Page 8 of 89 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Ah, CORVID-19, you cruel beast! My Dad died on 21 March, and the State is not allowing us to have a funeral because of the prohibition on gatherings of any size. We get it and we certainly accept it, Dad would never want anyone to risk exposure to the virus. All the same, it's a very strange ending to a storied and wonderful life. There are no flowers to be had. No priests to say a prayer over Dad's body. No graveside mourners. No collective prayers to see him off to heaven. And then.... my cousin's husband died unexpectedly yesterday. One family in mourning for two, and we can't even hug.
    I'm so sorry! Just a thought. An old acquaintance died a couple days ago. The funeral will be webcast on the funeral homes facebook page... a new one on me, but if a service would be meaningful? I know that doesn't meet the need for human touch, but it's something to consider.

https://www.behrenswilson.com/obitua...eVHFFtcuXTcDug
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I'm sorry for your loss KimTisha.

I didn't realize they expect so many people to die from this thing. 2.2 million Americans!

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/17/...air-pollution/
    But its ok. They'll be mainly old, sick people!

lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Ah, CORVID-19, you cruel beast! My Dad died on 21 March, and the State is not allowing us to have a funeral because of the prohibition on gatherings of any size. We get it and we certainly accept it, Dad would never want anyone to risk exposure to the virus. All the same, it's a very strange ending to a storied and wonderful life. There are no flowers to be had. No priests to say a prayer over Dad's body. No graveside mourners. No collective prayers to see him off to heaven. And then.... my cousin's husband died unexpectedly yesterday. One family in mourning for two, and we can't even hug.
    I'm SO sorry for your losses
    I wish there were something I could say or do to make this better for you and your family. Please do the best you all can until you're able to come together and properly mourn and hug each other
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I'm sorry for your loss KimTisha.

I didn't realize they expect so many people to die from this thing. 2.2 million Americans!

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/17/...air-pollution/
    But we must save the rich people's money. Don't you understand that we should be willing to sacrifice our lives for them?

My papa (grandfather) passed on 3/14. It's so weird not to be able to have a funeral, a chance for my whole family to get together to mourn.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

I'm so sorry to all those people that lost people, and can't properly mourn. I can't imagine what you are going through.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

My papa (grandfather) passed on 3/14. It's so weird not to be able to have a funeral, a chance for my whole family to get together to mourn.
    I'm so sorry about your grandfather. It is a very difficult time, our family is struggling with this. All of Dad's children have been taking care of him, but the grandchildren were ordered away a couple of weeks ago, so Mom doesn't have the support and comfort of her grandchildren (and they, her). We are going to attempt a live stream of the "funeral," courtesy of my daughter's tech company. She will set it up and run it from Europe where she is currently in quarantine. Dad would be both amazed and amused.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    But we must save the rich people's money. Don't you understand that we should be willing to sacrifice our lives for them?
    I wonder how many of them realize that they are kinda old too?
    Money can't buy back
    Your youth when you're old
    Or a friend when you're lonely
    Or a love that's grown cold

Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    I wonder how many of them realize that they are kinda old too?
    They can afford to quarantine themselves in homes that are bigger than some resorts that we've only dreamed of going to. Those assholes are going to sit inside and make sure they don't get it.

(CNN)A new internet icon has emerged and his name is Tim.
    As the head of security at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, Tim takes his responsibility of protecting the museum and its collection seriously.
    But with the museum closed to the public and other employees working from home to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, Tim was given an additional duty of managing the museum's social media accounts.
    "I'm new to social media but excited to share what I am told is called 'content' on all of The Cowboy's what I am told are 'platforms' including the Twitter, the Facebook, and the Instagram," Tim wrote in his first post.

In Tim's "content" that he posts daily, he takes followers on a tour through the empty museum, showing off cool artifacts like the hat and eye patch John Wayne wore in "True Grit," the 1969 film in which Wayne won his only Academy Award for his portrayal of US Marshal Rooster Cogburn.

