Page 51 of 78 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1942

Thread: COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Yeah it seems like it's crazy here. I was listening to my morning show and they were comparing getting an appointment to getting tickets online. Like, you see an available appt, click it and by the time you hit continue, the appt is gone. Sounds insane.
    That's the way it is here too. A lot of people that got 1st shots now can't get 2nd shots.

https://pix11.com/news/coronavirus/i...investigating/

A video of a man who refused to wear a mask in a Home Depot is under investigation by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, a spokesperson said Monday.

In the video, the man argued with several Home Depot workers over the company?s mask policies. The unidentified man claimed to be exempt from wearing a mask, but became irate when workers refused to offer customer service and cited company policy.

A manager told him he could be in the store, but workers did not have to interact with him because he was not wearing a mask, the video shows.

While arguing with employees, the man claimed to work for the Port Authority.

?What did I do wrong? What did I do wrong? Do you know that I work for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, right?? the man said.

It?s unclear when and where the video was taken, but the man claimed to live in Florida.

The situation eventually escalated with the man screaming, ?I?m a superspreader? several times before leaving the store.

A spokesperson said the Port Authority is looking into whether the man is actually associated with the agency.

?We mandate that all our employees adhere to wearing masks and other safety protocols in all our facilities. We expect that all employees follow all state and local mandates with respect to mask wearing and other safety measures,? the spokesperson told PIX11 in a statement Monday. ?We are looking into whether his claim of being associated with the Port Authority is true, in which case we will take appropriate action.?

Home Depot did not immediately return a request for comment on the video.

So how does he live in Florida but work for the Port Authority? I think he just wanted to try to bully the workers.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    So how does he live in Florida but work for the Port Authority? I think he just wanted to try to bully the workers.
    Umm Ex-Port Authority staff member from Florida bullying Home Depot employees to violate state orders to wear masks in New Jersey. Or fake cop.

https://fox40.com/news/california-co...san-francisco/

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) — An Uber driver with close to 6,000 rides under his belt and an excellent rating with the ride-sharing company is now thinking about never picking up another passenger.

Video of a recent altercation that happened after he picked up three passengers in San Francisco has gone viral.

“Yeah it was something I could have never imagined,” said the driver, who does not want his identity revealed.

He said the incident happened Sunday afternoon after he picked up three women in San Francisco’s Bayview District. After they got in the car, things started going wrong when the subject of wearing a mask came up.

“The moment I asked for the mask, they asked me if I have a spare one. To which I replied, ‘I don’t have it,’ and then the lady on the video who pulled the mask on, tried to snatch my phone. She started all this. She started cursing me for not having a mask,” he said.

In the video, you see that same passenger coughing near his face.

“It was all happening so fast. I just wanted to get over with it,” the driver said.

Californians encouraged to ‘double mask’ to better protect from coronavirus spread
    He says the tumultuous ride lasted around 10 minutes.

Before the women got out of his car, they sprayed something in his vehicle.

“One lady in red pepper-sprayed probably for three or four seconds,” he said. “Yeah that was definitely pepper spray. I know! Then I realized, ‘This is too much. I need to contact police.’”

San Francisco police confirmed receiving the report and said their robbery division is investigating the incident. KRON has asked Uber for comment but did not immediately receive a response.

The incident has caused the driver to have second thoughts about continuing his relationship with the ride-sharing service.

“I’m not really sure with continuing with Uber or doing another job or anything like that,” he said.

Shortly after the incident, Lyft tweeted that they would be permanently banning the rider who refused to wear her mask.

“Although this incident did not involve the Lyft platform, the unacceptable treatment of the driver in this video compelled us to permanently remove the rider from the Lyft community. Driving in a pandemic is not easy. Please wear a mask, respect one another, and be a good person,” the ride-hailing service said.

If this truly happened like this I hope they nail their asses. It's not like they won't know who they are.

https://www.wesh.com/article/florida...ering/35799885

After expanding eligibility to age 55, Florida plans to open vaccinations to all

So I got excited when I saw this headline, then I read the story. It's progress, but not quite there yet. It's got to drop to 55 first and there's no timetable for that, THEN it will open. At least it's something though.

