Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
This argument confuses me because that's how it always works, right? And unless I'm missing something, it makes sense and seems fair that the one consuming said goods will pay the passed along tariffs. People who don't smoke and drink don't pay alcohol and tobacco tariffs. People who drive imported cars pay more than domestic car owners because of the passed along costs of shipping and importing, but that doesn't stop Volvo owners from purchasing one. I just see it as an informed consumer decision. I personally try to avoid cheap Chinese goods because I don't trust their health and safety protocols - too many reports of glass, lead, arsenic, and other carcinogens in dog food, baby food, cosmetics, etc. We need to rethink our dependence on cheap, Chinese goods - it's a national security risk and I can't believe we've allowed ourselves to get where we are right now, particularly in regard to prescription drugs and medical supplies. America has sold her soul in the pursuit of cheap trinkets.
Yes, this is how it always works. We always have paid the costs of imports, tariffs, taxes, etc in the goods we buy. If any of these go up, the consumer pays more, the supplier doesn't just eat them or they would be out of business and then the goods wouldn't be available anymore. Basic economics.

I agree, that we have relied too much on China for these goods, particularly prescriptions and medical supplies. I have a feeling we're about to get a lesson in the error of our ways since the supply chains are already breaking down due to the virus.