Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Foods you miss

Foods you miss

I thought this might be a fun thread to post about foods you miss-whether it's ones from your childhood that or no longer sold, or just ones you can't get anymore because they're only sold regionally.

I haven't been able to find Kraft Spaghetti Classics Tangy dinner, something I used to love as a kid, in the store for YEARS. Then I recently found out that I could get them on Amazon subscribe and save and I am happy!

Something I have been looking for, that I am pretty sure have been totally discontinued, are the Carnation breakfast bars. The new style they came out with a few years ago aren't the same as the ones they had out in the 80's and 90's.

(I found out while looking for a picture of them that a LOT of other people miss them too.)

I also miss the regional fast food restaurant Taco Villa. I love their hot sauce!

The "Yumbo" Burger Kings ham and cheese sand. It was sold from 68-74 and it was wonderful. They've brought things they called a Yumbo to market several time since but none are nearly as good...
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

20 years ago Wendy’s sold Pita’s and they were amazing. My favorite was the Caesar salad one. Me and my BF at the time would eat them everyday.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    The "Yumbo" Burger Kings ham and cheese sand. It was sold from 68-74 and it was wonderful. They've brought things they called a Yumbo to market several time since but none are nearly as good...
    I was going to say that when I first worked at BK when I was 16 they had a ham and cheese sandwich, and it was good. It wasn't called Yumbo though.

Does anyone else remember Burger Buddies from Burger King? The store I worked at was a test market store, so we got a lot of things that were never released to the mainstream market. Those things were really good, but I don't think they made the mainstream cut.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I was going to say that when I first worked at BK when I was 16 they had a ham and cheese sandwich, and it was good. It wasn't called Yumbo though.
    Yeah this was close to what Hardees sells now, but less, um gooey. I loved it. Just ham and cheese, no veggies no sauce. The BK broiler was good too, and each new version of a chicken sandwich is less good. Sad.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Yeah this was close to what Hardees sells now, but less, um gooey. I loved it. Just ham and cheese, no veggies no sauce. The BK broiler was good too, and each new version of a chicken sandwich is less good. Sad.
    YES! I loved the original oatmeal bun they had for the broiler. The chicken itself was so much better than the chicken they have now too...not sure why the chicken would be different, but it is.

YES! I loved the original oatmeal bun they had for the broiler. The chicken itself was so much better than the chicken they have now too...not sure why the chicken would be different, but it is.
    Yes that was a good bun. I think it's all in the marinade for the chicken flavor.

Things I miss:
    Starbucks - Andes mint brownie, lemon ale (no there was no alcohol in it), Valencia orange refresher, blended lemonade
    Burger King - salad with grilled shrimp
    Kinley bitter lemon - I'm not sure if the World of Coke still has the drink in their sampling room, but I know for a fact that you can no longer get it in Europe.
    European Kinder eggs - Apparently the U.S.A. thinks the European version is a choking hazard.
    Japanese honeydew sorbet - When I was growing up in Japan, we had these honeydew melon sorbets that were in little containers that were shaped like honeydew melons. I went to Japan in 2017 and could not find them.
    Also, I miss Japanese Coca-Cola. You unscrewed the cap and it made a funny popping sound. I jumped the first time it popped.

There's several more I know that I've missed, but I need to go to bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Even though I don't eat much fast food anymore, I miss the 39 cent cheeseburgers McDonald's had on Sundays....they had 29 cent hamburgers on Wednesdays but I gotta have cheese lol.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Even though I don't eat much fast food anymore, I miss the 39 cent cheeseburgers McDonald's had on Sundays....they had 29 cent hamburgers on Wednesdays but I gotta have cheese lol.
    How old are you, 78???

How old are you, 78???
    Lassy, I remember when a 20 oz. bottle of Coca-Cola was $1.00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

My aunt Ethels gumbo

How old are you, 78???
    Lassy, I remember when a 20 oz. bottle of Coca-Cola was $1.00.
    I also remember the prices Nic is quoting, and when Coca Cola was so cheap, but Nic is a young-un, so I am just giving her crap. I know I am older than both of you. It hasn't been that cheap since she was like 5

How old are you, 78???
    LOL. Hey, those were special prices for those certain days! I think I was like 12 then...I should google it to see when they did that.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Kool Aid in a large can that required you to use one of those can openers that punch a triangle in to the top lol. Something about it being stored in metal made it taste better. Probably more in my head than reality, but it just seemed better that way
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Does anyone remember the BBQ chicken sandwich, or the orchard chicken salad sandwich, from Subway? They were sooooo good! I used to get them all the time at the Subway across from my work about 10 years ago, and then they discontinued them.

Jack in the Box tacos. I have an app on my phone that identifies the closest JB. Right now, the nearest Jack is 472 miles away. Cue the sad music...
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by S281Saleen160 View Post
    My aunt Ethels gumbo
    Is Aunt Ethel gone? Did anyone think to get the recipe? Mom and Dad made a book of all our family recipes and gave them to all of us kids for Christmas one year. Best gift ever.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Is Aunt Ethel gone? Did anyone think to get the recipe? Mom and Dad made a book of all our family recipes and gave them to all of us kids for Christmas one year. Best gift ever.
    Yeah she's dead. Several people in the fam have the recipe but when they make it it still isn't as good as hers. She had that special touch! We can't make her gumbo or her baked mac n cheese. She also made the best sweet potato pies, everyone says the ones I make are just as good as hers....so I got one thing right.

Quote Originally Posted by S281Saleen160 View Post
    Yeah she's dead. Several people in the fam have the recipe but when they make it it still isn't as good as hers. She had that special touch! We can't make her gumbo or her baked mac n cheese. She also made the best sweet potato pies, everyone says the ones I make are just as good as hers....so I got one thing right.
    I definitely understand this. My Nana's gnocchi and sauce was legendary.

My Paw Paw's rice and gravy and my Maw Maw's homemade hot tamales. Everyone in my family has tried to replicate the rice and gravy but no one can. I'm still convinced it was his homegrown peppers that he canned. That recipe died with him.

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

Does anyone remember Shakey's Pizza?

Thread Information