Page 2 of 89 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    You should have called "solid waste enforcement." Seriously, it's a thing here. Within the last 10 years or so the city garbage dept (sorry, Solid Waste Division) switch to an automated pickup system where you are issued one of several standard sized containers. All your trash, not including yard waste must fit in your standard can. If you have too much you will be billed extra, too little and you can ask for a smaller can (with smaller bill). Fine. So my friend all of a sudden started getting billed for overfilling her can, which she was not. Shortly before this started, she had been considering requesting the small can because she seldom more than half filled her can. So she had her housebound son start watching the can on garbage day and sure enough, her scummy neighbors were sneaking over after she left for work and adding trash to her can and to several other cans in the neighborhood. Well! So she called SWE and asked what they could do about this. Next week a man showed up just ahead of the garbage truck and inspected all the cans in the neighborhood. Apparently found bills, junk mail etc., belonging to scummy neighbors in many of the cans. That very day, SN got a new very large (the biggest residential sized can) delivered to their house along with a corresponding increased bill. The Garbage inspector called my friend and thanked her for her assistance as garbage scoff laws are taken seriously.
    Holy crap, that's some serious enforcement right there! If we had something like that I wouldn't have to resort to the passive-aggressive desecration of my trash can with paint and permanent markers to make it less attractive to my thieving neighbor.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Holy crap, that's some serious enforcement right there! If we had something like that I wouldn't have to resort to the passive-aggressive desecration of my trash can with paint and permanent markers to make it less attractive to my thieving neighbor.
    Jerry takes things seriously. I'm sure he'd have done DNA and fingerprints if it had been necessary to prove his case. But to be fair scummy neighbors were lazy and just put their trash on top. If they'd had the sense to bury it or to throw things with addresses in their own can they would have been harder to catch.

HMMM I wonder if we could put him in charge of coronavirus testing and quarantine enforcement?
    Last edited by puzzld; 03-01-2020 at 07:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    So, I am really confused based on all the things I have seen. If you get sick, do you go to the doctor since they don't have the tests for it? If you are young(ish) and healthy and you get it, do you go to the hospital?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/01/healt...cdc/index.html
    Sounds like tests will be available very shortly.

How to protect yourself

Do not go to the emergency room unless essential. Emergency rooms need to be able to serve those with the most critical needs. If you have symptoms like cough, fever, or other respiratory problems, contact your regular doctor first.
    Stay home when sick
    Practice excellent personal hygiene habits, including handwashing, coughing into tissue or elbow, avoid touching eyes, nose, or mouth.
    Stay informed. Information is changing frequently.

Public Health says the symptoms for COVID-19 are similar to the flu and the common cold. That's why it's important for you to call your primary care doctor first.
    https://q13fox.com/2020/03/01/two-mo...n-king-county/
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Sounds like tests will be available very shortly. https://q13fox.com/2020/03/01/two-mo...n-king-county/
    It's really scary because what if you do have a cold/regular flu....or what if it's not??? Ayyaya. So confusing. It sounds like it can turn on a dime, and if you think you just have a cold, but it's really the the COVID-19, and you waited too long to go to the hospital. I also think the hospital will be a bad place to be, so it's not like I think most people would want to go there right away, but if you wait too long it could be bad too. Just thinking out loud.

I am concerned about my husband's job and the several hundred people he is exposed to every day on the airplane. Ugh. He isn't worried, but I am .

Sams club was absolutely packed this weekend. It's usually busy first weekend of the month, but this was more like just before Christmas... and there were no Kleenex. They had the nasty Puffs with lotion and the Members Mark but no Kleenex Brands.

I even saw a couple of people in face masks, which is not normal around here.
    It's really scary because what if you do have a cold/regular flu....or what if it's not??? Ayyaya. So confusing. It sounds like it can turn on a dime, and if you think you just have a cold, but it's really the the COVID-19, and you waited too long to go to the hospital. I also think the hospital will be a bad place to be, so it's not like I think most people would want to go there right away, but if you wait too long it could be bad too. Just thinking out loud.

I am concerned about my husband's job and the several hundred people he is exposed to every day on the airplane. Ugh. He isn't worried, but I am .
    Yeah. I think the hospital would be risky if a local outbreak happens. Roomie has an appointment with a pulmanologist later this month and I'm kind of side eyeing that.

The Food and Drug Administration announced on Saturday that it was giving laboratories and hospitals across the country the go-ahead to conduct tests, and on Sunday, Vice President Mike Pence said the federal government released 15,000 testing kits over the weekend, and was working with a ?commercial provider? to distribute 50,000 more soon.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/01/u...-kR7lrY36BP66E

meanwhile...
    South Korea had tested a total of 66,652 people for the COVID-19 coronavirus virus as of 4 p.m. local time Thursday, whereas Japan had reported administering roughly 1,890 tests and the U.S. only 445. The huge discrepancy compared to other countries reflects how quickly South Korea?s numbers have been rising, experts say.

