Page 22 of 89 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus pandemic

https://shoalstatler.blogspot.com/20...of-stupid.html

Right now, lads and lassies, I'm glad I live in Lauderdale County and not in Colbert where the likes of Edward (Ed) Bowman live. Bowman never met a conspiracy he didn't like. He even supports forgoing vaccines so your child can die a horrible death. Nice, huh? Bowman claims vaccines contain tissue of aborted fetuses. IQ of 12 or less, Mr. Bowman?

Anyone out there really think Bowman found out about the controversial re-entry ministry by himself? If you do, you should think again. Bowman has a bone to pick with the Colbert County sheriff, and it would be interesting to know just what it is and who put him up to it.

He doesn't like county commissioner David Black either. Most people don't, but Bowman's views stem from Black being homosexual. Dunno if he is or not, but that's beside the point. He could be Steve Douglas and I wouldn't vote for him. Bowman needs to stick to the facts.

Now Bowman has allied himself with the crazy Witt couple. Need I say more? If Ed Bowman tells you something is white, you pretty well know it's going to be black before you ever see it.

https://kimatv.com/news/local/caught...s-mask-mandate

KENNEWICK, Wash. (KEPR) — An altercation at the Kennewick Papa Murphy's from over the weekend is making its rounds on social media.

The video is captioned "Yet another Karen incident in Kennewick Washington. My dad encountered these idiots today at Papa Murphy's."

In the over 5-minute-video, a woman is seen arguing about the Tri-Cities mask mandate.

A warning, there is explicit language in the video.

The woman claims she is hard of hearing, and should not be required to wear a mask, referencing the Americans with Disabilities Act.

The people working repeatedly told the woman they would not be able to serve her without her wearing a mask.

The video continues with the man filming the video telling the woman to back the **** away from him.

He repeatedly calls her Karen in the video, referencing a popular meme.

The woman continues to reference her medical disability and questions whether the employees know the law.

One of the workers tells the woman she can stand outside if she refuses to wear a mask and they will give her her pizza outside.

The woman ends up walking out of the establishment empty handed in the video.

Papa Murphy's did confirm with Action News that the woman was given a pizza.

The man filming then follows her outside, and zooms in on the license plate of the truck she enters.

A man gets out of the driver's side and yells to the camera, asking to be shown the law saying he has to wear a mask.

Action News reached out to the Benton Franklin Health District for their response to the video.

Kathleen Clary-Cooke with BFHD told Action News, "One of the things that we've always included in our messaging about face coverings is always to practice compassion and kindness. And to understand that not everyone can wear a face covering for medical reasons. We would discourage individuals from confronting another person just as a member of the public. Not all medical conditions or disabilities are visible. So just make the assumption that that person cannot wear a face covering. And still practice your own good habits of staying at least six feet away and making sure anytime you leave any business you're washing hands with hand sanitizer. With regards to the businesses, someone from the business should politely inquire as to whether a person has a medical condition or disability. They can't ask about a specific condition or disability, they can't ask for documentation. And then, they still don't have to allow the person in their place of business, but they are encouraged to offer some kind of accommodation. So that would be something like curbside pickup, or delivery, or scheduling an appointment when they could be the only person in the store. It's really about asking politely and for a business that can offer accommodations, to go ahead and do so."

As of Monday evening, the video had over 71,000 views with over 1,300 shares.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-...volve/12473162

A proposal to shift Queensland's border checkpoints further south to relieve traffic delays has been gaining momentum.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk yesterday declared she was sending a letter with a "detailed submission" to New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian.

Late in the day, Ms Berejiklian said she was happy to consider "all options" on moving checkpoints.

While the details are yet to be revealed, experts say some legislative and operational issues would need to be resolved first.

What is actually being proposed?
    Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate has been pushing to move the state border 7 kilometres south, but Ms Palaszczuk is fixed on the idea of only moving the five Gold Coast COVID-19 checkpoints towards the Tweed River.

"It would make it much easier operationally, it would keep those two communities together and of course they will remain NSW residents," Ms Palaszczuk said.