Has anyone else heard of people refusing to get the J&J vaccine? I've talked to 2 people this week that have said they will refuse the J&J vaccine and not get one rather than take the "inferior" vaccine. One is someone who has ignored all social distance warnings and got together in large groups all last year, which is greatly ironic. Not me, I will take whatever I can get. People do realize that it was tested against the variants when it efficacy was calculated, and the others weren't at the time their efficacy was calculated, right? Plus, the J&J efficacy goes up as time goes on. I will take whichever one is available, but I am beginning to think that I might be able to get the J&J sooner because people are being vaccine snobs.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 06-28-2021 at 12:42 PM.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...uture-n1260706

Biden directs states to make all adults eligible for Covid vaccinations by May 1

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/12/astr...lot-fears.html

LONDON — The coronavirus vaccine developed by AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford has now been suspended in a number of countries across Europe and Asia, following reports of blood clots in some vaccinated people. Many other nations, however, have defended their use of the shot and said they will continue their respective inoculation campaigns.

Thailand on Friday became the first Asian country to halt the use of the jab over safety concerns, shortly after Denmark announced a two-week pause to its nationwide rollout after reports of blood clots and one death.

In a setback to Europe’s ailing vaccination campaign, seven other countries have also suspended the use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca shot: Norway, Iceland, Bulgaria, Luxembourg, Estonia, Lithuania, and Latvia.

Austria and Italy, meanwhile, have said that they will stop using certain batches of the vaccine as a precautionary measure.

Europe’s drug regulator, the European Medicines Agency, stressed on Thursday that there was no indication the shot was causing blood clots, adding it believes the vaccine’s benefits “continue to outweigh its risks.”

The EMA acknowledged some member states had paused the use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca shot but said inoculations may continue to be administered while an investigation of blood clot cases is ongoing.

As of Wednesday, around 5 million people in Europe had received the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine. Of this figure, 30 cases of so-called “thromboembolic events” have been reported. These cases refer to blood clots forming in the blood vessels and blocking blood flow.

AstraZeneca has said the vaccine has been studied extensively during Phase 3 trials and peer-reviewed data confirms the shot is “generally well tolerated.”

Why are countries pausing vaccination campaigns?
    Thailand’s health ministry on Friday announced it would temporarily postpone the use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, reportedly describing the shot as a “good vaccine” but one it wishes to suspend for safety investigations.

Kiattiphum Wongjit, permanent secretary for the Public Health Ministry, said the Southeast Asian country was able to pause its vaccination campaign because it had largely brought a second wave of Covid cases under control through quarantines and border controls, according to Reuters.

The country of nearly 70 million people has so far recorded around 26,600 cases and 85 deaths, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

Thailand’s decision to suspend its planned rollout of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, which had been due to begin on Friday, came after the decision by the Danish Health Authority.

“It is important to emphasize that we have not opted out of the AstraZeneca vaccine, but that we are putting it on hold,” Soren Brostrom, director of the National Board of Health in Denmark, said on Thursday.

“There is good evidence that the vaccine is both safe and effective. But both we and the Danish Medicines Agency have to react to reports of possible serious side effects, both from Denmark and other European countries.”

Many high-income countries have chosen to continue the rollout of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine in the wake of safety concerns.

The U.K., France, Australia, Canada and Mexico are among some of the nations that have sought to reassure citizens about the benefits of getting the vaccine and have said they will continue their respective inoculation campaigns.

What do the experts say?
    The EMA’s safety committee is reviewing the issue, but has said there is currently no evidence the vaccination had caused blood clots — noting they are not listed as side effects of this vaccine.

Europe’s drug regulator also noted that the data available so far showed that the number of blood clots in vaccinated people is no higher than that seen among the general population.

“Reports of blood clots received so far are not greater than the number that would have occurred naturally in the vaccinated population,” said Dr. Phil Bryan, vaccines safety lead at Britain’s Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory.

“The safety of the public will always come first. We are keeping this issue under close review but available evidence does not confirm that the vaccine is the cause. People should still go and get their COVID-19 vaccine when asked to do so,” Bryan said.

Stephen Evans, professor of pharmacoepidemiology at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, said: “The problem with spontaneous reports of suspected adverse reactions to a vaccine are the enormous difficulty of distinguishing a causal effect from a coincidence.”

“This is especially true when we know that Covid-19 disease is very strongly associated with blood clotting and there have been hundreds if not many thousands of deaths caused by blood clotting as a result of Covid-19 disease. The first thing to do is to be absolutely certain that the clots did not have some other cause, including Covid-19,” Evans added.

How does the vaccine work?
    The Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is a shot designed to prevent the coronavirus in people aged 18 and older. It is made up of an adenovirus that has been modified to contain the gene for making a protein from SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19.

The most common side effects of the shot, which does not contain the virus and cannot cause Covid, are typically mild or moderate and improve within a few days of vaccination.

