Page 31 of 89 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 81 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus pandemic

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...n-covid-cases/

REDDING (CBS SF/AP) ? A rise in COVID-19 cases at an evangelical college in Redding led to the school ordering its entire 1,600-student body to self-quarantine this week.

The Bethel School of Supernatural Ministry recently reported that the number of coronavirus cases among students and staff rose to 137 since classes started a month ago.

ADVERTISING

The front door of Bethel School of Supernatural Ministry (Facebook)

In a statement, the school said off-campus housing has been a primary source of transmission, along with ?social interactions outside of school hours.? The school does not have on-campus housing and encourages students on its website to ?infiltrate the neighborhoods of Redding,? recommending 17 ?revival regions in need of transformation.?

Officials in Shasta County, where the school is located, say the outbreak has driven a recent spike in COVID-19 cases that led the state on Tuesday to restore more restrictions on restaurants, bars and other businesses there.

The county recorded more than 500 new coronavirus cases in the past two weeks, pushing its total number of cases since March to 1,158. It is now in the red tier of California?s color-coded framework for business and school reopenings, which indicates a substantial rate of infection and is one level away from the most restrictive purple tier.

The school?s statement said 68 students currently have positive cases of coronavirus out of the 137 student and staff cases since school started in early September.

In response, school officials asked students to stay home starting last Friday and moved all classes online.

?Students have been asked to self-quarantine, regardless of whether or not they are experiencing symptoms. Students have been instructed to only leave home for essentials, not participate in any social gatherings? and not visit any non-essential businesses or public areas, the statement said. It also asked any staff members who were in contact with anyone who contracted the virus to quarantine at home.

The school said it implemented numerous safety measures before the start of the school year, including a smaller student body of 1,600 students, compared with 2,300 last year. It asked students to arrive early to quarantine for 14 days prior to classes starting and required each student to show a negative COVID-19 test result before attending school. The school required face coverings and social distancing at all times, with daily temperature checks taken at the door, the statement said.

On its website, the school describes itself as ?a ministry training center? that is not an accredited university ?where our students embrace their royal identity, learn the values of the kingdom, and walk in the authority and power of the King.?

The school is affiliated with Bethel Church, a Redding-based megachurch known for laying on of hands. A pastor associated with Bethel Church has been criticized for holding large rallies in California and across the country in defiance of local health orders that have drawn thousands of participants, most of whom don?t wear face masks or social distance. Thousands turned out for a rally he organized at the city?s famed Sundial Bridge in July.

The school said it also canceled in-person church services for Oct. 4 and Oct. 11 that have been held outdoors on a sports field. The school has not said when in-person instruction will resume.

?Let?s continue to pray for the city as we all navigate this challenging season together,? the statement said.

? Copyright 2020 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...d-61-infected/

WATSONVILLE, Santa Cruz County (CBS SF) – Nine people died, and more than 60 residents and staff tested positive from a COVID-19 outbreak at a nursing facility in Watsonville, officials said Wednesday.

As of Wednesday, 46 residents and 15 staff have tested positive at the Watsonville Post-Acute Center, the Santa Cruz County health agency said in a statement.

ADVERTISING

The nine deaths at the facility account for more than half of the COVID-19 deaths in Santa Cruz County since the pandemic started — 16 — according to data from the agency.

“Our condolences go out to these individuals’ families and friends,” officials said.

Local health officials along with the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) said they are working closely with the facility to manage the outbreak.

CDPH has made multiple visits to the facility to provide assessments and recommendations to facility management. Meanwhile, Santa Cruz County officials said they are review protocols on isolation, testing and screening, along with responding to resource requests for staff and supplies.

Officials also said the California National Guard is also providing staffing support to the facility.

“Watsonville Post-Acute informed CDPH and the County as soon as the first resident tested positive,” said Dr. David Ghilarducci, the county’s deputy health officer.

Last month, health officer Dr. Gail Newel said that the coronavirus was likely brought in by someone on staff.

“There were no relaxed guidelines at Watsonville Acute … we will probably never know how it started…it’s most likely due to staff because residents are not coming and going,” Newel said on Sept. 24, when the outbreak had infected 27 residents and six staff members.

Newel was also concerned about cases being on the rise in Santa Cruz County at the time. On Sept. 17, 44 new cases were reported, the highest number since the start of the pandemic.

Health officials said in Wednesday’s statement that the rate of new cases in Santa Cruz County continues to decline, but skilled nursing and long-term care facilities remain at elevated risk for COVID-19 due to the setting and the vulnerability of the population.

Tonight, I went to trivia night, because my husband wanted me to stop being cooped up in the house. I was the only one in the restaurant aside from the employees there that was wearing a mask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Tonight, I went to trivia night, because my husband wanted me to stop being cooped up in the house. I was the only one in the restaurant aside from the employees there that was wearing a mask.
    Everyone here is acting like the threat has passed...and the infection rates are starting to climb.

When President Trump got sick, I had this moment of deja vu back to when I first woke up in the hospital. I know what it?s like to be humiliated by this virus. I used to call it the ?scamdemic.? I thought it was an overblown media hoax. I made fun of people for wearing masks. I went all the way down the rabbit hole and fell hard on my own sword, so if you want to hate me or blame me, that?s fine. I?m doing plenty of that myself.

The party was my idea. That?s what I can?t get over. Well, I mean, it wasn?t even a party ? more like a get-together. There were just six of us, okay? My parents, my partner, and my partner?s parents. We?d been locked down for months at that point in Texas, and the governor had just come out and said small gatherings were probably okay. We?re a close family, and we hadn?t been together in forever. It was finally summer. I thought the worst was behind us. I was like: ?Hell, let?s get on with our lives. What are we so afraid of??

Some people in my family didn?t necessarily share all of my views, but I pushed it. I?ve always been out front with my opinions. I?m gay and I?m conservative, so either way I?m used to going against the grain. I stopped trusting the media for my information when it went hard against Trump in 2016. I got rid of my cable. It?s all opinion anyway, so I?d rather come up with my own. I find a little bit of truth here and a little there, and I pile it together to see what it makes. I have about 4,000 people in my personal network, and not one of them had gotten sick. Not one. You start to hear jokes about, you know, a skydiver jumps out of a plane without a parachute and dies of covid-19. You start to think: ?Something?s really fishy here.? You start dismissing and denying.

