Page 1 of 81 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 2001

Thread: COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus pandemic

  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    21,726
    Rep Power
    21474866

    COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus pandemic

    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/24/chin...ronavirus.html

    China said 41 people have now died from a new coronavirus that has infected more than 1,300 people globally, as health authorities around the world scramble to prevent a global pandemic.

    The total number of confirmed cases in China now stands at 1,287, the National Health Commission said in a statement on Saturday.

    The death roll has risen from 26 reported on Friday. All the latest deaths occurred in Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak that has been in virtual quarantine as China scrambles to contain the virus spread.

    The vast majority of the cases and all of the confirmed deaths to date have been in China, but the virus has also been detected in Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Nepal, France and the United States.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 06-28-2021 at 12:17 PM.

  2. #2
    Romulus Angiebla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    12,898
    Rep Power
    21474857
    Of course I just rewatched Contagion before this shit started

    The closest it’s come to me is 2 Miami university students that are being tested for it. They postponed some shit just Incase.

    "The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    21,726
    Rep Power
    21474866
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Of course I just rewatched Contagion before this shit started
    It's scary, but if you look at the current normal flu statistics right now in the US, that stuff is really scary! We are hearing so much about the coronavirus, but I wish we took the regular flu a little more seriously.

  4. #4
    Romulus Angiebla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    12,898
    Rep Power
    21474857
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    It's scary, but if you look at the current normal flu statistics right now in the US, that stuff is really scary! We are hearing so much about the coronavirus, but I wish we took the regular flu a little more seriously.
    Yes this is a bad flu season. I’m equally afraid of contracting both.

    "The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

  5. #5
    What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    19,902
    Rep Power
    21474864
    Not to downplay this or ignore the Chinese government and their ability to orchestrate cover ups and be nefarious, but this whole situation is being blown out of proportion IMHO. These days, news sources make money by clicks and so they tend to sensationalize stories. Click bait etc. As RBW mentioned, our usual Flu season has killed SCORES of people, yet the panic is being focused on this one.

    It does major damage. It promotes xenophobia and affects the world economy. People are seriously refusing to open packages from products from China out of fear that the air inside is infected. Like.... STAHP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,760
    Rep Power
    0
    I know how this happened, the chinese muthafuckas launched a biological attack on their own in that city based on the numbers of people who travel internationally in and out of the region. This was designed to disrupt global economy to counter the Tariff Trade War that was hurting their economy. How did they possibly build a hospital in 10 days? You couldn't get all the materials together in 10 days! The chinese did this shit on purpose.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    21,726
    Rep Power
    21474866
    Quote Originally Posted by S281Saleen160 View Post
    I know how this happened, the chinese muthafuckas launched a biological attack on their own in that city based on the numbers of people who travel internationally in and out of the region. This was designed to disrupt global economy to counter the Tariff Trade War that was hurting their economy. How did they possibly build a hospital in 10 days? You couldn't get all the materials together in 10 days! The chinese did this shit on purpose.
    So you're saying ultimately Trump caused it then with his childish behaviour with the tariffs? Ok, I'll buy that.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,760
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    So you're saying ultimately Trump caused it then with his childish behaviour with the tariffs? Ok, I'll buy that.
    China was ripping us off, Trump fixed that! China is no longer ripping us off, the new trade deal has us winning! Both sides are in agreement on that......

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    21,726
    Rep Power
    21474866
    Quote Originally Posted by S281Saleen160 View Post
    China was ripping us off, Trump fixed that! China is no longer ripping us off, the new trade deal has us winning! Both sides are in agreement on that......
    The tariffs were passed on to the US consumer via increased prices. China didn't pay for the tariffs, you and I did. Winning! Oh, wait....

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,760
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    The tariffs were passed on to the US consumer via increased prices. China didn't pay for the tariffs, you and I did. Winning! Oh, wait....
    Hmmm, good point. I need to look further, I'll be back!

