Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus pandemic

Don't drink sanitizer! raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    People are paranoid that it's going to get in to the water supply. Again, it's panic with no solid basis.
    OMG, I hadn't even thought of that. Lets pretend this was a real thing (it's not), do people not realize they can boil water? When we lived in Pakistan all water had to be boiled before being consumed. This was before the day of bottled water too, so this was a thing people did daily, and then they put it in the fridge overnight and then it was drinkable the next day.

Do they not realize that if it was in the water supply every single person in China would already be sick, compared to the relatively small population of that huge country that actually got sick? Oh wait, I forgot, we elected Trump, so no.

There's real life consequences to hyping this shit up beyond what it's capable of. This isn't the apocalypse.
    THIS.

And we can thank the news media for stirring up the panic before the US had a single confirmed case of the coronavirus.

I can't wrap my head around the fear of COVID19 vs the lack of concern toward the flu (also 'incurable'), which kills tens of thousands of people every year. Maybe if we feared the flu as much as we fear the coronavirus and took the proper precautions there wouldn't be tens of thousands of flu deaths every year.

Those of us with compromised immune systems, as well as those who live in areas vulnerable to natural disasters, are probably better prepared (mentally and materially) to deal with the challenges of a pandemic - we're used to the inconvenience. My elderly mother - with two large freezers filled to capacity and a pantry with [literally] hundreds of cans/containers of dry goods - is in an absolute panic over this because she's afraid they'll close the grocery stores. She heard about that possibility on the news and hasn't let go of the idea. She's hoarding as we speak.

ETA: If I end up dying from COVID19, I give permission for all of you to laugh at me in an MDS article titled: "MDS COVID-19 Denier KimTisha Dies from the Virus.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 03-03-2020 at 05:30 AM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Yeah. Being prepared is one thing. Going full "preper" is something else again. We generally do a "big shop" once a month. Because we get paid once a month. So you get the Tpaper, laundry soap, etc. You kind of think about meals in a general way and top off the freezer. I have a monthly shipment from chewy for the dog food. Then we do "small shops" every week or so; pick up bread and milk, fresh fruits and veggies as we need them. So this month I thought a little more about "what if I couldn't get out to pick up bananas?" Hmmm might have issues if I ran out of coke. So we spent about what we would have on two small mid month shops to pick up some less perishable "fresh" things. Some frozen veggies, some Pillsbury rolls, some canned fruit. Some boxed mixes. Things that we will use, but might not have bought if we were still expecting to eat out a couple meals a week. I don't think I spent anymore than we normally would, just a little sooner.

I honestly don't expect the apocalypse. I do expect that some folks will die, and some folks will be harmed by the horrible combo of no insurance, no sick leave, no national health service and the absolute bone headed actions of people who are supposed to be making good plans for all of us.

By its very nature the "free" society we live in has a tough time in an epidemic situation. There is no central office or agency that can shut the whole place down to stop people from breathing on each other. Not saying that would be the thing to do, but we couldn't if we wanted to. You MIGHT be able to shut one town in Washington down for all the good that might do. People won't vaccinate their kids with a vaccine that's been around for years so what are the odds of getting them to take a brand new one? And so, the band plays on.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

What if?.

Best to be prepared if you can be or want to be.

Stocking up on shit is dumb.

Not stocking up on shit is dumb.

Nobody is right or wrong.

Bottom line, people can do what they want its their money.

Agree with everything Puzz and Saleen said here, and yes, people can do whatever they want with their money - I for one, encourage preparedness. But I greatly resent seeing my 90yo parents scared to death and believing the government is totally unprepared for anything like this, despite the fact the US has dealt with (and survived!) numerous pandemics in our lifetime. All of a sudden this pandemic is the end of the world? Hmmm.... what's different about this one?
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Agree with everything Puzz and Saleen said here, and yes, people can do whatever they want with their money - I for one, encourage preparedness. But I greatly resent seeing my 90yo parents scared to death and believing the government is totally unprepared for anything like this, despite the fact the US has dealt with (and survived!) numerous pandemics in our lifetime. All of a sudden this pandemic is the end of the world? Hmmm.... what's different about this one?
    What's different about this one, good question.

The fear of the unknown will drive some people crazy.

