Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1348

Thread: COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus pandemic

  1. #1251

  2. #1252
    Senior Member JohnLanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    4,788
    Rep Power
    8008681
    https://www.8newsnow.com/news/nation...-vaccine-void/

    SURRY, Va. (AP) — When Charlome Pierce searched where her 96-year-old father could get a COVID-19 vaccine in January, she found zero options anywhere near their home in Virginia. The lone medical clinic in Surry County had none, and the last pharmacy in an area with roughly 6,500 residents and more land mass than Chicago closed years ago.

    To get their shots, some residents took a ferry across the sprawling James River to cities such as Williamsburg. Others drove more than an hour past farms and woodlands – the county got its first stoplight in 2007 – to reach a medical facility offering the vaccine.

    At one point, Pierce heard about a state-run vaccination event 45 minutes away, No more appointments were available, which perhaps was for the best: the wait there reportedly could last up to seven hours.

    “That would have been a daunting task,” she said, citing her father’s health conditions and frequent need to use the bathroom. “I could not have had him sit in a car and wait for something that might happen. We’re not in a Third World country.”

    As the nation’s campaign against the coronavirus moves from mass inoculation sites to drugstores and doctors’ offices, getting vaccinated remains a challenge for residents of “pharmacy deserts,” communities without pharmacies or well-equipped health clinics. To improve access,” the federal government has partnered with 21 companies that run free-standing pharmacies or pharmacy services inside grocery stores and other locations.

    More than 40,000 stores are expected to take part, and the Biden administration has said that nearly 90% of Americans live within five miles of one, from Hy-Vee and Walmart to Costco and Rite-Aid.

    But there are gaps in the map: More than 400 rural counties with a combined population of nearly 2.5 million people lack a retail pharmacy that’s included in the partnership. More than 100 of those counties either have no pharmacy or have a pharmacy that historically did not offer services such as flu shots, and possibly lacks the equipment or certified staff to vaccinate customers.

    Independent pharmacies that have traditionally served rural areas have been disappearing, casualties of mail-order prescriptions and more competition from chains like Walgreen’s and CVS with greater power to negotiate with insurance companies, according to Keith Mueller, director of the University of Iowa’s RUPRI Center for Rural Health Policy Analysis.

    “There are a lot of counties that would be left out” of the Federal Retail Pharmacy Program, said Mueller, whose research center compiled the pharmacy data on the 400 counties. “In the Western states in particular, you have a vast geography and very few people.”

    Challenges to obtaining a vaccine shot near home aren’t limited to rural areas. There is a relative dearth of medical facilities in some urban areas, particularly for Black Americans, according to a study published in February by the University of Pittsburgh’s School of Pharmacy and the West Health Policy Center.

    The study listed 69 counties where Black residents were much more likely to have to travel more than a mile to get to a potential vaccination site, including a pharmacy, a hospital or a federally qualified health center. One-third of those counties were urban, including the home counties of cities such as Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Detroit and New Orleans.

    Additionally, the study identified 94 counties where Black residents were significantly more likely than white residents to have to go than 10 miles to reach a potential vaccination site. The counties were mostly heavily concentrated in the southeastern U.S. — Virginia had the most of any state with 16 — and in Texas.

    The shortage of pharmacies and other medical infrastructure in some of the nation’s rural areas highlights the health care disparities that have become more stark during the coronavirus pandemic, which has disproportionately affected members of racial minority and lower-income groups.

    The former drug store in Surry County, where about 40% of the residents are Black, is now a caf?. No one seems to remember exactly when the Surry Drug. Co. closed, but caf? co-owner Sarah Mayo remembers going there as a child. Now, she drives 45 minutes to a Walmart or CVS.

    “I don’t know if more people would take the vaccine” if the pharmacy still existed, Mayo, 62, said. “But at least you would have a local person that you trust who would explain the pros and cons.”

    Surry County residents also used to pick up prescriptions at Wakefield Pharmacy in neighboring Sussex County until it, too, closed in November. The owner, Russell Alan Garner, wanted to retire and couldn’t find a buyer.

    “We’ve become dinosaurs,” Garner said.

