Brunswick.

In the courtroom Friday, prosecutor Jesse Evans argued that ex-cop Gregory McMichaels and his son Travis pose a “significant danger” to the community and should not be released. He also said the elder McMichael has “vigilante views” and could potentially try obstructing the ongoing investigation.

This photo combo of images taken Thursday, May 7, 2020, and provided by the Glynn County Detention Center, in Georgia, show Gregory McMichael, left, and his son Travis McMichael.

Prosecutors and racial justice activists believe racism played a key role in the killing, with critics describing the caught-on-video incident as an example of modern-day lynching.

Evans on Thursday cited a series of online communications attributed to Travis McMichael, who fired the three fatal shots, as evidence of racism, including a 2019 text message in which he allegedly wrote about shooting “a crackhead c--n with gold teeth” and a year-old Facebook comment featuring an offensive term for Asians. Longtime friend Zachary Langford, who was part of those exchanges, denied that his buddy was being racist.

The two suspects avoided jail for more than two months and were arrested only after cellphone video of the shooting leaked on social media. The footage helped fuel a wave of protests against system racism across the country.

The two men claim they were trying to question Arbery that day because he fit the description of a suspect in a string of burglaries in the neighborhood.

Prosecutors and Arbery’s family dispute that argument, saying the victim was simply jogging 2 miles from his home when the father and son “chased, hunted down and ultimately executed” him with the help of a neighbor, co-defendant William “Roddie” Bryan Jr.

“These men are proud of what they have done,” Arbery’s mother, Wanda Cooper-Jones, told the court on Thursday. “They want to go home because they think in their selfish minds that they are the good guys.”

Surveillance footage shows the victim did go into a vacant construction site before the shooting, but there has been no evidence so far that he ever stole anything from the property and the homeowner said he never asked the McMichaels for any help.

Bryan, who captured part of the incident on his cellphone, was denied bond in July. He’s accused of helping his neighbors chase and ambush Arbery by hitting the victim with his truck moments before the killing.

Bryan also told police in an interview that he overheard Travis McMichael uttering a racial slur as he stood over Arbery’s dead body after shooting him.

Ahmaud Arbery was shot to death in February.

Family members and friends insisted on Thursday that the McMichaels are not racist and felt remorse after the shooting.

“In no way, shape or form is Travis hateful towards any group of people, nor does he look down on anyone based on race, religion or beliefs,” Curt Hall, who was in the Coast Guard with Travis McMichael and described himself as “multiracial," said in a letter read in court Thursday.

The three suspects are charged with malice murder, felony murder, aggravated assault, false imprisonment and criminal attempt to commit false imprisonment.

Thread Information