If this shit explodes I don't think the gov't is prepared.....and I don't think local authorities are prepared. I always think worst case and if that happens a whole lot of people will die from corona and others will die bcz they weren't prepared and others will die during the civil unrest that will follow.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Click bait and creating drama for clicks. It's the M.O. these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...hould-n1146996

While researchers are still learning about the new coronavirus, most people sickened by it appear to not get all that ill.

"The one thing we really don't need is mass hysteria," said Dr. Robert Murphy, executive director of the Institute for Global Health at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and an infectious diseases professor. "Eighty percent of people have such minor symptoms, they don't actually require any medical care at all. The 20 percent who do feel quite ill need to be evaluated, and some of them will require hospitalization and some of them will require intensive care."

Those most at-risk for severe symptoms include senior citizens and/or people with underlying medical conditions, such as cardiovascular or lung disease, cancer or diabetes, he said.

So far, there have been more than 100 confirmed cases across the United States. Six people have died from the illness; at least five of those patients had underlying medical conditions.

Before you do anything else, call your health care provider.

If you are worried you might have the coronavirus, pick up the phone before you seek medical treatment. The reason for this is twofold: In very mild cases, your doctor might be able to give you advice on how to treat your symptoms at home without needing to see you in person, which would reduce the number of other people you expose.

"The vast majority of cases are going to be mild, and people are going to recover just like they do from a cold or flu-like illness," said Dr. Amesh Adalja, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security and an infectious diseases doctor.

In more serious cases, where medical treatment might be necessary to assist with breathing issues or other problems, an urgent care center or a hospital emergency department will benefit from advance notice of your arrival. They may have a special entrance they want you to come in through so you don't expose other patients on your way in, or a mask they want you to put on, Adalja said.

Not everyone needs to be tested, experts say. If you have been in close contact with someone diagnosed with the coronavirus or have recently traveled to an area where the virus is spreading, and you develop a fever, a cough or difficulty breathing, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends you call a health care professional for guidance on whether to be tested.

Click bait and creating drama for clicks. It's the M.O. these days.
    Well that and the fact that Trump has gutted the CDC and couldn't find his ass with both hands.

He is even less prepared to respond usefully than Ronald Reagan was.

and Reagan was pretty useless.
    https://lithub.com/ronald-reagan-pre...d-did-nothing/

CDC analyzed reported AIDS cases from 1981 through 2000 from the 50 states, District of Columbia, and U.S. territories. Proportions by sex, age, race/ethnicity, region, and vital status (living or deceased) were computed over four time periods corresponding to changes in the AIDS case definition and the introduction of effective combination antiretroviral therapy (Table 1). Trends in estimated AIDS diagnoses and deaths of persons with AIDS were adjusted for reporting delays based on the number of cases reported to CDC through June 2000, and for anticipated reclassification of cases originally reported without human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection risk information. Estimated AIDS prevalence was calculated as the cumulative incidence of AIDS minus cumulative deaths adjusted for reporting delays (2).

As of December 31, 2000, 774,467 persons had been reported with AIDS in the United States; 448,060 of these had died; 3542 persons had unknown vital status. The number of persons living with AIDS (322,865) is the highest ever reported. Of these, 79% were men, 61% were black or Hispanic, and 41% were infected through male-to-male sex. Of the AIDS cases, approximately one third were reported during 1981--1992, 1993--1995, and 1996--2000 (Table 1). https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5021a2.htm
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Well that and the fact that Trump has gutted the CDC and couldn't find his ass with both hands.

He is even less prepared to respond usefully than Ronald Reagan was.

and Reagan was pretty useless.
    https://lithub.com/ronald-reagan-pre...d-did-nothing/
    True. It's a wonderful mix of things that is the perfect recipe to create hysteria.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/...aphic-factors/

Very interesting overview of who's been getting sick and who hasn't.

John Oliver's take on it:

https://youtu.be/c09m5f7Gnic
    Oh well, back to gum.

So I went to the grocery store today and stocked up on supplies. Not to protect myself from a virus. That wasn't my worry. To protect myself from idiots clearing the shelves thinking that it's the end times. Regardless of what happens, they've bought up a bunch of shit that nobody who needs it on a normal basis will be able to get now. You know what I wish? That this threat was actually at the level that they think it's at and kills off the stupid people.