The total number of confirmed cases so far in South Korea is 1,766, up 505 from the day before. Of the 66,00 people who have been tested, more than 25,000 are still awaiting lab results.
    https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=69226222

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    My concern is that they have people so frantic over just a handful of cases here that when the real numbers come out it will be chaos. If people are buying out Costco with only a few confirmed cases, what kind of rioting is going to happen when the numbers hit the tens of thousands?

I'm genuinely concerned about my business and being able to sustain an income with all of this. If people stay home, they don't need their dogs walked and it doesn't even have to take a mandatory quarantine for that to happen. If they can work from home, they might opt for that just to be safe. We've already had a couple of people cancel trips overseas that would have paid big money. It's a real fear I have right now.

I fear that more than the actual virus and I'm immune compromised. Just the panic alone could ruin my entire income and life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I'm going to be at UCSF next week, will let you guys know if I end up with the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    My concern is that they have people so frantic over just a handful of cases here that when the real numbers come out it will be chaos. If people are buying out Costco with only a few confirmed cases, what kind of rioting is going to happen when the numbers hit the tens of thousands?

<snip>

I fear that more than the actual virus and I'm immune compromised. Just the panic alone could ruin my entire income and life.
    Exactly. I fear the overreaction more than the actual virus. I'm scheduled for an eastward migration via sea in two weeks, but people are going crazy and countries aren't letting some ships dock and, and, and..... sigh.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

There is definitely a fine line between being knowledgeable and prepared and losing your fucking mind. Sadly as we have seen in the past the latter will undoubtedly take hold for some. If people are going overboard with 'stocking up' some of these people will inevitably be the ones rushing ERs, urgent cares, doctors offices more than once for testing when they aren't even sick.

Exactly. I fear the overreaction more than the actual virus. I'm scheduled for an eastward migration via sea in two weeks, but people are going crazy and countries aren't letting some ships dock and, and, and..... sigh.
    See, I can see the actual worry with this. Because coming back from anywhere overseas right now leaves you open to quarantine even if nobody is showing signs of anything. So I get that. Nobody wants to be locked on an army base for three weeks after their vacation. People aren't worried about really getting anything just at being held against their will. That shit, I understand.

It's the hoarding water and toilet paper and thinking that masks actually help you so spending hundreds (if not thousands) for "supplies". Maybe it's because I'm already prepoed for an Earthquake that doesn't have me worried? Or maybe it's I realize that my water taps will still work regardless of who gets sick.

There's real life consequences to hyping this shit up beyond what it's capable of. This isn't the apocalypse.

I've been wondering about BWS. She had an opportunity to go to Vietnam to teach some medical students. It's been planned for a long time. I saw her FB pics from when she was there, but haven't seen anything else. She was there during the time they had their outbreak. I am wondering if she is in quarantine of some sort? Come back and talk to us BWS!

It's the hoarding water and toilet paper and thinking that masks actually help you so spending hundreds (if not thousands) for "supplies". Maybe it's because I'm already prepoed for an Earthquake that doesn't have me worried? Or maybe it's I realize that my water taps will still work regardless of who gets sick.
    See, I was trying to figure this out yesterday. I get why people stock up on water during the hurricanes...there's a good chance, especially is you have a well which a lot of people here do, that you may not have water after the storm. But I am at a loss on why people at the store were buying 10 cases of water yesterday.

Maybe it's like the old adage of the midwife having the father boil water when the baby is coming...just something to keep people busy because they don't know what else to do???

See, I was trying to figure this out yesterday. I get why people stock up on water during the hurricanes...there's a good chance, especially is you have a well which a lot of people here do, that you may not have water after the storm. But I am at a loss on why people at the store were buying 10 cases of water yesterday.

Maybe it's like the old adage of the midwife having the father boil water when the baby is coming...just something to keep people busy because they don't know what else to do???
    People are paranoid that it's going to get in to the water supply. Again, it's panic with no solid basis.

There's real life consequences to hyping this shit up beyond what it's capable of. This isn't the apocalypse.
    THIS.

And we can thank the news media for stirring up the panic before the US had a single confirmed case of the coronavirus.

I can't wrap my head around the fear of COVID19 vs the lack of concern toward the flu (also 'incurable'), which kills tens of thousands of people every year. Maybe if we feared the flu as much as we fear the coronavirus and took the proper precautions there wouldn't be tens of thousands of flu deaths every year.

Those of us with compromised immune systems, as well as those who live in areas vulnerable to natural disasters, are probably better prepared (mentally and materially) to deal with the challenges of a pandemic - we're used to the inconvenience. My elderly mother - with two large freezers filled to capacity and a pantry with [literally] hundreds of cans/containers of dry goods - is in an absolute panic over this because she's afraid they'll close the grocery stores. She heard about that possibility on the news and hasn't let go of the idea. She's hoarding as we speak.

ETA: If I end up dying from COVID19, I give permission for all of you to laugh at me in an MDS article titled: "MDS COVID-19 Denier KimTisha Dies from the Virus.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 03-03-2020 at 05:30 AM.

Yeah. Being prepared is one thing. Going full "preper" is something else again. We generally do a "big shop" once a month. Because we get paid once a month. So you get the Tpaper, laundry soap, etc. You kind of think about meals in a general way and top off the freezer. I have a monthly shipment from chewy for the dog food. Then we do "small shops" every week or so; pick up bread and milk, fresh fruits and veggies as we need them. So this month I thought a little more about "what if I couldn't get out to pick up bananas?" Hmmm might have issues if I ran out of coke. So we spent about what we would have on two small mid month shops to pick up some less perishable "fresh" things. Some frozen veggies, some Pillsbury rolls, some canned fruit. Some boxed mixes. Things that we will use, but might not have bought if we were still expecting to eat out a couple meals a week. I don't think I spent anymore than we normally would, just a little sooner.

I honestly don't expect the apocalypse. I do expect that some folks will die, and some folks will be harmed by the horrible combo of no insurance, no sick leave, no national health service and the absolute bone headed actions of people who are supposed to be making good plans for all of us.

By its very nature the "free" society we live in has a tough time in an epidemic situation. There is no central office or agency that can shut the whole place down to stop people from breathing on each other. Not saying that would be the thing to do, but we couldn't if we wanted to. You MIGHT be able to shut one town in Washington down for all the good that might do. People won't vaccinate their kids with a vaccine that's been around for years so what are the odds of getting them to take a brand new one? And so, the band plays on.

What if?.

Best to be prepared if you can be or want to be.

Stocking up on shit is dumb.

Not stocking up on shit is dumb.

Nobody is right or wrong.

Bottom line, people can do what they want its their money.

Agree with everything Puzz and Saleen said here, and yes, people can do whatever they want with their money - I for one, encourage preparedness. But I greatly resent seeing my 90yo parents scared to death and believing the government is totally unprepared for anything like this, despite the fact the US has dealt with (and survived!) numerous pandemics in our lifetime. All of a sudden this pandemic is the end of the world? Hmmm.... what's different about this one?

Agree with everything Puzz and Saleen said here, and yes, people can do whatever they want with their money - I for one, encourage preparedness. But I greatly resent seeing my 90yo parents scared to death and believing the government is totally unprepared for anything like this, despite the fact the US has dealt with (and survived!) numerous pandemics in our lifetime. All of a sudden this pandemic is the end of the world? Hmmm.... what's different about this one?
    What's different about this one, good question.

The fear of the unknown will drive some people crazy.

If this shit explodes I don't think the gov't is prepared.....and I don't think local authorities are prepared. I always think worst case and if that happens a whole lot of people will die from corona and others will die bcz they weren't prepared and others will die during the civil unrest that will follow.

Click bait and creating drama for clicks. It's the M.O. these days.

Click bait and creating drama for clicks. It's the M.O. these days.
    Well that and the fact that Trump has gutted the CDC and couldn't find his ass with both hands.

He is even less prepared to respond usefully than Ronald Reagan was.

and Reagan was pretty useless.
    https://lithub.com/ronald-reagan-pre...d-did-nothing/

CDC analyzed reported AIDS cases from 1981 through 2000 from the 50 states, District of Columbia, and U.S. territories. Proportions by sex, age, race/ethnicity, region, and vital status (living or deceased) were computed over four time periods corresponding to changes in the AIDS case definition and the introduction of effective combination antiretroviral therapy (Table 1). Trends in estimated AIDS diagnoses and deaths of persons with AIDS were adjusted for reporting delays based on the number of cases reported to CDC through June 2000, and for anticipated reclassification of cases originally reported without human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection risk information. Estimated AIDS prevalence was calculated as the cumulative incidence of AIDS minus cumulative deaths adjusted for reporting delays (2).

As of December 31, 2000, 774,467 persons had been reported with AIDS in the United States; 448,060 of these had died; 3542 persons had unknown vital status. The number of persons living with AIDS (322,865) is the highest ever reported. Of these, 79% were men, 61% were black or Hispanic, and 41% were infected through male-to-male sex. Of the AIDS cases, approximately one third were reported during 1981--1992, 1993--1995, and 1996--2000 (Table 1). https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5021a2.htm

Well that and the fact that Trump has gutted the CDC and couldn't find his ass with both hands.

He is even less prepared to respond usefully than Ronald Reagan was.

and Reagan was pretty useless.
    https://lithub.com/ronald-reagan-pre...d-did-nothing/
    True. It's a wonderful mix of things that is the perfect recipe to create hysteria.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/...aphic-factors/

Very interesting overview of who's been getting sick and who hasn't.

John Oliver's take on it:

https://youtu.be/c09m5f7Gnic

Thread Information