Thread: NY's Baby Hope Identified; suspect dies in jail

NY's Baby Hope Identified; suspect dies in jail

https://nypost.com/2020/03/30/torn-f...-hope-mystery/

Artist renderings of four-year-old Anjelica Castillo, dubbed "Baby Hope", whose body was found in a picnic cooler (bottom R) along Henry Hudson Highway in northern Manhattan on July 23, 1991.

Everyone in the city had seen her face — yet for more than two decades, no one knew her name.

The anonymous child, dubbed “Baby Hope” by NYPD detectives, became the subject of a haunting police sketch after her emaciated, naked and battered body was found stuffed in a dirty cooler along with soda cans off the Henry Hudson Parkway in Manhattan in the summer of 1991.

The case shook Gotham to its core and remained unsolved till a stunning breakthrough 22 years later — a fascinating story that is now the subject of the latest installment of the true-crime TV series “TORN FROM THE HEADLINES: NEW YORK POST REPORTS,” which airs at 10 p.m. ET on Monday on the Investigation Discovery channel.

When the child’s body was discovered, even the most hardened city cops couldn’t help being touched by the atrocity of it all. Police Department detectives arranged a proper burial for the murder victim in a Bronx cemetery, erecting a head stone with “Baby Hope’’ etched on it. One of their wives bought a white dress for the little girl to wear in her coffin.

But the years frustratingly came and went without a break in the case.

Then in October 2013, as The Post exclusively reported, a tipster had seen a flier about the case that the cops had re-released on the anniversary of the discovery of Baby Hope’s body — and came forward to say she heard the girl’s sister talk about the child.

“Baby Hope” would soon have a name: Anjelica Castillo.

Anjelica’s sister, now in her 20s, told cops she remembered traveling to Mexico with her father years ago, while her mother and Angelica stayed behind.

Detectives tracked down Angelica’s mom to Washington Heights, where they used a ruse to get her to lick an envelope to get a sample of her DNA to test it against Angelica’s.

It was a match.

The mom claimed to investigators that her then-4-year-old daughter disappeared with her husband in 1991 and that she didn’t go to cops because her spouse was abusive.

But investigators learned that the little girl had been dumped on Queens relatives — including her cousin, Conrado Juarez, a sick 52-year-old Greenwich Village restaurant dishwasher who eventually confessed to trying to rape the little girl and then smothering her when she attempted to scream. Juarez said he stuffed the child’s body in the cooler and tossed it off the side of the highway.

Another of Anjelica’s sisters later told The Post that the sketch of her tragic sibling was the spitting image of herself as a child.

“I wish I would have gotten the chance to meet her,’’ said the sister, Laurencita “Lorena” Ramirez, 27.

In an emotional ceremony at St. Raymond’s Cemetery in The Bronx in November 2013, an inscription was etched under “Baby Hope’’ on the child’s headstone: “Identified in 2013 as Anjelica Castillo.’’

But the solving of the case didn’t bring much joy to former lead Detective Jerry Giorgio, who had retired before it was closed.

“She was better off dead, I’m sorry to say,’’ he told The Post, noting the tortured life that Angelica had lived in her four short years on Earth.

Juarez ended up becoming sick and dying in jail in November 2018 while awaiting trial, a police source told The Post at the time.

Man accused of killing ‘Baby Hope’ dies after becoming ill in jail

https://nypost.com/2018/11/19/man-ac...g-ill-in-jail/

The man accused of killing “Baby Hope” — the toddler victim in a murder mystery that transfixed New Yorkers for more than two decades — died on Monday, a high-ranking police source told The Post.

Conrado Juarez died in a hospital in Rockland County after falling ill in jail, the source said.

Juarez allegedly sodomized and killed his 4-year-old cousin Anjelica Castillo, who was first dubbed Baby Hope because her identity was not known for years after her body was found in 1991.

Prior to his death, Juarez was being held in protective custody in the Rockland County Jail while awaiting trial for the murder, the police source said. His cause of death was not immediately known, but an autopsy was pending.

Prosecutors say Juarez, a dishwasher from the Bronx, confessed in 2013 to sexually assaulting Castillo and smothering her with a pillow in the hallway of his sister’s Astoria home in 1991.

He told police that he and his sister then placed the toddler’s body in a cooler and dumped it in a wooded area off the Henry Hudson Parkway in Upper Manhattan.

The child’s remains were found in the cooler in July 1991, leading to numerous media reports at the time about the discovery.

Detectives working the case eventually named her Baby Hope in an effort to draw attention to the case. An anonymous tip led investigators to the girl’s mother in 2013 — and eventually to Juarez.

After Juarez’s arrest, Baby Hope’s sister — an adult woman living in Brooklyn — told The Post the murder had traumatized her for decades.

“It’s very painful. I have no joy right now,” Laurencita Ramirez said. “I think about [Anjelica Castillo] all the time, and I wish I would have gotten the chance to meet her. She’s the sister I never met.”

I had just moved from la to nyc when this happened I will never forget it. I remember shedding tears watching the funeral. Very very sad.

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by S281Saleen160 View Post
    I had just moved from la to nyc when this happened I will never forget it. I remember shedding tears watching the funeral. Very very sad.
    And all these mfers out there on the webz think we're all just a bunch of goddamn death junkies and freaks.

No, we're reaaaalll people, with families, and feelings, and everything.

Ugh. Why I could never be a police officer, volume I
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    And all these mfers out there on the webz think we're all just a bunch of goddamn death junkies and freaks.

No, we're reaaaalll people, with families, and feelings, and everything.

Ugh. Why I could never be a police officer, volume I
    To be honest I am kind of a freak bcz I lack empathy for others, however, anything to do with old people or children touches my heart. But I def remember Baby Hope and what happened to her and how it made me feel.

Thread Information