Thread: Lauren R. Rice (38), and her dog Holiday, were killed when Jason Robert Sassman (49) allegedly drove on the sidewalk and intentionally struck them

Lauren R. Rice (38), and her dog Holiday, were killed when Jason Robert Sassman (49) allegedly drove on the sidewalk and intentionally struck them

https://www.kcci.com/article/police-...-dog/32045376#

The Des Moines Police Department have charged 49-year-old Jason Robert Sassman, of Des Moines, with first-degree murder and animal neglect.

At 8:13 a.m. Sunday, authorities said Sassman was driving a pick-up truck northbound on Beaver Avenue at a high rate of speed. Police said he left the roadway, struck and severed a utility pole and continued driving through residential yards and onto the side walk.

Sassman's truck struck and killed a 38-year-old Des Moines woman and her dog she was walking. Authorities said he attempted to flee the scene but the truck was disabled at Beaver Avenue and Hickman Road.

The Des Moines Police Department took Sassman into custody and continue to investigate. Authorities said that the excessive speed and Sassman intentionally striking the woman were contributing factors to his charges.
    https://www.kcci.com/article/police-...crash/32051866

Police said 38-year-old Lauren R. Rice, of Des Moines, was killed, along with her dog Holiday.

Des Moines Area Community College officials confirmed to KCCI Monday that Rice was an English and Literature Professor on the DMACC Newton Campus and had just returned from London as part of the College?s London Study Abroad program.

Jason Robert Sassman, 49, of Des Moines, is charged with first-degree murder and animal neglect in the case.

The Des Moines Police Department took Sassman into custody. He is being held in the Polk County Jail in lieu of a $1 million cash-only bond.

Did he even know her? Or was this random?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

So sad

Something similar happened local to me, but the woman and dog survived. It's sad when taking your dog for a walk is dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

I got the feeling he was just acting like a fuckhead and they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    https://khak.com/des-moines-professo...n-hit-and-run/

totally senseless act by a nut case

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I got the feeling he was just acting like a fuckhead and they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    https://khak.com/des-moines-professo...n-hit-and-run/

omg hes 49? he looks 80 and like charles manson.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Yeah. I think this was totally random.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...an/5167569002/

A man accused of running over and killing a Des Moines college instructor and her dog earlier this month was using meth and intended his actions, newly released court documents reveal.

Des Moines Area Community College instructor Lauren Rice, 38, was walking her dog Holiday around 8:15 a.m. April 5 when Jason Sassman, 49, fatally struck them in 1700 block of Beaver Avenue, police said.

Sassman intentionally ran Rice over because he believed she was a criminal with a gun about to kill someone at Price Chopper, according to newly released search warrant documents.

Rice was unarmed at the time of her death, police said.

Sassman was traveling a high rate of speed when he left the road and drove over a curb. The truck struck and severed a utility pole, continued through the yards of homes and onto the sidewalk before striking Rice and Holiday, police said.

Sassman attempted to flee on foot but was quickly apprehended by police. He is charged with one count of first-degree murder and one count of animal neglect and is being held at Polk County Jail on a $1 million bond.

Sassman exhibited signs of drug use as detectives interviewed him while in custody, including extreme mood swings and impaired balance and coordination. He "continuously was having conversations with himself about various people believed to be after him or causing some sort of problem with him," Des Moines Police Sgt. Nathan Nemmers wrote in a search warrant application for blood and urine tests for Sassman.

It was later revealed via court documents that Sassman admitted to using methamphetamine and marijuana prior to the crime.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    I knew that meth was involved by looking at him.
    Poor lady, RIP.

Thread Information