Late-stage clinical trials found the AstraZeneca-Oxford shot to have an average efficacy of 70% in protecting against the virus.

A more recent study by Oxford researchers found that the Covid vaccine was 76% effective at preventing symptomatic infection for three months after a single dose, and that the efficacy rate actually rose with a longer interval between the first and second doses.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/05/detr...aboolainternal

Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan rejected an initial allotment of the single-shot Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine this week, according to the Michigan state health department.

At a press briefing Thursday, Duggan confirmed he declined this week’s allocation of J&J vaccines from the state, citing sufficient supply of Pfizer and Moderna vaccines to cover demand from eligible residents.

“Johnson & Johnson is a very good vaccine. Moderna and Pfizer are the best. And I am going to do everything I can to make sure that residents of the city of Detroit get the best,” Duggan said at a press briefing Thursday.

The FDA on Saturday authorized J&J’s Covid-19 vaccine for emergency use, making it the third shot to be approved for distribution in the U.S. and the only vaccine that requires just one dose.

Clinical trial data shows J&J’s vaccine is 66% effective overall at protecting against Covid, compared with about 95% for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. While some have raised concern over the J&J vaccine’s lower efficacy rate, the J&J vaccine has proven to prevent 100% of virus-related hospitalizations and deaths, according to its clinical trial data.

“All of the vaccines are safe and effective and I recommend that all vaccines be offered in all communities,” Dr. Joneigh Khaldun, Michigan’s chief medical executive, said in a statement to CNBC.

“Also, the Johnson and Johnson vaccine was studied in a more recent time period with more easily transmitted variants, so I would not recommend comparing the studies with Pfizer and Moderna directly to the studies on Johnson and Johnson,” Khaldun said.

At a Friday press briefing, White House senior Covid advisor Andy Slavitt said Duggan’s comments on the J&J vaccine were misunderstood.

“We have been in constant dialogue with Mayor Duggan. ... He is very eager for the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. And I think we would reiterate the message that for all of us, the very first vaccine we can take makes absolute sense to take,” Slavitt said.

Dr. Gottlieb: Need to provide reasonable path for activity reintroduction
    In a statement later on Friday, Duggan reiterated the efficacy of the J&J shot at preventing Covid-related hospitalization and death.

“The only reason we chose to not accept the first shipment of Johnson & Johnson was that we had enough capacity with Moderna and Pfizer to handle the 29,000 first and second dose appointments scheduled for the coming week, which already put us very close to our capacity at our current locations,” Duggan said in a statement Friday.

The J&J allocation that Duggan rejected comprised 6,200 doses, which were distributed to other local health departments in Michigan, according to state health department spokesperson Bob Wheaton.

Wheaton said the state does not expect to receive more J&J vaccines “for another couple of weeks.”

Duggan said the city will open a new vaccination site for J&J shots when demand from eligible residents exceeds its supply of Moderna and Pfizer’s doses.

“We always intended to distribute Johnson & Johnson once the demand warranted it and we had our distribution plan in place so we can make it just as accessible to our residents as we have Moderna and Pfizer,” Duggan said in the Friday statement. “By the time the next J&J shipment arrives, we will have our plan in place to make it available.”

If this truly happened like this I hope they nail their asses. It's not like they won't know who they are.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-wear-n1260914
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/sta...alth-measures/

Although, to my knowledge, no government entity or employer has actually mandated COVID-19 vaccination, legislation is pending in several states to head off any such attempts. Some of these bills attack mitigation measures like mask wearing as well, or provide religious and other exemptions to COVID-19 immunization. Other, more sweeping, bills tie the hands of public health officials with overly-broad measures going well beyond the current pandemic and exhibiting little regard to what the future may bring.

The vast majority of bills, almost to the point of exclusivity, are sponsored by Republican legislators. As is true of bills weakening or eliminating school immunization requirements, anti-vaccination organizations like the Alliance for Natural Health, which assiduously protects your right to be bamboozled by fringe medical practitioners and their nostrums, are busy lobbying state legislatures to make sure vaccination mandates and the like never see the light of day, or at least permit generous exemptions.

While I don’t believe broad COVID-19 mandates are warranted in our current circumstances, too many of these bills attack sensible public health measures like mask wearing or ban mandates in situations where they may be appropriate, like long-term care facilities. Bills broadly handicapping public health officials without thinking through the consequences are downright dangerous.