    In January, Surry County officials saw vaccines arrive in other parts of Virginia that had more people or more coronavirus cases. Fearing doses might not arrive for months, if ever, they began to pressure state officials.

    In a letter to the governor’s office, Surry joined with surrounding communities to express concerns about vaccine “equity,” particularly for low-income and other disadvantaged populations. Some of those communities said they had reallocated money to support vaccination efforts.

    “The thing about living in a rural community is that you’re often overlooked by everybody from politicians right on through to the agencies,” said county Supervisor Michael Drewry.

    Surry County Administrator Melissa Rollins wrote to the regional health district, stating that driving outside the county wasn’t practical for most residents. She said Surry was willing to sponsor a mass vaccination site, had devised a plan to recruit people who could administer shots and make sure that eligible residents would be ready.

    The first clinic in Surry County was held Feb. 6 at the high school in the small town of Dendron. The school district was inoculating teachers and other staff members when officials with the county and regional health district staff learned of extra doses, prompting a rush to get the word out.

    Surry already had a waitlist of eligible people through a survey it designed to reach vulnerable residents. It used its emergency alert telephone system, since internet access is spotty.

    Pierce got the call and quickly headed out with her father, Charles Robbins. It was a 20-minute drive to the high school and a two-hour wait. Pierce, 64, also got a shot, along with about 240 other people that day.

    Three more vaccination clinics have been held in the county. And the regional health district had administered 1,080 doses there as of March 2. The number makes up the majority of doses that county residents have received, although several hundred received their shots outside of the county.

    All told, about 1,800 county residents have received at least one dose. That’s about 28% of the population and was almost twice the state’s average rate. About half the people who’ve received vaccines are Black.

    The Virginia Department of Health said that vaccine distribution has been based on population and COVID rates. But moving forward, the department said it’s considering tweaks to ensure more geographical and racial equity.

    Pierce and her father were relieved to get their second shots in late February. But she said Surry’s rural character placed it at a disadvantage in the beginning.

    “I have close friends, people who are essential workers, who’ve had to go as far away as an hour to get a shot,” she said. “You shouldn’t be marginalized by your zip code.”

    But driving vast distances is a way of life for many in rural areas, said Bruce Adams, a cattleman and commissioner for Utah’s San Juan County, which is nearly the size of New Jersey and overlaps with the Navajo Nation.

    “I got both shots, and I had to drive 44 miles roundtrip for each one to a public health center,” Adams, 71, said. “I don’t think it’s any more of a problem than anything else we do normally in our lives…going to the doctor, the dentist, getting your haircut.”

  3. #1253
    Moderator puzzld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    19,767
    Rep Power
    21474869
    https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/statu...81512798543879
    VERY WORRIED FOR FLORIDA/US?More contagious #B117 is rising quickly, & exponentially replacing the old dying #SARSCoV2 common strain. B117 affects kids, & 64% more severe. B117 now over 40%?dominant in days. A new surge is coming. Florida inaction= Florida > US surge
    Ugh. We could have controlled this, but idiots like covid Christy and Desanis have much to answer for.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

  4. #1254
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    19,441
    Rep Power
    21474864
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/statu...81512798543879

    Ugh. We could have controlled this, but idiots like covid Christy and Desanis have much to answer for.
    Well, the good news is that we have Spring Breakers coming here and Bike Week about to happen in Daytona. Oh, wait.

    Our governor is a dumbass, and the GOP want to crown him the heir apparent to Trump. Ugh.

  5. #1255
    Senior Member Deviant Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cracker Hole
    Posts
    10,201
    Rep Power
    21474861
    This is just insane. So many people are too willing to put others lives in danger so they can flit around. I am so tired of their collective bullshit.

  6. #1256
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    19,441
    Rep Power
    21474864
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviant Toaster View Post
    This is just insane. So many people are too willing to put others lives in danger so they can flit around. I am so tired of their collective bullshit.
    But, but, their freedumb. I saw a shirt the other day that said "Let's just pretend I am wearing a mask and I'll pretend yours actually does something". I am so over this anti science, anti anything their Cheeto king didn't like mentality.

  7. #1257
    Senior Member JohnLanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    4,788
    Rep Power
    8008681
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    But, but, their freedumb. I saw a shirt the other day that said "Let's just pretend I am wearing a mask and I'll pretend yours actually does something". I am so over this anti science, anti anything their Cheeto king didn't like mentality.
    True and also I live in the epicenter where anti-vax conspiracy theorists and COVID-19 truthers are located. It's in Sacramento. I even heard of conspiracy theorists go to Sacramento and say shit like it's socialist to have pandemic prevention and pandemic prevention is a Gavin Newsom, Kamala Harris and Richard Pan conspiracy for medicare for all. This shit is insane to the point that they mix Abortions and vaccine research funding in their rantings. Expect other states to face what California had to go through with people throwing blood in a hall of the State legislature because they don't like pandemic prevention for conspiracy reasons.


  8. #1258
    Senior Member Deviant Toaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Cracker Hole
    Posts
    10,201
    Rep Power
    21474861
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    But, but, their freedumb. I saw a shirt the other day that said "Let's just pretend I am wearing a mask and I'll pretend yours actually does something". I am so over this anti science, anti anything their Cheeto king didn't like mentality.
    Me too! You know I got chicken pox right before Prom. I stayed home. I didn't whine and screech about my rights, freedumbs, or prom experience. My friend, sister, and I could have infected so many more people and ruined prom all together, but nope we stayed home. How hard is this????

    That damn Cheeto has us openly living in a "post fact, fake news, my ignorance is equal to your knowledge" free for all.

  9. #1259
    Moderator puzzld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    19,767
    Rep Power
    21474869
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviant Toaster View Post
    Me too! You know I got chicken pox right before Prom. I stayed home. I didn't whine and screech about my rights, freedumbs, or prom experience. My friend, sister, and I could have infected so many more people and ruined prom all together, but nope we stayed home. How hard is this????

    That damn Cheeto has us openly living in a "post fact, fake news, my ignorance is equal to your knowledge" free for all.
    He has harmed so many people.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

  10. #1260

  11. #1261
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    19,441
    Rep Power
    21474864
    So Florida is now lowering the vaccine age to 60.

  12. #1262
    Cranjis McBasketball Nic B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    9,153
    Rep Power
    21474855
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    So Florida is now lowering the vaccine age to 60.
    So now you can get it!

    I kid, I kid


    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

  13. #1263
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    19,441
    Rep Power
    21474864
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    So now you can get it!

    I kid, I kid
    I knew someone was gonna say that!

    I still have 14 years, but at least things are moving in the (hopefully) right direction. Even for groups of people (cops, firefighters, and he tried with teachers but CVS said that Biden's mandate said ALL teachers with student contact, so the overrode DeSansBrains) our governor has said he is going to limit it by age. Right now only cops and firefighters over 50 can get it. DeSansBrains is of the firm belief that COVID is harmless to anyone under 65, he pretty much said so when the vaccine first came out. Science and reality are so overrated.

  14. #1264
    Cranjis McBasketball Nic B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    9,153
    Rep Power
    21474855
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I knew someone was gonna say that!

    I still have 14 years, but at least things are moving in the (hopefully) right direction. Even for groups of people (cops, firefighters, and he tried with teachers but CVS said that Biden's mandate said ALL teachers with student contact, so the overrode DeSansBrains) our governor has said he is going to limit it by age. Right now only cops and firefighters over 50 can get it. DeSansBrains is of the firm belief that COVID is harmless to anyone under 65, he pretty much said so when the vaccine first came out. Science and reality are so overrated.
    My younger sister just got her first dose, she is a school psychologist.

    It seems like here, the only issue is it's super hard to get an appointment.


    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

  15. #1265
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    19,441
    Rep Power
    21474864
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    My younger sister just got her first dose, she is a school psychologist.

    It seems like here, the only issue is it's super hard to get an appointment.
    That's good she got it. Did she get the one and done J&J one or does she have to go back for a 2nd one?

    I saw that the Fema sites are now allowing LE and firefighters of any age to get it, despite DeSansBrains saying no. I hope they continue rolling it out for other essential workers, regardless of age.

  16. #1266
    Moderator puzzld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    19,767
    Rep Power
    21474869
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    That's good she got it. Did she get the one and done J&J one or does she have to go back for a 2nd one?

    I saw that the Fema sites are now allowing LE and firefighters of any age to get it, despite DeSansBrains saying no. I hope they continue rolling it out for other essential workers, regardless of age.
    Yes. I think any of the people who are dealing with the public, especially in close contact should be eligible for a vaccine. I think it should be health workers dealing with covid patients, vulnerable people who can't issolate, essential workers, then vulnerable people who have been able to isolate, then...

    Not those who can afford to buy a place in line...

    Anyway, mom and her caregiver have had both their shots, I had my first last week, roomie gets her first today, so one month and counting down till we are "fully vaccinated"
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

  17. #1267
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    19,441
    Rep Power
    21474864
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Yes. I think any of the people who are dealing with the public, especially in close contact should be eligible for a vaccine. I think it should be health workers dealing with covid patients, vulnerable people who can't issolate, essential workers, then vulnerable people who have been able to isolate, then...

    Not those who can afford to buy a place in line...

    Anyway, mom and her caregiver have had both their shots, I had my first last week, roomie gets her first today, so one month and counting down till we are "fully vaccinated"
    Good news on getting your shots!

    Yeah, it's been laughable that DeSansBrains has been so strict on the things the other states have accepted as general guidelines, but yet he's rolled it out to plenty of people that don't fit those requirements...as long as they gave a campaign donation.

  18. #1268
    Cranjis McBasketball Nic B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    9,153
    Rep Power
    21474855
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    That's good she got it. Did she get the one and done J&J one or does she have to go back for a 2nd one?

    I saw that the Fema sites are now allowing LE and firefighters of any age to get it, despite DeSansBrains saying no. I hope they continue rolling it out for other essential workers, regardless of age.
    She has to go back for the second one, she is just not sure when that will be.


    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

  19. #1269
    Moderator puzzld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    19,767
    Rep Power
    21474869
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    She has to go back for the second one, she is just not sure when that will be.
    Seriously? I'm amazed at the different way states are handling things. I had my second shot scheduled before the nurse would give me my first. I will say for the screwed up way SD has handled a lot of things they are doing a good job on vaccine distribution. The three largest medical systems in the state divided the state with the provider that had the most outlets in a region taking that piece of the state. You could call in to get on the waiting list, or use your patient portal (or set up a new portal if you weren't already a patient of that health system) You tell them your age and if you fit in any priority groups, i.e. health care worker, pre ex condition haver, teacher etc. You get a call to schedule an appointment when your number comes up. Choose which vac. clinic you want to go to at that time, when you get there, you answer a couple of questions, schedule your second shot, get your vacs. and wait the 15 minutes to make sure your not going to have a reaction. I was in and out in 17 minutes. The IHS and VA also have their own supply of shots. IHS has now vaccinated all adults who are enrolled in one of the tribes and want shots and is now expanding to do teachers on the theory that they are service providers to native children and are important in keeping kids in school.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

  20. #1270
    Cranjis McBasketball Nic B's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    9,153
    Rep Power
    21474855
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Seriously? I'm amazed at the different way states are handling things. I had my second shot scheduled before the nurse would give me my first. I will say for the screwed up way SD has handled a lot of things they are doing a good job on vaccine distribution. The three largest medical systems in the state divided the state with the provider that had the most outlets in a region taking that piece of the state. You could call in to get on the waiting list, or use your patient portal (or set up a new portal if you weren't already a patient of that health system) You tell them your age and if you fit in any priority groups, i.e. health care worker, pre ex condition haver, teacher etc. You get a call to schedule an appointment when your number comes up. Choose which vac. clinic you want to go to at that time, when you get there, you answer a couple of questions, schedule your second shot, get your vacs. and wait the 15 minutes to make sure your not going to have a reaction. I was in and out in 17 minutes. The IHS and VA also have their own supply of shots. IHS has now vaccinated all adults who are enrolled in one of the tribes and want shots and is now expanding to do teachers on the theory that they are service providers to native children and are important in keeping kids in school.
    Yeah it seems like it's crazy here. I was listening to my morning show and they were comparing getting an appointment to getting tickets online. Like, you see an available appt, click it and by the time you hit continue, the appt is gone. Sounds insane.


    Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

  21. #1271
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    19,441
    Rep Power
    21474864
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Yeah it seems like it's crazy here. I was listening to my morning show and they were comparing getting an appointment to getting tickets online. Like, you see an available appt, click it and by the time you hit continue, the appt is gone. Sounds insane.
    That's the way it is here too. A lot of people that got 1st shots now can't get 2nd shots.

  22. #1272
    Senior Member JohnLanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    4,788
    Rep Power
    8008681
    https://pix11.com/news/coronavirus/i...investigating/

    A video of a man who refused to wear a mask in a Home Depot is under investigation by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, a spokesperson said Monday.

    In the video, the man argued with several Home Depot workers over the company?s mask policies. The unidentified man claimed to be exempt from wearing a mask, but became irate when workers refused to offer customer service and cited company policy.

    A manager told him he could be in the store, but workers did not have to interact with him because he was not wearing a mask, the video shows.

    While arguing with employees, the man claimed to work for the Port Authority.

    ?What did I do wrong? What did I do wrong? Do you know that I work for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, right?? the man said.

    It?s unclear when and where the video was taken, but the man claimed to live in Florida.

    The situation eventually escalated with the man screaming, ?I?m a superspreader? several times before leaving the store.

    A spokesperson said the Port Authority is looking into whether the man is actually associated with the agency.

    ?We mandate that all our employees adhere to wearing masks and other safety protocols in all our facilities. We expect that all employees follow all state and local mandates with respect to mask wearing and other safety measures,? the spokesperson told PIX11 in a statement Monday. ?We are looking into whether his claim of being associated with the Port Authority is true, in which case we will take appropriate action.?

    Home Depot did not immediately return a request for comment on the video.

  23. #1273
    Moderator raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    19,441
    Rep Power
    21474864
    So how does he live in Florida but work for the Port Authority? I think he just wanted to try to bully the workers.

  24. #1274
    Senior Member JohnLanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    4,788
    Rep Power
    8008681
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    So how does he live in Florida but work for the Port Authority? I think he just wanted to try to bully the workers.
    Umm Ex-Port Authority staff member from Florida bullying Home Depot employees to violate state orders to wear masks in New Jersey. Or fake cop.

  25. #1275
    Senior Member JohnLanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    4,788
    Rep Power
    8008681
    https://fox40.com/news/california-co...san-francisco/

    SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) — An Uber driver with close to 6,000 rides under his belt and an excellent rating with the ride-sharing company is now thinking about never picking up another passenger.

    Video of a recent altercation that happened after he picked up three passengers in San Francisco has gone viral.

    “Yeah it was something I could have never imagined,” said the driver, who does not want his identity revealed.

    He said the incident happened Sunday afternoon after he picked up three women in San Francisco’s Bayview District. After they got in the car, things started going wrong when the subject of wearing a mask came up.

    “The moment I asked for the mask, they asked me if I have a spare one. To which I replied, ‘I don’t have it,’ and then the lady on the video who pulled the mask on, tried to snatch my phone. She started all this. She started cursing me for not having a mask,” he said.

    In the video, you see that same passenger coughing near his face.

    “It was all happening so fast. I just wanted to get over with it,” the driver said.

    Californians encouraged to ‘double mask’ to better protect from coronavirus spread
    He says the tumultuous ride lasted around 10 minutes.

    Before the women got out of his car, they sprayed something in his vehicle.

    “One lady in red pepper-sprayed probably for three or four seconds,” he said. “Yeah that was definitely pepper spray. I know! Then I realized, ‘This is too much. I need to contact police.’”

    San Francisco police confirmed receiving the report and said their robbery division is investigating the incident. KRON has asked Uber for comment but did not immediately receive a response.

    The incident has caused the driver to have second thoughts about continuing his relationship with the ride-sharing service.

    “I’m not really sure with continuing with Uber or doing another job or anything like that,” he said.

    Shortly after the incident, Lyft tweeted that they would be permanently banning the rider who refused to wear her mask.

    “Although this incident did not involve the Lyft platform, the unacceptable treatment of the driver in this video compelled us to permanently remove the rider from the Lyft community. Driving in a pandemic is not easy. Please wear a mask, respect one another, and be a good person,” the ride-hailing service said.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •