Thread: Major fire in Bronx apartment building leaves 17 people dead, including 8 children, officials say

Major fire in Bronx apartment building leaves 17 people dead, including 8 children, officials say

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/09/us/br...ies/index.html

A major fire in a residential apartment building in the Bronx in New York City on Sunday left 19 people dead, Mayor Eric Adams told CNN. Nine of them are children, a city official with direct knowledge told CNN.

The blaze sent 32 people to hospitals with life-threatening conditions, FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro said earlier Sunday. A total of 63 people were injured.

It remains unclear what started the fire, but it is not believed to be suspicious, Nigro said.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    This is horrifying. Most died of smoke inhalation. I wonder if the building had some sort of toxic material that made the smoke more deadly. Were there fire escapes? I'm betting that this building wasn't maintained, inspected or up to code in one way or another. It's hard for me to believe this high of a death toll with a fire that was somewhat contained unless there was something shady with this building. NINE children. NINE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/dozens-inj...ry?id=82164322

At least 19 dead, including 9 children, after dozens injured in NYC fire: Officials

More than 200 firefighters responded to the scene of the five-alarm fire that originated Sunday morning in a duplex apartment on the third floor of a high-rise building, located in the Tremont section of the Bronx, officials said. More than 60 people were injured in the fire, according to the New York City Fire Department.

Many of the injured victims were located on the upper floors and likely suffered from severe smoke inhalation, New York City Fire Department Commissioner Daniel Nigro said during a press conference Sunday afternoon. The fire never left the hallway on the floor where it originated, Nigro said.

The 19-story building was built in 1972 and has 120 units, according to city records.

The fire began due to a malfunctioning electric space heater in a bedroom, the FDNY said Sunday evening. Smoke alarms were operable, and it remains under investigation how the smoke traveled so far so quickly.
    The fire has since been put out. Additional details, including the conditions of the other victims, were not immediately available.

The residents consisted of a largely Muslim and Gambian population and will be aided by the city with particular consideration to cultural needs, Adams told ABC News.

New York Gov. Kathy Hochul appeared at the news conference, saying that she spoke with a mother who lost her entire family in the fire, telling the victims, "We will not forget you. We will not abandon you."

The Bronx Park Phase III Preservation LLC, the name of the joint venture that owns building at 333 E 181st St., said in a statement that it was "devastated" over the tragedy that occurred.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    So devastating.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/br...out&li=BBnb7Kz

Bronx fire: all 17 victims who died, including eight children, identified

As suspected, they were slum lords and the city did nothing about it. Gee, it wouldn't have to do with the fact that it was mainly poor immigrants living there or anything, right?

Fire officials have determined that a malfunctioning electric space heater started the fire in the 19-story building in the Bronx on Sunday morning, amid freezing weather. Meanwhile, companies associated with the building’s ownership and city authorities have been accused by tenants of neglecting vital safety measures there for years
    Why were they using electric heaters? Isn't heat supposed to be provided by the building? There is a reason that forced hot water heat and central heat are preferred over electric heaters.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    As suspected, they were slum lords and the city did nothing about it. Gee, it wouldn't have to do with the fact that it was mainly poor immigrants living there or anything, right?

Why were they using electric heaters? Isn't heat supposed to be provided by the building? There is a reason that forced hot water heat and central heat are preferred over electric heaters.
    I found this from Wikipedia: One resident stated that cold indoor temperatures were an ongoing problem requiring the additional use of space heaters; while the building incurred 3 heating-related complaints in 2021, none were outstanding at the time of the fire.

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/c...ry?id=82353359

Cardi B to pay funeral costs for victims of tragic Bronx fire: 'I needed to do something to help'

Cardi B is giving back to her community following a deadly fire on Jan. 9 that left 17 dead and dozens homeless in the Bronx.

New York City Mayor Eric Adams announced Wednesday that the Mayor's Fund to Advance New York City partnered with the Grammy winner, who grew up in the Bronx, to cover the burial expenses for each victim of the tragic fire in the high-rise.

"I'm extremely proud to be from the Bronx and I have lots of family and friends who live and work there still. So, when I heard about the fire and all of the victims, I knew I needed to do something to help," the rapper said in a statement.

"I cannot begin to imagine the pain and anguish that the families of the victims are experiencing, but I hope that not having to worry about the costs associated with burying their loved ones will help as they move forward and heal," she continued. "I send my prayers and condolences to everyone affected by this horrific tragedy."

Cardi B will even be covering repatriation expenses for some of the victims who will be buried in Gambia.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/c...ry?id=82353359

Cardi B to pay funeral costs for victims of tragic Bronx fire: 'I needed to do something to help'
    Well that's amazing.

Honestly, the city should pay for it. I truly believe that NYC is completely lax on building codes in low income areas and turning a blind eye to appease slum lords and this is the result.
    Oh well, back to gum.

Thread Information