"I'm just trying to make it easier for people, but of course if the NSW Government is against it, they're against it. I hope they give it consideration."

What could it involve?
    Matthew Burke from Griffith University's Cities Research Institute said state borders were designed to be "frictionless" and not used for border checks — hence the lengthy traffic delays.

"I think the managers are doing the best they can," he said.

"These borders were set up very quickly, they were not designed for stop-and-go control operations, and we've done really well in improving the system.

Queensland COVID-19 snapshot:
    Confirmed cases so far: 1,072
    Deaths: 6
    Patients tested: 461,932
    Latest information from Queensland Health.

"The issues are about the width that we have available for stop-and-control operations exactly at the border."

If border checkpoints were shifted further south, authorities could possibly do "multi-level processing", Dr Burke said.

"If we can do that safely, so we're not endangering police and others, hopefully we can increase the flow."

Dr Burke said an expensive solution would be to expand the number of border checkpoints or build bespoke physical infrastructure.

"But if it only [lasted] six months, it'd be pretty ineffective," he said.

Coronavirus latest: Follow all the latest information in our COVID-19 live blog.
    Another possible idea is to inform the public about the peak times for queuing.

"If we were able to tell people what to avoid, where they could get an easier run through and where they're likely to be caught in traffic, we could really thin out that traffic demand and moderate those queues, manage them a lot better," he said.

But that still left the issue of pedestrian traffic.

"There are a number of pedestrians who cross the border every day — including school children — so working out some bespoke solutions for that cohort I think is an important thing," Dr Burke said.

Motorists queue at a police checkpoint on the Queensland-NSW border on the Gold Coast.
    Ms Palaszczuk is eager to take action to relieve the stress and anger of border residents.(ABC News: Tim Swanston)
    Does the constitution allow it?
    The state borders themselves are fixed, but University of Queensland constitutional law expert Nicholas Aroney said there was nothing in the constitution stopping the states from repositioning the checkpoints.

But the bottom line would be cooperation.

"They are able to make laws that have extraterritorial effect [but] their ability to execute those laws outside their state depends on cooperation between the states," he said.

"A solution can always be found. The difficulty is doing it quickly because it may require changes in legislation — or it may not. It depends on what the legislation says."

Who would control the checkpoints?
    Because it's all about protecting the Queensland border, the State Government believes it should be handled by the Queensland Police Service.

Coronavirus questions answered
    An illustration of a cell on an orange background with the word 'coronacast' overlayed.
    Breaking down the latest news and research to understand how the world is living through an epidemic, this is the ABC's Coronacast podcast.

Read more
    But shifting the checkpoints would also present some issues to be thrashed out.

For example, Deputy Commissioner Steve Gollschewski told ABC Radio Brisbane that Queensland's Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young's directions only applied within the state.

"Anything that will make it work better for our community and keep it effective at keeping COVID out of our state would be really good but of course there's a lot of legal and operational issues with this that would have to be worked through," he said.

He said "industrious" officers on the Gold Coast have been looking at every option from the beginning and have a good relationship with their counterparts across the Tweed River.

"Of course, if we back things up into the Tweed, it impacts onto NSW as well," Deputy Commissioner Gollschewski said.

Will NSW go for it?
    The devil may yet be in the detail, which the NSW Premier stressed yesterday she was yet to see from the Queensland Government.

A woman addresses the media
    Gladys Berejiklian says she remains unclear on what is being proposed.(AAP Image: Joel Carrett)
    Ms Berejiklian told reporters she had received a "short text" from the Queensland Premier only that morning.

"I'm unclear as to what the Queensland Government is asking us to do because they've not communicated that yet," she said.

"I've heard through the media that I'm receiving the letter, so I look forward to that letter."

She said she was happy to consider all options — and "do the right thing" by residents on both sides — but did not believe the border should be relocated.

"If anything the border should be moved north," she said.

https://www.wave3.com/2020/07/17/har...olation-order/

HARDIN COUNTY, Ky. (WAVE) - A Hardin County couple is now on house arrest after one of them tested positive for COVID-19 and decided not to sign documents agreeing to self-quarantine.

