Thread: Sasha Marie Krause (27) was kidnapped and murdered

Don't drink sanitizer! raisedbywolves's Avatar

Sasha Marie Krause (27) was kidnapped and murdered

https://www.daily-times.com/story/ne...ty/4868331002/

An autopsy has confirmed that the woman found dead in northern Arizona on Feb. 21 is 27-year-old Farmington resident Sasha Marie Krause. Investigators say she was kidnapped and murdered.

The San Juan County and Coconino County sheriff's offices, along with federal authorities, have transitioned the investigation into a kidnapping and murder case as they work to identify and apprehend the individual responsible for the crimes, according to San Juan County Sheriff Shane Ferrari.

Ferrari announced on the morning of Feb. 25 in a Facebook video that the remains of a woman found north of Flagstaff, Arizona were Krause after an autopsy was performed on Feb. 24.

A Coconino County Sheriff's Office press release issued on Feb. 25 stated fingerprints collected at the scene were matched with the Texas Motor Vehicle Department?s driver's license records to confirm her identity around 8 p.m. on Feb. 24.

The Coconino County Sheriff's Office in Arizona released information on Feb. 24 that a woman matching the general description of Krause was found on Feb. 21 in the area between Wupatki National Monument and Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument, north of Flagstaff.

Her body was transported to the Medical Examiner's office in Flagstaff on the night of Feb. 21.

Krause had been missing since the night of Jan. 18. San Juan County deputies were dispatched in the early hours of Jan. 19 to the Lamp & Light Publishers on County Road 5577 in the Crouch Mesa area on reports of a missing woman.

Ferrari said with the limited information at the scene of her disappearance it was difficult to determine if Krause was voluntarily missing or if the agency was conducting a kidnapping investigation
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/sasha-...red-police-say

A body found in Arizona has been identified as a Mennonite woman who vanished more than a month ago, and police say she was kidnapped and murdered.

When Sasha Krause went missing Jan. 18 from her hometown of Farmington, New Mexico, the San Juan County sheriff?s office described the disappearance as ?suspicious.?

But even though Krause?s car was found in the parking lot of the Farmington Mennonite Church, investigators were not sure then if she left of her own volition or had been abducted.

Members of the church, however, were sure it was foul play.

?We were convinced from the start that it was an abduction because we are a close-knit community. We know our people. We knew her integrity,? Samuel Coon, an editor at Lamp & Light Publishers, where Krause worked, told The Daily Beast.

?Sasha was a person of deep integrity, very level-headed. There is no one I would have less expected this to happen to,? he said.

Repeated aerial and canine searches turned up no trace of the 27-year-old, and a $50,000 reward offered by a police foundation did not yield any credible tips.

Then, over the weekend, the New Mexico authorities were notified that a camper found a body matching Krause?s description near Sunset Crater National Monument outside Flagstaff, Arizona. An autopsy completed Monday made a positive identification; no cause of death was released.

?Our investigation now transitions to a criminal investigation... in trying to identify and apprehend the individual responsible for Sasha?s kidnap and murder? the sheriff said, adding that federal authorities were joining the probe.

Krause grew up in Grandview, Texas, the eldest of seven children. She was a bookworm who loved teaching herself new things. She learned Spanish on her own and volunteered to go to New Mexico to work for the publishing company, which distributes Bible correspondence courses in foreign languages.

?She was loving it. She?d found her niche in life,? her father, Robert Krause, told The Daily Beast.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...an-27-n1190701

A U.S. Air Force member was arrested at his base in Arizona on Tuesday in the murder of a Mennonite woman who disappeared from her New Mexico home at the end of January, authorities said Wednesday.

Mark Gooch, 21, an airman first class, was arrested at Luke Air Force Base in Glendale and booked at the Maricopa County Jail on charges of premeditated first-degree murder, first-degree murder during the commission of a crime, kidnapping and theft in connection with the disappearance and death of Sasha Marie Krause, according to the San Juan County Sheriff's Office in New Mexico.

Krause, 27, was last seen leaving her Crouch Mesa, New Mexico, home at 8 p.m. on Jan. 18. Her body was discovered in Coconino County, Arizona, more than 270 miles away, about a month later.

San Juan County Sheriff Shane Ferrari said the case was peculiar from the start because Krause disappeared from a "very secluded" Mennonite community that revolved around a church and a bookstore.
    "The Sheriff of Coconino County and I are committed to making sure that Mark Gooch receives a max sentence for these horrible crimes, and yes, Arizona still has the death penalty," Ferrari said in a video statement. "We have the right person responsible for this horrendous crime."

A statement from the Coconino County Sheriff’s Office said its investigation determined "during the time Sasha Krause went missing, Gooch had traveled from Luke Air Force Base, where he lives, to Farmington, New Mexico," and "further investigation placed Gooch near Sunset Crater in Coconino County where Krause’s body was located."

