Thread: Francisco Sanchez-Reyes (73) died after getting beat by his hospital roommate while he was being treated for a UTI

Francisco Sanchez-Reyes (73) died after getting beat by his hospital roommate while he was being treated for a UTI

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...olice-n1135106

A 73-year-old man died Sunday, more than a week after he was beaten by a patient he was sharing a hospital room with in Long Beach, California, police say.

Francisco Sanchez-Reyes sustained major injuries to his upper torso on Jan. 31 after he was assaulted by Reginald Daniel Panthier, Long Beach police said.

Sanchez-Reyes died of his injuries Sunday morning.

Sanchez-Reyes, of Long Beach, had been taken to Memorial Medical Center in critical condition after the beating. Panthier, 37, also of Long Beach, was arrested Friday. Police said the arrest and the assault occurred at the same location, which, according to a booking log, was the address of College Medical Center. The hospital did not return a request for comment Tuesday.

Sanchez-Reyes initially went to the hospital Jan. 31 because he had a urinary tract infection, according to a GoFundMe campaign set up by Ramon Sanchez, his son.

Sanchez-Reyes was a father of eight and grandfather of 24, according to NBC Los Angeles and City News Service of Los Angeles.
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/francisco...l-and-memorial

From the GFM:
    One week ago my dad went to this hospital because he had a UTI which he had in the past. The hospital wanted to keep him overnight to do some tests to rule out ulcers. He was hospitalized Friday morning at 5:30 am on January 31st and fully alert and with an expectation to return home possibly the next day!

At 12:15 pm the same day, my sister called me to tell me to rush to Memorial Medical Center in Long Beach where he was transferred there and when I got there she told me the horrible news! I was not expected to hear of what had happened. A patient that was sharing my dad's room (37-year-old man) attacked and beat up my dad so bad that when the nurse when into check on him the nurse found him in the floor bleeding to death. When she asked what happened the attacker confessed that he gave my dad a beating (which he is now in custody). The detectives are working this case are the ones that told us this. We still don't know, to this day, what was the reason for this individual to beat up, my father.

The neurosurgeons at the hospital said that they needed to run more ct scans before they could perform any surgeries and then he ended up in a coma the next day they basically said that our dad had multiple and extensive bleeding throughout his brain and they couldn't save him, so a week later he passed away!

Our hearts are broken as he left us unexpectedly!

He was my first teacher, coach, and mentor, he came here from Mexico to give us more opportunity and a better life. He was the one that taught me about work ethic, respect and being a good human being. Love for God and to get along with others.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 02-12-2020 at 08:35 AM.

It's so awful. I don't know what dumb ass came up with the idea of rooming with a total stranger during a bad time in your life anyway. When I had my first baby my roommate had about twenty visitors, while my doctor and nurse discussed how they expect my ass hole to heal. Can you imagine? There was only a curtain.

Quote Originally Posted by terps1990 View Post
    It's so awful. I don't know what dumb ass came up with the idea of rooming with a total stranger during a bad time in your life anyway. When I had my first baby my roommate had about twenty visitors, while my doctor and nurse discussed how they expect my ass hole to heal. Can you imagine? There was only a curtain.
    I've never shared a room while in the hospital, but it seems like a bad idea for privacy as you mentioned, and because of cross infection.

I want to know what supposedly set this guy off.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I've never shared a room while in the hospital, but it seems like a bad idea for privacy as you mentioned, and because of cross infection.

I want to know what supposedly set this guy off.
    Me too! It probably is nothing but there was a young guy and an older guy. I would think they had nothing in common anyway and the young guy snapped about something as ridiculous as snoring or he was using the bathroom for too long. A wack job. Ya know?

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    I want to know why that little maggot dicked sack of shit got into it with a 73 year old?

Seriously, given their names, I would not at all be surprised if this were a hate crime.

Why? Because white men are the dumbest fucking assholes in the world.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Now go fuck yourself.

https://www.presstelegram.com/2020/0...abuse-charges/

A 37-year-old man, identified as a transient living in Long Beach, pleaded not guilty Thursday to a murder charge stemming from the beating death of a hospital roommate last week, authorities said.

Reginald Daniel Panthier faces felony counts of murder, elder abuse resulting in death, elder abuse with infliction of injury and assault by means of force likely to produce great bodily injury for allegedly assaulting 73-year-old Francisco Sanchez-Reyes at College Medical Center on Jan. 31.

Panthier, who was arrested shortly after police arrived on suspicion of assaulting the victim, pleaded not guilty to the charges in Long Beach Superior Court Thursday, Feb. 13, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said.

Why Panthier allegedly attacked Sanchez-Reyes was still unknown. Both men shared the same hospital room at College Medical Center on the day of the attack.

Sanchez-Reyes had eight children, 24 grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren, his son Ramon Sanchez said Monday, adding that his father had come to Southern California from Mexico to give his family a better life.

Panthier faces 50 years to life in prison if convicted as charged.

Thread Information