Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pam Robb (71) killed by a dog at rescue where she worked

Pam Robb (71) killed by a dog at rescue where she worked

https://www.wesh.com/article/florida...e-dog/39132048

A Florida woman was attacked and killed by a dog in Oakland Park on Thursday.

NBC Miami reports it happened just before 11 a.m. at 100+ Abandoned Dogs of Everglades Florida.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-25-2022 at 05:16 PM.

Ugh this is how Im afraid Im going to go. I wonder what the dog's history was? RIP Pam you were trying to help and it got you killed.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Ugh this is how Im afraid Im going to go. I wonder what the dog's history was? RIP Pam you were trying to help and it got you killed.
    Me too.

RIP Pam

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Me too.

RIP Pam
    Same.

Her Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pam.robb.10
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Her FB is filled with tons of posts about animals. Truly a sweet woman who devoted her life to help innocents. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    Her FB is filled with tons of posts about animals. Truly a sweet woman who devoted her life to help innocents. RIP.
    Yeah, she dedicated her life to rescue. It's always a risk when you're working with animals. We can sometimes forget the kind of damage they can do and how unpredictable they can be. It's super sad that we lost one of the good ones this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Yeah, she dedicated her life to rescue. It's always a risk when you're working with animals. We can sometimes forget the kind of damage they can do and how unpredictable they can be. It's super sad that we lost one of the good ones this way.
    Yep. Very sad.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-25-2022 at 05:16 PM.

I think it's unfair to say that. You rescue Chows and they're also targeted by breed specific hate. Chows used to be used as fighting dogs as well and I've worked with aggressive Chows myself. Since then, you find less aggression in Chows because they aren't acquired for that reason as much these days.

Pitbulls never had this label until they were used for fighting. Once they got that label, people started seeking them out and raising them specifically for fighting and for security, training aggression in to them. Since they're now the flavor of the century, many that are rescued are rescued from people that raised them to be aggressive or abused them. They used to be called "Nanny Dogs" because they were amazing family pets that would look after the children. Humans changed that. Not the dog.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-25-2022 at 05:17 PM.

Welp looks a pit or a cane corso.

A dog that looked exactly like that came after me once, but it was my fault. She went to run away, but still had her leash on, so I grabbed the leash and she bit the shit out of my hand. She just wanted to get away, I should have let her go. I was scared to death when she ran towards me because she had a big head and mouth like that. I thought "welp Im fucked".

ETA: Another dog that looked like that was waking up from surgery badly (the tennis match watch) and so I laid down with him on the ground and put a pillow under his head. I was snuggling with him and everyone was looking at me weird. After about 20 minutes, I looked at his chart and there was a big WATCH on it (meaning the dog was agressive). 1. I was a little pissed that people saw my face in his and failed to tell me he was aggressive and 2. That the sweet dog snuggling on my lap was aggressive. Its so weird how different animals are with different people.
    Last edited by Angiebla; 02-18-2022 at 02:34 PM.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Pitbulls never had this label until they were used for fighting. Once they got that label, people started seeking them out and raising them specifically for fighting and for security, training aggression in to them. Since they're now the flavor of the century, many that are rescued are rescued from people that raised them to be aggressive or abused them. They used to be called "Nanny Dogs" because they were amazing family pets that would look after the children. Humans changed that. Not the dog.
    Pitbulls were good with people. They were selected and bred to be, the "dogmen" wanted to be able to handle the dogs and pull them off their targets without being injured. But it's possible to turn any dog mean and of course selective breeding goes both ways. Breed the best most stable, or breed for hair-triggered and mean. It's tragic, but I'm leary around them for sure. But to be fair, I was expecting some sort of Pit or similar dog, was pretty sure it wouldn't be a toy poodle...

My own Orbit, a dog who would lay down and let me make a rug out of him, was great with women and kids, but let a man, especially a man with a baseball cap make one false move? Look out. I have to wonder who mistreated him so.
    Last edited by puzzld; 02-18-2022 at 03:27 PM.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

I think it's unfair to say that. You rescue Chows and they're also targeted by breed specific hate. Chows used to be used as fighting dogs as well and I've worked with aggressive Chows myself. Since then, you find less aggression in Chows because they aren't acquired for that reason as much these days.

Chows will bite, but do a search and tell me how many stories you find where chows have killed people vs stories where chows (or some euphemism for them) have killed people. It doesn't matter whether humans changed them, they are a garbage breed that are dangerous now. If you go into shelters (I do all the time) the shelters are full of them and they are mean. Yes, I am scared of them, but after all I have seen I have good reason to be. I know a lot of people love their pits and think they are wonderful dogs..until they eat their kids. Whether you like it or not, the fact remains that 99 out of 100 human deaths at the mouths of dogs is the result of pits. Sorry, not sorry that I think they are dangerous dogs.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 02-18-2022 at 04:10 PM.

