Thread: Joseph David Emerson (44) off-duty Alaska Airlines pilot attempted to shut off the engines in flight while jumpseating on Horizon

Joseph David Emerson (44) off-duty Alaska Airlines pilot attempted to shut off the engines in flight while jumpseating on Horizon

An Alaska Airlines flight was forced to make an unexpected landing Sunday night after an off-duty pilot who was riding in the cockpit allegedly attempted to disable the aircraft's engines.

"I'll just give you a heads-up. We've got the guy that tried to shut the engines down out of the cockpit," one of the pilots said to air traffic controllers in audio posted by LiveATC.net. "It doesn't seem like he's causing any issue at the back. I think he's subdued."

The flight, which was operated by Horizon Airlines, took off from Everett, Wash. around 5 pm Sunday evening. The Embraer 175 jet had to be diverted from San Francisco to Portland, Ore. where it landed safely.

In a statement, Alaska Airlines described the incident as "a credible security threat related to an off-duty Alaska Airlines pilot who was traveling in the flight deck jump seat."

"The jump seat occupant unsuccessfully attempted to disrupt the operation of the engines," according to the statement, before "the crew secured the aircraft without incident. "

It's routine for off-duty pilots, flight attendants and other airline staff to catch a ride in the jump seat behind the pilot and first officer.

The off-duty pilot was arrested after the plane landed at Portland International Airport. Authorities there have identified him as Joseph David Emerson. He's now facing 83 counts of attempted murder, among other charges, including reckless endangerment and endangering an aircraft.

The Federal Aviation Administration said it is supporting law enforcement investigations into the incident.

"All passengers on board were able to travel on a later flight," Alaska Airlines said. "We are grateful for the professional handling of the situation by the Horizon flight crew and appreciate our guests' calm and patience throughout this event."

https://www.npr.org/2023/10/23/12080...laska-airlines
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Thank god they stopped him in time. That could have been terrible.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

But why??

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    But why??
    Probably mental illness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/of...ys/ar-AA1iMMGr

He did shrooms 2 days before the flight. Ive never done them before, but I dont think the effects last 2 days.

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — An off-duty airline pilot riding in an extra cockpit seat on a Horizon Air flight said “I’m not OK” just before trying to cut the engines midflight and later told police he had recently taken psychedelic mushrooms as his mental health worsened, according to charging documents made public Tuesday.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

But what's really scary? What if it had been a flight he was piloting?
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    But what's really scary? What if it had been a flight he was piloting?
    Oh jesus I dont even want to think about that. Lots of people would be dead.

Also not positive but I *think* they are drug tested.

I could see it if he did them that day, perhaps he's deliberately misstating the day he did them? I have no real expertise in mushroom though.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Oh jesus I dont even want to think about that. Lots of people would be dead.

Also not positive but I *think* they are drug tested.
    I don't think that they test for shrooms or acid, but I could be wrong.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-40-hours.html

He also tried to pull the emergency exit door. He said "things are going to get bad" if they didnt cuff him. He was up for 40 hours. Im guessing the shrooms caused some kind of psychotic break.

Airlines pilot Joseph Emerson, charged with 83 counts of attempted murder, told flight attendants to 'cuff me right now or it's going to be bad', court documents have revealed.

Appearing in an Oregon court yesterday it also emerged that the 44-year-old had apparently not slept for 40 hours before he attempted to open his flight's emergency exit door last weekend.
    Last edited by Angiebla; 10-25-2023 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-40-hours.html

He also tried to pull the emergency exit door. He said "things are going to get bad" if they didnt cuff him. He was up for 40 hours. Im guessing the shrooms caused some kind of psychotic break.
    He must have taken a SHIT LOAD then because it isn't the same as acid. LSD can really fuck you up if taken in large doses, but Shrooms are usually not known for causing psychotic breaks unless someone was already susceptible to it. They're even considered therapeutic for mental illness so quite the opposite. I wonder if he even took anything at all if they are just going by his word alone. He's obviously off his rocker and could say or do anything.

He claims he thought he was sleeping and said he pulled those levers to "wake up"

He must have taken a SHIT LOAD then because it isn't the same as acid. LSD can really fuck you up if taken in large doses, but Shrooms are usually not known for causing psychotic breaks unless someone was already susceptible to it. They're even considered therapeutic for mental illness so quite the opposite. I wonder if he even took anything at all if they are just going by his word alone. He's obviously off his rocker and could say or do anything.
    Yeah I've done shrooms before and it never changed the way I thought or anything, never messed with me mentally. I just saw stuff.

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Yeah I've done shrooms before and it never changed the way I thought or anything, never messed with me mentally. I just saw stuff.
    Exactly. You see trails and vivid colors etc. It doesn't make you think that you need to crash a plane in order to wake up

Although, I'm no expert and I'm sure they affect everyone differently. I still think that what he's claiming is bullshit lol.

Exactly. You see trails and vivid colors etc. It doesn't make you think that you need to crash a plane in order to wake up

Although, I'm no expert and I'm sure they affect everyone differently. I still think that what he's claiming is bullshit lol.
    I once ate way too many, and I legit felt like I was in one of those Magic Eye books

I once ate way too many, and I legit felt like I was in one of those Magic Eye books
    That sounds scary to me, I know I would flip out, so I never did them.

I was, however surrounded by a TON of people who did do it and none were homicidal.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post

https://abcnews.go.com/US/off-duty-a...y?id=105401854

Off-duty Alaska Airlines pilot indicted for trying to shut off engines mid-flight, avoids attempted murder counts

An off-duty pilot accused of trying to shut down engines mid-flight on an Alaska Airlines plane in October was indicted on 84 charges -- though the grand jury declined to go for attempted murder.

Joseph David Emerson, 44, was charged with one count of endangering aircraft in the first degree and 83 counts of recklessly endangering another person in connection with the Oct. 22 incident, the Multnomah County District Attorney's Office said Tuesday.

He lucky they went for lesser charges.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/off-duty-a...y?id=105401854

Off-duty Alaska Airlines pilot indicted for trying to shut off engines mid-flight, avoids attempted murder counts
    What is really sad is how this impacted his wife/children. Thank goodness he wasn't able to carry out whatever he was doing, but I remember seeing pictures of his wife/children and immediately felt sorry for them. You truly never know what your tomorrow will bring and when your pilot husband decides to kill a plane load of people. Then, poof, life as you know it is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    What is really sad is how this impacted his wife/children. Thank goodness he wasn't able to carry out whatever he was doing, but I remember seeing pictures of his wife/children and immediately felt sorry for them. You truly never know what your tomorrow will bring and when your pilot husband decides to kill a plane load of people. Then, poof, life as you know it is over.
    Yes I feel terrible for them too.

Thread Information