  11. #11
    Senior Member KimTisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    6,947
    Rep Power
    21474858
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    The tariffs were passed on to the US consumer via increased prices. China didn't pay for the tariffs, you and I did. Winning! Oh, wait....
    This argument confuses me because that's how it always works, right? And unless I'm missing something, it makes sense and seems fair that the one consuming said goods will pay the passed along tariffs. People who don't smoke and drink don't pay alcohol and tobacco tariffs. People who drive imported cars pay more than domestic car owners because of the passed along costs of shipping and importing, but that doesn't stop Volvo owners from purchasing one. I just see it as an informed consumer decision. I personally try to avoid cheap Chinese goods because I don't trust their health and safety protocols - too many reports of glass, lead, arsenic, and other carcinogens in dog food, baby food, cosmetics, etc. We need to rethink our dependence on cheap, Chinese goods - it's a national security risk and I can't believe we've allowed ourselves to get where we are right now, particularly in regard to prescription drugs and medical supplies. America has sold her soul in the pursuit of cheap trinkets.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    21,726
    Rep Power
    21474866
    Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    This argument confuses me because that's how it always works, right? And unless I'm missing something, it makes sense and seems fair that the one consuming said goods will pay the passed along tariffs. People who don't smoke and drink don't pay alcohol and tobacco tariffs. People who drive imported cars pay more than domestic car owners because of the passed along costs of shipping and importing, but that doesn't stop Volvo owners from purchasing one. I just see it as an informed consumer decision. I personally try to avoid cheap Chinese goods because I don't trust their health and safety protocols - too many reports of glass, lead, arsenic, and other carcinogens in dog food, baby food, cosmetics, etc. We need to rethink our dependence on cheap, Chinese goods - it's a national security risk and I can't believe we've allowed ourselves to get where we are right now, particularly in regard to prescription drugs and medical supplies. America has sold her soul in the pursuit of cheap trinkets.
    Yes, this is how it always works. We always have paid the costs of imports, tariffs, taxes, etc in the goods we buy. If any of these go up, the consumer pays more, the supplier doesn't just eat them or they would be out of business and then the goods wouldn't be available anymore. Basic economics.

    I agree, that we have relied too much on China for these goods, particularly prescriptions and medical supplies. I have a feeling we're about to get a lesson in the error of our ways since the supply chains are already breaking down due to the virus.

  13. #13
    Moderator puzzld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    20,550
    Rep Power
    21474871
    So just as a thought experiment... say they tell you, right now, you need to stay home for say 3 weeks... are you ready? Do have groceries, soda, dog food, toilet paper, meds? Could your family manage if you had to? Will you have enough leave to keep your paycheck coming in?

    Now I know that right now I could zip off an order to Amazon to get staples, but what if UPS and FedEX go down (we're talking worst case here)

    I don't expect it to get that bad, but these are things I think about. We buy in bulk so, I have paper goods to last for a while, meat in the freezer etc., I'm going to pick up extra dog food and another case of pop. Things I'd have on hand anyway, just a little extra. I'm going to look for boxed bread & pizza mixes. Pick up some more frozen veggies. Some apple sauce and canned fruit. Peanut butter. Some ultra pasteurized milk... We would be fine for 3 weeks. Our pharmacy will mail refills or deliver.

    Now if things go all to hell? Well that's a little scarier but we're good for a month or so... How about you? What would you need to do to get ready. What if the local "food guys" quit delivering? Will you have to start eating small pets and neighbor children?
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,760
    Rep Power
    0
    I didn't see ammo in your list of things. If all things do go to hell you'll need lots of ammo, people will come take all your shit.

  15. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    21,726
    Rep Power
    21474866
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    So just as a thought experiment... say they tell you, right now, you need to stay home for say 3 weeks... are you ready? Do have groceries, soda, dog food, toilet paper, meds? Could your family manage if you had to? Will you have enough leave to keep your paycheck coming in?

    Now I know that right now I could zip off an order to Amazon to get staples, but what if UPS and FedEX go down (we're talking worst case here)

    I don't expect it to get that bad, but these are things I think about. We buy in bulk so, I have paper goods to last for a while, meat in the freezer etc., I'm going to pick up extra dog food and another case of pop. Things I'd have on hand anyway, just a little extra. I'm going to look for boxed bread & pizza mixes. Pick up some more frozen veggies. Some apple sauce and canned fruit. Peanut butter. Some ultra pasteurized milk... We would be fine for 3 weeks. Our pharmacy will mail refills or deliver.

    Now if things go all to hell? Well that's a little scarier but we're good for a month or so... How about you? What would you need to do to get ready. What if thI e local "food guys" quit delivering? Will you have to start eating small pets and neighbor children?
    I stockpile things anyway because I coupon, but I ordered a bunch of dog food today and am going to go to Sams on Monday and get some more things to stock the freezer (we had a little accident in the fall where the freezer got unplugged accidentally and we lost the contents). I am not panicking, but I do think it's a good idea to prepare.

  16. #16
    What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    19,902
    Rep Power
    21474864
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    So just as a thought experiment... say they tell you, right now, you need to stay home for say 3 weeks... are you ready? Do have groceries, soda, dog food, toilet paper, meds? Could your family manage if you had to? Will you have enough leave to keep your paycheck coming in?