I told my family: ?Come on. Enough already. Let?s get together and enjoy life for once.?

They all came for the weekend. We agreed not to do any of the distancing or worry much about it. I mean, I haven?t seen my mother in months, and I?m not supposed to go up and hug her? Come on. We have a two-story house, so there was room for us to all stay here together. We all came on our own free will. It felt like something we needed. It had been months of doing nothing, feeling nothing, seeing no one, worrying about finances with this whole shutdown. My partner had been sent home from his work. I?d been at the finish line of raising $3.5 million for a new project, and that all evaporated overnight. I?d been feeling depressed and angry, and then it was like: ?Okay! I can breathe.? We cooked nice meals. We watched a few movies. I played a few songs on my baby grand piano. We drove to a lake about 60 miles outside of Dallas and talked and talked. It was nothing all that special. It was great. It was normal.

I woke up Sunday morning feeling a little iffy. I have a lot of issues with sleeping, and I thought that?s probably what it was. I let everyone know: ?I don?t feel right, but I?m guessing it might be exhaustion.? I was kind of achy. There was a weird vibration inside. I had a bug-eye feeling.

A few hours later, my partner was feeling a little bad, too. Then my parents. Then my father-in-law got sick the next day, after he?d already left and gone to Austin to witness the birth of his first grandchild. I have no idea which one of us brought the virus into the house, but all six of us left with it. It kept spreading from there.

I told myself it wouldn?t be that bad. ?It?s the flu. It?s basically just the flu.? I didn?t have the horrible cough you keep hearing about. My breathing never got too terrible. My fever peaked for like one day at 100.5, which is nothing ? barely worth mentioning. ?All right. I got this. See? It was nothing.? But then some of the other symptoms started to get wild. I was sweating profusely. I would wake up in a pool of sweat. I had this tingling feeling all over my body, this radiating kind of pain. Do you remember those old space heaters that you?d plug in, and the red lines would light up and glow? I felt like that was happening inside my bones. I was burning from the inside out. I was buzzing. I was dizzy. I couldn?t even turn my head around to look at the TV. I felt like my eyeballs were in a fishbowl, just bopping around. I rubbed Icy Hot all over my head. It was nonstop headaches and sweating for probably about a week ? and then it just went away. I got some of my energy back. I had a few really good days. I started working on projects around the house. I was thinking: ?Okay. That?s it. Pretty bad, but not so terrible. I beat it. I managed it. Nothing worth shutting down the entire world over.? Then one day I was walking up the stairs, and all of the sudden, I couldn?t breathe. I screamed and fell flat on my face. I blacked out. I woke up a while later in the ER, and 10 doctors were standing around me in a circle. I was lying on the table after going through a CT scan. The doctors told me the virus had attacked my nervous system. They?d given me some medications that stopped me from having a massive stroke. They said I was minutes away.

I stayed in the hospital for three days, trying to get my mind around it. It was guilt, embarrassment, shame. I thought: ?Okay. Maybe now I?ve paid for my mistake.? But it kept getting worse.

Six infections turned into nine. Nine went up to 14. It spread from one family member to the next, and it was like each person caught a different strain. My mother-in-law got it and never had any real symptoms. My father is 78, and he went to get checked out at the hospital, but for whatever reasons, he seemed to recover really fast. My father-in-law nearly died in his living room and then ended up in the same hospital as me on the exact same day. His mother was in the room right next to him because she was having trouble breathing. They were lying there on both sides of the wall, fighting the same virus, and neither of them ever knew the other one was there. She died after a few weeks. On the day of her funeral, five more family members tested positive.

My father-in-law?s probably my best friend. It?s an unconventional relationship. He?s 52, only nine years older than me, and we hit it off right away. He runs a construction company, and I would tag along on his jobs and ride with him around Dallas. I?ve been through a lot in my life ? from food stamps to Ferraris and then back again ? so I could tell a good story and make him laugh. He builds these 20,000-square-foot custom homes, but he?d been renting his whole life. We decided to go in together on 10 acres outside Dallas, and he was finally getting ready to build his own house. We?d already done the plumbing and gotten streets built on the property. We?d planted 50 pecans and oaks to give the property some shade. He had his blueprints all drawn up. It was all he wanted to talk about.

He was on supplemental oxygen, but the doctors kept reducing the amount he was getting. They thought he was getting better. He was still making jokes, so I wasn?t all that worried. He told me: ?They?ve got you upstairs in the Cadillac rooms because you?re White, but all of us Mexicans are still down here in the ER.? I got sent home, and I had a lot of guilt about leaving him there. I called him at the hospital, and I was like: ?I?m going to come bust you out Mission Impossible style.? He said he preferred El Chapo style. We were laughing so hard. I hung up, and a few hours later I got a call from my mother-in-law. She was hysterical. She could barely speak. She said one of his lungs had collapsed and the other was filling with fluid. They put him on a ventilator, and he lay there on life support for six or seven weeks. There was never any goodbye. He was just gone. It?s like the world swallowed him up. We could only have 10 people at the funeral, and I didn?t make that list.

I break down sometimes, but mostly I?m empty. Am I glad to be alive? I don?t know. I don?t know how to answer that.

There?s no relief. This virus, I can?t escape it. It?s torn up our family. It?s all over my Facebook. It?s the election. It?s Trump. It?s what I keep thinking about. How many people would have gotten sick if I?d never hosted that weekend? One? Maybe two? The grief comes in waves, but that guilt just sits.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio..._medium=social
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

https://www.wlky.com/article/gov-bes...itive/34338838

Governor of Kentucky tested positive for COVID-19.

FRANKFORT, Ky. —

Gov. Andy Beshear will deliver his daily COVID-19 updates virtually after being potentially exposed to the virus.

According to a press release, Beshear and his family were exposed through of a member of his security detail who drove with them on Saturday. The security trooper learned of his positive status later that day. Beshear and his family were not in contact with anyone else following the exposure.

Beshear, his family and the trooper all wore facial coverings in the vehicle. However, the Kentucky Department for Public Health (DPH) recommends quarantine if an individual is within 6 feet of a positive person for more than 15 minutes.