Last week, Elizabeth Linscott got tested for the COVID-19 because she was planning to visit her parents in Michigan.

“My grandparents wanted to see me, too,” Linscott said. “So just to make sure if they tested negative, that they would be OK, everything would be fine.”

After testing positive but without showing any symptoms, Linscott said the health department contacted her and requested she sign documents that will limit her traveling anywhere unless she calls the health department first. She said she chose to not sign the documents.

“My part was if I have to go to the ER, if I have to go to the hospital, I’m not going to wait to get the approval to go,” she said.

But Linscott said she would take necessary precautions if she needed to go to the hospital, like letting workers know she has recently tested positive for COVID-19.

A couple of days after she denied signing the Self-isolation and Controlled Movement Agreed Order, Linscott said the Hardin County Sheriff’s Department arrived at her home without warning. Her husband, Isaiah, was home.

”I open up the door and there’s like eight different people,” he said. “Five different cars and I’m like what the heck’s going on? This guy’s in a suit with a mask, it’s the health department guy and he has three different papers for us. For me, her and my daughter."

The couple was ordered to wear ankle monitors. If they travel more than 200 feet, law enforcement will be notified.

“We didn’t rob a store, we didn’t steal something, we didn’t hit and run, we didn’t do anything wrong,” Elizabeth Linscott said.

The couple said they never denied self-quarantining, they just didn’t agree with the wording of the documents..

”That’s exactly what the Director of the Public Health Department told the judge, that I was refusing to self-quarantine because of this and that was not the case at all,” Linscott said. “I never said that.”

The Linscotts said they plan to get an attorney.

WAVE 3 News reached out to the Hardin County Health Department but has not heard back.

https://abc7.com/health/ca-surpasses...cases/6328903/

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- California's confirmed coronavirus cases have topped 409,000, surpassing New York for most in the nation.

John's Hopkins University data showed Wednesday that California now has about 1,200 more cases than New York.

However, New York's 72,302 deaths are by far the highest total in the country and nine times more than California's tally, and its rate of confirmed infections of about 2,100 per 100,000 people is twice California's rate.

California is by far the most populous U.S. state, at nearly 40 million people, while New York has about 19.5 million.

"We're doing all we can to make sure that we control the rate of spread, despite crossing 400,000 cases in California," state Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly said Tuesday. "In the end I really expect and hope California is going to be the state that adapted the most, learned the most and prepared the best."

U.S. government data published Tuesday found that reported and confirmed coronavirus cases vastly underestimate the true number of infections, echoing results from a smaller study last month. The United States also has had consistent testing failures that experts say contribute to an undercount of the actual virus rate.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study says true COVID-19 rates were more than 10 times higher than reported cases in most U.S. regions from late March to early May. It is based on COVID-19 antibody tests performed on routine blood samples in 16,000 people in 10 U.S. regions.

https://fox40.com/news/local-news/va...vid-19-orders/

VACAVILLE, Calif. (KTXL) – Barbering and cosmetology guidelines were released Monday by industry officials following Governor Gavin Newsom’s approval for barbers and salons to offer services outdoors.

“Look, I was a Marine, I was a law enforcement officer and I’m just an American. And it’s un-American to be afraid, live in fear. We’re not going to be told what to do,” said Juan Demarais, the owner of Primo’s Barbershop in downtown Vacaville.

When the governor initially ordered all salons and barbershops to close, Demarais’ shop stayed open.

So, when the governor consented Monday to allow salons and barbershops to continue working with approved services moved outdoor, Demarais said it really made no difference.

“I wasn’t surprised at all. I mean, I saw it coming,” said Demarais.

The Department of Consumer Affairs and the Board of Barbering and Cosmetology issued guidance Monday recognizing that some barbering and cosmetology services may be safely performed outdoors as an option to help people get back to work in counties where indoor operations are closed, while still preventing the spread of COVID-19.

But the services still prohibited include all chemical hair services, such as perms, relaxers, coloring and dyeing, as well as shampooing and electrolysis.

For some salons, they said those prohibited services make up to 75% of their business.