I thought Mennonites didn't drive cars?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    I thought Mennonites didn't drive cars?
    You're thinking of the Amish. Mennonites live in the world... https://www.differencebetween.com/di...vs-mennonites/
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    You're thinking of the Amish. Mennonites live in the world... https://www.differencebetween.com/di...vs-mennonites/
    I guess I thought neither did. I used to watch Return to Amish on TLC. One of the girls was Mennonite and her life seemed super similar to Amish, but that is the only place I got my info on them.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    I guess I thought neither did. I used to watch Return to Amish on TLC. One of the girls was Mennonite and her life seemed super similar to Amish, but that is the only place I got my info on them.
    No very different lifestyles. Similar religious beliefs but most Mennonites are in the world. And then there are the the Hutterites... who are a whole nother story.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...se/5279584002/

In a forest clearing outside Flagstaff, Sasha Krause was found cold and stiff, with a bullet wound to the back of her head. She was face down beneath brush, wearing a gray dress, white coat and hiking shoes. Her hair was pinned in a bun and her hands bound by duct tape. Her underwear was missing.
    Sheriff’s officials used cellphone records to link Gooch to Krause, but his attorney Matthew Springer said that doesn’t mean his client is a killer. Gooch is jailed without bond.

When authorities first questioned Gooch at the base, he said he thought it was about driving his motorcycle too fast. Coconino County sheriff's Detective Lauren Jones asked him about his recent travel, his family history and church. At the end of the 75-minute interview, she asked pointedly: “Did you abduct Sasha Krause?”

“No, ma’am,” Gooch responded.

“Did you kill Sasha Krause?”

“No, ma’am,” he said again.

The records hint at disdain for the Mennonite community by Gooch and at least two of his brothers. He never became part of the church, a process that involves a period of study, a commitment to be a follower of Jesus, and baptism usually in teenage years.

Gooch said he felt like an outsider because his family wasn’t born into the religion. He once told a friend that he found life on his family’s organic dairy farm depressing and wanted to live like other people. His older brother, Sam Gooch, told investigators his brother holds a grudge against the Mennonite community over perceived mistreatment, but he didn’t elaborate.

Mark Gooch acknowledged traveling to Farmington, New Mexico, on Jan. 18, when Krause was reported missing. He said he had time for a long drive.
    He said he went to the Mennonite church on the outskirts of town where the words “Lamp + Light” are spelled out in painted white rocks on the side of a mesa — a nod to the publishing ministry where Krause worked. He said he wanted to attend a service because he missed the fellowship of Mennonites. But he hadn’t checked to learn when services would be held and instead hurried back to the base to meet a friend the next day.

Detectives say there were inconsistencies in Gooch’s story. Cellphone records indicate he was around the church for a couple of hours and in the forest outside Flagstaff after midnight. Surveillance video at the base showed his car returned about 7 a.m. the day after he left. Gooch said he thought it was no later than 2 a.m.

A receipt showed Gooch had his car detailed a day after authorities announced a body had been found in the forest. In addition, Gooch’s phone was the only device that communicated with the same towers as Krause’s phone before her signal dropped off west of Farmington, prosecutors said.

Authorities aren't sure yet whether the .22-caliber bullet believed to have killed Krause was fired from a rifle that belonged to Gooch. Results also are pending on DNA from under Krause’s fingernails and on her neck.

Gooch was assigned to Luke Air Force Base in October and worked in equipment maintenance. Base officials wouldn't say whether he's ever faced disciplinary action.
    The case has entangled other members of Gooch’s family. Sam Gooch was arrested last month after authorities said they suspected he flew to Arizona to pick up the rifle used in the killing. He was released on bond and hasn’t been charged.

Sam Gooch said the family left a Mennonite church in Wisconsin around 2015. As the siblings grew older, some went separate ways but kept in touch through occasional phone calls and text messages.

In one text exchange in mid-April, brother Jacob Gooch, a state trooper in Virginia, told Mark and Sam he gave a Mennonite a ticket and coughed on the driver “so he would spread Corona to the wedding they were going too. lol.” The other brothers encouraged the behavior, according to the messages.

Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said the text exchange is part of an internal investigation into Jacob Gooch, who was placed on administrate leave May 8 as part of a separate criminal investigation. She declined to discuss details but said the probe is unrelated to the death of Krause.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...e-arizona.html

A Coconino County Superior Court judge has set the murder case of Sasha Krause, a 27-year-old Sunday school teacher, for a trial in August of 2021.

Mark Gooch, the U.S. Air Force airman who has pleaded not guilty to murdering Krause, was in virtual attendance for the Thursday hearing. Attorneys agreed to the August trial date, showing that no plea agreement had been reached at this point. Gooch was originally indicted by a grand jury for first-degree murder after he was arrested from Luke Air Force Base in May.

Gooch is being held on a $2 million cash-only bond for first-degree murder.

The airman is now being represented by Flagstaff attorney Bruce Griffin after swapping with former attorney Matthew Springer. Prosecutor Ammon Barker said on Thursday he planned to rely upon "complicated" expert testimony for their case, so the trial is set to last for three weeks.
    An autopsy showed that Krause died due to a combination of blunt-force trauma and a gunshot wound. Authorities accused Gooch of committing the murder in this case relying on an assortment of video, receipt and cell phone record evidence. Prosecutors say they can place him in both the Farmington community and the area where the body was found during the time window Krause went missing.

Thread Information