To ensure the safety of those around him, Beshear says he will quarantine and continue to provide COVID-19 updates virtually.

"We want to make sure we're setting the example and we're also keeping other people around us safe. That we're walking to walk and not just talking the talk," Beshear said in a video message.

The Beshear family tested negative for the virus, they are "feeling well" and currently have no symptoms. Officials say the Beshear family will be tested regularly and will remain in quarantine until cleared by DPH.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    When President Trump got sick, I had this moment of deja vu back to when I first woke up in the hospital. I know what it?s like to be humiliated by this virus. I used to call it the ?scamdemic.? I thought it was an overblown media hoax. I made fun of people for wearing masks. I went all the way down the rabbit hole and fell hard on my own sword, so if you want to hate me or blame me, that?s fine. I?m doing plenty of that myself.

The party was my idea. That?s what I can?t get over. Well, I mean, it wasn?t even a party ? more like a get-together. There were just six of us, okay? My parents, my partner, and my partner?s parents. We?d been locked down for months at that point in Texas, and the governor had just come out and said small gatherings were probably okay. We?re a close family, and we hadn?t been together in forever. It was finally summer. I thought the worst was behind us. I was like: ?Hell, let?s get on with our lives. What are we so afraid of??

Some people in my family didn?t necessarily share all of my views, but I pushed it. I?ve always been out front with my opinions. I?m gay and I?m conservative, so either way I?m used to going against the grain. I stopped trusting the media for my information when it went hard against Trump in 2016. I got rid of my cable. It?s all opinion anyway, so I?d rather come up with my own. I find a little bit of truth here and a little there, and I pile it together to see what it makes. I have about 4,000 people in my personal network, and not one of them had gotten sick. Not one. You start to hear jokes about, you know, a skydiver jumps out of a plane without a parachute and dies of covid-19. You start to think: ?Something?s really fishy here.? You start dismissing and denying.

I told my family: ?Come on. Enough already. Let?s get together and enjoy life for once.?

They all came for the weekend. We agreed not to do any of the distancing or worry much about it. I mean, I haven?t seen my mother in months, and I?m not supposed to go up and hug her? Come on. We have a two-story house, so there was room for us to all stay here together. We all came on our own free will. It felt like something we needed. It had been months of doing nothing, feeling nothing, seeing no one, worrying about finances with this whole shutdown. My partner had been sent home from his work. I?d been at the finish line of raising $3.5 million for a new project, and that all evaporated overnight. I?d been feeling depressed and angry, and then it was like: ?Okay! I can breathe.? We cooked nice meals. We watched a few movies. I played a few songs on my baby grand piano. We drove to a lake about 60 miles outside of Dallas and talked and talked. It was nothing all that special. It was great. It was normal.

I woke up Sunday morning feeling a little iffy. I have a lot of issues with sleeping, and I thought that?s probably what it was. I let everyone know: ?I don?t feel right, but I?m guessing it might be exhaustion.? I was kind of achy. There was a weird vibration inside. I had a bug-eye feeling.

A few hours later, my partner was feeling a little bad, too. Then my parents. Then my father-in-law got sick the next day, after he?d already left and gone to Austin to witness the birth of his first grandchild. I have no idea which one of us brought the virus into the house, but all six of us left with it. It kept spreading from there.

I told myself it wouldn?t be that bad. ?It?s the flu. It?s basically just the flu.? I didn?t have the horrible cough you keep hearing about. My breathing never got too terrible. My fever peaked for like one day at 100.5, which is nothing ? barely worth mentioning. ?All right. I got this. See? It was nothing.? But then some of the other symptoms started to get wild. I was sweating profusely. I would wake up in a pool of sweat. I had this tingling feeling all over my body, this radiating kind of pain. Do you remember those old space heaters that you?d plug in, and the red lines would light up and glow? I felt like that was happening inside my bones. I was burning from the inside out. I was buzzing. I was dizzy. I couldn?t even turn my head around to look at the TV. I felt like my eyeballs were in a fishbowl, just bopping around. I rubbed Icy Hot all over my head. It was nonstop headaches and sweating for probably about a week ? and then it just went away. I got some of my energy back. I had a few really good days. I started working on projects around the house. I was thinking: ?Okay. That?s it. Pretty bad, but not so terrible. I beat it. I managed it. Nothing worth shutting down the entire world over.? Then one day I was walking up the stairs, and all of the sudden, I couldn?t breathe. I screamed and fell flat on my face. I blacked out. I woke up a while later in the ER, and 10 doctors were standing around me in a circle. I was lying on the table after going through a CT scan. The doctors told me the virus had attacked my nervous system. They?d given me some medications that stopped me from having a massive stroke. They said I was minutes away.

I stayed in the hospital for three days, trying to get my mind around it. It was guilt, embarrassment, shame. I thought: ?Okay. Maybe now I?ve paid for my mistake.? But it kept getting worse.

Six infections turned into nine. Nine went up to 14. It spread from one family member to the next, and it was like each person caught a different strain. My mother-in-law got it and never had any real symptoms. My father is 78, and he went to get checked out at the hospital, but for whatever reasons, he seemed to recover really fast. My father-in-law nearly died in his living room and then ended up in the same hospital as me on the exact same day. His mother was in the room right next to him because she was having trouble breathing. They were lying there on both sides of the wall, fighting the same virus, and neither of them ever knew the other one was there. She died after a few weeks. On the day of her funeral, five more family members tested positive.

My father-in-law?s probably my best friend. It?s an unconventional relationship. He?s 52, only nine years older than me, and we hit it off right away. He runs a construction company, and I would tag along on his jobs and ride with him around Dallas. I?ve been through a lot in my life ? from food stamps to Ferraris and then back again ? so I could tell a good story and make him laugh. He builds these 20,000-square-foot custom homes, but he?d been renting his whole life. We decided to go in together on 10 acres outside Dallas, and he was finally getting ready to build his own house. We?d already done the plumbing and gotten streets built on the property. We?d planted 50 pecans and oaks to give the property some shade. He had his blueprints all drawn up. It was all he wanted to talk about.

