Thread: Levi Norwood (17) allegedly killed his mom, Jen (34), and brother, Wyatt (6), and then shot and injured his father and went on the run

Levi Norwood (17) allegedly killed his mom, Jen (34), and brother, Wyatt (6), and then shot and injured his father and went on the run

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...olice-n1137391

A Virginia father came home on Valentine's Day to find his wife and 6-year-old son dead, and was then shot at by his teen son, authorities said.

Police are now engaging in an intensive search for 17-year-old Levi Norwood in connection to the killings at the family home in the Midland area of Fauquier County, about 53 miles southwest of Washington, D.C.

The teen is considered to be armed and dangerous, the Fauquier County Sheriff's Office said on Saturday.

The father, Joshua Norwood, 37, discovered the bodies of his wife, Jen, 34, and son, Wyatt, 6, on Friday evening at around 6 p.m. He told responding officers to the shooting that his teen son injured him after firing several shots at him, authorities said.

Joshua Norwood was taken to an emergency room and is in stable condition, Sheriff Bob Moser said at a press conference Saturday.

The sheriff's office urged residents to shelter in place with "a very large law enforcement presence" in the community due to the search for Norwood. Police from Culpeper and Fairfax counties and the Virginia State Police are also involved in the search.

Norwood was described as a white male with short, purple hair and brown eyes.

The sheriff?s office said they have not been able to determine the kind of weapon used in the double homicide Saturday afternoon. However, a vehicle was reported stolen overnight, and authorities said they "believed this stolen vehicle is connected to the Norwood homicide."

As the sun set on Valentine?s Day, Josh Norwood hurried from work to the grocery store to buy his wife flowers. The 37-year-old father of two pulled into his long driveway in rural Virginia a few minutes before 6 p.m. ? just in time for dinner.

But as he walked up to the brick home in Fauquier County, bouquet in hand, Norwood sensed something was wrong, he said in an interview with The Washington Post. Beneath the Christmas lights that still dangled from the eaves, the curtains were drawn. And when he opened the door, his effervescent 6-year-old, Wyatt, was not there to greet him.

Instead, he was met by gunfire.

A bullet that seemed to come from the basement door sliced across his forehead. As blood poured down his face, Norwood said, he ran into the small ranch house to search for his family. The lights were on in the room belonging to his older son, Levi, but there was no sign of the 17-year-old. In the living room, there was what looked like a large pile of blankets on the floor.

When he pulled back the blanket, he found his wife, Jen, 34, facedown in a pool of blood.

Underneath another blanket on the love seat was the small body of Wyatt.

?No, this isn?t real,? Norwood recalled screaming.

He said he fired his own gun, which he carries with him, at the basement, then ran out of the house and flagged down a passing driver, who called 911.

It was another day before he learned where his older son was.

On Saturday, Levi was charged with two counts of murder by the Fauquier County Sheriff?s Department, setting off a manhunt for the 5-foot-9-inch, 125-pound teen. The Liberty High School junior had fled the family?s house on foot, authorities said, before stealing a car and driving 200 miles south. He was trying to shoplift hair dye ? to disguise his purple-tinted locks, authorities said ? at a store in Durham, N.C., when police there arrested him.

As he grieves for his wife and first-grader, Norwood also wrestles with anger toward his elder child, whom he now refers to only as ?the one who took them away.?

Norwood said Levi had been ?a little depressed? recently, enough that the family had scheduled a doctor?s appointment for him Monday ? three days after the shooting. But Norwood said that he was raised in a ?loving home? and that there had been no ?red flags? surrounding his recent behavior.

With no clear motive named in the family tragedy, Norwood has also had to defend himself against accusations of racism that some suspect played a role.

Four classmates told The Post that Levi described his father as racist. A Facebook page belonging to Norwood is adorned with a notorious white supremacist motto known as the ?14 words?: ?We must secure the existence of our race, and a future for white children.?

A close relative said Norwood was upset that Levi was dating a black girl.

Norwood denies being a white supremacist. He posted the motto in 2014 but said it was ?nothing that I believe or stand for.?

He said he and his wife had pressured Levi to stop seeing his girlfriend shortly before the shootings because the relationship was ?bringing him down,? not because she was black.

The girl, who attends the same school as Levi, did not respond to requests for comment. Her parents declined to comment.

The allegations of racism have only added to his pain, Norwood said.

?You don?t know how to feel,? he said. ?All you have are just questions of why and how. How your little boy grew up to do something like that.?
    'A regular family'

They met in a pet store in Maine. Josh Norwood was a teenager behind the counter when Jen Overlock walked in.

?I was a snake guy,? he recalled. ?She came in and asked about ferrets, and I said, ?Wow, I liked that.? ?

