Thread: Katherine (30) and Tony Butterfield (31) were murdered in the morning hours of 04/18/20 while their 3 young children slept

Katherine (30) and Tony Butterfield (31) were murdered in the morning hours of 04/18/20 while their 3 young children slept

I submitted this one a couple of minutes ago, so it'd be great if a mod added the article link as soon as it's been created. Just can't wait because somehow this one hits hard. 3 young children are orphans now. How could anybody do this?!

West Jordan police ID husband and wife killed in early morning shooting; family releases statement
    By
    Gephardt Daily Staff -
    April 18, 2020

WEST JORDAN, Utah, April 18, 2020 (Gephardt Daily) ? West Jordan police have released the names of a married couple shot to death early Saturday in an altercation with an unknown assailant inside their residence.

The victims are Kathy Butterfield, 30, and Anthony ?Tony? Butterfield, 31. Their three small children were not injured in the attack. The suspect or suspects remain at large.

?Our deepest condolences to their loved ones and those close to them. Investigation continues,? says a tweet from the WJPD. ?We are working hard to solve this terrible crime!?

Sgt. J.C. Holt, West Jordan Police Department, told Gephardt Daily that police arrived shortly after a 1:15 a.m. call to dispatch, in which a neighbor said she heard gunshots and a woman screaming.

Officers responded to the scene, near 7000 South and 3200 West, and knocked on the door, Holt said. When no one answered, police went to the backyard and found Tony Butterfield, deceased. Entering the house, officers found Kathy Butterfield, 30, also dead. Both had been shot.

?There were also three kids inside the home, the oldest age 4, and down to infant,? Holt said. ?They were not injured in any of this.?

The children are now in the care of family members, who ?are fully cooperative and obviously upset, to get that phone call to come get the kids,? Holt said.
    Family statement

Late Saturday afternoon, extended family members released the following statement on the death of Kathy and Anthony Butterfield:

The families of Tony and Katherine C. Butterfield are devastated by the sudden passing of their loved ones. Tony and Katherine were incredible Christ-like, kind, happy, and loving parents, children, siblings and friends. We mourn their loss, but are grateful for the sure knowledge we have that we will be with them again.

We hold no ill-will towards to the perpetrator(s) and pray for them and their families. We are grateful for the immediate and professional work of the West Jordan Police and other investigators, and are confident in their abilities to bring this case to resolution.

We ask for prayers for Tony and Katherine?s three sweet children, as well as for the many, many people who love Tony and Katherine. We are appreciative and overwhelmed with the outpouring of love and support we have received. Thank you.

A GoFundMe account has been established to help provide for the couple?s three young children.

The crime scene

Gephardt Daily was on the scene early Saturday, when police from multiple agencies were securing and searching the area. K-9s were brought in, but no suspect was located.

Police are following leads, but the identity and even the gender of the shooter or shooters has not been confirmed, Holt said.

There are signs an altercation took place prior to the shootings, he said, and the house had been ?gone through.? The motive for the shootings is unknown, Holt said.

There is also evidence the shooter may have been injured with a knife. Police are asking that members of the public who know anything about the crime call dispatch, and even call in about anyone with a fresh knife injury that cannot be explained.

?We believe the suspect left the area in a car, but we don?t have information on that car,? Holt said. ?We are trying to develop suspect information right now.?

Holt said police had not been called to the residence before, and the couple had no criminal history.

?It?s just a horrible case,? Holt said. ?It?s just really awful.?
    source: https://gephardtdaily.com/breaking/w...ses-statement/

Katherine Butterfield: https://www.facebook.com/katherine.crane.96

I can make an article. Just to let you know, I have no idea how the "submit an article" thing works, I don't get any notifications about anything. I think just the admin/owner get the notifications, and they aren't on here much anymore, so feel free to just PM me in the future if you want to.

GFM: https://www.gofundme.com/f/tony-amp-...cp+share-sheet

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2020...young_children
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 04-19-2020 at 07:28 AM.

Husband (Tony Butterfield, 31) and wife (Katherine Butterfield, 30) killed in apparent West Jordan home invasion, family of victims releases statement

https://www.facebook.com/katherine.crane.96

https://www.facebook.com/tony.butterfield.5

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/04/...d-wife-killed/

A husband and wife were killed early Saturday, when someone apparently broke into their West Jordan home and shot them.

West Jordan police spokesman Sgt. J.C. Holt said the family's three children ' the oldest, age 4, and the youngest an infant ' were at the home near 3200 West and 6900 South and were unharmed.

The police identified the couple as Tony and Katherine C. Butterfield, releasing a statement from the family.

'Tony and Katherine were incredible Christ-like, kind, happy, and loving parents, children, siblings and friends. We mourn their loss, but are grateful for the sure knowledge we have that we will be with them again,' said the statement posted on Facebook. "We hold no ill-will towards to the perpetrator(s) and pray for them and their families. We are grateful for the immediate and professional work of the West Jordan Police and other investigators, and are confident in their abilities to bring this case to resolution."

