Thread: Fatalities confirmed, and several still missing, after fire consumed at least 35 boats docked on the Tennessee River

Fatalities confirmed, and several still missing, after fire consumed at least 35 boats docked on the Tennessee River

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...st-35-n1123726

Authorities in Alabama are searching for seven people missing after a deadly fire consumed at least 35 boats docked along the Tennessee River.

?We have some confirmed fatalities, but we don't have an exact number yet,? Jackson County Chief Sheriff's Deputy Rocky Harnen told The Associated Press. ?We have several people who were taken to the hospital from being in the water, and some had minor burns."

Scottsboro Fire Chief Gene Necklaus said earlier that seven people were hospitalized and seven others were missing as the fire destroyed at least 35 boats docked in Jackson County Park.

Harnen said officials are trying to account for about seven people who had places on the dock.

"They had slips here," Harnen said. ?That doesn't mean they're in the water and it doesn't mean they're dead. We're making attempts to find them.?

Crews were called to the fire at about 12:30 a.m. on Monday. The chief said most of the vessels were houseboats.

The Jackson County Emergency Management Agency says firefighting and rescue operations have been taking place on land and in the water. m

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-boat-n1124816

It could take up to six months before identities of all eight people killed in a massive Alabama marina fire can be learned, authorities said Tuesday.

Investigators will need to use DNA and dental records to conclusively identify some of the people who died Monday on houseboats docked at Jackson County Park, along the Tennessee River, in Scottsboro, Alabama, about 100 miles northeast of Birmingham and 40 miles east of Huntsville, officials said.

"That identification process is going to take potentially a great deal of time," Scottsboro Fire Chief Gene Necklaus told reporters. "That could take up to six months, unfortunately. Unfortunate for everybody, but particularly for the families."

In total, 35 boats were destroyed in Monday's blaze.

"I'm not comfortable releasing names and ages until we have absolute certainly," the fire chief said.

Officials believe they have recovered remains on all eight victims, but dive teams were still at work on Tuesday just to make sure.

Alabama boat dock fire victims: A mother, 5 kids and a woman who died saving others

By Leada Gore | lgore@al.com and Howard Koplowitz | hkoplowitz@al.com

Victims of Monday's deadly Scottsboro boat fire include a mother and her five children, family members have confirmed.

Another of the eight victims was leading special needs children to safety when she perished in the tragedy, according to her family.

Officials have said it could be a week or even several months before the identities of the victims of the deadly fire at the Jackson County Park in Scottsboro could be confirmed.

However, family members of those who died in the fire are sharing their stories of that tragic early morning fire that destroyed some 35 boats and sent people jumping into the icy water for safety.

Annette Miles, 40, and children Zane Long, 19, Bryli Long, 16, Traydon Miles, 10, Kesston Miles, 9, and Dezli Miles, 7, were among the eight people killed, according to family members. The father, Joe Miles, was rescued from the water with burns.

Kayla Wormsley, Joe's sister-in-law, confirmed the identities in an interview with News Channel 9 in Chattanooga, Tenn. Jackson County Coroner John Jordan has not released the names but confirmed four of the victims were minors ages 7, 9, 10 and 16.

Wormsley has established a GoFundMe to support the family.

"The vessel the family was on became engulfed in flames after an attempt to escape, and their father, Joe Miles was rescued from the water with burns. He has lost his home, everything he owns, everything was replaceable, except for his family," Wormsley wrote.

Donations can be made at First Southern State Bank in Higdon, Alabama or via GoFundMe.

Efforts by AL.com to reach Wormsley for comment were not immediately successful.

Another of the victims in Monday's fatal fire was leading special needs children to safety when she perished in the tragedy, according to her family.

Amanda Garrard, of Oak Grove, Mississippi, was one of eight victims killed in the fire. She was in the area for vacation, her family said.

"[I] was told she was trying to help gets some special needs kids off and didn't make it herself," her stepmother, Clara Garrard, said on her Facebook page Tuesday. "The guy she was with survived and told me the story."

It was not immediately clear Tuesday if the children Garrard had been trying to rescue were the same five children killed in the fire.

Amanda Garrard's step-sister, Monica Pascale Howard, shared a message on her Facebook page as her family deals with the grief.

"Please don't go to bed angry at your loved one, please say, 'I love you' every chance you get, and please, please remember to pray and thank God every day that you wake up and have your family beside you," Howard wrote. "So, RIP Amanda, my sister.. I DO love you... I'll see you again one day!!! Go rest high on that mountain sissy, I bet heaven is beautiful."

Clara Garrard and Monica Pascale Howard could not be reached by AL.com.

Amanda Garrard sent her last Facebook post -- an image -- just minutes before the early morning fire.

"Always help someone," the text read. "You might be the only one who does."

"And you did,?" replied Monica Pascale Howard, adding three heart emojis.

https://www.al.com/news/2020/01/alab...ng-others.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nestlequikie; 01-28-2020 at 07:17 PM.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Thread Information