“He’s going to allow whatever he feels is OK to go on, like rioting and looting. And he’s going to break the backs of small businesses just to make himself feel better,” said Demarais. “Honestly, I don’t care what he says.”

Demarais said business owners, especially of smaller businesses, should stand in solidarity and fight to stay open.

“It’s about providing for our children. It’s about providing for our families. A lot of my barbers are young fathers, young mothers and they have responsibilities,” said Demarais. “We’re not asking for a handout, we’re not asking for assistance, we’re asking to be left alone and work.”

On cell.

Not wearing mask shaming: Everyone definitely needs to have more compassion and understanding for those that can't wear a mask. My friend's son is autistic, blind, not very verbal, and is a hitter. I'm pretty sure it would be hard to force him to wear a mask.

Checkpoint issue: Checkpoints don't work if they're not open 24/7. The one that was on I-95, GA/FL border was a waste of time, because they closed for lunch. Hundreds of New Yorkers probably drove through without stopping, because the checkpoint was closed. I hope Queensland can do a better job.

Not signing quarantine documents: Again compassion and understanding. They should've been asked why they weren't signing and maybe the couple should've asked for clarification. This is becoming a nannying country. I think it's a waste of resources to have a cop sitting outside of a house especially if the couple were going to take precautions. We've all been to the DMV (example of how slow the government is) and know it takes forever to get your license. This poor girl could've had breathing problems and to wait for the ok to go to the hospital, she could be dead by then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    On cell.

Not wearing mask shaming: Everyone definitely needs to have more compassion and understanding for those that can't wear a mask. My friend's son is autistic, blind, not very verbal, and is a hitter. I'm pretty sure it would be hard to force him to wear a mask.

I get that not everyone can wear a mask, but the ADA doesn't allow the exemptions that people think they do. A store can still ban you, they just have to accommodate you in another way (bring stuff out to you, or provide a time when just people with ADA exemptions can shop). The people with the supposed ADA exemptions think they can come in without a mask and the stores and other people have no rights to stop them, which isn't true.

This isn't something simple like having to walk further because the handicapped parking spots are the only ones near a building...this is other people's life and death.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I get that not everyone can wear a mask, but the ADA doesn't allow the exemptions that people think they do. A store can still ban you, they just have to accommodate you in another way (bring stuff out to you, or provide a time when just people with ADA exemptions can shop). The people with the supposed ADA exemptions think they can come in without a mask and the stores and other people have no rights to stop them, which isn't true.

This isn't something simple like having to walk further because the handicapped parking spots are the only ones near a building...this is other people's life and death.
    Is this like people with an emotional support dog that think they can take their dog everywhere?
    I understand it's life or death. I'm constantly on my husband about wearing a mask while working which I hope he does. He's talked about only wearing it when he can't socially distance, but I've told him, someone sneezes and you walk through that area an hour later, you can catch it. Men!

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Is this like people with an emotional support dog that think they can take their dog everywhere?
    I understand it's life or death. I'm constantly on my husband about wearing a mask while working which I hope he does. He's talked about only wearing it when he can't socially distance, but I've told him, someone sneezes and you walk through that area an hour later, you can catch it. Men!
    That's a good analogy. People take something that is valid, and then think they can use it to do whatever they want, and threaten to sue when people don't let them; not realizing that the accommodations are actually very limited and rules still have to be followed.

That's a good analogy. People take something that is valid, and then think they can use it to do whatever they want, and threaten to sue when people don't let them; not realizing that the accommodations are actually very limited and rules still have to be followed.
    Yeah. An emotional support animal isn't the same as a service animal.

I keep on seeing people wearing their masks wrong and its driving me nuts!

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I keep on seeing people wearing their masks wrong and its driving me nuts!
    I made that comment in the election post. Lol!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...id=mailsignout

Delta and United are doubling down on mask requirements, calling out phony medical exemptions and banning passengers
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 06-28-2021 at 12:14 PM.

Delta and United are doubling down on mask requirements, calling out phony medical exemptions and banning passengers
    Congrats to United and Delta though. However I expect coughing assault videos on TSA agents to happen over mask orders at the airport and its going to be crazy from here though.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/22/dr-a...radicated.html

White House coronavirus advisor Dr. Anthony Fauci said Wednesday it is unlikely the coronavirus will ever be eradicated.