    Now I know that right now I could zip off an order to Amazon to get staples, but what if UPS and FedEX go down (we're talking worst case here)

    I don't expect it to get that bad, but these are things I think about. We buy in bulk so, I have paper goods to last for a while, meat in the freezer etc., I'm going to pick up extra dog food and another case of pop. Things I'd have on hand anyway, just a little extra. I'm going to look for boxed bread & pizza mixes. Pick up some more frozen veggies. Some apple sauce and canned fruit. Peanut butter. Some ultra pasteurized milk... We would be fine for 3 weeks. Our pharmacy will mail refills or deliver.

    Now if things go all to hell? Well that's a little scarier but we're good for a month or so... How about you? What would you need to do to get ready. What if the local "food guys" quit delivering? Will you have to start eating small pets and neighbor children?
    If we had to do this, we'd become homeless. We don't get paid sick days or vacation time and we can't work from home. We'd be out of business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

  17. #17
    Senior Member KimTisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    6,947
    Rep Power
    21474858
    My husband was a Strategic Planner, I worked in Emergency Management for the final four years of my career, and we live in South Florida. We have food (real, frozen, shelf and c-rats), meds, paper goods & medical supplies, water, batteries, fuel, guns and ammo (Saleen! ) to last about 3 weeks if we have to shelter in place. We have a go bag and a full tank of gas if we have to evacuate. We're good, we have a comprehensive emergency management plan. Written, distributed, tested.

    ETA: My germaphobia and OCD may actually serve me well in the current situation. I'm seeing lots of "wash your hands" advice. If this is what it takes to get people to wash their hands it can't be all bad.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 02-29-2020 at 03:26 PM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

  18. #18
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    21,726
    Rep Power
    21474866
    Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    My husband was a Strategic Planner, I worked in Emergency Management for the final four years of my career, and we live in South Florida. We have food (real, frozen, shelf and c-rats), meds, paper goods & medical supplies, water, batteries, fuel, guns and ammo (Saleen! ) to last about 3 weeks if we have to shelter in place. We have a go bag and a full tank of gas if we have to evacuate. We're good, we have a comprehensive emergency management plan. Written, distributed, tested.
    Yeah, I think this is one of the times living in hurricaneville helps us.

  19. #19
    Moderator puzzld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    20,550
    Rep Power
    21474871
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    If we had to do this, we'd become homeless. We don't get paid sick days or vacation time and we can't work from home. We'd be out of business.
    This is one of the things that gives me nightmares. If my work were to shut down because we had an out break on campus, we'd be sent home to work from home. We'd do what we could and probably keep getting a pay check, but even if we had to take leave we'd be OK. But what about the folks in your position? The self employed, the part timers, the ones with no leave or insurance? Apparently many cases are mild a little fever, a cough. You going to tell me people are going to trot down to the ER and pay for a test out of pocket? Gonna self quarantine just in case? No. They're gonna keep soldiering on and infect everyone at the early bird special...

    As badly as Ron Regan botched the AIDS crises (and he did botch it) it's a hard disease to catch, you've got to share bodily fluids... But this is much easier to spread with casual or no contact.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

  20. #20
    Moderator puzzld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    20,550
    Rep Power
    21474871
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Yeah, I think this is one of the times living in hurricaneville helps us.
    No Hurricanes here, but I've got a garage full of blizzard supply's. We usually only need enough for 3-5 days, but we just beefed up a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    My husband was a Strategic Planner, I worked in Emergency Management for the final four years of my career, and we live in South Florida. We have food (real, frozen, shelf and c-rats), meds, paper goods & medical supplies, water, batteries, fuel, guns and ammo (Saleen! ) to last about 3 weeks if we have to shelter in place. We have a go bag and a full tank of gas if we have to evacuate. We're good, we have a comprehensive emergency management plan. Written, distributed, tested.

    ETA: My germaphobia and OCD may actually serve me well in the current situation. I'm seeing lots of "wash your hands" advice. If this is what it takes to get people to wash their hands it can't be all bad.

    Cool. I posted here to get an idea what I'd missed, I knew some of you folks are worriers too! I'm not one for arming myself (I'd surely end up an article, either from my own clutsiness or because someone took my gun from me) but I'm taking everything else in consideration...
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

  21. #21
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    21,726
    Rep Power
    21474866
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    As badly as Ron Regan botched the AIDS crises (and he did botch it) it's a hard disease to catch, you've got to share bodily fluids... But this is much easier to spread with casual or no contact.
    I was just telling hubby this a couple of days ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    No Hurricanes here, but I've got a garage full of blizzard supply's. We usually only need enough for 3-5 days, but we just beefed up a little.


    Cool. I posted here to get an idea what I'd missed, I knew some of you folks are worriers too! I'm not one for arming myself (I'd surely end up an article, either from my own clutsiness or because someone took my gun from me) but I'm taking everything else in consideration...
    I read that you might want to stock up on basic OTC meds too. With the supply chain breakdown, and a potential run on them as people get sick, some officials are thinking there will be a shortage of pain meds/fever reducers and such.

  22. #22
    Senior Member KimTisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    6,947
    Rep Power
    21474858
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    This is one of the things that gives me nightmares. <snip> But what about the folks in your position? The self employed, the part timers, the ones with no leave or insurance? Apparently many cases are mild a little fever, a cough. You going to tell me people are going to trot down to the ER and pay for a test out of pocket? Gonna self quarantine just in case? No. They're gonna keep soldiering on and infect everyone at the early bird special...

    As badly as Ron Regan botched the AIDS crises (and he did botch it) it's a hard disease to catch, you've got to share bodily fluids... But this is much easier to spread with casual or no contact.
    Honestly, I'm really not worried about COVID19 - I'm worried about the overreaction to it. Our fanatically detailed preparations are directly related to geography and career choice (old habits and all that), not from any fear of a viral apocalypse. That said, I'm a huge proponent of personal preparedness plans for any emergency and heartily endorse the suggestions here. When chaos ensues, the only person you can really depend on is yourself, so you better have a plan (however simple) to do it.

    I'm immunocompromised, so me + any virus = whether it's Corona, the flu, or "The 24 hr Bug." COVID19 is just another cootie I have to avoid, and I avoid cooties like, well.... like that other famous pandemic, The Plague.

    I'm also old enough to have worked (at the federal level) on the government's response to SARS/H1N1/MERS/Avian/Swine/[insert latest pan(dem)ic here]. So while the general public might feel unprepared and vulnerable, I find comfort in knowing that every level of our government (fed/state/local), along with the medical/business communities, have been thinking about this for decades. There are Plans - tens of thousands of pages of plans that have been written, coordinated, exercised, executed, and rewritten to incorporate lessons learned. As we speak, thousands of people are operationalizing those plans. Are they fool-proof? Absolutely not. Will people die? Probably, there are no absolutes as evidenced by our inability to prevent an estimated 30k+ influenza deaths a year. But every year our emergency management capabilities evolve and increase with advances in science/medicine/technology. We've learned so much and we've come so far. I feel a helluva lot better about the government's ability to provide critical services for COVID19 in 2020, than I did about SARS in 2002 or H1N1 in 2009. I don't anticipate supply shortages much worse than hurricane/blizzard season - mostly caused by hoarding, not actual need.

    I should add that it might not be readily apparent that your community/school/health dept/hospital is operationalizing their plan, even if you work there yourself. Plans aren't only executed by people in HazMat suits. Emergency response consists of detailed action sets that address escalating and triggering events from the mundane to the dramatic. Something as seemingly random as awareness campaigns, Travel Warnings, or "10 Things You Should Know About COVID19" blog posts on a hospital's website, are evidence of plan execution. Don't think for a minute that it's 'all they're doing.' Everybody has a role, some roles are more visible than others.

    My Advice: Keep Calm, Wash Your Hands, Prepare for Annoying Disruptions
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

  23. #23
    Senior Member Deviant Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cracker Hole
    Posts
    10,211
    Rep Power
    21474862
    I would almost laugh at how incredibly ridiculous this is being handled if it weren't down right disgusting. I feel for the people left at the CDC and the WHO who are trying to steer this in the right direction. There is just so much wrong with what is going on but the main take away is that nothing matters more than money, not even human lives. I wonder if Trump will go state by state and throw the cheapest face masks he can find at people along with some maga wear...you know like those amazing paper towels in Puerto Rico.

  24. #24
    Moderator puzzld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    20,550
    Rep Power
    21474871
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Yeah, I think this is one of the times living in hurricaneville helps us.
    Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Honestly, I'm really not worried about COVID19 - I'm worried about the overreaction to it. Our fanatically detailed preparations are directly related to geography and career choice (old habits and all that), not from any fear of a viral apocalypse. That said, I'm a huge proponent of personal preparedness plans for any emergency and heartily endorse the suggestions here. When chaos ensues, the only person you can really depend on is yourself, so you better have a plan (however simple) to do it.

    I'm immunocompromised, so me + any virus = whether it's Corona, the flu, or "The 24 hr Bug." COVID19 is just another cootie I have to avoid, and I avoid cooties like, well.... like that other famous pandemic, The Plague.

    I'm also old enough to have worked (at the federal level) on the government's response to SARS/H1N1/MERS/Avian/Swine/[insert latest pan(dem)ic here]. So while the general public might feel unprepared and vulnerable, I find comfort in knowing that every level of our government (fed/state/local), along with the medical/business communities, have been thinking about this for decades. There are Plans - tens of thousands of pages of plans that have been written, coordinated, exercised, executed, and rewritten to incorporate lessons learned. As we speak, thousands of people are operationalizing those plans. Are they fool-proof? Absolutely not. Will people die? Probably, there are no absolutes as evidenced by our inability to prevent an estimated 30k+ influenza deaths a year. But every year our emergency management capabilities evolve and increase with advances in science/medicine/technology. We've learned so much and we've come so far. I feel a helluva lot better about the government's ability to provide critical services for COVID19 in 2020, than I did about SARS in 2002 or H1N1 in 2009. I don't anticipate supply shortages much worse than hurricane/blizzard season - mostly caused by hoarding, not actual need.

    I should add that it might not be readily apparent that your community/school/health dept/hospital is operationalizing their plan, even if you work there yourself. Plans aren't only executed by people in HazMat suits. Emergency response consists of detailed action sets that address escalating and triggering events from the mundane to the dramatic. Something as seemingly random as awareness campaigns, Travel Warnings, or "10 Things You Should Know About COVID19" blog posts on a hospital's website, are evidence of plan execution. Don't think for a minute that it's 'all they're doing.' Everybody has a role, some roles are more visible than others.

    My Advice: Keep Calm, Wash Your Hands, Prepare for Annoying Disruptions
    Well I hope you're right, but based on what we've seen so far, I suspect that a whole crapton of people will get sick, most only mildly sick, like they do from a cold of the flu, but that a bunch of people with immune system problems will be more than just mildly sick and since everyone in my household has immune system problems... I take it a little more seriously than the young and healthy might... and as I said in an earlier post, I've seen the ptb blow responses to epidemics before. HIV for one. Gun violence, Opioids... We also don't bother to treat people for things that are very curable if they don't have the money. We just don't seem to care that people die needlessly. (Not just the government, but the public as a whole. I don't need no stinkin flu (measles, chicken pox, DPT) shot. So what if my reckless disregard harms others. I can't imagine that the waitstaff making $3 per hour, plus tips is going to give up a days pay (still yet 3 weeks) because they have a little fever and I can't imagine the boss is going to hold their job... so they aren't going to abide by whatever grand plan the local authorities try to enforce. And as for expecting the current administration to step up and do the job previous administrations have done with the alphabet soup of previous threats? I don't feel like either Trump or Pence could find their own ass with both hands. And being as they'll can anyone who says anything that reflects badly on them... DOOMED we're DOOMED.

    ahem excuse me. No I don't think this is some 1918 level threat, but it's going to do a great deal of harm to a lot of people. I used to have a lot of faith in the CDC and the other governmental agencies, (Mom was a fed for her whole working life) but now? Eh, not much.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

  25. #25
    Senior Member KimTisha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    Posts
    6,947
    Rep Power
    21474858
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Well I hope you're right, but based on what we've seen so far, I suspect that a whole crapton of people will get sick, most only mildly sick, like they do from a cold of the flu, but that a bunch of people with immune system problems will be more than just mildly sick and since everyone in my household has immune system problems... I take it a little more seriously than the young and healthy might...
    I'm old and have autoimmune problems as well, so I can certainly appreciate this. In a strange way, I feel like it gives me a slight advantage in this situation because I already take more than basic precautions to avoid cooties, and I'm much more aware than your average Joe. It isn't something I have to train myself to remember to do, I don't get careless - it's deeply ingrained habit. So if there's a silver lining to AI problems, I guess that's it.

    Your concerns are all valid, of course and I share many of them, although I don't think we're DOOMED (maybe lower case doomed, or maybe even domed). I do expect we will see many, many more cases and possibly, many deaths. I guess I'm just not afeared of the new threat because the world has always been a teeming mass of communicable disease in my eyes. I've been giving coughing waitresses and runny-nosed cashiers the side eye long before corona and hope to be doing so long after.

    Besides, I have important things to worry about. Did you hear my neighbor stole my garbage can? Didja? Huh, didja?
    Last edited by KimTisha; 02-29-2020 at 11:05 PM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •