Page 24 of 89 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 34 74 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus pandemic

https://fox40.com/news/national-and-...w-mask-policy/

(CNN) — The CEO of a national retail chain said Saturday that he’s willing to lose customers over a new store policy on face masks.

JOANN Fabric and Craft Stores CEO Wade Miquelon acknowledged that some customers may be angered by the policy, which takes effect Monday.

JOANN, which operates about 850 stores across 49 states, will now “respectfully encourage” masks regardless of local mandates.

“This is the right thing to do,” said Miquelon, “So, for the very few minority [of people] that don’t want to comply, I think those are probably customers that we’re willing to lose just because of the situation that we’re in.”

Miquelon said the policy is necessary as coronavirus cases have reached a “tipping point.”

Previously, JOANN had a face mask policy at stores where local government had rules in place. The new policy, which encourages but does not explicitly require masks, applies to all of the company’s stores.

Signs will be posted at all stores Saturday and the company will inform their customers of the change via its website.

Miquelon declined to say whether JOANN employees are trained to refuse customers who don’t wear face masks. “We’ll cross the bridge when we come to it,” he said.

While he recognizes the potential for “hostile moments,” Miquelon added, “I just don’t want to see an employee get hurt. Our people didn’t sign up for that. They’re just trying to be a good citizen and earn a living.”

In March, JOANN released a video tutorial on how to make face masks and encouraged people to drop them off at store locations to be donated to local hospitals.

Miquelon’s concerns underscore how retailers are trying to strike a balance between protecting their employees and maintaining relationships with customers they need to keep their businesses alive.

Several retailers, including Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe’s, Walgreens and CVS, require masks but won’t stop maskless customers from shopping in their stores. They say they want to avoid any confrontations between angry customers and employees.

Jeezus, this corporate statement is like a giant mixed metaphor. I love how the CEO of Joann Fabrics is playing both sides of the fence here. Spoken like a true corporate honcho: They are "willing to lose customers" over "respectfully encouraging" masks because "it's the right thing to do." And then he elaborates on the customers he will lose - "those not willing to comply." To comply with what?! There is no requirement to comply with.

I really don't care what they do - require masks or don't require masks, the public will vote with their feet either way. But this announcement basically says "we don't require masks" while trying to make it sound like they do and not only that - they are so committed to their stance that they are even willing to suffer loss of patronage because "it's the right thing to do." It's like virtue signaling without the virtue.

Bottom line: The CEO of JF thinks I'm an idiot. I'd have a whole lot more respect for him if he had the balls to come out and simply say that JF encourages the use of masks but will leave the decision up to the customer. Because at the end of the day, that is their policy.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 07-26-2020 at 10:19 AM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Even in Australia there is anti mask ranters

Male Karen hates getting blocked by store employee trying to enforce store policy/ state order in some cases.

FTR, I'm pro-mask.

I'm a germaphobe and I'm immuno-compromised so I appreciate mask wearing and the concept behind it. I wear one when I'm in public because there's a feckin' pandemic making the rounds - it's not rocket science, it's just common sense.

That said, the jackholes in these videos represent a small minority of people who will be ignorant no matter what the issue. We have these jackholes on the pro-mask side of the fence, too. You know the ones... the self-appointed Mask Police who confront people in the aisles of supermarkets, loudly citing Failure to Use Mask, Improper Use of Mask, Walking the Wrong Way on a One-Way Aisle.
    My own cousin has joined this band of lunatics. I would never enter a store with her during this pandemic.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    FTR, I'm pro-mask.

I'm a germaphobe and I'm immuno-compromised so I appreciate mask wearing and the concept behind it. I wear one when I'm in public because there's a feckin' pandemic making the rounds - it's not rocket science, it's just common sense.

That said, the jackholes in these videos represent a small minority of people who will be ignorant no matter what the issue. We have these jackholes on the pro-mask side of the fence, too. You know the ones... the self-appointed Mask Police who confront people in the aisles of supermarkets, loudly citing Failure to Use Mask, Improper Use of Mask, Walking the Wrong Way on a One-Way Aisle.
    My own cousin has joined this band of lunatics. I would never enter a store with her during this pandemic.
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...r-a-mask-order

We just had a security guard face murder charges because he was after another person over mask mandates when entering the store and its in the Los Angeles area though. This guard should have considered that committing brutality leading to death on a customer would end up shitter on our side the pro mask side.

https://fox40.com/news/national-and-...ses-adds-9300/

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Florida surpassed New York over the weekend as the state with the second-most coronavirus cases in the U.S.

More than 9,300 new cases were reported in the Sunshine State on Sunday, accompanied by an additional 78 new deaths. Florida’s 423,855 coronavirus cases were surpassed only by California’s 453,659 cases.

With 39.5 million residents, California has almost double the population of Florida’s 21.4 million inhabitants. California is the nation’s most populous state, followed by Texas, Florida and New York.

New York, once the epicenter of the virus in the U.S., had 411,736 coronavirus cases. The state has 19.4 million residents.

https://fox40.com/news/national-and-...a-high-school/

(CNN) — Two students tested positive for COVID-19, and as many as 200 others may have been exposed, after taking the ACT college admissions test at an Oklahoma high school.

The two students tested positive for the virus Sunday, just one day after taking the ACT at Edmond North High School on July 18, according to an ACT spokesperson.

“Upon learning of these positive tests, the school immediately contacted local public health officials, notified ACT, and we have informed all students and test monitors in attendance that day,” Tarah DeSousa, the spokesperson, told CNN.

“As part of ACT’s test center social distancing guidelines, students and monitors were asked to complete a series of COVID-19 symptom and travel screening questions, instructed to practice social distancing guidelines while on campus, and it was recommended that masks be worn by all.”

Students, parents, and test administrators who were in the same testing center as the two students received emails from ACT officials alerting them that they were likely “within the area of one or both of these students for up to 15 minutes.”

However, those who took the exam in the same room as the students received a different email warning them that they were probably around the students for hours.

“According to seat assignments, it’s likely that you or your child were on the same floor or room as one or both of these students for up to four hours,” said an ACT email obtained by CNN.
    Fears over testing practices

ACT officials were under fire the same weekend after nearly 1,400 students showed up to their testing locations only to find that the test was canceled without warning.

But for one parent, a cancellation would have been a blessing in disguise.

Greta Rasmussen DeCoster’s son, high-schooler Frederick DeCoster, was one of many students taking the ACT on Saturday in Wood County, Wisconsin.

While no coronavirus cases have been reported from his testing center, Frederick DeCoster is now one week into a 14-day quarantine after fearing he may have been exposed to the virus by a student who he said appeared ill. He is worried that if he was exposed, he could pass it on to family members who may be more at risk.

The 18-year-old senior was placed in a room with about 16 other students, only one who was wearing a mask, with a desk in between each of them, he said.

“The proctor waited to ask us if anyone tested positive for COVID or came in contact with someone who tested positive after we were already sitting grouped together,” Frederick DeCoster told CNN.

“Almost no one was wearing a mask, even the proctor was constantly taking it off. I didn’t feel safe. Then there was a kid sitting behind me sneezing, coughing hard, breathing really heavily. If you were to describe someone with coronavirus showing all the symptoms, it would be this guy. I was really worried.”

Although ACT guidelines require test centers to position desks six feet apart, only test center staff are required to wear masks. Students are recommended to wear masks during testing, but not required unless there is a local mask mandate.

The DeCosters said they filed a complaint with ACT officials to bring awareness to what goes on inside testing centers, but were told the investigation would likely take five weeks — which Greta Rasmussen DeCoster said is more than enough time “for many other students to get the virus from an ACT testing center.”

“He was already angry when they started the test, but as soon as it started he realized the boy seated directly behind him was wheezing, breathing extremely loud and fast, sniffling, and repeatedly clearing his throat,” she told CNN.

“As a mother, I immediately thought of all the other families who attended that test center and hundreds of others around the country that day, who may not be aware that CDC guidelines were not followed at every test center, and who may be at risk or have someone in their family at risk if their child was exposed.”

With states across the country bringing children back to school, Greta Rasmussen DeCoster hopes education officials learn from the ACT’s issues and incorporate them in their models for how schools and universities can reopen successfully and safely,
    A plea to cancel the ACT/SAT requirement

Before the coronavirus pandemic, students spent years stressing about scoring high enough on their standardized tests to get into their dream schools. Now they’re still stressing, not just over scores, but also about possibly contracting a dangerous virus.

For Frederick DeCoster, who said he “blew the exam” because he could not concentrate on anything but his fear of contracting COVID and exposing his extended family members to the virus, the issue is about more than just the ACT.

“Many students don’t have the chance to take off work or travel to take the ACT,” he said. “I’m lucky to be able to study and then travel to retake the test, but in doing so, me and my family’s health has been put at risk because they ignored all screening and mask guidelines.”

Many other parents and students worry that standardized tests, including the ACT and SAT, are giving privileged students an undue advantage, especially amid the pandemic. Not everyone can afford to pay for exam tutoring, taking off work to travel hours back and forth or renting a hotel for the night.

While some US colleges and universities have already suspended ACT and SAT tests as an admission requirement until 2024, many parents and students fear that not taking the test — even if it isn’t a requirement — could hurt their chances of getting accepted into a good school.

“This has nothing to do with academics anymore,” Greta Rasmussen DeCoster said. “This is a life or death situation and that’s why I’m mad. They put my child’s life at risk and there’s really no other way to put it.”

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-virus-spreads

The Miami Marlins' home opener against the Baltimore Orioles on Monday night has been postponed, as coronavirus cases continue to pop up among the team.

Eight more players and two coaches with the Marlins have tested positive for the coronavirus, as an outbreak has spread throughout their clubhouse and brought the total cases in recent days to at least 14, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN.

The Marlins remain in Philadelphia and continue to undergo testing after their weekend series there. Baltimore general manager Mike Elias confirmed that the game in Miami was postponed.

On Sunday, four Marlins players tested positive for the coronavirus, including that day's starter, Jose Urena, according to sources familiar with the situation, leading the team to delay its postgame trip home amid concerns about a possible outbreak.

The Marlins were already going to be without the services of Urena, catcher Jorge Alfaro, who was placed on the injured list before their season opener on Friday, infielder Garrett Cooper and outfielder Harold Ramirez.

Before the Marlins' opening series in Philadelphia, the team played a an exhibition game in Atlanta on Wednesday. It's also possible that the infections occurred there.

The Yankees begin a series in Philadelphia Monday night and would use the same clubhouse that the Marlins used. Sources told ESPN's Marly Rivera that the Yankees have been informed that the visitors' clubhouse has been completely fumigated several times. The Yankees also brought their own clubhouse personnel down from New York City to work the game, if it happens. No decisions have been made yet, sources said.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLanders View Post
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...r-a-mask-order

We just had a security guard face murder charges because he was after another person over mask mandates when entering the store and its in the Los Angeles area though. This guard should have considered that committing brutality leading to death on a customer would end up shitter on our side the pro mask side.
    Jeezus, this is what I'm talking about. I can't imagine feeling this strongly about anything, let alone a mask. Just keep your mask on and mind your own feckin' business, you know?

https://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...3-3cfc7d50ac91

NATION-WORLD
    VERIFY: Research on blood types and COVID-19 severity show contradictions
    Recent research papers find 'associations' between blood type and COVID-19 severity while other papers simultaneously say there is no link.

Author: VERIFY, Jason Puckett (TEGNA), David Tregde
    Published: 6:00 PM EDT July 24, 2020
    Updated: 6:00 PM EDT July 24, 2020
    Facebook Twitter
    A research paper published in March raised an interesting question: Could blood types play a role in COVID-19's severity? Right now there are scientific contradictions that make it impossible to definitively answer that question.

The initial report, conducted by Chinese researchers, compared COVID-19 outcomes in 2,173 patients and looked to see if there were patterns relating to blood types.

“The results showed that blood group A was associated with a higher risk for acquiring COVID-19 compared with non-A blood groups,” the report’s abstract reads.

While an “association” doesn’t necessarily mean a direct link, this report led to multiple other studies that have been published in recent weeks.

The VERIFY team took a look at the most recent and what they found.

RELATED: VERIFY: Masks with valves defeat the purpose

STUDIES THAT FOUND AN ASSOCIATION:
    In June, a pre-print study was published that detailed the work of Italian and Spanish researchers. They gathered data on 1,610 COVID-19 patients who had severe outcomes and compared their results to their blood types.

In their abstract, the researchers wrote that “analysis showed a higher risk for A-positive individuals ... and a protective effect for blood group O.”

As of the writing of this VERIFY article, this study had not been peer-reviewed and was still in “pre-print.”

On July 21, Columbia University researchers published another pre-print study with related findings. They analyzed 7,770 people who had been tested for SARS-CoV-2 and looked for any association between blood type and outcome.

Their abstract reads that they “find evidence of overall association with ABO blood groups and a beneficial association between Rh-negative blood groups and both infection status and death.”

RELATED: VERIFY: Face mask facts vs. falsehoods

STUDIES THAT SAY THERE IS NO LINK:

On July 17, Researchers at Harvard Medical School published research in the Annals of Hematology. They analyzed data on 7,648 patients who received COVID-19 testing.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Pre-Owned Multi-Color Australian Opal Triplet 18k yellow Over Silver Ring .30ctw
    Pre-Owned 14X10mm oval Australian opal triplet with .05ctw round Neon apatite, .15ctw round black spinel and .10ctw round white zircon, rhodium over sterling silver ring. Measures approximately .87...
    Ad By Jewelry Television
    “Blood type is not associated with a severe worsening of symptoms in people who have tested positive for COVID-19, report Harvard Medical School researchers based at Massachusetts General Hospital,” a press release reads.

While their study did not support the idea that blood type is linked to COVID-19 severity, it did find a different possible association. It reads that “symptomatic individuals with blood types B and AB who were Rh positive were more likely to test positive for COVID-19, while those with blood type O were less likely to test positive.”

RELATED: VERIFY: COVID-19 vaccine syringes to have trackers on the outside, not in vaccine

CURRENT CONCLUSION
    There isn’t one. As frustrating as it may be for people wanting a definitive answer on this question, the science is not conclusive right now. That doesn’t mean any of these studies are inherently wrong or flawed, it just means that more research will have to be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

https://kstp.com/minnesota-sports/mi...5808237/?cat=1

The Vikings announced late on Monday afternoon that four rookies, including first round pick WR Justin Jefferson have been placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 list. That means that the players are either a) positive, or b) are in quarantine after being in close contact with someone who tested positive. Clubs do not need to disclose which it is.

The other players on that list are OL Blake Brandel, S Brian Cole II, and OL Tyler Higby.

The Vikings also said Monday that Head Athletic Trainer and Vice President of Sports Medicine and the team's Infection Control Officer Eric Sugarman, along with members of his family, tested positive for COVID-19.

It comes with the team's veterans set to report for Training Camp on Tuesday.

The organization said it has followed protocol and notified all who were in close contact with Sugarman, and those people have been tested. Sugarman hasn't had recent contact with players and no additional cases within the team's front office have been identified, the Vikings said.

According to the Vikings, Sugarman will continue to fulfill his role virtually as much as possible but other staff will assist where necessary.

Sugarman issued the following statement:

"This weekend my family and I tested positive for COVID-19. We immediately quarantined and began to follow the established protocols. At this time we are all doing fine and experiencing only mild symptoms.

"I have an immense amount of pride in the effort I have personally put forth to protect the NFL family, the Minnesota Vikings organization and our community with thoughtfulness and decision-making based on the current science over these last four months. I am humble to be serving in that capacity as it has been some of the most rewarding work of my career. But as I sit here in quarantine, it is clear this virus does not discriminate. It should continue to be taken seriously. I encourage people to take the necessary precautions and follow guidelines that have been established nationally and locally.

"At this time I am taking care of myself and my family and am focused on their health and recovery. I will return to the Vikings and my role after following the proper protocols."

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/hyd...em-to-kill-it/

I find it odd at this juncture in late July that I’ve been writing about a certain drug that was touted as a “miracle cure” for COVID-19 as far back as March. I am referring, of course, to hydroxychloroquine, an anti-malarial drug that also has immunomodulatory effects that make it also useful to treat various autoimmune diseases, such as systemic lupus erythematosus. It’s a drug that, despite the lack of evidence for its efficacy and the continued publication of negative studies testing its efficacy against the disease, just won’t die. Truly, hydroxychloroquine is the Jason Voorhees of drugs, at least with respect to COVID-19. After each new study showing it to be ineffective, it always seems to rise, just as Jason always comes back for another round of killing after seemingly having died at the end of the previous movie.

The hypothesis that antimalarial drugs might be effective treatments for COVID-19 originated in Wuhan, China during the early phase of the pandemic in January. There, Chinese researchers reported that none of their 80 patients with lupus erythematosus who were taking hydroxychloroquine went on to become infected with SARS-CoV-2. As a result of that and old evidence of antiviral activity for the drugs, they became interested in using these antimalarial drugs to treat COVID-19. (Never mind that immunosuppressed patients are exactly the patients most likely to assiduously follow the recommendations of public health authorities during a pandemic.) A number of clinical trials were registered, and, based on anecdotal reports and small clinical trials (nearly all of which are as yet unpublished), in February the Chinese government published an expert consensus recommending CQ or HCQ for patients with COVID-19. Soon after, a number of nations followed suit. From there, a French “brave maverick scientist” named Didier Raoult latched onto the drug as the “answer” to the COVID-19 pandemic, publishing risibly bad studies claiming to show its efficacy. Tech bros such as Elon Musk discovered the claims about hydroxychloroquine and Raoult’s bad science, leading to Donald Trump Tweeting favorably about his study and, ultimately, to the FDA issuing an emergency use authorization for the drug to treat COVID-19.

Since then, there has been a drip-drip-drip of negative studies of hydroxychloroquine, some studies observational, but, increasingly, many being randomized clinical trials, such as the publication of a randomized controlled clinical trial of the drug as post-exposure prophylaxis that was entirely negative. This was followed by two more, first, a Spanish post-exposure prophylaxis trial that was also negative. Then there was the Recovery Trial from the UK, which failed to find a benefit from hydroxychloroquine in hospitalized patients treated with the drug, leading to the revocation of the FDA’s original ill-advised EUA.

Despite the weight of the negative evidence that’s been accumulating, for some reason, last week the advocates of hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for COVID-19 have been doubling down. You might think that they’d slink off and pretend that the negative evidence hasn’t been accumulating. To quote John Belushi, “But nooooo!” No, they have to double down. I’m going to look at two examples. The first one is particularly disappointing, as it involves an apparently respected epidemiologist. The second is less so, given that it involves the crank medical “society” known as the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS), a group featured on this very blog more than once before.

Harvey Risch: Defending hydroxychloroquine with bad science
    I’m generally a big fan of epidemiology and epidemiologists. After all, epidemiology is how we know that tobacco smoking causes cancer and that vaccines do not cause autism, sudden infant death syndrome, autoimmune diseases, diabetes, or the other conditions and diseases attributed to vaccines by antivaxxers. Epidemiology is also how we will ultimately figure out who is at most risk for serious disease, complications, and death from COVID-19 and then use that information to fine-tune the public health response to the pandemic and to develop additional interventions. So I scratched my head mightily yesterday when I saw an op-ed in Newsweek by Harvey Risch, MD, PhD, a professor of epidemiology at the Yale School of Public Health entitled “The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It“. What is this “key” that Risch is talking about? Hydroxychloroquine. No, seriously, I kid you not. He’s talking about what I’ve started calling the “acupuncture of the COVID-19 pandemic”:

As professor of epidemiology at Yale School of Public Health, I have authored over 300 peer-reviewed publications and currently hold senior positions on the editorial boards of several leading journals. I am usually accustomed to advocating for positions within the mainstream of medicine, so have been flummoxed to find that, in the midst of a crisis, I am fighting for a treatment that the data fully support but which, for reasons having nothing to do with a correct understanding of the science, has been pushed to the sidelines. As a result, tens of thousands of patients with COVID-19 are dying unnecessarily. Fortunately, the situation can be reversed easily and quickly.

I am referring, of course, to the medication hydroxychloroquine. When this inexpensive oral medication is given very early in the course of illness, before the virus has had time to multiply beyond control, it has shown to be highly effective, especially when given in combination with the antibiotics azithromycin or doxycycline and the nutritional supplement zinc.

This far into the pandemic, with double-blind, randomized, controlled clinical trials starting to be published and showing, each and every one of them so far, that hydroxychloroquine shows no benefit versus COVID-19 (I’ll discuss them shortly), let’s just say that I am flummoxed to find, in the midst of a crisis, that a seemingly respected epidemiologist is fighting for a drug that almost certainly doesn’t work based on low quality and anecdotal evidence when far higher quality evidence is becoming available and even the bulk of the observational evidence has been negative, with one notable outlier. I am even more flummoxed to find that Newsweek provided this epidemiologist a platform to promote this argument, particularly given how he based it primarily on a commentary and review that he wrote in May, which is basically ancient history as far as the evidence base for hydroxychloroquine goes.

Next up, Risch uses an appeal to authority—his, and that of an epidemiology journal:

On May 27, I published an article in the American Journal of Epidemiology (AJE) entitled, “Early Outpatient Treatment of Symptomatic, High-Risk COVID-19 Patients that Should be Ramped-Up Immediately as Key to the Pandemic Crisis.” That article, published in the world’s leading epidemiology journal, analyzed five studies, demonstrating clear-cut and significant benefits to treated patients, plus other very large studies that showed the medication safety.

The politics of hydroxychloroquine continues and its crazy from here.

[QUOTE] This sort of appeal to the respectability of a scientific journal just makes me laugh these days. Journals far more prestigious than AJE have published utter rubbish before, for example The Lancet‘s publication of Andrew Wakefield‘s case series and that awful Surgisphere study on hydroxychloroquine in May. I could go on and name many other bad or even fraudulent papers in many other journals, but instead I’ll just refer to Retraction Watch for a sampling. The point is simple. Being published in a respected journal is not a guarantee of quality or that the study is even right. Indeed, I often point out that the highest profile journals, the ones that publish the most bleeding edge research, probably have a higher rate of studies that turn out to be wrong, because that’s what happens on the bleeding edge of science. Surely the eminent Prof. Risch knows this, but he makes the appeal anyway.

Since Prof. Risch referenced his own opinion article in AJE, I figured that I had to go and take a look at it. At this point, Newsweek annoyed the crap out of me because there was no direct link to the article, forcing me to go to the extra step of Googling its title and finding the article. Come on, Newsweek! It’s 2020! There’s no excuse for not including a direct link to the source and hasn’t been for at least a decade! Here, by the way, is the direct link. At this point, I would also like to point out that Prof. Risch is on the editorial board of AJE, a fact conveniently not mentioned in his Newsweek op-ed that is highly relevant, given that editorial board members can exercise a lot of influence on what gets published in a journal.

Reading the article, I was struck at how weak the arguments were. Prof. Risch basically tries to compare hydroxychloroquine to remdesivir, which I discussed nearly three months ago, when the results of the first randomized clinical trial (RCT) was announced, in essence, by press release. And, guess what? I’m not that impressed with the evidence for remdesivir’s efficacy against COVID-19, either!

Funny, though, until recently, hydroxychloroquine cultists were claiming that the drug would be effective against COVID-19 in seriously-ill hospitalized patients and then, as evidence accumulated that it isn’t, pivoted to the argument that it has to be given as early as possible in order to work. Clearly, there is a double standard at work here that Prof. Risch is not acknowledging. (We wouldn’t want to suggest that goalposts are being moved, would we?) Moreover, his argument is bullshit, plain and simple. If a drug strongly inhibits coronavirus replication, there’s no reason that it couldn’t be effective both in advanced disease and in early disease—or even as a prophylactic treatment to prevent infection. It’s true that it might not work as well (or at all) in all those situations, and it’s even true that one treatment is unlikely to work as well (or at all) in all those clinical situations, but there’s no a priori scientific reason to make the blanket declaration that one treatment can’t possibly be useful in both situations.

Think of it this way. The life-threatening inpatient acute respiratory distress syndrome caused by SARS-CoV-2 is on a continuum of disease, not a completely different disease, from symptomatic outpatient infection. In any event, I also agree that, because remdesivir hasn’t been studied in outpatient use, its use in outpatients is currently not that well supported, but, then, it is an intravenous medication only at present, making this argument rather a straw man and a red herring.

The rest of Prof. Risch’s AJE article is a veritable Gish gallop of cherry-picked studies. Hilariously, he relies heavily on uncontrolled “studies” and case series from two grifters, Didier Raoult and Vladimir Zelenko. I’ve written about Didier Raoult, a “brave maverick” true believer in his combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin and a bully, on several occasions, starting with his truly execrable study claiming that his combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin cleared coronavirus in all patients. None of these studies were controlled or randomized. Unbelievably, Prof. Risch cites Raoult’s case series of 1,061 COVID-19 patients as though it were anything but singularly uninformative and useless for evaluating whether his drug combination is effective against COVID-19. The results published as a preprint aren’t any more useful or convincing, either.

That’s not the most embarrassing thing in Prof. Risch’s article, though. This is:

The first study of HCQ+AZ (24) was controlled but not randomized or blinded, and involved 42 patients in Marseilles, France. This study showed a 50-fold benefit of HCQ+AZ vs standard-of-care, with P-value=.0007. In the study, six patients progressed, stopped medication use and left the trial before the day-6 planned outcome measure of swab-sampled nasopharyngeal viral clearance. Reanalysis of the raw study data elsewhere (25) and by myself shows that including these six patients does not much change the 50-fold benefit. What does change the magnitude of benefit is presentation with asymptomatic or upper respiratory-tract infection, vs lower respiratory-tract infection, the latter cutting the efficacy in half, 25-fold vs standard-of-care. This shows that the sooner these medications are used, the better their effectiveness, as would be expected for viral early respiratory disease. The average start date of medication use in this study was day-4 of symptoms. This study has been criticized on various grounds that are not germane to the science, but the most salient criticism is the lack of randomization into the control and treatment groups. This is a valid general scientific criticism, but does not represent epidemiologic experience in this instance. If the study had shown a 2-fold or perhaps 3-fold benefit, that magnitude of result could be postulated to have occurred because of subject-group differences from lack of randomization. However, the 25-fold or 50-fold benefit found in this study is not amenable to lack of randomization as the sole reason for such a huge magnitude of benefit. Further, the study showed a significant, 7-fold benefit of taking HCQ+AZ over HCQ alone, P-value=.035, which cannot be explained by differential characteristics of the controls, since it compares one treatment group to the other, and the treated subjects who received AZ had more progressed pneumonia than the treated subjects receiving HCQ alone, which should otherwise have led to worse outcomes. The study has also been described as “small,” but that criticism only applies to studies not finding statistical significance. Once a result has exceeded plausible chance finding, greater statistical significance does not contribute to evidence for causation (26).

I had a hard time believing that an actual professor of epidemiology at a school as reputable as Yale could write such drivel. The study he is referring to is Gautret et al., a study so awful, so full of flaws (and maybe even fraudulent), that it was quite properly dragged on science and medical Twitter for days and weeks afterward. That Prof. Risch would cite such an abomination of science tells you all you need to know about him.

Next, Prof. Risch cites Vladimir Zelenko. No, seriously, an epidemiologist is citing an unethical case series that hadn’t even been published yet in May. The link he provides in the citation is a link to a Google Documents page that no longer exists and was last accessed in April. I suspect that this was probably the same spreadsheet of patients that Zelenko had posted in early April that looked like this. I’m now leaning towards Prof. Risch’s commentary having not been peer-reviewed, because if an AJE peer reviewer let an author cite a link to a Google Document and call it a “two-page report,” its peer review sucks, and its editor should be ashamed of himself for publishing this. Zelenko’s evidence is so crappy that anyone citing it seriously should be thoroughly mocked.

The fourth study cited by Prof. Risch is the Prevent Senior study carried out in Brazil. It, too, was an awful study, as outlined by Elisabeth Bik. There was no randomization and no good documentation if the patients actually had COVID-19 or not. The two groups compared were not equally sick, and the reasons for hospitalizations and deaths were not listed. Moreover, the study was performed by an insurance company in Brazil which was promoting its telemedicine app for COVID-19:
    But back to the Newsweek op-ed:

Since publication of my May 27 article, seven more studies have demonstrated similar benefit. In a lengthy follow-up letter, also published by AJE, I discuss these seven studies and renew my call for the immediate early use of hydroxychloroquine in high-risk patients. These seven studies include: an additional 400 high-risk patients treated by Dr. Vladimir Zelenko, with zero deaths; four studies totaling almost 500 high-risk patients treated in nursing homes and clinics across the U.S., with no deaths; a controlled trial of more than 700 high-risk patients in Brazil, with significantly reduced risk of hospitalization and two deaths among 334 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine; and another study of 398 matched patients in France, also with significantly reduced hospitalization risk. Since my letter was published, even more doctors have reported to me their completely successful use.

This is painful to read. Seriously, this is an epidemiologist? Apparently so, but he’s an epidemiologist who confuses correlation with causation:

Beyond these studies of individual patients, we have seen what happens in large populations when these drugs are used. These have been “natural experiments.” In the northern Brazil state of Par?, COVID-19 deaths were increasing exponentially. On April 6, the public hospital network purchased 75,000 doses of azithromycin and 90,000 doses of hydroxychloroquine. Over the next few weeks, authorities began distributing these medications to infected individuals. Even though new cases continued to occur, on May 22 the death rate started to plummet and is now about one-eighth what it was at the peak.

A reverse natural experiment happened in Switzerland. On May 27, the Swiss national government banned outpatient use of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19. Around June 10, COVID-19 deaths increased four-fold and remained elevated. On June 11, the Swiss government revoked the ban, and on June 23 the death rate reverted to what it had been beforehand. People who die from COVID-19 live about three to five weeks from the start of symptoms, which makes the evidence of a causal relation in these experiments strong. Both episodes suggest that a combination of hydroxychloroquine and its companion medications reduces mortality and should be immediately adopted as the new standard of care in high-risk patients.

An Epidemiology 101 student should be able to dismantle the argument above. This is the sort of argument antivaxxers make, such as that the expansion of the vaccine schedule in the early 1990s was followed by a rise in the prevalence of autism, or claims that nations with more vaccines in their recommended schedule have higher infant mortality rates. The question to ask is: What else happened around the times that the magic drug hydroxychloroquine was disbursed to Par? or taken away from Switzerland? But, no. Whatever changes in COVID-19 mortality we’re observed must be due to the magic drug. Also, which is it? I thought that the addition of azithromycin, zinc, or doxycycline to the hydroxychloroquine was important!

It amuses me that on the very same day that Prof. Risch published his Newsweek op-ed, the New England Journal of Medicine published a clinical trial of 667 patients with mild-to-moderate COVID-19 randomized to receive placebo or hydroxychloroquine (with and without azithromycin, yet!), with the primary outcome being clinical status at 15 days. Can you guess what the result was? (Sure, I knew you could.) It was completely negative. But, wait! I can see Prof. Risch countering with the observation that this was a trial of hospitalized patients. We have that covered too! One week ago yet another randomized controlled trial of hydroxychloroquine was published in Clinical Infectious Diseases. It was a Spanish trial of 293 non-hospitalized patients with mild COVID-19, exactly the sort of study that Prof. Risch wanted. Guess what? It was negative. No benefit was observed with HCQ beyond the usual care. It is true that both of these studies did have one significant weakness, namely that they were both open label, but an open-label randomized trials are still way better in terms of determining the efficacy of a drug than any of the crappy observational studies cited by Prof. Risch to argue that everyone should be getting hydroxychloroquine now. One could even argue that the trials were underpowered to detect smaller effects, but Prof. Risch is not claiming small effects on mortality. He’s claiming that hydroxychloroquine is a game changer that could save hundreds of thousands of lives!

The AAPS enters the fray
    Regular readers are probably familiar with an organization known as the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS) and its journal, the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons (JPANDS). Basically, AAPS is a far right-wing/libertarian advocacy organization disguised as a medical professional society. When I first discovered this group, I noted that it was pretty much a fusion of a John Birch Society-like right wing group with a medical society and that it trafficked in the most vile antivaccine misinformation (e.g., that shaken baby syndrome is a “misdiagnosis” for vaccine injury and Andrew Wakefield’s recent claim that the measles vaccine will result in a mass extinction of humans), anti-immigrant fear-mongering, climate science denial, blaming breast cancer on abortion using execrable “science,” and more, such as the claim that radiation from the Fukushima reactor breach is good for you. The AAPS views doctors as some sort of mythical brave mavericks outside the herd whose godlike total autonomy must never be infringed by the government or anything else and rejects even the concept of a scientific consensus about anything. (Donald Trump’s first Secretary of Health and Human Services, Tom Price, is a member of AAPS.) Earlier this year, it even sued to protect its “right” to promote antivaccine misinformation.

Unsurprisingly, AAPS is all on board with hydroxychloroquine as a “miracle cure” for COVID-19, to the point that it’s even filed a lawsuit against the FDA! (Here are the original and follow-up filings.) Now here’s the hilarious part:

AAPS files with the court a chart showing how countries that encourage HCQ use, such as South Korea, India, Turkey, Russia, and Israel, have been far more successful in combatting COVID-19 than countries that have banned or discouraged early HCQ use, as the FDA has. Last week the FDA even misled the public by falsely stating that HCQ should not be used to treat COVID-19, when multiple studies show its benefits, and thousands of patients have been successfully treated worldwide.

“The interference with public access to hydroxychloroquine is disrupting our political processes,” notes AAPS General Counsel Andrew Schlafly. “Perhaps that is what some want, in order to deter Americans from attending political conventions and even voting, but it is unconstitutional for the FDA to infringe on these constitutional rights by blocking access to this safe medication.”

Here’s the chart:

No, seriously, that’s the chart. I have so many questions and observations, too:

This is a relatively small group of countries. There is no evidence that they were randomly selected. On what basis were they selected for this chart? I sense cherry picking.
    Given that hydroxychloroquine was (and still is) unproven, any mass adoption of the drug likely followed increases in fatalities and cases, and almost certainly was a step that was taken after other steps such as lockdowns, greatly increased testing, social distancing, etc. Isn’t it likely that the hydroxychloroquine adoption increased after these countries’ deaths/cases peaked and after they had taken other known steps that reduced measures mortality rates (such as increases and broader testing)?
    More importantly, there are probably dozens of other factors that correlate with “country starts administering hydroxychloroquine to COVID-19 patients in large numbers”. In other words, what are the confounders?
    This whole “analysis” (if you can call it that) reminds me very much of the time when antivaxxers published a truly awful study that “correlated” the number of recommended vaccines a country’s vaccine schedule with the country’s infant mortality rate.

One also can’t help but note that AAPS has also falsely claimed that masks and social distancing are not effective in slowing the spread of COVID-19. So, of course, it can’t possibly be different policies with respect to lockdowns, testing, and contact tracing that explain the differences in mortality rates between countries. Of course, AAPS has to find another “reason” to explain differences between nations. Naturally, AAPS being AAPS, it cherry picked a relatively small sample of countries to make a correlation and incorrectly infer causation.

The bottom line
    Hydroxychloroquine to is the acupuncture of the COVID-19 pandemic. What do I mean by that? Like acupuncture, hydroxychloroquine is an intervention with a very low prior plausibility (although, in fairness, the prior plausibility of acupuncture is much lower than even that of hydroxychloroquine) whose cultists behave just like acupuncture cultists when it comes to evidence. They believe their magic treatment works; so, like acupuncturists, they tend to downplay accumulating evidence from double-blind, placebo-controlled trials and point to much poorer quality observational studies, while making excuses like these, described for a similar situation, the use of vitamin C to treat cancer:

Because I’m dedicated to evidence and science when it comes to medical decision making, I always concede that it is still possible that hydroxychloroquine might still be found to have some anti-COVID-19 activity, although it’s becoming increasingly clear that, if there is any activity it will likely be very modest and require large clinical trials to detect, to the point where it’ll probably be clinically insignificant. That being said, it’s amazing how much believers in acupuncture, vitamin C to treat cancer, and hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19 have in common. It’s also distressing how much like the villain in a slasher flick the drug is. No matter how many times it appears to have died, it always comes back.

Chainsmokers facing backlash over their concert and over crowd size.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53566880

The head of Germany's public health agency has said he is "very concerned" by rising infections in the country.

"We are in the middle of a rapidly developing pandemic," Lothar Wieler, head of the Robert Koch Institute (RKI), told reporters.

Mr Wieler said Germans had become "negligent" and urged people to wear masks and respect social distancing and hygiene rules.

In the past week the country has recorded 3,611 new infections.

The warning comes as countries across Europe grapple with new infections and the problem of travellers moving across the continent for the summer holidays.

On Tuesday Germany issued a travel warning for three regions in Spain - Arag?n, Catalonia and Navarra - which have seen a recent spike in infections.

UK changes travel advice for Spanish islands
    Spain races to save tourism as cases surge
    It comes after the UK imposed a 14-day quarantine on all arrivals from Spain - a move Spanish Prime Minister Pedro S?nchez called "unjust".

Germany announced on Monday a programme of free, mandatory coronavirus testing for travellers returning from a list of high-risk countries. The list currently includes Brazil, Turkey and the US, and officials said it will be updated daily.

What did Mr Wieler say?
    At a press conference on Tuesday, Mr Wieler asked people for the first time to wear a mask outdoors if they cannot maintain a physical distance of at least 1.5 metres (5ft).

Previously the guidance had been to wear masks indoors in public.

Media captionWhat factors determine a potential second wave of Covid-19 infections?
    The head of the RKI said Germans must stop the virus once again spreading "rapidly and uncontrollably" by following hygiene and distancing measures.

"We don't know yet if this is the beginning of a second wave but of course it could be," Mr Wieler said. "But I am optimistic that if we follow the hygiene rules we can prevent it, it's up to us."

How is the virus spreading in Germany?
    Overall, Germany has recorded 206,242 cases and 9,122 deaths.

These numbers - in particular the death toll - are lower than many other European states, and Germany has won praise domestically and internationally for its rapid response to the pandemic and its mass testing programme.

Germany divided as states lift lockdown
    Court overrules lockdown near German meat plant
    But in recent days cases have jumped. New recorded infections increased by 633 on Tuesday, nearly double Monday's rise of 340. Over the last week the country has reported an average of 557 new infections daily, compared with about 350 in early June.

Moreover, the rise is widespread, with counties across the country reporting new cases. An RKI official said that only a few weeks ago nearly 150 counties were reporting no new infections, compared with only 95 counties now.

How are other European countries doing?
    On Monday, Belgium reduced the size of its social bubbles to five people after a rise in cases.

Authorities in the city of Antwerp have imposed a night-time curfew on all but essential workers and have mandated that everyone aged over 12 must wear a mask in public.

Image copyrightREUTERS
    Image caption
    Masks are now mandatory in Antwerp for anyone aged over 12
    Spanish officials are still hoping to get the UK to reverse or amend its quarantine order in a bid to save its embattled tourism industry. New infections remain high in the north-east, although nationally the outbreak remains under control, with few new cases emerging in other regions.

Where can I now go on holiday in the UK?
    What are the quarantine rules for Spain and its islands?
    Nations in southeastern Europe are the continent's worst-affected.

Kosovo reported a record rise of almost 300 new infections on Tuesday, and its public health officials have warned that hospitals and health workers are overwhelmed by the number of cases.

Romania meanwhile has recorded more than 1,000 new cases for the seventh day in a row. The country now has more than 47,000 infections.

Serbia, Albania and North Macedonia are also struggling to contain outbreaks.

But Slovenia and Croatia have reported few infections compared to neighbouring states, and from Tuesday UK travellers can head to Slovenia without having to quarantine when they return.

Meanwhile, in Malta, more than two thirds of a group of 94 migrants rescued in the Mediterranean by the country's coastguard have now tested positive for the virus. The migrants - thought to be from Eritrea, Morocco and Sudan - will remain in quarantine at a reception centre.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...b8861be2fa4849

GOP congressman who frequently refuses to wear a mask tests positive for Covid-19
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 06-28-2021 at 01:17 PM.

https://dallasvoice.com/a-harsh-less...s4ojkczJ7WWrwg

Imagine the sound and vibration of an old-fashioned electric heater going through your whole body. Imagine gasping for air with every step you take. Imagine rubbing Icy Hot all over your head to soothe a painful headache. Imagine your eyes in a bowl of water while you?re still seeing through them. Imagine collapsing and waking up in the ER only to find out COVID-19 attacked your central nervous system, and the doctor had just saved you from a stroke.

If that were the worst of it, it would be bad enough. But that?s not the worst of it. This is the story of one family?s harrowing fight with COVID-19.

Full disclosure: I am a gay conservative, someone that often juggles persecution for my sexuality while being true to my values. Such a combination requires a lot of tenacity to earn respect from either group.

I admit I voted for Donald Trump in 2016. I admit traveling deep into the conspiracy trap over COVID-19. All the defiant behavior of Trump?s more radical and rowdy cult followers, I participated in it. I was a hard-ass that stood up for my ?God-given rights.?

In great haste, I began prognosticating the alphabet soup about this ?scamdemic.? I believed the virus to be a hoax. I believed the mainstream media and the Democrats were using it to create panic, crash the economy and destroy Trump?s chances at re-election.

And so, believing the pandemic to be a hoax, my partner and I hosted family members on Saturday, June 13. On Sunday, June 14, I woke up sick.

By Monday, June 15, my partner and my parents were all sick. That same Monday, my in-laws traveled to witness the birth of their first grandchild. They took with them my father-in-law?s mother and one of my partner?s sisters. That night my father-in-law became ill. Then my mother-in-law and their daughter began feeling sick. So they cut their trip short.

Two days later, my father-in-law?s mother got sick. The new mommy and daddy got sick, too. We all tested positive for COVID-19. Only the newborn was spared.

My father-in-law and I both went to the hospital on June 24. The virus had attacked my central nervous system, and the staff stopped me from having a stroke.

My father-in-law?s mother was admitted a day later. On July 1, she died of COVID-19/pneumonia. The chaplain wanted the family to break the news to my father-in-law, and he learned how his mother lay on her deathbed and then drifted off without any family by her side, even though he was in the room next to hers.

On the day of her funeral, which was July 14, five more of our family members tested positive for the virus. That evening, my father-in-law was put on a ventilator.

You cannot imagine the guilt I feel, knowing that I hosted the gathering that led to so much suffering. You cannot imagine my guilt at having been a denier, carelessly shuffling through this pandemic, making fun of those wearing masks and social distancing. You cannot imagine my guilt at knowing that my actions convinced both our families it was safe when it wasn?t.
    For those who deny the virus exists or who downplay its severity, let me assure you: The coronavirus is very real and extremely contagious. Before you even know you have it, you?ve passed it along to your friends, family, coworkers and neighbors.

And now, husbands, wives and children are being separated. The sick are taking care of the sick while those without symptoms are self-quarantining. I am aware of how my bias could discredit me with some, but trust me, you do not want this virus. And you do not want your loved ones suffering and dying from this because you are taking a ?political stand? or protecting the economy over their lives.

We are all at the precipice of a common heartache.

The next time you?re put out because your favorite spots are closed or because they won?t let you enter without wearing a mask, and you decide to defy them rather than comply because you?re defending your rights and freedoms from being trampled, just remember: Your family and friends may be next.

Is that too harsh? Try imagining someone you care about on life support. Try being the one to pick the only 10 people allowed to attend a funeral for a loved one. But don?t fret; you?ve got time to ponder, because the mortuary is booked out for at least a week.

Now imagine one more thing: That pool party, the mixer or family reunion you?re pushing for resulting in you being cold and alone in a hospital bed, fighting for your life. Imagine the only human contact you feel is a stranger?s rubber glove giving you medication, checking your vitals and changing your diaper.

That is exactly what has happened to our family.

America, this is not going to go away without sacrifice. Either way, we are going to pay a price. Governments are faced with making difficult decisions, and they cannot appease and satisfy everyone.

But to do nothing is to be foolish. To ignore or question the validity of this virus, its contagiousness or the consequences of selfish attitudes is ? at this stage ? completely stupid.

I am calling myself out first, but now this is personal, and I fell on my sword. And I promise you, if we continue being more worried about the disruption to our lives than we are about stopping this virus, not one American will be spared.

Not one.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...QQflUs5RpYnzDM
    Boston Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez described his experience with covid-19 as feeling ?like I was 100 years old.? Now, the 27-year-old left-hander will miss the 2020 season while recovering from a heart issue related to the illness.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/04/us/ma...sks/index.html

A Pennsylvania man is facing charges of attempted criminal homicide after he allegedly shot at an employee of a cigar shop who asked him to wear a mask.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 06-28-2021 at 01:17 PM.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the...other-science/

An Editorial on COVID-19 by David Gorski. I agree.

“I’ve done my own research.”

“Do your own research.”

How many times have you heard various antivaxxers, cranks, advocates of pseudoscience, and conspiracy theorists repeat these phrases, or variants thereof? In medicine, advocates of what I like to call pseudomedicine—a category that encompasses antivaxxers, COVID-19 denialists and conspiracy theorists, cancer quacks, and all manner of other quacks—are particularly prone to claim that they’ve “done their research” about, for instance, vaccines, and that’s why they think the MMR vaccine causes autism and that vaccines cause sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), autoimmune diseases, and all manner of other diseases (and, oh, by the way, their “research” has told them that vaccines don’t protect against disease and “natural immunity is better,” too).

Of course, “doing one’s own research” and then “making up one’s own mind” makes perfect sense when it comes to, for example, choosing a place to live, buying a car, picking a smartphone, and any of a number of decisions we make in our day-to-day lives, although it should be noted that even those decisions are not necessarily so straightforward or easy to research. When it comes to science, the fact is that the vast majority of us are not capable of “doing our own research”. I started thinking about this question again with respect to science-based medicine (and science in general), thanks to an article that bubbled up on social media late last week by former ScienceBlogs blogger Ethan Siegel (who now writes for Forbes), entitled “You Must Not ‘Do Your Own Research’ When It Comes To Science“.
    On “doing your own research”

Before I go on, let me just take a moment to observe that the title of his article is absolutely atrocious and doesn’t quite align with what the article actually says. Nowhere does Siegel tell readers that they “must not do their own research.” It’s a title that seems designed to be clickbaity and to inflame, rather than educate. I’m going to guess that Siegel probably didn’t come up with this title, but rather some Forbes editor looking to make the article sound as controversial as possible. Mission accomplished, as you will see, but at the cost of misunderstanding what the article is about. Moreover, I don’t totally agree with everything in the article (that would be a rarity about any article!), but overall it’s a good summation of the perils and pitfalls of lay people “doing their own research” about medicine and science and why lay people, for the most part, are incapable of correctly “doing their own research” on matters of science.

There are few skeptics, if any, who would disagree with Siegel’s introduction, for instance:

Thread Information