While the virus will not disappear, it?s possible world leaders and public health officials could work to bring the virus down to ?low levels,? the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said during an interview with the TB Alliance.

?I think with a combination of good public health measures, a degree of global herd immunity and a good vaccine, which I do hope and feel cautiously optimistic that we will get, I think when we put all three of those together, we will get control of this, whether it?s this year or next year. I?m not certain,? he said.

But, he added, ?I don?t really see us eradicating it.?

Fauci?s comments are at odds with President Donald Trump, who reiterated his claim Tuesday evening that the virus would disappear. The president?s remark comes amid warnings from experts, including at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, that Covid-19 cases and deaths could rise this fall.

?The virus will disappear. It will disappear,? Trump said during a White House briefing on the pandemic.

The coronavirus is not disappearing and continues to rapidly spread across the U.S. The virus has infected more than 3.9 million people in the country, killing at least 142,090 as of Wednesday, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Texas and Florida hit grim records Monday for daily coronavirus deaths based on a seven-day moving average, as hospitalizations continue to surge in 34 states.

Fauci said the virus is unlike SARS, a coronavirus that emerged in the early 2000s and was contained. He said Covid-19 is incredibly efficient in transmitting from human to human and can produce a wide range of symptoms in people. He said it?s unlikely the virus will change into something like the common cold.

?I have never seen infection in which you have such a broad range literally no symptoms at all in a substantial proportion of the population to some who get ill with minor symptoms to some who get ill enough to be in bed for weeks,? he said. ?Others get hospitalized, require oxygen, intensive care, ventilation and death. The involvement with the same pathogen is very unique.?

Fauci said officials have to do better in containing the virus as states attempt to reopen. On Tuesday, he said state officials should adopt mask mandates and close bars. He said Wednesday that U.S. health officials do not see ?an end in sight? to the pandemic.

?We are certainly not at the end of the game? of the pandemic, Fauci said. ?Certainly we are not winning the game right now. We are not beating it.?

On Tuesday, Trump said the pandemic in the United States will probably ?get worse before it gets better.?

?That?s something I don?t like saying about things, but that?s the way it is, it?s what we have,? he said. ?You look over the world, it?s all over the world.?

However, he said he would not call for a nationwide shutdown, saying it would be ?completely unsustainable, produce debilitating economic fallback and lead to catastrophic public health consequences.

He said the U.S. only initially shut down to prevent hospitals from overflowing and to give the public officials more time to secure the equipment and supplies needed to fight it, like ventilators.

Earlier this month, Fauci said U.S. coronavirus cases are surging because the nation didn?t totally shut down. However, he has indicated the country might not need an ?absolute shutdown? right now.

Fuck I have to get my almost 3 year old to wear one. He hates it and takes it off. FML.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Update get your updates on COVID-19 from this crew!

https://fox2now.com/news/facebook-po...an-be-harmful/

CHOCTAW, Okla. (KFOR) — A Facebook post of the mask policy of an Oklahoma doctor’s office has caused a social media stir.

The post features a picture of a mask policy that appears to be from Choctaw Family Medicine & Aesthetics.

In the policy, Choctaw’s Dr. Cary Carpenter apparently tells patients that wearing a mask for a long time is bad for you, saying, “MASKS are not designed to be worn all day long and have been proven to be harmful to your health if worn for extended periods of time.”

The policy also says his staff “has the option of wearing masks,” stating that they have “very good” immune systems.

University of Oklahoma Medicine Chief of Infectious Diseases Dr. Douglas Drevets refutes the idea that masks are harmful.

“The answer is in general, no, they are not harmful to you. They are not harmful to other people,” Drevets said.

Drevets agreed that the immune system plays a part in battling the virus, but said the clinic’s policy on that misses the point.

“That is true. In fact, most people’s immune system will be strong enough to fight off the virus without serious problems,” Drevets said. “The issues really are that when you’re doing that, you are going to be able to transmit the virus to other people for some period of time and that’s the critical thing.”