Chows will bite, but do a search and tell me how many stories you find where chows have killed people vs stories where chows (or some euphemism for them) have killed people. It doesn't matter whether humans changed them, they are a garbage breed that are dangerous now. If you go into shelters (I do all the time) the shelters are full of them and they are mean. Yes, I am scared of them, but after all I have seen I have good reason to be. I know a lot of people love their pits and think they are wonderful dogs..until they eat their kids. Whether you like it or not, the fact remains that 99 out of 100 human deaths at the mouths of dogs is the result of pits. Sorry, not sorry that I think they are dangerous dogs.
    Chows do more than just bite:

The Chow Chow was responsible for 8 deaths while the Doberman was responsible for 9 human deaths. The Saint Bernard was responsible for 7 human deaths and the Great Dane was also responsible for 7 deaths.*
    https://www.streetdirectory.com/trav...r%207%20deaths.

How many Pits are in this country versus people killed by them. By the statistics, it's low. How many Chows versus Pits? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but grouping ALL pitbulls together and claiming they're ALL aggressive is not unlike doing that with specific humans. Keep that in mind.

I havent seen a lot of injuries done to people, but have seen the damage pits do to other dogs. One I will never forget was a small toy breed dog with his jaw hanging on by a string of flesh. A pitbull grabbed him by the mouth under a fence and wouldnt let go. I have seen dogs faces ripped off. Its horrible.

Chows do more than just bite:

https://www.streetdirectory.com/trav...r%207%20deaths.

How many Pits are in this country versus people killed by them. By the statistics, it's low. How many Chows versus Pits? I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but grouping ALL pitbulls together and claiming they're ALL aggressive is not unlike doing that with specific humans. Keep that in mind.
    From the article you linked:
    Labrador Retriever was responsible for 1 death while Lab mixes were responsible for 4 deaths. The following dogs were responsible for killing one human each during these twenty years: The Bullmastiff, Cheasapeake Bay Retriever, West Highland Terrier, Japanese Hunting Dog, Newfoundland, Coonhound, Sheepdog, Rhodesian Ridgeback and cocker Spaniel.
    Any dog can bite and kill. No surprise there. Dogs have strength and teeth. Labs are man's best friend but 5 of them killed someone in the year they are looking at.

From another article:

https://www.askadamskutner.com/dog-b...-to-dog-breed/

[QUOTE]In order to understand the overall statistics for dog bites in America, it is best, to begin with the Pitbull. No dog carries a more heinous reputation, but are these fears clouded in myth or reality? Let us check the statistical period of 2005 to 2017. According to Canine Journal, an organization that compiles and analyzes all of the dog bite attacks in the country, Pit bulls accounted for 284 deaths in those years. This is a staggering 65% of the overall dog related deaths, at 433 Americans killed between 2005 and 2017. Another dog known for its brutal reputation is the Rottweiler. If you combine the figures for both dogs, you?ll find 76% of the total fatal dog attacks. These numbers may appear shocking, but they could say something else. Instead of arguing that Pitbulls bite more, one could say they are more efficient once they strike. Whereas a bite from a smaller dog might not be fatal.

/QUOTE]

I think the highlighted text is important. They are powerful and good at biting, on top of the known personality issues that have been bred into a lot of them nowadays.

As far as chows, I have personally laid hands on over 500 rescue chows, and the only time i have ever been bit by a dog was 1. my chow that bit when another dog attacked her and I jumped into separate them like a dumb-dumb and ended up in the ER. 2. A poodle that was running loose. 3. A Mastiff that was at a chow rescue. Could I be bit by a chow? Sure. I don't deny that. However I think that the fact that I have worked hands on with that many chows without getting bit by any of the rescue chows says something. Who knows though, maybe I'm just lucky or don't taste good and they know this.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-25-2022 at 05:18 PM.

I'm not trying to be obtuse or start an argument here. I'm just pointing out how unfair it is to group a certain breed as being predominately aggressive by nature instead of nurture.

Pitbulls make up 20% of the population of all dogs in America. The closest breed after that are German Shepherds at 6.3%. Chows don't even make the list.

When you have that many Pitbulls in the population, of course there are going to be more cases of people killed by them. Add in what I said before about the motivations of why people want them and how they purposefully raise them, it's no wonder it's usually Pitbulls we hear about.