They started dating. And a year later, Norwood proposed to her at a Pantera concert. When they married in 2002, Jen was only 16. Her mother had to give consent, the relative said.

When the couple had their first child a year later, they named him after their favorite pet: a large snake called Leviathan.

?It was a strong name,? Norwood said. ?Something unusual.?

To most people, the quiet boy with dark brown eyes was simply known as Levi.

When he was about 6 years old, the family moved to Virginia so that Norwood could manage a reptile shop. Wyatt was born a few years later ? the spitting image of his older brother.

Jen loved being a mother, Norwood said. Her Facebook page ? with ?proud mom? in the url ? was filled with American flags, photos of her sons and fundraisers for their schools.

?She was very protective of both our boys,? Norwood said. ?Our boys grew up in a loving household. We told them we loved them every day.?

Norwood taught Levi to fish and hunt. He also took the teen to the gun range to practice his marksmanship.

?We were a regular family,? he said, adding that he and Levi had recently started teaching Wyatt to shoot as well.

Friends at Liberty High in Bealeton described Levi as quiet but funny and engaging with those he knew well. But they also said a shadow hung over him: his family?s alleged racism.

Terrell Smith said he had been close with Levi for years but had never met his parents ? something Smith, 17, attributed to the fact that he is African American. Levi had told him that his family wasn?t welcoming toward anyone who wasn?t white.

Levi was friendly and accepting of all kinds of kids, said Jerry Hernandez, 16, another classmate. That?s why it surprised him when Levi would make comments about his family?s intolerance.

?He used to talk about how his father was a racist,? said Jerry, who met Levi in the seventh grade. He said Levi lamented being unable to bring certain friends around his father because they were black.

The close relative supported their claims.

Josh and Jen were ?really prejudiced, as much as I hate to say this,? said the relative, who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear she would upset the family.

?When Leviathan was just 3 years old, [Josh] used to say the n-word all the time,? the relative recalled.

His Facebook cover page quotes David Lane?s ?14 words,? which the Southern Poverty Law Center describes as ?the best-known slogan of the U.S. white supremacist movement.? Lane, founder of a group called the Order, died in prison after a conviction in the killing of a Jewish radio host in 1984.

?I don?t even remember why I put it [up],? Norwood said of the post, which remained online as of Wednesday. ?Maybe I was having a bad day.?

According to his friends, Levi?s relationship with his girlfriend made him happier than he had been in a long time. But they also wondered how the interracial relationship would play with his parents.

Both were against his dating a black girl, the relative said, but his father was ?adamant? about the issue. ?He didn?t want Leviathan having anything to do with her.?

Norwood insisted his opposition to the relationship had nothing to do with race.

?I don?t care about that,? he said. ?The only thing I told him was, ?Levi, this girl has a few issues, she?s working through some stuff, and you guys don?t need to bring each other down. You don?t need people, who need help and support, to feed off of each other and cause you to get worse.? ?

Norwood said that Levi was not on antidepressants or other medication, but that his grades had begun to suffer. His parents had recently taken away Levi?s cellphone when the teenager ?lied? to them, Norwood said, about studying after school when he was actually with his girlfriend.

The teenagers documented their deepening feelings for each other on Instagram, while also hinting at the hurdles they faced.

?I hate it when bad/sad things happen to my Bubby,? the girl wrote on Jan. 2 next to a drawing of a black girl comforting a white boy. ?I would just love to take every ach and pain his heart and mind has to endure. Holding him tight as I say everything is gonna eventually be better then now.?

Norwood hasn?t been back to the brick house on Elk Run Road. The last sight of it was his wife?s flowers in the entryway, surrounded by his blood.

His relatives who went there over the weekend described his favorite meal of chopped chicken breast uncooked on the stove; a Valentine?s present for Wyatt ? his beloved Mr. Potato Head from ?Toy Story? ? still unwrapped; and a bullet through his wife?s lizard tank.

This is what the shooting has left him: a house he can?t live in, a double funeral scheduled for Sunday and criminal proceedings against a son whose name he can no longer bear to say.

Levi is expected to be returned in the coming days to Virginia, where he faces arraignment on the two murder charges in juvenile court, according to Sgt. James Hartman, a spokesman for the Fauquier County Sheriff?s Department. Scott Hook, Fauquier?s commonwealth?s attorney, will decide whether to leave the case in juvenile court or seek to try him as an adult.

Whatever the outcome, the shooting has left Norwood shattered emotionally and wounded physically, with a gash from the bullet above his eye.

?Every day for the rest of my life,? he said, ?I?m going to wake up, look in the mirror, and I?m going to have a scar down my face, my head, as a memory of the worst day of my life, when my family got taken away.?