The post also says Choctaw Family Medicine believes it saw cases of COVID-19 in November 2019, something Drevets says is possible but highly unlikely.

According to the CDC, the first reported case of the virus in the United States was in late January of this year.

The policy no longer appears on the office’s Facebook page, but a recent post says the picture of the policy was removed because of comments from non-patients.

Though it was taken down, the office said, “We stand by the post and its message.”

There was no immediate response to requests to interview Carpenter.

https://abc7.com/health/las-covid-19...range/6330709/

Update for Los Angeles COVID-19 threat levels

TWEET
    EMAIL
    CORONAVIRUS LOS ANGELES
    LA Mayor Garcetti: 'We are not closing any additional businesses or activities' as COVID-19 threat level remains at orange
    Mayor Eric Garcetti says Los Angeles remains at the city's COVID-19 threat level orange, which means people should continue to take precautions and minimize contact with others as much as possible.
    By John Gregory
    Updated 2 hours ago
    Ad Duration00:00
    Pause
    Current time00:47
    Seek

00:00
    Duration02:41
    Toggle Mute
    Volume

SettingsToggle Fullscreen
    EMBED <>MORE VIDEOS
    Mayor Eric Garcetti says Los Angeles remains at the city's COVID-19 threat level orange, which means people should continue to take precautions and minimize contact with others as much as possible.

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Mayor Eric Garcetti says Los Angeles remains at the city's COVID-19 threat level orange, which means a second mandatory stay-at-home order will not be announced this week, but people should continue to take precautions and minimize contact with others as much as possible.

The city's coronavirus cases, hospitalizations and positivtiy rate remain high. L.A. officials on Tuesday reported 1,133 new cases and 15 additional deaths, bringing the city's total to 67,232 cases and 1,967 deaths.

"We are not moving to red, we are not closing any additional businesses or activities," Garcetti said. "As I've communicated every single time, it takes three weeks or so to see the effect of our actions -- both when we open, and also when we restrict."

City officials have pointed to the July 4 holiday weekend as a contributing factor in the recent surge.

RELATED: LA's rise in COVID-19 cases due in part to July 4, officials say

COVID-19 is close to becoming the No. 1 killer in L.A. County, second only to heart disease. But health officials say the virus is closing in fast, and much more deadly than the common flu.

Garcetti also discussed how much the city is paying for testing. The mayor is hopeful the federal government will reimburse the city for some of the testing costs.

Garcetti reiterated his admission on Sunday that L.A. reopened too quickly and again warned that the city was "on the brink" of new shutdown orders as the coronavirus continues to surge in California.

"I do think that we all can see in retrospect that some things did open up too quickly. That we didn't stick with the methodology of do something and wait three weeks and see the effect, then take the next step. It became kind of a domino effect with, as I call it, an irrational exuberance of everybody thinking we can rush back to normal."

RELATED: Garcetti: LA reopened too quickly; new stay-at-home orders likely

Though a second citywide shutdown has not been announced, officials are urging people to continue to wear face coverings and practice physical distancing.

Health officials are also reminding people that the virus does not discriminate, with younger people accounting for 57% of new COVID-19 cases in L.A. county. County Public Health Director Dr. Barbara Ferrer said individuals in that age group appear to have taken a cavalier approach toward protections against the potentially deadly virus.

https://abc7.com/health/richer-areas...-show/6329349/

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Communities of color in many major cities have less access to COVID-19 testing sites than white residents living in wealthier areas in those same cities, according to a new, extensive review of testing sites by ABC-owned television stations and FiveThirtyEight.

"I welcome the attention by the media and by many well-intentioned organizations to really point the spotlight at it, to push people to ask the hard questions about what's being done," said Dr. Christina Ghaly, the director of Los Angeles County Department of Health Services.

As a result of an aggressive expansion of the statewide testing capacity, Ghaly and her team have managed to at least narrow some of these disparities.