The family statement concluded: 'We ask for prayers for Tony and Katherine's three sweet children, as well as for the many, many people who love Tony and Katherine. We are appreciative and overwhelmed with the outpouring of love and support we have received. Thank you.'

The department said it is working 'hard to bring resolution to this case.'

Police learned about the shooting after a neighbor called around 1:15 a.m., reporting that she heard gun shots and a woman screaming.

When police got to the home, they found Tony Butterfield dead in the backyard, and Katherine dead inside. Both were shot. Holt said it appeared that the suspect had rifled through the home, but he is unsure what may have been taken.

Holt also said it appeared the suspect and Tony Butterfield got into some kind of fight in the backyard, and the assailant may have been injured with a knife.

Last edited by up2trouble; 04-20-2020 at 09:21 AM.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/tony-amp-...-ycfjoZtWxWZs4

Our hearts are broken as we mourn the tragic loss of Tony & Katherine Butterfield and are concerned what comes next for their three surviving children.

In the early hours of Saturday morning, April 18th, an intruder came into their home and despite fighting for their lives, they were brutally shot and killed while their 3 children, ages 4 and under, slept upstairs. While we are so grateful that their children were not harmed, we are devastated at the loss of their loving parents.

Tony & Katherine were young and in love for several years before they both served LDS missions and married shortly after they both returned from their service. They created a beautiful family and a wonderful life for their 3 children; with the most recent addition arriving just 6 months ago.

Katherine was a ray of sunshine with a vibrant smile and a beautiful singing voice; she could light up any room. She was the first to serve and willing to help in any situation. Even during this global pandemic, she had written personal letters to everyone in her family expressing her love for each of them. Katherine loved being a mother, was easy-going, and always made sure her children were generously loved and well-cared for. Motherhood came naturally to her and she never let a memory-in-the-making go to waste. She was fun-loving, cheerful, and enjoyed the little every day moments she was able to create with them.

Tony was a talented craftsman, always with a project up his sleeve. He enjoyed doing renovations on his own home, building tree swings, and sand boxes for his kids. When he wasn’t hard at work, he loved spending time with his family either snowboarding, fishing, camping or doing a backyard bonfire. Tony was always ready with a witty remark that kept everyone laughing.

Tony and Katherine were hard workers and started their own landscaping company from the ground up. They worked together in managing and growing their business and enjoyed working alongside one another to provide for their family.

At this devastatingly difficult time, we sincerely request your generosity in making a donation, in honor of Tony & Katherine’s memory, to aid and support their beautiful little family. We know that there is nothing that we can do to bring back the parents of these dear children, but we earnestly hope that we can provide some measure of assurance and security for their future needs.

As lifelong neighbors and friends of Katherine Crane Butterfield, we have come together to set up this fund for her children.

I combined this with the thread that we already had on this case.

As a mama to children the same age this literally broke my heart💔

I feel like surely there has to be something more than this than a home invasion? To execute two victims while their children slept upstairs, that is pure evil. I guess there were the Cheshire home invasion murders where they sent Mom to the bank then murdered them all but dad managed to escape. But maybe there is more to this... I hope they catch whoever did it.

Quote Originally Posted by highhopes View Post
    As a mama to children the same age this literally broke my heart��

I feel like surely there has to be something more than this than a home invasion? To execute two victims while their children slept upstairs, that is pure evil. I guess there were the Cheshire home invasion murders where they sent Mom to the bank then murdered them all but dad managed to escape. But maybe there is more to this... I hope they catch whoever did it.
    I got the same feeling. I think there is more to the story, a disgruntled employee maybe?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I got the same feeling. I think there is more to the story, a disgruntled employee maybe?
    I always side eye these Mormon families. They seem to have a bunch of skeletons in their closets. My dad's family is Mormon, so I grew up around them some and have seen some strange stuff.

https://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/man...uring-n1189116

A suspect has been named in the deaths of a couple who were gunned down in their West Jordan, Utah home over the weekend.

At a press conference on Monday, West Jordan Police Sergeant J.C. Holt announced they are looking for 31-year-old Albert Enoch Johnson in connection with the killing of Tony and Katherine Butterfield. Johnson is described as being 5-foot-10 and weighing approximately 270 pounds. He may be driving a dark gray 2008 Toyota Corolla with Utah license plate: V46-4MW, police added.

Hours after Monday’s press conference, Johnson’s wife, 29-year-old Sina Johnson, was arrested for allegedly helping her husband escape and charged with obstruction of justice and tampering with evidence, Sgt. Holt confirmed to Dateline.

“Officers developed information that Mrs. Johnson had spoken to Mr. Johnson just prior to and just after the suspected homicide occurred, and that she had been untruthful with officers about his whereabouts and involvement,” Sgt. Holt wrote in an email. “They also determined that she attempted to destroy or discard evidence from the alleged incident.”

According to police, Tony and Katherine Butterfield were gunned down in their suburban home early Sunday morning. Police responded to the scene in West Jordan, a suburb of Salt Lake City around 1:15 a.m., after a neighbor called 911 and reported hearing screams and gunshots coming from the home.

Police found 31-year-old Tony Butterfield in the backyard, dead of an apparent gunshot wound. When officers entered the house, they found the body of 30-year-old Katherine Butterfield just feet away from her husband inside the home. The couple’s three children, aged six months, two and four were found alive upstairs. They were not harmed.

According to Sgt. Holt, officers found evidence at the scene that indicated a possible struggle between the couple and the intruder. They also found evidence of forced entry and it appeared the home had been “rummaged through,” Holt added.

At Monday’s press conference, police released a photo and description of suspect Albert Enoch Johnson. Sergeant Holt told Dateline that Johnson “was known to the Butterfields and we do believe this was not a random crime but an isolated incident.” Police are not elaborating on a motive for the crime or how the couple knew Johnson at this time.

According to police, the Butterfields do not have a criminal history and police do not believe there was any criminal activity going on with them.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 04-21-2020 at 05:28 PM.

I knew they knew the killer!

Maybe he was someone who worked in their house at one point, saw they had some good stuff and decided to rob them?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

We hold no ill-will towards to the perpetrator(s) and pray for them and their families.
    The Butterfield and Crane families are much better people than I. I'd be praying for a long, agonizing death for the perpetrators.

Also, I think they JUST moved into that house on March 31st according to property records. Maybe it's someone connected to the previous owners or someone who bought their old property? It's all just heartbreaking. Keeping the family in my thoughts.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

https://www.abc4.com/news/top-storie...ecognized-him/

A suspect in the murder of a young West Jordan couple told police he shot and killed them because they recognized him after he had robbed them.

Albert Enoch Johnson was charged in 3rd District Court on Wednesday with two counts first-degree aggravated murder, two counts first-degree felony aggravated robbery and two counts first-degree felony aggravated kidnapping in the deaths of Tony and Katherine Butterfield.
    Blood collected at the home led them to their suspect, Johnson, who had been stabbed during the altercation with the Butterfields. Police found a shot gun and cash at his home as well as his clothing he wore the morning of the shootings were found inside a dumpster.

Johnson had fled to California after the murders.

Sergeant J.C. Holt of the West Jordan Police Department said tips led U.S. Marshals to a location in Stockton, California where they took him into custody. Johnson’s booking photo shows him with a swollen right eye and scrapes on his face as result of a struggle with Marshals.

During an interview with police, Johnson admitted to killing the couple, and said he went to their home to rob them because they believed they had money and he was hurting for cash. When he arrived, he covered his face with a mask and kicked in the door.

Johnson further stated he told Tony Butterfield he only wanted money and then left the home with $20.00 and two cell phones. When he got to his car, he took off the mask then realized he had left his keys inside the home. He returned to the home and Tony Butterfield was standing inside of the door and recognized him, documents state.

Johnson said Tony Butterfield then asked him “why?” then started to stab him to prevent him from coming back into the home. Johnson told police the stab wounds hurt so he shot Tony Butterfield. When Katherine Butterfield started screaming, Johnson said he thought he saw a neighbor nearby so he shot her too, according to documents.

Johnson said he got his keys and then fled to his apartment in West Jordan where he changed clothes and left for California.

Police were able to find surveillance footage inside the home of the Butterfields where is showed Johnson enter the upstairs of the home and force the Butterfields downstairs and demanding money.

He escaped with $20 and two cell phones and then realized he left his car keys in the house and had to go back for them. What a moron.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

https://kutv.com/news/local/man-who-...without-parole

A Utah judge imposed a sentence of life-in-prison without the possibility of parole to a man who killed a West Jordan couple during a home-invasion robbery earlier this year.

Albert Enoch Johnson, 31, accepted a plea agreement from prosecutors that let him avoid the potential for the death penalty in exchange for guilty pleas to two counts of aggravated murder.

“He wanted to resolve this case as fast as possible,” Johnson’s attorney, Robin Ljunberg, told the court.
    Anna Rossi, a prosecutor with the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office, told Judge James Blanch that Johnson admitted to breaking into the family’s home to get money from them.

According to police, Johnson said he covered his face, woke up the sleeping family, and forced them to give him what money they had — approximately $20. Johnson then ran out of the house, not realizing he had dropped his keys inside.

When Johnson ran back to the family’s home to retrieve his keys, the couple was armed with knives and confronted him.

ohnson later told detectives that Tony Butterfield recognized him during the fight and uttered "why, Albert? Why?" according to prosecutors. Johnson then fatally shot the Butterfields.

Johnson spoke briefly at his sentencing and apologized for the murders.

“I want to say thank you for praying for me. I am so sorry,” he said.

Johnson also pleaded guilty Thursday to an aggravated robbery case in which he robbed a 7-Eleven in Sandy in 2019.

Johnson’s wife, Sina Johnson, was sentenced to probation in August on a charge of obstruction of justice. Police alleged she misled them about Albert Johnson’s whereabouts after the crime.

This year has been such a drag that I thought this happened a couple years ago. Not 8 months ago.

Thread Information