Thread: Carol Kiparsky (77) & Ian Irwin (72) missing from their airbnb rental in Inverness, CA since 2/13/2020

Carol Kiparsky (77) & Ian Irwin (72) missing from their airbnb rental in Inverness, CA since 2/13/2020

Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-17-2022 at 11:08 AM.

WOW-

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...found-n1140976

Two academics in their 70s who vanished from California cottage are found alive

A pair of academics in their 70s who disappeared from a Northern California rental cottage more than a week ago have been found alive, authorities said.

The Marin County Sheriff's Department said Saturday that it was beginning a rescue operation to extract Carol Kiparsky, 77, and Ian Irwin, 72, from where they have been trapped.

Exact details of what happened to the Palo Alto couple were not immediately available.
    Irwin is a leading Parkinson’s disease researcher, according to the Marin Independent Journal. Kiparsky is a prominent linguist and author of several books on language.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    WOW-

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...found-n1140976

Two academics in their 70s who vanished from California cottage are found alive
    Yay!! I'm so happy to read this!!! This was such an odd case.

I can't wait to hear the details of what happened with them!
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Great news! Hopefully they didn't suffer any permanent damage while they were missing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Excellent news! Getting lost was one of my guesses

California couple in their 70s saved in 'miracle rescue' after missing for 8 days

A California couple who went missing while on a Valentine's Day hike has been found alive, and their rescue is being called a "miracle."

Carol Kiparsky, 77, and her husband, Ian Irwin, 72, were found on Saturday, February 22 near Tomales Bay in Northern California, a week after they disappeared while staying in a nearby rental cottage.

The couple was conscious but dehydrated when rescue crews discovered them in thick underbrush. They had been able to survive by drinking the puddle water surrounding them.

Sgt. Brenton Schneider told reporters, ?This is a miracle.?

Described as ?avid hikers,? Kiparsky and Irwin frequented the area north of Point Reyes National Seashore and were familiar with the local hiking trails. They had gone out on Valentine?s Day to see the sunset but found themselves in trouble when the light changed and they lost their way. They tried to find a path that would lead them back to the road but ended up in a thicket.

?It got dark and they took a wrong turn and they found themselves in trouble," said Jon Kiparsky, one of the couple's sons.

?My mother said ?Oh, I lost a shoe and so I was walking with one shoe and then I lost the other shoe and then I kept walking in my socks,?? he added.

The couple was missing for a total of eight days without jackets. During the nights, the temperatures in that area can dip below the 30s, a dangerous scenario for the couple. Irwin also suffered from scratches after lying down on the rough terrain to help his wife.

Authorities became concerned when the couple did not check out of their cottage the weekend of February 15. Over the course of the eight days that they were missing, search and rescue efforts involved hundreds.

Rescuers heard the pair yelling for help on Saturday morning. Crews had to crawl on their stomachs, according to Schneider, in order to reach the couple in the thick of the brush.

"They were like, 'Thank god you found us, we?re so happy,'" said rescuer Quincy Webster.

The couple is expected to leave the hospital today after suffering from minor scratches.

The family of the couple is thankful for the search and rescue crews and everyone who shared their support throughout the recovery effort.

Sons of missing Palo Alto couple found alive in Marin County speak out

MARIN, Calif. (KGO) -- Palo Alto couple Carol Kiparsky and Ian Irwin went missing for eight days after going on a Valentine's Day hike together in the Inverness area. Sons Jon Kiparsky and Jonas Irwin spoke out about the incredible news they received Saturday morning that they were found alive.

"I got the text that said they found them alive," Kiparsky said. "I suddenly switched from thinking about how I was going to wrap up an estate to thinking about how I was going to get to Inverness- and how fast I could get there."

Stepbrother Jonas said this entire situation has brought the family together. "The way as a family we've all been on a roller coaster. I don't wish this on my worst enemy because you go into a state of twilight zone," Irwin said.

Both Carol and Ian drank from a puddle for water and ate plants to sustain themselves.

"His mom is like an herbalist, mushroom hunter, my dad with his background in mountaineering, they know how to like find things and eat. They were eating some part of a fern," Irwin said.

77-year-old Carol was found with no shoes. "My mother said, 'you know I lost a shoe so I was walking with one shoe and then I lost the other shoe and I kept walking and then I walked in my socks and then I got tired of walking in my socks so then I was walking bare feet for a while.' And I'm just- you're 77 years-old," Irwin said.

The Marin County Sheriff's Office tweeted a photo of the couple recovering at Marin Health. Both of them could be seen with scrapes and bruises, but holding thumbs up and appearing in good spirits.

Irwin said they're just now hearing of how the married couple helped each other.

"He was laying his body flat into that awful thorny crap, which poison oak, you name it, so that Carol could go over him," Irwin said. "That's chivalry, like I hope that's still alive."

On behalf of the family, they want to thank Sgt. Brenton Schneider from the Marin County Sheriff's Office and Michael St. John who lead the rescue teams, and the hundreds of volunteers that spent their personal time searching in rough terrain.

"30 of them got poison oak just grinding through the thicket as Jonathan called it," Irwin said. "To find people they don't even know and ultimately did and we're just overwhelmed."

"Everyone who was thinking about them who was searching for them, who has reached out to me and my family about them -- thank you," Irwin said.

The couple is expected to be released from the hospital sometime Sunday.

Thread Information