Using data provided by the health care navigation company Castlight Health (the same data that Google Maps and Apple Maps use to surface COVID-19 testing sites), this analysis showed sites in the poorer urban centers of Los Angeles were estimated to have greater community need than sites in the relatively wealthier suburbs outside the city, as well as in Pasadena, though to a lesser degree.

Since California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced an increase in testing capacity back in late April, the state has also significantly ramped up testing in underserved communities, setting up close to 100 state-supported community sites in its Black and brown neighborhoods and lower-income neighborhoods.

That expansion appears to have helped, according to our analysis of testing data from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health. Testing in Los Angeles County was initially far more unequal, but seems to be getting better.

At the end of April, mostly white cities and communities in Los Angeles County had, on average, more than 1,200 tests completed per 100,000 people. That was about 65% more completed tests than communities of color.

After Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti announced free COVID-19 testing for everyone in the county, the number of tests administered tripled.

A month later, the racial testing gap had shrunk to just about 25% between the most-white areas and the least white. About 6,200 tests per 100,000 people were completed in whiter areas and about 5,000 tests per 100,000 people in less white areas.

Ghaly said if she had to put her finger on one factor that has helped close this gap, it would be the "willingness of government at many levels."

"The Board of Supervisors has been incredibly supportive in using its funding available within the county to fund continued access at testing sites," she said.

Since April, California has scaled up its statewide testing capacity from just 2,000 tests per day to more than 100,000 now, and has completed nearly 4.8 million tests since the pandemic began, the state's health department spokesperson told ABC News and FiveThirtyEight.

But what went into choosing those initial testing sites?

"It's a good question," Ghaly said. "I think at the beginning when there's not data to drive the decision, you end up citing things based on just logistical and feasibility factors. Individuals or cities or communities that are coming forward and offering insights for testing. Partners where there's already an established relationship, and there's an easy and quick ability to be able to set up the infrastructure for testing."

As cases and hospitalizations hit new records in the past couple weeks, however, the state is again struggling with testing capacity. The governor late last week issued a new advisory to hospitals and labs, asking them to prioritize testing turnaround for individuals who are most at risk of spreading the virus to others.

Ghaly said in LA County they are trying to learn from the data and "use it to do better in the future."

"This should be a constant process that any organization, but certainly government, goes through to look at and be critical...so that there can be progress."

Contributing: The nationwide data analysis and additional reporting for this story was contributed by a team, including Soo Rin Kim and Matthew Vann of ABC News and Laura Bronner of FiveThirtyEight. The full analysis is here and an explanation of how we did it can be found here.

Southwest CEO: Masks should be required everywhere. Like pants.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 06-28-2021 at 12:15 PM.

https://fox40.com/news/local-news/fo...-19-diagnosis/

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KTXL) — Former Sacramento City Councilman Robbie Waters is fighting for his life after testing positive for COVID-19.

“We just got off the phone with one of his nurses and we just got a report that they had reduced the amount of oxygen that he’d been getting,” explained Waters’ daughter, Dee Dee Earl, on Wednesday.

The family of the longtime, former councilman said it was an incredible change to hear, since their father was admitted into the ICU on Monday.

They were thrilled to see him via FaceTime just the night before for the first time in weeks.

Waters took a fall at his home on June 30, which required a partial hip replacement.

“He was very coherent, very joking, teasing, which he always has been. Evidently, before I got here, wasn’t that scene,” said Waters’ son, Darren Waters. “He was not able to communicate. So with the exception of having the oxygen mask, he looks the same.”

“We joked that he looks like a little rugged Clint Eastwood. He has the gray goatee beard and his hair was all combed,” Earl told FOX40. “It was just great time being able to see him and he was joking with us. He got to see his dog, his beloved Joey. So, it was really special for us.”

After surgery to repair his hip, Robbie Waters was moved to an assisted nursing facility for rehabilitation on July 8.

Although they are not certain how or where their dad contracted the virus, the family said they’ve since learned that multiple residents and staff from the nursing facility in Sacramento have tested positive for the virus.

One thing they know for certain about their dad is that he’s a fighter and has always been the pillar of the family.

He’s gone from being a husband and a father to a cop and an investigator, then eventually to a sheriff and a council member.