Before we get to the pending legislation, let’s look briefly at how current federal law addresses state and private employer mandates. The FDA allows administration of the three COVID-19 vaccines currently available in the U.S. under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) issued for each. Per the federal law allowing the FDA to issue EUAs, the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services must specify whether individuals may refuse the vaccine and the consequences for that refusal. Here, the FDA has made clear that anyone may refuse a COVID-19 vaccination and requires that this information be disclosed to the public. According to a recent JAMA Viewpoint article by public health and health law experts, “mandating COVID-19 vaccines under an EUA is legally and ethically problematic”.

However, at the end of last year, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission issued pandemic-related Q&As that “favor a voluntary vaccination approach, but do not expressly prohibit a mandatory policy with appropriate ‘outs’ for disability and religious accommodations.” As best I can tell, the advice was not limited to vaccines with full FDA approval.

Where employees are unionized, a collective bargaining agreement could require bargaining over the implementation of a mandate, or even consent-based vaccination, to avoid violating federal labor laws.

In sum, federal law does not require vaccination of anyone but apparently does not prohibit private-sector employers from mandating employee vaccinations. (Please note: this is an SBM post, not legal advice. Consult a lawyer if you have questions.)

With that, let’s turn to the pending state bills. As noted in my previous post on school vaccination legislation, different states have different abbreviations for legislation. To simply things (for me), I’m going to use whatever combination of letters and numbers the particular state uses with a link to the legislature’s website, where you can find all the details.

Hog-tying public health
    Legislators in several states have introduced bills curtailing the authority of health officials to implement mitigation measures in a public health emergency. These take various forms, some disallowing vaccination mandates altogether, others adding that anyone refusing voluntary vaccination in an emergency cannot be quarantined or isolated, while others still create exemptions to vaccination mandates. Some bills are directed only at COVID-19; others cover all immunization mandates. The titles of, and language used in, several bills give us a hint as to their sponsors’ ideological leanings.

Maryland HB 17, the “Consent of the Governed Act”, is an especially ham-fisted and poorly drafted reaction to the state’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic. Current Maryland law allows the Governor to declare a state of emergency and to issue orders to mitigate that emergency, such as Gov. Larry Hogan’s orders restricting restaurant capacity, mandating mask-wearing, and similar measures.

No matter the emergency or its circumstances, HB 17 limits the duration of any state of emergency to 14 days, with a 14-day extension if approved by a two-thirds majority of the General Assembly, which must convene within 3 days of the order. Oddly, an emergency order cannot apply at all to state legislators or judges and the Governor cannot “threaten or arrest” legislators or judges for violation of an emergency order.

The Governor cannot require

any member of the public to remain indoors, wear a face covering, not congregate or assemble, close or limit capacity of a business, church, or school, or interfere with the right to obtain and try any medical treatment desired for any illness . . . or receive a vaccine or be forced under penalty of law to make any other health decision.

Private citizens would have the right to sue to enforce this proposed law and could get an injunction and treble damages (and attorneys’ fees and costs) if they can prove the emergency order is “unreasonable as applied” to them.

A similar effort to gut public health measures during emergencies is underway in Missouri. HB 1144 tracks the language of a “Right to Refuse” Model Act promoted by the “National Health Freedom Action” organization. As I described in a post last September, this group and its associates spread vaccine and COVID-19 misinformation and support laws shielding quacks, allowing the sale of unpasteurized milk, and otherwise protecting pseudoscience and those who benefit from its commodification.

HB 1144’s sweeping provisions handicap both the state government and individual business owners who try to institute protective measures such as mask wearing and building capacity limitations, giving everyone the right to refuse such measures and imposing absurd conditions on their implementation. For example, a shop owner who wants customers to wear a mask must read aloud portions of the law granting the right to refuse this and other mitigation attempts to each potential customer, give them a written copy of the law, and get a written acknowledgement of its receipt.

In South Carolina, HB 3217 allows anyone to refuse a vaccination offered as “part of any mass immunization project to protect against infectious disease, or to prevent the spread of a pandemic or a contagious or possibly contagious disease”. HB 3511 goes even further, providing that anyone who refuses a vaccination in such circumstances “may not be denied any right or privilege of citizenship”, which is defined to include “shopping”.

In another sweeping measure, South Carolina HB 3526 transfers the authority to declare a state of emergency from the Governor to the state legislature and removes “public health emergency” altogether (and well as other events) from the list of circumstances permitting an emergency declaration. Declared public health emergencies would still be allowed in some circumstances but the power to mitigate them is reduced. For example, an infectious agent, chemical agent, or the like, posing “a substantial risk” of “widespread illness” would no longer be a sufficient reason for a public health emergency, which would be limited to risks of “a significant number of human fatalities” or “a serious economic impact to the agricultural sector, including food supply”. The authority to temporarily isolate or quarantine anyone is completely removed and a court order required.

In North Dakota, HB 1320, which was, fortunately, soundly defeated, would have banned any state vaccination mandate, in any circumstances, and prohibited “making receipt of a vaccine a condition for entry, education, employment, or services”, presumably pre-empting school vaccination mandates along with the rest. It was strongly opposed by school officials and the science-based health community and supported by a North Dakota “health freedom” organization and two chiropractors, among others.

In Oklahoma, a similar bill (SB 223), provides that any state entity, including school districts, cannot “through direct or indirect means, compel or coerce any person . . . to receive any immunization”, seemingly eliminating all school vaccination requirements as well. Likewise, Oklahoma SB 352 prevents any state entity or from compelling or coercing anyone “to undergo any unwanted medical procedure”, including immunizations and face mask wearing, with persons violating the proposed law subject to misdemeanor conviction. (Private employers are specifically excepted.)

In what appears to be an attempt to cover any and all situations that could possibly arrive, Idaho HB 63, prohibits any state or local law or order that mandates “vaccination, immunization, genetic modulation, or inoculation” (or, as the bill refers to it, “forced or coerced vaccination”) in “any state of disaster or emergency or any proclaimed state of extreme emergency, insurrection, or martial law” and prohibits quarantining or isolation of those who refuse vaccination. (I had to look up “genetic modulation“. The science is beyond me but I am curious as to how it would come into play in an insurrection and such.)

Puzz, did your Mom and her caretaker have any issues with side effects after their 2nd shot? I keep hearing this on the news, but everyone I know that has had both has done just fine.

Puzz, did your Mom and her caretaker have any issues with side effects after their 2nd shot? I keep hearing this on the news, but everyone I know that has had both has done just fine.
    Mom complained that she was a little achy and tired, but she's going to be 83 in a couple of months so, this is not unusual for her, even on a good day. Of the other 3 people I interact with who've finished their shots, two spiked fevers in the 103 range for a couple of hours. One of them had a runny nose for a day or so, the other had a mild headache, not as bad as she had after the first shot, she also had a skin reaction where she got the shot, but she always has problems with that, with the flu and shingles shots, etc. The third person felt poorly enough that she took the day off to nap, but nothing more than just blehhh.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

https://abc7.com/woman-resists-offic...ocol/10414153/

. GALVESTON, Texas -- Just a day after Texas rolled back COVID-19 restrictions, including those mandating face coverings in public, a woman's arrest has emerged stemming from her refusal to wear a mask.

Body camera footage released by Galveston police shows officers confronting the woman inside a Bank of America branch.

The footage, recorded on Thursday, begins with an officer being directed by a bank manager to the woman. The officer encounters the woman who expresses frustration over being told to wear a mask, invoking the state's lifted mandate.

However, the officer is heard reminding the woman that businesses can refuse service to anyone that does not comply with masking policies, which is something that Gov. Greg Abbott still allowed.

After the woman said she wants to take her money out from the bank, the officer tells her to go get a mask and come back to do so.

With the woman giving pushback, the officer says, "Ma'am, listen, we can do this the easy way or the hard way."

What are you going to do? Arrest me?" she asks. "That's hilarious."

The confrontation escalates with the woman raising her voice at other bank customers, and that's when it becomes physical.

The woman is taken down to the ground and arrested.

Police identified the woman as 65-year-old Terry White, who was arrested on a charge of resisting arrest and criminal trespass. Officers added she sustained minor injuries and was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.
    In an interview Friday with KTRK-TV, White said she traveled to Galveston in an RV to cross off items off her bucket list. She was at the bank to close her account and the Central City location was the only one that was open to her.

She said she would have preferred to go through a drive-thru but couldn't with her RV. Still, she says, she's glad she stood her ground, adding that she is "very opposed" to masks and doesn't believe in the pandemic.

"I won't wear that diaper on my face!" she told KTRK.

White's arrest came a day after Texas officially lifted mandates statewide over virus prevention protocols. In lifting those mandates, Abbott put controls over protections back in the hands of individual businesses, but reminded Texans that personal responsibility is key with the coronavirus still rampant.

Legally, individual businesses are allowed to set their own safety protocols against the coronavirus, and, like in White's case, can refuse service to patrons who don't abide by policy.

KTRK has reached out to Bank of America for comment on the arrest.

The Governor of Texas should be blamed for this stuff.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/11/polit...ine/index.html

Trump, estranged from Presidents Club, excluded from predecessors' PSA

(CNN)When President Donald Trump received his Covid-19 vaccine at the White House in January, it was not recorded by official photographers or videographers, according to a person familiar with the matter, who said it wasn't clear there was any photographic documentation of the moment.

That alone would have made it difficult for Trump to be included in the public service announcement of all living former presidents and their wives receiving vaccine shots.

Discussions about Trump being involved in the spot never gained traction given his estrangement from the Presidents Club at the end of his term and the bitter way in which he departed Washington on Inauguration Day, people familiar with the matter said.

It was a conversation on that January day between former Presidents Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama that formed the basis of the vaccination campaign, which debuted Thursday. Because Trump made the decision to not join his predecessors in that historic moment, a person close to the project said, he wasn't asked to be involved in the public service announcement.

Trump expressed little interest in joining his predecessors to promote the vaccine, and the team that organized the PSA did not view it as likely that the 45th president would participate, leaving little opening for his inclusion.

"He has made no signals of wanting to be included in these types of moments," an aide to a former president told CNN.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 03-14-2021 at 08:51 AM. Reason: way, way, way too much text all bunched together

Holy too much text! TL:DR

No one is going to read something like that-it makes my eyes hurt.

My husband and I are eligible for the vaccine in my state and we're going to get it on Wednesday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Why?

Because I don't like anal penetration sex between men, I don't.

Just because I don't like anal sex, doesn't make me any less gay or unable to be loved.

I can't be the only one out here, I'm just not. Don't worry about it. Mind your fucking business.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSt...-bank-76453888

GALVESTON, Texas -- An arrest warrant was issued for a woman who refused to wear a mask at a Texas bank, saying to a police officer: “What are you going to do, arrest me?”

Police have issued a warrant for the arrest of Terry Wright, 65, of Grants Pass, Oregon. The incident on Thursday at a Bank of America in Galveston was captured by the officer's body camera, The Galveston County Daily News reported.
    Police say they've obtained an arrest warrant on resisting arrest and criminal trespassing charges.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott on Wednesday ended statewide orders requiring people to wear face masks in public places, declaring that businesses should decide for themselves what COVID-19 precautions to take on their properties. Many businesses have kept their own mask rules in place.

Police said a bank manager called police after Wright refused to wear a mask while inside, and then refused to leave the building when asked.

The police department on Friday released the officer's body camera video footage. In the video, Wright can be seen standing in the middle of the bank’s lobby, surrounded by other customers, all of whom were wearing masks.

Wright told the officer she had come to the bank to make a withdrawal. The officer asked her to go outside or put on a mask. She refused.

“What are you going to do, arrest me?” she asked.

He replied: “Yes, for intruding on premises.” And then she said: “That’s hilarious.”

Wright then told the officer the law said she didn’t have to wear a mask. As the officer took out handcuffs, she pulled away and began to walk toward the door. The officer stopped her and forced her to the ground. After she was handcuffed, she complained that her foot was injured.

“Police brutality right here people,” she said to the other customers at the bank. Replies of “no” and “no, it's not” could be heard.

Police said she suffered minor injuries during the struggle and was taken to a hospital for treatment.

Wright told The Washington Post that she has never covered her face inside stores, even when the statewide mandate was in place. She said she was in an RV park across the bay from Galveston in Hitchcock, Texas.

She told the newspaper she was “attacked” and compared mask requirements to the way that Nazi Germany forced Jewish people to identify themselves with a Star of David. She also said she believed in a “plandemic” in a reference to a documentary-style video in which an anti-vaccine activist promotes a string of questionable, false and potentially dangerous coronavirus theories.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/post-v...ry?id=75524209

When a Florida doctor died just weeks after receiving a coronavirus vaccine, his story whipped around the internet and spurred fears that the COVID-19 vaccine might have had something to do with his death. But scientists warn that these isolated cases, while tragic, do not mean the vaccines are to blame.

“These vaccines have had incredible safety profiles in the trials and post-authorization. So far, there has been nothing to confirm these awful events," said Dr. John Brownstein, an epidemiologist at Boston Children's Hospital and an ABC News contributor.

In fact, an average of 8,000 people die each day in the United States. Some of them may have just received a coronavirus vaccine.

MORE: COVID-19 live updates: Fauci says next 6 weeks will be 'full-court press' on variants
    “We have to be very careful about causality," Brownstein said. "There are going to be spurious relationships, especially as the vaccine is targeting elderly or those with chronic conditions. Just because these events happen in proximity to the vaccine does not mean the vaccine caused these events."

"Nursing home centers and hospices are of particular concern, because they are homes to incredibly frail populations," Brownstein pointed out, "and you have to look at the background rate of these events within those populations.”

Scientists say it's human nature to draw a connection between events -- especially when they happen close together -- but it doesn't mean one caused the other.

“These medical events occur every single day, including unexplained illnesses," said Dr. William Schaffner, professor of medicine in the Division of Infectious Diseases at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. "The question really is, do they occur at a greater rate in the vaccinated population than they do in the general population?”

Every time someone gets sick or dies shortly after getting a vaccine, government agencies investigate to ensure there's no link.

“The CDC, FDA, CMS and the Department of Defense are all collaborating on a series of surveillance activities for medical events that occur after vaccination," Schaffner said. "They are looking for these events, gathering and investigating them in a very systematic fashion."

"These events are taken very seriously," Schaffner said, adding that authorities conduct autopsies and also hunt for patterns, to ensure there's no association.

So far, more than 26 million people in the United States have received a dose of the vaccine for COVID-19. The CDC estimates that out of every 1 million people, two or three who receive the Moderna vaccine and around 11 who receive the Pfizer vaccine may suffer a severe allergic reaction. Some people experience side effects like fever, fatigue and a sore arm. But so far, the CDC hasn't identified a single case in which the vaccine caused a person's death.

Schaffner said that though these isolated deaths shortly after vaccination sound scary, we should all try to resist the temptation of assuming these events are related.

"We all know that the rooster crows before the dawn, but we don’t think the rooster makes the sun come up, simply because they are related in time," he said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ca...ts/ar-BB1e4DvJ

Feb. 27—California state Sen. Richard Pan, D-Sacramento, is calling on Twitter and Facebook to ban high-profile anti-vaccine activist Robert F. Kennedy Jr. from their platforms as part of a national campaign to encourage vaccination against COVID-19.

Pan told supporters of his Ready to Vaccinate campaign in a Wednesday email that Kennedy should be stripped of his accounts for using them to "spread lies about COVID-19 vaccines and trying to drive fear in communities of color."

"Sadly, COVID-19 isn't the only disease we're fighting," Pan wrote in the email inviting subscribers to sign a petition for Kennedy's social media removal. "We're also up against the disease of misinformation, perpetuated by high-profile anti-vaxxers like Robert F. Kennedy Jr."

Ready to Vaccinate is a project under the umbrella of ProtectUs Now, a nonprofit launched in January that Pan works with to combat misinformation around health policy.

The organizations were set up to "provide spaces for people to speak up" and have deep discussions on public health issues like COVID-19 and vaccines, said Crystal Strait, founder and board member. The group has not started taking donations yet, Strait said.

Kennedy is an environmental attorney and the son of former U.S. Attorney General and New York Sen. Robert F. Kennedy. He's also known for his advocacy as the founder of Children's Health Defense, an anti-vaccine group that has promoted false information on immunizations, including the COVID-19 vaccines.

Because of his online rhetoric, Instagram removed Kennedy Jr.'s account in February as part of a multi-month sweep by social media companies to eradicate COVID-19 and vaccine falsehoods on their platforms.

"We removed this account for repeatedly sharing debunked claims about the coronavirus or vaccines," a spokesperson for Facebook, which owns Instagram, said at the time.

But Kennedy's Facebook and Twitter accounts, with 309,000 and 227,000 followers, respectively, remained active.

In an interview, Kennedy said Pan's campaign was an attempt to quell debate.

"The idea of a government official advocating for censorship of Americans for criticizing a pharmaceutical product is anti-American," he said.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration determined authorized COVID-19 vaccines to be safe and effective after enduring rigorous scientific reviews. The vaccines will also continued to be monitored for any safety concerns, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention notes.

This is not the first time Pan and Kennedy have publicly clashed over vaccines.

The legislator is the author of California's two strict vaccine laws, which Kennedy lobbied against when they were written in 2015 and 2019. The rules limit when kids can skip their shots in order to enroll in school as a way to maintain high vaccination rates against deadly diseases in California's classrooms.

Pan said the platforms need to ban accounts like Kennedy's in order to "curtail the influence of anti-vaxxer information online."

"They've been undermining science for years," Pan wrote, "and today, we say: No more."

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotec...cular-partners

Novartis is kick-starting a new trial with Molecular Partners for an experimental COVID-19 drug just a few months after another partnered attempt flopped.

The U.S.-Swiss major was a little late to the COVID-19 R&D game, but has in recent months tried to ramp things up, penning a pandemic vaccine manufacturing pact with Pfizer/BioNTech and CureVac while also pairing with two biotechs on new drugs against the disease.

The first of these partnerships, with Australian cell therapy specialist Mesoblast, hasn’t gone so well: The pair inked a $50 million upfront deal in November last year for global rights to remestemcel-L in COVID-19, reinvigorating a project that had been hit by FDA rejection as a treatment for children with steroid-resistant graft-versus-host disease just a few weeks earlier.

The deal also included $505 million in development milestones and $750 million in sales milestones, plus tiered double-digit royalties. But a month later, a phase 3 test flopped when data experts looked at remestemcel-L in ventilator-dependent patients with moderate to severe acute respiratory distress syndrome due to COVID-19 and said it was unlikely to show a benefit.

This saw Mesoblast’s shares crater, and Novartis looked like it had backed the wrong horse. There’s still a chance that remestemcel-L could show a benefit on some of these other endpoints, and, alongside Novartis, it will keep following up the patient cohort through 60 days to explore that further, with the data expected soon.

Novartis did not, however, put all its eggs in one basket, and also penned a deal with Molecular Partners for a different approach. That $69 million deal was for MP0420 and MP0423, two antivirals out of the biotech’s so-called DARPin tech.

Today, the pair said ensovibep (the new name for MP0420) is “expected to be included in a global phase 3 randomized, controlled clinical trial as part of the National Institutes of Health’s Accelerating COVID-19 Therapeutic Interventions and Vaccines (ACTIV) program.”

This trial, ACTIV-3, is set up to assess the safety and efficacy of various therapies for the treatment of adults hospitalized with a COVID-19 diagnosis. This also comes after the National Institutes of Health had to can several other experimental meds from its COVID-19 drug program, including candidates from Eli Lilly, GSK/Vir and Brii Biosciences, after initial data showed they were unlikely to benefit patients.

Should Novartis hit up its option to fully license these meds, it would then be responsible for all further development and sales. The pair will also work together to scale up manufacturing capacity in collaboration with Novartis’ generics and biosimilar biz Sandoz.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/manufac...ahead-december

The issue boils down to whether Pfizer and BioNTech's commercial manufacturing was up to par. EMA scientists had misgivings about “truncated and modified mRNA species present in the finished product," and as a result, filed two major objections with Pfizer and raised a slew of additional questions, the report says.

In an email to Fierce Pharma, Pfizer noted that discussions with regulators about vaccine quality are a "normal component of the regulatory review process."

Having a complete, intact mRNA molecule is essential to the performance of an mRNA vaccine, and “[even] a minor degradation reaction, anywhere along a mRNA strand, can severely slow or stop proper translation performance of that strand and thus result in the incomplete expression of the target antigen," Daan J.A. Crommelin, professor of biopharmaceutics, and colleagues wrote in The Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences last year, as quoted by BMJ.

For the Pfizer product, mRNA integrity for clinical batches came in at about 78%, compared with 55% for the proposed commercial batches, an EMA email dated November 23 states. That difference led to the concerns that Pfizer and the regulators worked through.

Vaccine efficacy does depend on the presence of appropriate levels of intact mRNA, according to the EMA. The regulators and Pfizer haven't said what level of mRNA integrity is acceptable.

"It’s important to note that each batch of vaccines is tested by the official medicinal control laboratory (OMCL)—the Paul-Ehrlich Institute in Germany—before final product release," Pfizer said in its emailed statement.

"As a result, the quality of all vaccine doses that are placed on the market in Europe has been double tested to ensure compliance with the specifications agreed upon with the regulatory authorities. Should a batch not meet these required specifications, the product wouldn’t be released for use in Europe."

In another leaked email dated November 25, an undisclosed source from the U.S. said that the "latest lots indicate that % intact RNA are back at around 70-75%, which leaves us cautiously optimistic that additional data could address the issue.”

Meanwhile, Pfizer told Fierce Pharma its EMA authorization indicates "that all the questions raised during the procedure were addressed satisfactorily and the efficacy, safety and quality of the vaccine could be demonstrated on the data submitted." Regulators in Canada, the U.S. and many other countries have also authorized the shot.

Paul Thomas M.D. under investigation for being an anti-vaxxer.

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/ne...u-police-said/

Man held 11 National Guard Soldiers Transporting Vaccine at Gunpoint

Let me guess...Qanon?
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 06-28-2021 at 12:43 PM.

Thread Information