Norwood said he doesn?t know how his son would have gotten a gun. He always kept the family?s firearms in a double-locked safe to which the teenager didn?t have access, he said.

cont.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...74f_story.html
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

--cont.

The previous Sunday, the two of them had taken a drive to Richmond so his son could clock the hours behind the wheel he needed to get his license.

?He was great,? Norwood said. ?We were laughing.?

And on the morning of the shooting, his wife texted him that Levi and Wyatt were curled up together before the school bus came.

That evening, Norwood would find the boy?s body in the same spot, allegedly slain by the brother who?d cuddled with him hours earlier.

Norwood could not fathom who his son had become. ?He?s not the same person,? he said.

The rest of the family is also struggling to understand what happened.

Ginny Norwood, Josh?s mother, wrote on Facebook that she had spoken to Wyatt that morning. The 6-year-old was excited because his mother was coming to school to have lunch with him. He asked his grandma whether she could come, too. Next time, she promised.

?We are all devastated,? she wrote. ?Josh has lost his entire family. Levi?s life is ?gone.? ?

Despite the murder charges against her grandson, Ginny Norwood said she was praying for him.

?I love Levi still but am so confused,? she wrote. ?We are all empty pray for us.?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...74f_story.html

Va. judge closes hearing for teen accused of killing mother and 6-year-old brother

The 17-year-old boy accused of killing his mother and 6-year-old brother at their rural Virginia home on Valentine?s Day made his first court appearance in a Fauquier County court on Monday at a hearing closed to the public.

Levi Norwood, a junior at Liberty High School in Bealeton, faces two counts of murder in the shooting deaths of Jennifer Norwood, 34, and first-grader Wyatt Norwood. He also allegedly wounded his 37-year-old father, Josh Norwood, who was sitting in the courtroom Monday.

Fauquier County?s commonwealth?s attorney, Scott Hook, and Levi Norwood?s defense attorney, Ryan Ruzic, jointly asked the judge to close the proceedings to the public.

Ruzic argued that Norwood is a juvenile and that media coverage could spoil jury selection. The public defender also said the hearing was ?not a matter for public consumption.?

The Washington Post had filed a motion earlier in the day citing Virginia law that states ?hearings held on a petition or warrant alleging that a juvenile fourteen years of age or older committed an offense which would be a felony if committed by an adult shall be open.?

After listening to Ruzic?s argument, Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court Judge Melissa Cupp, who presides over juvenile cases, ordered several reporters out of the hearing, citing the need to protect jury selection and the privacy of a youth.

Levi Norwood entered the courtroom with purple hair and wearing beige pants, a gray long-sleeve shirt and white sneakers. He was returned to Virginia from Durham, N.C., where he was apprehended at a Target by police and accused of shoplifting hair dye, clothes and a backpack.

He found his wife and 6-year-old dead on Valentine?s Day. His teen son is accused of the crime.

Law enforcement authorities and his father have given a chilling account of what transpired Feb. 14. They say that after Norwood fatally shot his mother and brother, he put their bodies under blankets in the living room of their brick home and then waited for the arrival of his father. Once his father opened the door about 6 p.m., they say, Norwood fired a shot from the basement that wounded his dad in the head.

The father, who carries a weapon, said he fired a shot in return. Then he managed to escape the house, flagging down a driver who called 911. Deputies with the Fauquier County Sheriff?s Office surrounded their home on Elk Run Road in Midland but did not enter the house until shortly after 10 p.m. because they assumed the son had barricaded himself inside.

By then, authorities said, Norwood had walked 10 miles and stolen a Toyota Camry. After being captured in North Carolina, Norwood was extradited to Virginia over the weekend and taken to a juvenile detention center.

In the aftermath of the killings, the father has had to defend himself from accusations that he is a racist who opposed his son?s romantic relationship with a black girl. Josh Norwood?s Facebook cover photo features David Lane?s ?14 words,? a well-known white supremacist maxim arguing that ?We must secure the existence of our race, and a future for white children.? The Southern Poverty Law Center says Lane, who died in prison, established a terrorist group called the Order, which was responsible for the murder of a Jewish radio host in 1984.

In an interview with The Post last week, Josh Norwood said that he had forgotten why he posted Lane?s quotes and that he is not a white supremacist. He also insisted he didn?t care about the race of his son?s girlfriend.

The girl did not return messages from The Post last week, and her parents declined to comment.

A close relative of Josh Norwood told The Post that the father was upset his son was dating a black girl. And four classmates told The Post that Levi Norwood described his father as racist.

At the end of the hearing, Ruzic declined to answer questions. Hook, the prosecutor, could not be found for comment after the hearing. It isn?t clear whether he will seek to try Levi Norwood as an adult

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...470_story.html
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Thread Information