“He loved what he did,” Earl said. “Pretty incredible to see him start out as a beat cop and make it all the way to the top cop in the county.”

They said they’re amazed how their 84-year-old father is able to be so unrelenting in his fight to beat the virus.

“He fights and he fights hard,” Earl said.

They said their mother, Judy, who has been married to their dad for 60 years, is also resilient and unwavering in the face of uncertainty. Although she didn’t want to come on camera, she expressed the hardship with help from her daughter.

“It hasn’t been easy,” Judy Waters said.

“She’s over here crying. She says it hasn’t been easy to be here. She’s struggling most with the fact that he’s there by himself and she’s so sad that he can’t have any visitors,” Earl told FOX40.

“She would be right by his side if she could.”

https://www.kron4.com/health/coronav...mask-mandates/

WASHINGTON (NEXSTAR) — With the U.S. tally of confirmed COVID-19 infections at nearly 4 million, 30 U.S. states now have mask orders in place with Ohio, Indiana, Minnesota and Oregon becoming the latest to announce statewide mandatory mask orders.

Earlier this week, the number of people confirmed to be infected worldwide passed a staggering 15 million, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. The U.S. leads the world in cases as well as deaths, which have exceeded 142,000.

New York, once by far the U.S. leader in infections and one of the first states to issue a mask mandate, has been surpassed by California in case numbers, though that is partly due to robust testing in a state with more than twice the population of New York.

Here’s the latest list of states with mask mandates in effect:

Alabama
    Arkansas
    California
    Colorado
    Connecticut
    Delaware
    Hawaii
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Montana
    Nevada
    New Jersey
    New Mexico
    New York
    North Carolina
    Ohio
    Oregon
    Pennsylvania
    Rhode Island
    Texas
    Virginia
    Washington
    West Virginia
    Earlier this week, President Donald Trump tweeted out a picture of himself wearing a mask and describing the act as “patriotic.”

“I have no problem with the masks,” Trump said during a Tuesday press briefing. “I view it this way: Anything that potentially can help, and that certainly can potentially help, is a good thing. I have no problem. I carry it, I wear it … and I’ll continue,” he added.

The comments were an about-face for the president, who, for months, resisted wearing a face covering in public. Even as top public health officials, who initially had advised the public not to wear masks, became convinced that face coverings could effectively halt the spread of the virus and begged the public to embrace them, Trump resisted.

On Wednesday, Washington, D.C., Mayor Muriel Bowser issued an executive order making face masks mandatory outside homes.

D.C. officials said the mask requirement can’t be enforced on federal property. Trump, when asked at a Wednesday afternoon news conference if he would compel federal employees to comply with the mask order, said, “We’re going to make a decision over the next 24 hours.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    Here are the states that have issued a mask mandate.

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/ca...rder-on-kauai/

A Pacific Grove, CA man has been accused of Violating Hawaii's shelter in place order.

LIHUE, Hawaii (KHON2) — A California man was arrested in suspicion of violating the state’s 14-day quarantine emergency rules.

The man was identified as 43-year-old Michael Pectol of Pacific Grove, California.

According to Kauai County officials, he arrived on a direct Delta Airlines flight from Los Angeles International Airport around 5:20 p.m.

“When he arrived, he attempted to deceive our police detectives into believing that he was going to make the proper accommodations at a local hotel for the duration of his quarantine period,” said Patrol Services Bureau Assistant Chief Mark Begley. “But when the detectives followed up on the matter, it was determined that he did not make proper accommodations and was attempting to avoid the Governor’s requirement.”

Pectol was later arrested around 8 p.m. and after receiving a medical evaluation and clearance at Wilcox Hospital, was taken to Kauai Police Department’s detention center where he is currently being held on $1,000 bail.

KPD has made 48 arrests to-date for violations of the 14-day quarantine emergency rules. All individuals who are arrested are subject to up to one year in jail and/or up to $5,000 in fines.

Kauai police and Hawai‘i National Guard personnel continue to maintain a daily checkpoint at the Lihue Airport where all visitors and returning residents are required to stop after arriving on the island.

Thread Information