While definitely interesting, his followers seem to be getting a kick out of his posts for a completely different reason -- his dad jokes and wholesome attempts at figuring out social media.
    From writing out "hashtag" to ending each post with "Thanks, Tim," he isn't what you'd call social media savvy, but that's why people are loving him.

"Tim has turned this twitter into a wholesome beacon in frightening times," one Twitter user commented.

"I love this man omg thank you for this wholesome content I'm staying inside for people like you #HashtagThanksTim," another commented.
    CNN has reached out to the museum, both through its Twitter account and its listed phone number -- and is waiting to hear back.
    Let's just hope that once the coronavirus crisis ends, the museum will let Tim keep tweeting.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/us/cowbo ... index.html
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

Well maybe. But none of them "do" for themselves, and the hired help can always bring stuff in and none of them seem to think they need to keep their distance from each other... Look at the idiot Ron Paul...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/europ...ntl/index.html

Prince Charles, Queen Elizabeth II's son and the heir to the British throne, has tested positive for coronavirus and is now self-isolating in Scotland.

The Prince of Wales is only displaying mild symptoms and is otherwise in good health, Clarence House said in a statement. It is not known how the 71-year-old caught the virus because of his busy schedule of public events in recent weeks.

Buckingham Palace said the Queen remained in "good health." Last Tuesday, the Palace said the 93-year-old monarch was canceling public events "as a sensible precaution" and she and her husband, 98-year-old Prince Philip, moved to Windsor Castle on Thursday, a week earlier than planned. She is expected to stay there beyond the Easter period.

In a statement issued by the Palace as they moved to Windsor, the Queen said the world was entering "a period of great concern and uncertainty" and warned that many would need to "find new ways of staying in touch with each other and making sure that loved ones are safe." She said she and her family were ready to play their part.

The Queen last saw Prince Charles briefly after an investiture ceremony for public awards at Buckingham Palace in London on March 12. A Palace spokeswoman said she was "following all the appropriate advice with regard to her welfare."

Following that event, Prince Charles had a number of private meetings with Highgrove and Duchy individuals, all of whom have been made aware of the situation, according to PA Media.
    Prince Charles's wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, has been tested and does not have the virus, according to the statement from Clarence House.
    It read: "The Prince of Wales has tested positive for coronavirus. He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual.
    "The Duchess of Cornwall has also been tested but does not have the virus. In accordance with government and medical advice, the Prince and the Duchess are now self-isolating at home in Scotland. The tests were carried out by the NHS in Aberdeenshire where they met the criteria required for testing.

"It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks."

Prince Charles is the eldest child of the Queen and Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh. As someone over 70, he is considered to be at higher risk than average for coronavirus.

Earlier this month, his office said he was not yet self-isolating because UK government and medical advice at the time were not advising over-70s to do so.

On March 13, Prince Charles and his wife announced they were canceling their spring tour due to the escalating coronavirus pandemic. The pair had been set to visit Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cyprus and Jordan.

My mother-in-law is recovering from coronavirus. She's 79, has COPD and has been hospitalized for pneumonia several times, so it's a miracle she's ok.

She went to Florida at the end February/beginning of March with her friends and was sitting near a woman with a bad cough during a gathering of senior citizens at a Moose Lodge. She got sick after returning home. We didn't see her during that time period, thank goodness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    My mother-in-law is recovering from coronavirus. She's 79, has COPD and has been hospitalized for pneumonia several times, so it's a miracle she's ok.

She went to Florida at the end February/beginning of March with her friends and was sitting near a woman with a bad cough during a gathering of senior citizens at a Moose Lodge. She got sick after returning home. We didn't see her during that time period, thank goodness.
    Hoping she recovers and is okay.

Things are getting scary in NYC and I think that L.A. is not far behind.

About 50 guests gathered on March 5 at a home in the stately suburb of Westport, Conn., to toast the hostess on her 40th birthday and greet old friends, including one visiting from South Africa. They shared reminiscences, a lavish buffet and, unknown to anyone, the coronavirus.

Then they scattered.

The Westport soir?e ? Party Zero in southwestern Connecticut and beyond ? is a story of how, in the Gilded Age of money, social connectedness and air travel, a pandemic has spread at lightning speed. The partygoers ? more than half of whom are now infected ? left that evening for Johannesburg, New York City and other parts of Connecticut and the United States, all seeding infections on the way.

Westport, a town of 28,000 on the Long Island Sound, did not have a single known case of the coronavirus on the day of the party. It had 85 on Monday, up more than 40-fold in 11 days.

At a news conference on Monday afternoon, Gov. Ned Lamont of Connecticut said that 415 people in the state were infected, up from 327 on Sunday night. Ten people have died. Westport, with less than 1 percent of the state?s population, now makes up more than one-fifth of its Covid-19 infections, with 85 cases. Fairfield County, where Westport is, has 270 cases, 65 percent of the state?s total.

Governor Lamont pleaded with federal officials for hospital capacity and protective gear. ?I urge them: Don?t think in terms of New York, think in terms of the hot spots,? he said. ?And that?s New York City, Westchester County ? and Fairfield County.?

Science cannot definitively link those escalating numbers to New York, which now accounts for about half of the coronavirus infections in the United States. But the Westport soir?e ?may be an example of the kind of thing we call a super-spreading event,? said William Hanage, an associate professor of epidemiology at Harvard, especially since some of the partygoers later attended large social events in the New York metropolitan area.

?Some of the early cases in Northern Italy were associated with small towns, and people thought, ?Oh, it?s just in the small towns.? But then you suddenly find cases emerging from Milan Fashion Week and spreading internationally,? Dr. Hanage said. ?Everywhere you think the virus is, it?s ahead of you."

The visitor from Johannesburg ? a 43-year-old businessman, according to a report from South Africa ? fell ill on his flight home, spreading the virus not only in the country but possibly to fellow passengers. The party guests attended other gatherings. They went to work at jobs throughout the New York metropolitan area. Their children went to school and day care, soccer games and after-school sports.
    ImageMitch Palais, 59, picked up a takeout order in Westport on Sunday. Mr. Palais was tested for Covid-19 but has yet to receive results.
    Mitch Palais, 59, picked up a takeout order in Westport on Sunday. Mr. Palais was tested for Covid-19 but has yet to receive results.Credit...Dave Sanders for The New York Times

On the morning of March 8, three days after the party, Julie Endich, one of the guests, woke up in Westport with a fever that spiked to 104 degrees and ?pain, tightness and heaviness like someone was standing on my chest,? she later wrote on Facebook. She knew her symptoms suggested Covid-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, but it would be four days before she could get test results confirming that she had it.

At noon that day, town and county health officials convened a coronavirus forum at the Westport Library. About 60 people attended, and many others watched on Facebook. When asked whether people, especially Westport?s many older residents, should follow federal government guidance and avoid large gatherings, officials were sanguine.

?It is not out in our community that we?re aware of yet,? said Mark A.R. Cooper, the director of the Westport Weston Health District. ?Give it some thought, but again, your risk is low.?

A moderator next passed the microphone to an older man.

?How many test kits do we have in Westport now?? he asked.

?Zero,? Mr. Cooper replied. ?None. They?re not available.?

Three days later, on March 11, Mr. Cooper got a phone call: A South African businessman who had stopped in Westport for a party had fallen ill on the plane home to Johannesburg.

?I thought it was good old man flu,? the businessman told The Sunday Times in South Africa, speaking anonymously in a March 15 article. Unlike in the United States, where tests remain in short supply and results come slowly, the man was tested and received word in a day. He was positive.

Mr. Cooper and his staff of nine dusted off their pandemic response plan and began calling party guests, identified by the Westport hosts. A number of the guests had children. Several hours later, Westport closed its schools and most public buildings. Jim Marpe, the Westport first selectman ? the equivalent of a mayor ? convened a hasty news conference on the steps of the Westport Town Hall.

?We?ll assess the health of those individuals and try to give them some helpful advice in terms of protecting themselves and family and helping prevent further spread,? Mr. Cooper told the crowd.

But, he warned, ?The reality is, once it starts to spread in a community, it?s beyond trying to stop it.?

The health district worked with a private company to conduct drive-through testing for party guests only on March 12. About 38 guests showed up, and more than half their tests came back positive. Ms. Endich, after days of rejected attempts, was tested at Stamford Hospital and received her positive result on March 12.

?What we were trying to do was put our arms around it quickly and snuff it out,? Mr. Cooper said. ?Never did we dream that in a week?s time we were going to be in the middle of an epidemic.?

The number of sick people in Fairfield County then soared. On March 16, Governor Lamont closed restaurants and public buildings statewide. Even in a well-connected, affluent town like Westport, contact tracing quickly overwhelmed health officials. Beyond the 50 attendees, ?there were another 120 on our dance list,? some of whom probably were not at the party, Mr. Cooper said. One of the party guests later acknowledged attending an event with 420 other people, he said. The officials gave up.

?They think at least 100 times as many people are infected as what the tests are showing,? Arpad Krizsan, who owns a financial advisory firm in Westport and lives in the community, said on Saturday. ?And everybody goes to the same four shops.?

Worry, rumors and recriminations engulfed the town. Political leaders fielded hundreds of emails and phone calls from residents terrified that their children or vulnerable family members had been exposed. Who threw the party, and who attended? They wanted to know. Rumors flew that some residents were telling health officials they had attended the party so they could obtain a scarce test.

Officials refused to disclose the names of the hosts or any guests, citing federal and state privacy rules. Mr. Marpe posted a videotaped statement to the town website on March 20. ?The fact of the matter is that this could have been any one of us, and rumor-mongering and vilification of individuals is not who we are as a civil community,? he said.

As the disease spread, many residents kept mum, worried about being ostracized by their neighbors and that their children would be kicked off coveted sports teams or miss school events.

One local woman compared going public with a Covid-19 diagnosis to ?having an S.T.D.?

?I don?t think that?s a crazy comparison,? said Will Haskell, the state senator who represents Westport. He has been fielding frantic phone calls from constituents.

Most residents were exercising recommended vigilance, Mr. Haskell said, but one call that stuck out to him was from a woman awaiting test results whose entire family had been exposed to the virus. ?She wanted to know whether or not to tell her friends and social network,? he said, because she was worried about ?social stigma.?

Mr. Haskell, who has been delivering his grandparents? medication to their Westport doorstep and leaving it outside, was incredulous. ?This is life or death,? he said in an interview. ?Westport really is a cautionary tale of what we?re soon to see.?

The party hosts remain unknown to most, though speculation is rife. Two of the guests, Ms. Endich and Cheryl Chutter, an attendee who lives in Stamford, have identified themselves.

Though she said she was ?relentless? in demanding a test, Ms. Chutter did not learn of her diagnosis until March 17. She notified her son?s private school, and ?they sent him home in an Uber and closed the school three hours later,? she said. His youth soccer league scrapped the rest of the season for 1,500 players after she informed team leaders that she had stood with other parents cheering on the sidelines before she got sick.
    I

Ms. Chutter and Ms. Endich both emphasized the kindness of their neighbors, who spontaneously delivered food, water and encouragement. Ms. Chutter said health officials called daily to check on her. She is also aware of blaming and efforts to out the party attendees.

?It?s no use pointing fingers,? she said in an interview. ?It?s not like you?re going to lock that one person up when there are millions of people in the world who have it. We?re so past that.?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/u...YAKdH7L11saXLc

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post

scary times. Hope she continues to do well.

My sister cancelled her baby shower next weekend. Probably for the best. Sucks I can't see my family, but good that I'll have 5 days off from work and can forget about this shit for a little bit.

This is getting insane. The mayor here put in a 'stay at home' ordinance. Of course, no one is staying home. I'm just waiting to catch it from work one day. People are gross.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Why?

Because I don't like anal penetration sex between men, I don't.

Just because I don't like anal sex, doesn't make me any less gay or unable to be loved.

I can't be the only one out here, I'm just not. Don't worry about it. Mind your fucking business.

We haven't had any confirmed cases in our part of the state until yesterday. A healthcare worker who works at a cancer center was diagnosed. She exposed two doctors, 10 other clinic workers and more than 100 cancer patients. I'm horrified at what might come of this.

Hoping she recovers and is okay.

Things are getting scary in NYC and I think that L.A. is not far behind.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    That's scary, Tup! Glad she's doing ok! So no one else in the family got sick? Did any of the other group of friends get sick?
    So far, no one else is sick. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law were hanging out in her tiny apartment while she was quarantined and waiting for her test results, which is ridiculous. They should've been dropping off her groceries and leaving instead of hanging around. They were like, "Well, she was staying in her bedroom, and we stayed in the kitchen." Fortunately they hardly ever go anywhere, but still ... foolishness.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    scary times. Hope she continues to do well.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Sucks that you can't see your family, but I was worried when you mentioned getting together for a baby shower. Is your sister worried in general? I have a friend that is due in about 6 weeks and she doesn't seem the least bit worried. I would be afraid to go into a hospital for another reason right now.
    She's a little worried. She works at a grocery store (we actually work for the same company), constant interaction with people, so it's a little scary. I'll hopefully go there in June around when she's due, hopefully things will be almost normal by then.

A girl that works in my department got sent home yesterday for having a fever. As far as I know, she doesn't plan on getting tested for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Why?

Because I don't like anal penetration sex between men, I don't.

Just because I don't like anal sex, doesn't make me any less gay or unable to be loved.

I can't be the only one out here, I'm just not. Don't worry about it. Mind your fucking business.

Junior Member InsecureAttachment's Avatar
    I was a Peace Corps volunteer who was evacuated from my country due to the pandemic. My cohort of 30+ people were all sent out on international flights through Asia (1 in Europe) with a little bottle of hand sanitizer and instructions to "just try not to touch anything". We had been in one of the the few countries untouched by COVID-19 up until a few days ago, when they identified their first 2 cases :/

A baby died today from this chinese virus, they said babies were safe, shit sucks! This shit is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by InsecureAttachment View Post
    I was a Peace Corps volunteer who was evacuated from my country due to the pandemic. My cohort of 30+ people were all sent out on international flights through Asia (1 in Europe) with a little bottle of hand sanitizer and instructions to "just try not to touch anything". We had been in one of the the few countries untouched by COVID-19 up until a few days ago, when they identified their first 2 cases :/
    Please stay safe. Follow the lead of other countries and lock down now. Since the count is so low where you are, you guys can likely all but rid yourselves of it in about 3 weeks. That's depending on if your country is still allowing travel. Thank you for coming and joining us!

Junior Member InsecureAttachment's Avatar
    Please stay safe. Follow the lead of other countries and lock down now. Since the count is so low where you are, you guys can likely all but rid yourselves of it in about 3 weeks. That's depending on if your country is still allowing travel. Thank you for coming and joining us!
    I was in Myanmar, but Peace Corps required all volunteers across the globe to evacuate unfortunately. It looks like my host country is working hard to make sure it stays under control, which I am so grateful for. An outbreak in country would likely be devastating and take a long time to recover, due to the infrastructure of their health system and availability of resources. They were taking some measures prior to the two individuals who entered the country with COVID-19, which was nice to see.

Thread Information