He was on supplemental oxygen, but the doctors kept reducing the amount he was getting. They thought he was getting better. He was still making jokes, so I wasn?t all that worried. He told me: ?They?ve got you upstairs in the Cadillac rooms because you?re White, but all of us Mexicans are still down here in the ER.? I got sent home, and I had a lot of guilt about leaving him there. I called him at the hospital, and I was like: ?I?m going to come bust you out Mission Impossible style.? He said he preferred El Chapo style. We were laughing so hard. I hung up, and a few hours later I got a call from my mother-in-law. She was hysterical. She could barely speak. She said one of his lungs had collapsed and the other was filling with fluid. They put him on a ventilator, and he lay there on life support for six or seven weeks. There was never any goodbye. He was just gone. It?s like the world swallowed him up. We could only have 10 people at the funeral, and I didn?t make that list.

I break down sometimes, but mostly I?m empty. Am I glad to be alive? I don?t know. I don?t know how to answer that.

There?s no relief. This virus, I can?t escape it. It?s torn up our family. It?s all over my Facebook. It?s the election. It?s Trump. It?s what I keep thinking about. How many people would have gotten sick if I?d never hosted that weekend? One? Maybe two? The grief comes in waves, but that guilt just sits.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio..._medium=social
    This is the shit people need to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/worl...lained-illness

The company said in a statement today evening that illnesses, accidents and other so-called adverse events “are an expected part of any clinical study, especially large studies,” but that its physicians and a safety monitoring panel would try to determine what might have caused the illness.

The pause is at least the second such hold to occur among several vaccines that have reached large-scale final tests in the US.

The company declined to reveal any more details about the illness, citing the participant’s privacy.

Temporary stoppages of large medical studies are relatively common. Few are made public in typical drug trials, but the work to make a coronavirus vaccine has raised the stakes on these kinds of complications.

Companies are required to investigate any serious or unexpected reaction that occurs during drug testing. Given that such tests are done on tens of thousands of people, some medical problems are a coincidence. In fact, one of the first steps the company said it will take is to determine if the person received the vaccine or a placebo.

The halt was first reported by the health news site STAT.

Final-stage testing of a vaccine made by AstraZeneca and Oxford University remains on hold in the US as officials examine whether an illness in its trial poses a safety risk.

That trial was stopped when a woman developed severe neurological symptoms consistent with transverse myelitis, a rare inflammation of the spinal cord, the company has said. That company's testing has restarted elsewhere.

Johnson & Johnson was aiming to enrol 60,000 volunteers to prove if its single-dose approach is safe and protects against the coronavirus. Other vaccine candidates in the US require two shots.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ewish-communit

A leader of protests against coronavirus restrictions in New York's Jewish Orthodox community has been arrested on charges of inciting a riot and unlawful imprisonment of a journalist, according to police.

Harold "Heshy" Tischler, an activist in the city's Orthodox Jewish neighborhood of Borough Park, was taken into custody Sunday following an Oct. 7 protest against limits on the number of worshippers in synagogues.

In a video from the protest posted to social media, a maskless Tischler and others are seen encircling and screaming at Jacob Kornbluh, a journalist for Jewish Insider who has reported on the resistance to the COVID-19 restrictions. Kornbluh also claims he was kicked by the crowd.

On Twitter, Kornbluh wrote that Tischler "recognized me and ordered the crowd to chase me down the street."

Tischler, who is also a talk show host and candidate for City Council, called his arrest a "political stunt" on Twitter.

Late Sunday, several dozen men, some carrying "Trump 2020" flags, also gathered outside Kornbluh's Borough Park apartment to protest Tischler's arrest.

Last week, Tischler said he had made a deal with police to turn himself in on Monday morning, but when he was arrested on Sunday, he claimed he had been "tricked" by authorities, according to a video posted to Twitter.

The protests in Borough Park broke out last week after Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced a new round of restrictions on schools, businesses and houses of worship in areas where coronavirus infections have increased. Many of the recent hotspots in the city are in Orthodox Jewish areas, with the spike attributed in part to the Jewish holidays in late September.

Cuomo said on Sunday that the areas contain 2.8% of the state's population, but have accounted for 17.6% of all positive cases reported in the past week.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/14/heshy-...ridge-protest/

The City Council candidate charged with inciting an attack on a journalist took a swipe Wednesday at city and state officials — while hinting at anti-Semitism — for allowing an overnight protest on the Brooklyn Bridge amid the targeted coronavirus crackdown.

Heshy Tischler tweeted a video early Wednesday morning showing a couple dozen protesters dancing on the Brooklyn Bridge to “Ain’t No Stoppin’ Us Now” by R&B duo McFadden & Whitehead.

“Happening now on the Brooklyn Bridge, but as long as there are no Jews involved then it’s not a problem,” the Orthodox activist posted just before 12:30 a.m. “And of course, if there are no Jews involved then automatically, the virus can’t spread.”

Tischler’s tweet came in the wake of Gov. Andrew Cuomo reimposing strict COVID-19 restrictions in hotspots in Queens and Brooklyn, including at synagogues and other houses of worship — sparking mass protests in ultra-Orthodox communities.

During one of those gatherings in Borough Park, Tischler allegedly sicced a mob on journalist Jacob Kornbluh for criticizing the demonstration. Kornbluh, who is also Orthodox, was punched and kicked last week, while called a “Nazi” and “Hitler.”

The Brooklyn Bridge protest — which shut down the span to vehicular traffic for more than an hour — was held in remembrance of George Floyd’s birthday, according to another video posted to Twitter.

Police could not confirm any arrests early Monday.

Over the summer, Mayor Bill de Blasio threw his support behind Black Lives Matter protesters, heartily encouraging leeway to march as the coronavirus pandemic played out — despite yanking permits for other gatherings such as parades and street festivals.

Floyd, who died at the hands of police in Minneapolis, would have been 47 years old on Wednesday.

Tischler, who is charged with unlawful imprisonment, inciting to riot, menacing and harassment, was released without bail on Monday.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/13/jewish...-nyc-protests/

The father of an Orthodox Jewish reporter who was attacked during an anti-lockdown protest in Brooklyn last week expressed “shock and disgust” at his son’s tormenters in an open letter published Tuesday.

Yitzchok Kornbluh said his son Jacob has been targeted by trolls hurling “vile comments and curses” at him — with some even suggesting he should be killed for reporting on the unruly demonstrations in Borough Park.

“All you need is one crazed person to take that ‘Mitzva’ on board [God forbid],” Yitzchok wrote in a letter on The Yeshiva World website, sarcastically using the Hebrew word for “good deed.”

He charged that the Orthodox community was “in denial” about mask wearing and social distancing, leading to a flare up of the coronavirus in the neighborhood.

His son, he added, was only “advocating wellbeing and promoting protective safety measures” by alerting authorities to the large gathering.

The journalist said he was punched and kicked by protesters who called him a “Nazi” and “Hitler” on Oct. 8, during a night of unrest over government attempts to stop the surging cases of COVID-19 across a broad swath of Brooklyn.

Jacob said the mob was incited by Heshy Tischler, an agitator and aspiring politician, who was arrested Sunday on charges of false imprisonment, inciting a riot, menacing and harassment.

An angry crowd gathered outside Jacob’s home to yell at him through a bullhorn following Tischler’s arrest.

“These scenes were beamed around the globe via Major TV stations and Media outlets,” Jacob’s dad wrote, calling the shocking scene a “Chillul Hashem,” a Hebrew term for when a Jewish person publicly acts in a way that discredits or reflects badly on the religion as a whole.

“The Chillul Hashem in watching fellow Jews behaving like crazed anarchists in chanting booing and baying for Jacob’s blood like hoodlums and egged on by a mob Leader is just beyond comprehension,” Yitzchok wrote.

Yitzchok also demanded to know why community leaders and activists didn’t act when “a gang of mobsters” descended outside the home to “hurl abuse and obscenities and incite hostility against a family who are trapped in their own home through fear and trepidation.”

“Where are the parents of those [young men] who participated?” Yitzchok asked. “What message does such behavior send to our young children?”

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medtec...more-equitable

When the coronavirus arrived in Philadelphia in March, Ala Stanford, M.D., hunkered down at home with her husband and kids. A pediatric surgeon with a private practice, she has staff privileges at a few suburban Philadelphia hospitals. For weeks, most of her usual procedures and patient visits were canceled. So she found herself, like a lot of people, spending the days in her pajamas, glued to the TV.

And then, at the beginning of April, she started seeing media reports indicating that Black people were contracting the coronavirus and dying from COVID-19 at greater rates than other demographic groups.

“It just hit me like, what is going on?” said Stanford.

At the same time, she started hearing from Black friends who couldn’t get tested because they didn’t have a doctor’s referral or didn’t meet the testing criteria. In April, there were shortages of coronavirus tests in numerous locations across the country, but Stanford decided to call around to the hospitals where she works to learn more about why people were being turned away.

One explanation she heard was that a doctor had to sign on to be the “physician of record” for anyone seeking a test. In a siloed health system, it could be complicated to sort out the logistics of who would communicate test results to patients. And, in an effort to protect healthcare workers from being exposed to the virus, some test sites wouldn’t let people without cars simply walk up to the test site.

Stanford knew African Americans were less likely to have primary care physicians than white Americans, and more likely to rely on public transportation. She just couldn’t square all that with the disproportionate infection rates for Black people she was seeing on the news.

“All these reasons in my mind were barriers and excuses,” she said. “And, in essence, I decided in that moment we were going to test the city of Philadelphia.”

Black Philadelphians contract the coronavirus at a rate nearly twice that of their white counterparts. They also are more likely to have severe cases of the virus: African Americans make up 44% of Philadelphians but 55% of those hospitalized for COVID-19.

Black Philadelphians are more likely to work jobs that can’t be performed at home, putting them at a greater risk of exposure. In the city’s jails, sanitation and transportation departments, workers are predominantly Black, and as the pandemic progressed they contracted COVID-19 at high rates.

The increased severity of illness among African Americans may also be due in part to underlying health conditions more prevalent among Black people, but Stanford maintains that unequal access to healthcare is the greatest driver of the disparity.

“When an elderly funeral home director in West Philly tries to get tested and you turn him away because he doesn’t have a prescription, that has nothing to do with his hypertension, that has everything to do with your implicit bias,” she said, referring to an incident she encountered.

Before April was over, Stanford sprang into action. Her mom rented a minivan to serve as a mobile clinic, while Stanford started recruiting volunteers among the doctors, nurses and medical students in her network. She got testing kits from the diagnostic and testing company LabCorp, where she had an account through her private practice. Fueled by Stanford’s personal savings and donations collected through a GoFundMe campaign, the minivan posted up in church parking lots and open tents on busy street corners in Philadelphia.

It wasn’t long before she was facing her own logistical barriers. LabCorp asked her how she wanted to handle uninsured patients whose tests it processed.

“I said, for every person that does not have insurance, you’re gonna bill me, and I’m gonna figure out how to pay for it later,” said Stanford. “But I can’t have someone die for a test that costs $200.”

Philadelphians livestreamed themselves on social media while they got tested, and word spread. By May, it wasn’t unusual for the Black Doctors COVID-19 Consortium to test more than 350 people a day. Stanford brought the group under the umbrella of a nonprofit she already operated that offers tutoring and mentorship to youth in under-resourced schools.

Tavier Thomas found out about the group on Facebook in April. He works at a T-Mobile store, and his co-worker had tested positive. Not long after, he started feeling a bit short of breath.

“I probably touch 100 phones a day,” said Thomas, 23. “So I wanted to get tested, and I wanted to make sure the people testing me were Black.”

Many Black Americans seek out Black providers because they’ve experienced cultural indifference or mistreatment in the health system. Thomas’ preference is rooted in history, he said, pointing to times when white doctors and medical researchers have exploited Black patients. In the 19th century American South, for example, white surgeon J. Marion Sims performed experimental gynecological treatments without anesthesia on enslaved Black women. Perhaps the most notorious example began in the 1930s, when the U.S. government enrolled Black men with syphilis in a study at Tuskegee Institute, to see what would happen when the disease went untreated for years. The patients did not consent to the terms of the study and were not offered treatment, even when an effective one became widely available.

“They just watched them die of the disease,” said Thomas, of the Tuskegee experiments.

“So, to be truthful, when, like, new diseases drop? I’m a little weird about the mainstream testing me, or sticking anything in me.”

In April, Thomas tested positive for the coronavirus but recovered quickly. He returned recently to be tested again by Stanford’s group, even though the testing site that day was in a church parking lot in Darby, Pennsylvania, a solid 30-minute drive from where he lives.

Thomas said the second test was just for safety, because he lives with his grandfather and doesn’t want to risk infecting him. He also brought along his brother, McKenzie Johnson. Johnson lives in neighboring Delaware but said it was hard to get tested there without an appointment, and without health insurance. It was his first time being swabbed.

“It’s not as bad as I thought it was gonna be,” he joked afterward. “You cry a little bit — they search in your soul a little bit—but, naw, it’s fine.”

Each time it offers tests, the consortium sets up what amounts to an outdoor mini-hospital, complete with office supplies, printers and shredders. When they do antibody tests, they need to power their centrifuges. Those costs, plus the lab processing fee of $225 per test and compensation for 15-30 staff members, amounts to roughly $25,000 per day, by Stanford’s estimate.

“Sometimes you get reimbursed and sometimes you don’t,” she said. “It’s not an inexpensive operation at all.”

After its first few months, the consortium came to the attention of Philadelphia city leaders, who gave the group about $1 million in funding. The group also attracted funding from foundations and individuals. The regional transportation authority hired the group to test its front-line transit workers weekly.

To date, the Black Doctors COVID-19 Consortium has tested more than 10,000 people—and Stanford is the “doctor on record” for each of them. She appreciates the financial support from the local government agencies but still worries that the city, and Philadelphia’s well-resourced hospital systems, aren’t being proactive enough on their own. In July, wait times for results from national commercial labs like LabCorp sometimes stretched past two weeks. The delays rendered the work of the consortium’s testing sites essentially worthless, unless a person agreed to isolate completely while awaiting the results. Meanwhile, at the major Philadelphia-area hospitals, doctors could get results within hours, using their in-house processing labs. Stanford called on the local health systems to share their testing technology with the surrounding community, but she said she was told it was logistically impossible.

“Unfortunately, the value put on some of our poorest areas is not demonstrated,” Stanford said. “It’s not shown that those folks matter enough. That’s my opinion. They matter to me. That’s what keeps me going.”

Now, Stanford is working with Philadelphia’s health commissioner, trying to create a rotating schedule wherein each of the city’s health systems would offer free testing one day per week, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.

The medical infrastructure she has set up, Stanford said, and its popularity in the Black community, makes her group a likely candidate to help distribute a coronavirus vaccine when one becomes available. Representatives from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services visited one of her consortium’s testing sites to evaluate the potential for the group to pivot to vaccinations.

Overall, Stanford said she is happy to help out during the planning phases to make sure the most vulnerable Philadelphians can access the vaccine. However, she is distrustful of the federal oversight involved in vetting an eventual coronavirus vaccine. She said there are still too many unanswered questions about the process, and too many other instances of the Trump administration putting political pressure on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration, for her to commit now to doing actual vaccinations in Philadelphia’s neighborhoods.

“When the time comes, we’ll be ready,” she said. “But it’s not today.”

Kaiser Health News (KHN) is a national health policy news service. It is an editorially independent program of the Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation which is not affiliated with Kaiser Permanente.

This story is part of a partnership that includes WHYY, NPR and KHN.

https://www.fiercebiotech.com/resear...-monkeys-study

Moderna and Pfizer may be considered the front-runners in the effort to develop mRNA vaccines against COVID-19, but they’re not the only contenders in that race. Sanofi and its partner Translate Bio have also been working on a vaccine that uses mRNA to prompt an immune response—and now they have animal data that they believe provide strong backing for the phase 1/2 trial expected to start this quarter.

The vaccine candidate, MRT5500, was tested in mice and macaques in a two-dose regimen, and their immune responses were measured. The animals developed neutralizing antibodies against the spike protein on SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, as well as a T-cell response, according to the study, which was published (PDF) on the journal preprint site bioRxiv.

The researchers measured a specific immune reaction called the “Th1-biased T cell response.” That’s because previous studies have suggested that mild cases of COVID-19 are associated with a rapid acceleration of Th1 cell responses while “TH2-biased responses have been associated with enhancement of lung disease” in mouse models of COVID-19 infection, the researchers explained in the study.

They found that both the mice and macaques had strong Th1-biased T-cell responses to MRT5500. They did not see evidence of inflammatory cytokines that have been linked to severe lung symptoms, suggesting a “lack of TH2 response” following vaccination, they wrote.

RELATED: Sanofi spends $425M to double down on Translate Bio mRNA pact, eyes Q4 COVID-19 vax start

Sanofi and Translate teamed up in 2018 to develop mRNA vaccines in a deal worth $45 million upfront. In March, the two penned a second partnership to develop a COVID-19 vaccine, and, in June, Sanofi upped the ante on its original deal with Translate. Now that partnership is worth $300 million upfront, $125 million in equity and $1.9 billion in potential milestone payments.

And MRT5500 is not Sanofi’s sole attempt at a COVID-19 vaccine. Sanofi is also working with GlaxoSmithKline on a vaccine candidate that’s based on an adjuvant recombinant technology. That vaccine was selected for Operation Warp Speed, the U.S. government’s broad attempt to accelerate COVID-19 vaccine development. Sanofi and GSK won $2.1 billion in Warp Speed funding in July to speed up that effort. A phase 1/2 trial started in September.

Many of the companies working on mRNA vaccines have released data from preclinical studies. Last month, Pfizer and its partner BioNTech said their vaccine candidate, BNT162b2, elicited neutralizing antibodies against SARS-CoV-2, as well as antigen-specific CD4+ and CD8+ T cells, in nonhuman primates and mice. CureVac and Moderna also released animal data that they argued supported the advance of their mRNA candidates into clinical trials.

Unlike some of the other preclinical studies on mRNA vaccine candidates, Sanofi’s and Translate’s new trial was not a “challenge” study, meaning the animals were not infected with COVID-19. A challenge study is ongoing, and the companies plan to release full data in the future, a Sanofi spokesperson said in response to a query from Fierce Biotech.

https://www.biospace.com/article/pha...person-trial-/

Two months ago, Russia planted its flag as the first coronavirus vaccine. This week, they rolled out their second vaccine, still leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the world who’s currently engaged in rigorous testing to prove their candidate’s safety and efficacy.

