Thread: Husband and wife, Merle (86) and Dee Tofte (85), died five hours apart after contracting COVID-19

Husband and wife, Merle (86) and Dee Tofte (85), died five hours apart after contracting COVID-19

Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-18-2022 at 06:20 PM.

Elderly Washington state couple (Merle Tofte, 86), (Dee Tofte, 85) die of coronavirus 5 hours apart

https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/elderl...5-hours-apart/

An elderly married couple in Washington state died of coronavirus only five hours apart ? and hospital staff allowed the heartbroken family to say goodbye over FaceTime, according to a local report.

Merle Tofte, 86, and Dee Tofte, 85, of Vancouver, died March 16 at Peacehealth Southwest Medical Center, KATU reported.

The pair was together with family ? including their five children ? less than a month ago to celebrate Dee?s 85th birthday, daughter Michelle Taylor told the outlet.

But just two weeks later, both Merle and Dee ? suffering from difficulty breathing, a cough and a fever ? were hospitalized and tested positive for the deadly bug.

Neither traveled or even went out much so it?s unclear how they got sick.

Family members were not allowed to visit the pair in the hospital ? but staff set up a FaceTime call before both succumbed to the illness.

?It?s heartbreaking,? Taylor told the outlet.

?The staff [at Peacehealth Southwest Medical Center] was amazing. They did something I will be forever grateful for. They set up a FaceTime call with my parents, each in a different room, with a chaplain with their grandchildren and children so we could all say goodbye to them. We will all be forever grateful for that.?

Both were laid to rest Wednesday and the family couldn?t be there.

?I understand it, I do, because everyone has to make sacrifices right now. But this is a huge one for us,? Taylor said. ?But it?s OK, it?s the right thing to do. We will have a celebration of life later.?

Taylor was ordered to self-isolate after being in close contact with her elderly parents. The quarantine was lifted Thursday.

?I can?t be with my loved ones,? she posted to Facebook Monday.

?I can?t comfort my children whom have lost their grandparents. I can?t hold a service for my parents or attend their burial. Funeral homes are closed. It is believed they contracted COVID-19 through community spread. I wanted time and privacy to grieve but if their story can save a life, it needs to be told.?

What a cute couple, RIP.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    It's so unfair
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

These deaths are local to me. Every post about them says the same thing: that they were wonderful, giving people.

It's so sad.

It also terrifies me as my parents are in the same age bracket and are 2500 miles away to boot. Ugh, this virus sucks. I'm in the process of making them a family tree art piece for their 60th wedding anniversary in June to try to keep busy.
    Last edited by nestlequikie; 04-01-2020 at 01:05 AM.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Thread Information