If anything, I stocked up on stuff that will come in handy in case of an earthquake because my kits needed updating. We'll be sitting pretty if the big one hits in the next six months to a year. And prepared for human stupidity if they make this shit out to be the drama they desperately want it to be. Still won't be able to pay rent if that happens, but we'll have pasta and rice and canned soup to eat under the bridge in our car at least.

Always a silver lining
    Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 03-03-2020 at 07:55 PM.
    Oh well, back to gum.

So I went to the grocery store today and stocked up on supplies. Not to protect myself from a virus. That wasn't my worry. To protect myself from idiots clearing the shelves thinking that it's the end times. Regardless of what happens, they've bought up a bunch of shit that nobody who needs it on a normal basis will be able to get now. You know what I wish? That this threat was actually at the level that they think it's at and kills off the stupid people.

If anything, I stocked up on stuff that will come in handy in case of an earthquake because my kits needed updating. We'll be sitting pretty if the big one hits in the next six months to a year. And prepared for human stupidity if they make this shit out to be the drama they desperately want it to be. Still won't be able to pay rent if that happens, but we'll have pasta and rice and canned soup to eat under the bridge in our car at least.

Always a silver lining
    Yeah, I imagine somewhere in TX my sister is dusting off her Y2K end of the world food rations and feeling pleased with herself that she was already prepared.

We'll be sitting pretty if the big one hits in the next six months to a year. And prepared for human stupidity if they make this shit out to be the drama they desperately want it to be. Still won't be able to pay rent if that happens, but we'll have pasta and rice and canned soup to eat under the bridge in our car at least.

Always a silver lining
    Your ability to maintain a positive outlook in the face of adversity is truly inspiring.

Seriously though, this sucks for you and I hope for your sake and others like you, that the hysteria dies down soon. Big Pig Hugs to you....
    Last edited by KimTisha; 03-04-2020 at 06:44 AM.

Always a silver lining
    I went to Meijers yesterday and they were all sold out of hand sanitizer. The whole shelf was empty.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us.

I tried to call my doctor's office this morning to set up a blood pressure check up and I was NUMBER 96 IN QUEUE.

People are freaking out over everything.

I can still buy toilet paper, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBeWithMe View Post
    I tried to call my doctor's office this morning to set up a blood pressure check up and I was NUMBER 96 IN QUEUE.

People are freaking out over everything.

I can still buy toilet paper, tho.
    We've actually been buying our toilet paper, paper towels and coffee in bulk and having it delivered for the last year now to save money. So we're set in that department, thankfully. We just recieved a shipment last week of that stuff so we're good for now. Dog food too. All of that stuff is going to be gone because of people squandering it out of fear.
    Oh well, back to gum.

Same old playbook the orange windbag uses for all his fuck-ups.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/04/polit...der/index.html

Trump falsely claimed that Obama administration slowed down diagnostic testing, experts say

CNN)President Donald Trump sought to lay blame on the Obama administration for slowing down new diagnostic testing, but a Republican senator's office and a lab association said this is not correct.

"The Obama administration made a decision on testing that turned out to be very detrimental to what we're doing," Trump said Wednesday during on a meeting addressing the coronavirus outbreak. "And we undid that decision a few days ago so that the testing can take place in a much more rapid and accurate fashion."

An aide to Sen. Lamar Alexander, R-Tennessee, said the Obama administration made no such rule change. The aide, Taylor Haulsee, said the Obama administration did propose that the Food and Drug Administration have more oversight over approving diagnostic tests, but that did not go through.

"There has not yet been significant regulatory reform of diagnostics passed by Congress," Haulsee said.

Alexander served as chairman of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions while those changes were being considered during the Obama administration.
    A policy expert at the Association of Public Health Laboratories agreed with Haulsee's assessment.

When asked about Trump's remarks, Peter Kyriacopolous, chief policy officer at the association, said: "We aren't sure what rule is being referenced."

He added that "there was an intense interest from FDA to pursue regulation of lab-developed tests during the Obama administration, but it never occurred. FDA did a lot of work on this, but there never was a final rule that came out of all that work."

The White House did not offer a comment when asked to explain why the President said it was an Obama-era decision.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/scient...ry?id=69391954

Scientists say they've identified 2 strains of COVID-19

Scientists from China said they've identified two strains of COVID-19 linked to the recent outbreak.

Coronaviruses are a large family of RNA viruses, and when RNA viruses replicate quickly, they often mutate.

Researchers analyzed 103 sequenced genomes using strains from China, and found that 70% of strains were one type, which they called "L." The "L" strain was more aggressive than the remaining 30% of strains, which were dubbed "S."
    MORE: Wave goodbye to handshakes during coronavirus emergency

The first strain was more common at the beginning of the outbreak, in Wuhan, China, but its frequency decreased after early January. That drop-off could be a result of the strict measures China put in place to try and stem the spread of the virus.

The new paper, published Tuesday in the National Science Review from the Chinese Academy of Sciences, is preliminary, the paper's authors cautioned.

The scientists only analyzed strains from China, so more information is needed about strains from other countries to determine whether the same viruses have spread worldwide.

Always a silver lining

This girl is pissed, I went on amazon to order my normal things such as emergen c and they were out. Only time in 10 years. People are getting crazy. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant Toaster View Post
    This girl is pissed, I went on amazon to order my normal things such as emergen c and they were out. Only time in 10 years. People are getting crazy. lol
    FFS. It's insane
    My worry is for the folks that can't get to the grocery store often and don't have the ability to stock up because of mobility/money issues. Which, ironically enough, are the people that probably need it more than "Ted and Nancy Morrison who are lawyers and have 2.5 kids and amazing insurance". It's sad how people have been so conditioned to be "ME FIRST, FUCK EVERYONE ELSE" in this country.
    Oh well, back to gum.

FFS. It's insane
    My worry is for the folks that can't get to the grocery store often and don't have the ability to stock up because of mobility/money issues. Which, ironically enough, are the people that probably need it more than "Ted and Nancy Morrison who are lawyers and have 2.5 kids and amazing insurance". It's sad how people have been so conditioned to be "ME FIRST, FUCK EVERYONE ELSE" in this country.
    In this country its been me first fuck everyone else ever since they sailed here on their ships and stole land. Me first, this is mine not yours. Nothing has changed!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/st...id=hplocalnews

State Department urging US citizens not to travel by cruise ship

U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship, an advisory from the U.S. State Department said Sunday.
    a large ship in a body of water: Cruise ships ? Provided by WESH Orlando Cruise ships

The advisory was issued, because according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there is an increased risk of being infected with the coronavirus on cruises.

Passengers with plans to travel by cruise ship should contact their cruise line companies directly for further information, the State Department said.

In order to curb the spread of COVID-19, many countries have implemented strict screening procedures that have denied port entry rights to ships and prevented passengers from disembarking.

The State Department said that while the U.S. government has evacuated some cruise ship passengers in recent weeks, repatriation flights should not be relied upon as an option for U.S. citizens under the potential risk of quarantine by local authorities.

The news comes as a cruise ship hit by the new coronavirus and headed to the port of Oakland, California, will remain in international waters for at least another day as officials work on plans to transport passengers to facilities around the country.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/he...id=hplocalnews

The government's top infectious disease expert on Sunday said that the coronavirus outbreak is getting worse and warned elderly and sick people to think twice before traveling or circulating in crowds.

The remarks from Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, signaled a change in tone from health officials representing the Trump administration, making it clear that the outbreak is past the point where it can be prevented from spreading or easily tracked. That contrasted with the more measured language from some Trump officials including Vice President Mike Pence.

"If you get infected, the risk of getting into trouble is considerable, so it’s our responsibility to protect the vulnerable," Fauci said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "When I say protect, I mean right now, not wait until things get worse, say 'no large crowds, no long trips, and above all, don’t get on a cruise ship.'"

Fauci noted many of the newly confirmed cases showed signs of “community spread,” meaning they couldn’t be traced back to a single source and suggesting the outbreak is intensifying.

Ben Carson, the neurosurgeon who leads the Department of Housing and Urban Development, said on ABC's “This Week with George Stephanopoulos” that healthy people should go about normal daily activities but noted, "If you are not healthy, think very seriously about attending places where there are crowds."

The Associated Press reported late Saturday that the White House overruled a CDC warning that elderly and physically fragile Americans be advised not to fly on commercial airlines. Trump administration officials denied the report.

Current and former administration officials have said President Donald Trump's eagerness to downplay bad news has undercut his own administration's efforts to contain the outbreak. Meanwhile, there were more reports of the virus circulating in communities, with Washington, D.C., reporting its first known case.

Thread Information