Russia has apparently bypassed the Phase III portion and granted regulatory approval to the peptide-based drug, EpiVacCorona, which was developed by the Vector Institute in Siberia. In Phase II, 100 volunteers received the shot in Novosibirsk, the third most populous city in Russia. Results are yet to be published.

Despite the lack of any public results at this point, President Vladimir Putin said, “We need to increase production of the first and second vaccine. We are continuing to cooperate with our foreign partners and will promote our vaccine abroad.”

Experts had already raised the alarm in August over Russia’s first vaccine, a vector vaccine developed by Gamaleya Institute called their vaccine Sputnik V, a nod to Russia’s early success in the space race. Putin touted the safety and efficacy of this vaccine by reassuring the people that one of his own daughters was a recipient of the vaccine, which is just now ramping up Phase III testing. The Phase III testing of Sputnik started with residents of Siberia and has since administered the vaccine to trial participants in Belarus and soon the UAE. Further expansion is expected soon in Venezuela.

Sputnik V is a vector vaccine, which is produced on the basis of adenovirus. Former FDA Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb had some doubts about the efficacy of this type of delivery system for a coronavirus vaccine, due to the fact that the viral vector being used is that of the common cold. So, if the recipient has antibodies against the common cold, their bodies neutralize the viral vector that’s being used to deliver the gene sequence.

The new Russian EpiVacCorona was created on the promising synthetic platform of peptide vaccines. These peptides are synthesized to cause the immune system to recognize and neutralize the virus. Peptide vaccines are beneficial in that they have a decreased risk of stimulating an autoimmune response or other adverse reactions. Deputy Prime Minister of Russia Tatiana Alekseevna said the Vector Institute will begin clinical trials with 40,000 volunteers soon.

Russia’s race to “be the first” in the coronavirus vaccine race has been called “reckless” by the scientific community. The Phase III trial phase is the largest, and its data essential for determining whether the drug actually works and if it is considered safe for most of the population. Fast approvals mean that adverse side effects may not have yet had time to be observed.

In August at the announcement of their first vaccine approval, Francois Balloux, an expert at University College London’s Genetics Institute called it a “foolish decision.”

“Mass vaccination with an improperly tested vaccine is unethical,” Balloux said. “Any problem with the Russian vaccination campaign would be disastrous both through its negative effects on health, but also because it would further set back the acceptance of vaccines in the population.”

Even without seeing Russia’s results, there has been an increasingly negative perception of the COVID-19 vaccine, with now just 13% of Americans saying they would be willing to try a vaccine immediately once approved by the FDA. A mere 30% said they will plan to get it a few months after it becomes available.

Kirill Dmitriev, chief executive of Russia’s sovereign wealth fund, argued, “We’re completely transparent and open. There is a very negative narrative in some of the Western nations, and frankly we feel it’s very sad because basically it doesn’t allow people to have honest information on our vaccine. We all need to be very practical and stop this rhetoric of trying to paint each other’s vaccine black. It’s very unhealthy, it’s very unethical and very unproductive.”

Russia has yet to publish the results of the early-stage trials of EpiVacCorona. Meanwhile, they encourage countries to “test for themselves” and try it out.

Gotlieb reassured the American public saying that the US would not allow mass distribution of a drug that had only been tested on a few hundred patients at most.

https://www.biospace.com/article/the...-numbers-rise/

Photo courtesy of CDC/Cynthia S. Goldsmith and A. Tamin

Several biopharmaceutical companies have made headway as of late in the race to develop a vaccine for COVID-19, which is responsible for the current global pandemic.

BioNTech and its partner, Pfizer, recently published data on the safety and immunogenicity of RNA-based COVID-19 vaccine candidates. BNT162b1, which encodes a secreted trimerized SARS-CoV-2 receptor–binding domain, and BNT162b2, which encodes a membrane-anchored SARS-CoV-2 full-length spike, were both examined in a Phase I trial. The data specifically supported BNT162b2 for advancement to a pivotal Phase II/III safety and efficacy evaluation.

Sanofi and Translate Bio also recently released preclinical results for MR5500, its mRNA-based vaccine for SARS-CoV-2. The vaccine candidate appeared to have a favorable immune response profile against the virus, and a Phase I/II clinical trial is expected to begin in the final quarter of 2020.

“The rapid development of effective vaccines to address the COVID-19 pandemic continues to be an urgent global public health need and I am encouraged by the progress we’ve made to date with our partner Sanofi Pasteur toward the development of a promising mRNA vaccine candidate,” said Ronald Renaud, Chief Executive Officer at Translate Bio. “The preclinical results we report in this paper demonstrate the ability of MRT5500 to elicit a favorable immune response in both mice and non-human primates. Importantly, these results provide additional support for using our mRNA platform to potentially expedite the development of alternative approaches to traditional vaccines.”

Back in September, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) addressed its vaccine preparedness, with the assumption that a COVID-19 vaccine is on the horizon. The Department of Health and Human Services (HSS) stated that the CDC would be providing $200 million to jurisdictions for the initiative.

“By building on close partnerships with the states and other jurisdictions we have worked with for years on vaccination programs, we have the ability to begin distributing and administering safe and effective COVID-19 vaccines as soon as they are authorized and available,” said HHS Secretary Alex Azar. “With these $200 million in new funds, jurisdictions can develop and update plans for the eventual distribution and administration of the safe and effective vaccines that will help bring this pandemic to an end. The federal government, including experts from CDC and the Department of Defense, is ready to assist where necessary.”

However, some are still wondering exactly when a vaccine will be developed and deemed safe for use. Eli Lilly, for example, announced earlier this week that it would be pausing its clinical trial of a combination antibody against COVID-19 due to safety concerns. Johnson & Johnson also announced the pause of its own clinical trial, looking into a potential COVID-19 vaccine. An “unexplained illness in a study participant” prompted researchers to halt the study.

“[Serious Adverse Events] are not uncommon in clinical trials, and the number of SAEs can reasonably be expected to increase in trials involving large numbers of participants,” the company stated, following the announcement. “Further, as many trials are placebo-controlled, it is not always immediately apparent whether a participant received a study treatment or a placebo.”

As companies continue to develop and test a COVID-19 vaccine, the total number of cases continues to rise. In the U.S., there were more than 7.8 million recorded cases as of Oct. 15. The death toll has climbed to more than 215,100.

https://whyy.org/articles/assessing-...ans-practices/

As Dr. Pamela Huffman-DeVaughn watched some of her colleagues close the doors of their private practices, she feared she might have to do the same.

Like many small-business owners, the physician felt the effects of the coronavirus.

During the height of the pandemic, Huffman-DeVaughn had to decrease office hours at her three locations ? in West Philadelphia, Germantown and Wilmington ? and spaced out appointments, which reduced the number of patients walking through the doors.

?A medical practice is like any other business out here, restaurants, whatever. If you have less volume, you have less revenue. You can?t pay your staff, you can?t pay your expenses,? said Huffman-DeVaughn, who owns Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine Centers of Philadelphia, the largest Black-owned pediatric practice in the region.

She was forced to postpone the hiring of a new physician, already in progress prior to the pandemic. And she had to make some personal sacrifices to keep operating. Sometimes, Huffman-DeVaughn received less income than usual, other times she received none at all, and sometimes she reached into her savings to prevent furloughing or laying off doctors and other employees.

?They?ve been with me for a while, so I figured if anyone needs to take the sacrifice, I should take the sacrifice to keep them employed,? she said. ?I just care about them, and I just felt I would sacrifice, rather than them sacrifice and not pay their rent, or not getting food for their kids, and that type of thing.?

Dr. Pamela Huffman-DeVaughn, a Black woman, wearing a black-and-white striped blazer.
    Dr. Pamela Huffman-DeVaughn has had to take pay cuts in order to keep her private practice operating during the COVID-19 pandemic. (Courtesy of Dr. Pamela Huffman-DeVaughn)
    Huffman-DeVaughn?s is one of several Black-owned private practices in the Delaware Valley that have faced COVID-19-related hardships. Some have shut down altogether.

?It?s devastating. When my colleagues told me they were closing their doors, you almost get emotional. You try to say, ?Can?t you stay open?? But they can?t,? she said. ?I probably had a little buffer because I had three offices. But if you have one office, COVID is devastating.?

The New Jersey Medical Association, an organization of Black physicians, found that 90% of its members reported hardships from COVID-19. Some practices had to furlough employees, some employees were too fearful to go to work, some practices lost revenue because they couldn?t perform surgeries and therefore had to decrease their office hours or close.

Though there has been some small-business assistance for physicians? offices, a lot of time was lost because of pandemic restrictions.

?I think that when people think about small businesses, they don?t always think about medical practices, because we don?t equate medicine to business automatically. But at the end of the day, medicine, or having a medical practice, is a small business,? said Dr. Damali M. Campbell-Oparaji, president of the New Jersey Medical Association.

Doctors say it?s important that Black-owned practices have the resources to remain open.

?Scientific data has shown Black patients seen by Black doctors have better health outcomes. We are only one of the few Black practices left ? so if we close our doors they have nowhere to go. I mean, they can go to other practices, but they feel better when they go to a practice that has African American doctors,? Huffman-DeVaughn said.

?They see people who look like them, they have aspirations ? I have so many patients who want to be doctors now because they see us,? she said. ?They feel comfortable with the health care they receive, they trust us more than if they go to some institution or other health care facility, they may tell us more about their health than they would another provider. And pre-COVID, that?s what we were trying to do ? close this health care gap ? and COVID came and put a bigger gap there.?

Witnessing the closure of Black-owned private practices has motivated her to fight to remain open, Huffman-DeVaughn said. Her Wilmington office was closed for several weeks because she was in the middle of relocating a half-mile away when the pandemic hit. She even considered closing the Wilmington office permanently, but her colleagues encouraged her to stay open.

?When one of the other doctors said she was closing her doors, I said, ?Well, how many more do we have left?? And she said, ?We don?t have any more in private practice.? So I had to take it upon myself to open the doors back and get those patients a home office to go to.?

Are we on the second or third wave of the pandemic? Ive read conflicting info.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Are we on the second or third wave of the pandemic? Ive read conflicting info.
    Same here I get conflicting info but its because of political rantings in the way.

https://www.9news.com/article/sports...ef=exit-recirc

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Broncos were informed Saturday morning that running backs coach Curtis Modkins had tested positive for COVID-19.

A 25-year coaching veteran who is in his 13th NFL season and third as the Broncos’ running backs coach, Modkins tested positive even though he does not have symptoms associated with coronavirus. He will remain home and self-quarantine as the team travels Saturday to New England.

As a precaution, his son Jett Modkins, a Broncos’ coaching intern who lives with his father, will also miss the trip to New England, a source told 9NEWS. Jett Modkins has repeatedly tested negative for COVID-19 but because he is regularly in close contact with his father, he is considered high-risk and the Broncos are keeping him back.

It’s another blow to the team’s running backs room as starting tailback Melvin Gordon also will not travel to New England after he was diagnosed Friday with strep throat.

Per source, it is believed Modkins came in contact with a family member who had COVID-19. Modkins promptly reported his situation to the Broncos’ infection control officers, then self-isolated away from the Broncos’ facility for five days. He also went through daily PCR testing, the results of which continually came back negative.

Following protocols, Modkins returned after his 5-day isolation to coach his running backs on Wednesday. He was also coaching with the team Thursday and Friday – testing negative every day -- before he was informed early Saturday morning of his positive COVID-19 test.

Give credit to Modkins for following all the COVID-19 precautions, including immediately reporting he had been in contact with a perso who had COVID-19. The virus’ incubation period, it seems, outlasted the league’s precautionary safeguards.

Modkins, 49, is widely considered one of the league’s best assistant coaches. Besides his work with running backs – he helped the Broncos’ Phillip Lindsay develop from an undrafted prospect out of the University of Colorado to Pro Bowler who rushed for at least 1,000 yards in his first two seasons – Modkins was Buffalo’s offensive coordinator from 2010-12 and is expected to eventually draw strong consideration as an NFL head coaching candidate.

He is the first Broncos coach or player to test positive for COVID since training camp began August 14. Star defensive players Von Miller and Kareem Jackson tested positive during the offseason and the virus was detected with fullback/tight end Andrew Beck as he went through the entry-testing process in the days leading up to training camp.

Thread Information