However, there are plenty of deaths attributed to other breeds as well so if you take in per capita, dogs in general (especially large breeds) can be dangerous. Not just one breed and not all dogs of that breed. That's all I'm pointing out. I don't expect you to get a pitbull, however as I stated, I don't think it's fair to blame an entire breed when the entire breed didn't attack this woman.

https://www.pitbullinfo.org/pit-bulls-population.html

I'm not trying to fight either. We can just agree to disagree on this one.

Well, pound for pound the chihuahua is the scariest thing this side of the Tasmania Devil. But thank doG they are small.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    I love dogs.

I know there are nice pits.

I will still never be completely comfortable around one (as comfortable as one should be around dogs, so not completely completely)

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

When I rescued my Franklynn...her mom was an American Bulldog and dad was unknown. Mom was pregnant when she was rescued. I've always wanted an American Bulldog or a Boxer so I jumped at the chance to rescue this pup. Now that she is grown, it's pretty clear that she would be considered a pittie mix. My first dog was a Rottie. My next rescue was a Bull Mastiff who was never socialized and hated other dogs. But I have always been afraid of pitbulls. But I am not afraid of mine. She is such a goofy doll. She sleeps under my blankets and has welcome 12 fosters into her home. One she wasn't crazy about but he never got hurt. Now at 6 years old, she shares her home with two kitties and snuggles with them endlessly. She loves to chase squirrels but last year one fell out of a tree, dead, and she just stood there and looked at me until I came over to get it. There are good pits I swear. I am still hesitant around other people's dogs, but my girl has my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by jennafyre View Post
    When I rescued my Franklynn...her mom was an American Bulldog and dad was unknown. Mom was pregnant when she was rescued. I've always wanted an American Bulldog or a Boxer so I jumped at the chance to rescue this pup. Now that she is grown, it's pretty clear that she would be considered a pittie mix. My first dog was a Rottie. My next rescue was a Bull Mastiff who was never socialized and hated other dogs. But I have always been afraid of pitbulls. But I am not afraid of mine. She is such a goofy doll. She sleeps under my blankets and has welcome 12 fosters into her home. One she wasn't crazy about but he never got hurt. Now at 6 years old, she shares her home with two kitties and snuggles with them endlessly. She loves to chase squirrels but last year one fell out of a tree, dead, and she just stood there and looked at me until I came over to get it. There are good pits I swear. I am still hesitant around other people's dogs, but my girl has my heart.
    So you got her as a puppy?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Well, pound for pound the chihuahua is the scariest thing this side of the Tasmania Devil. But thank doG they are small.
    My veterinarian always said he'd rather face five cranky pitbulls than a single chihuahua.

One of my favorite buddies is a white pitbull named Duke, but I'd never own one, especially with small children around. It's simple risk analysis, the numbers don't lie. IMO, for the owner/potential victim, it is irrelevant if it's nature or nurture that makes them aggressive. There are humans who kill because they have been mistreated and raised in a violent environment (often used as a mitigating factor in sentencing trials), but I wouldn't invite them into my home to live either.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

So you got her as a puppy?
    Yes she was 8 weeks when I took her home but I was visiting weekly since she was 4 weeks. Maybe I got lucky and her demeanour/DNA is more Amer. Bulldog than pit. With one foster we had an issue with Frankie's paw play with a less than 5 pound chi haha mix (my term for chihuahua). Petunia the chi haha held her own but I was too afraid Frankie would accidentally hurt her.

Side note: Petunia is what I used to call my vagina when I was young and ridiculous so that was an awkward moment for me calling out Petunia!

Back on track:Realized this woman was 71. She didn't look that in her pics at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jennafyre View Post
    Yes she was 8 weeks when I took her home but I was visiting weekly since she was 4 weeks. Maybe I got lucky and her demeanour/DNA is more Amer. Bulldog than pit. With one foster we had an issue with Frankie's paw play with a less than 5 pound chi haha mix (my term for chihuahua). Petunia the chi haha held her own but I was too afraid Frankie would accidentally hurt her.

Side note: Petunia is what I used to call my vagina when I was young and ridiculous so that was an awkward moment for me calling out Petunia!

Back on track:Realized this woman was 71. She didn't look that in her pics at all.
    I think this dog had a questionable background.

I thought you got Petunia from Pete and Pete. Do you remember that show?

I think this dog had a questionable background.
    See, this is a problem I have with many rescues. My experience has been that they think EVERY dog is rescue-able, even those with a questionable background (or extreme medical issues). I watch a YT rescue channel and they have an abandoned pitbull. They know nothing about the dog's history except that it is extremely aggressive. A dedicated dog trainer spent a month trying to assess and rehabilitate the dog, and it's incredibly obedient and sweet - until it's around other dogs, and then it goes apeshit. It will be walking among them happily wagging its tail, and suddenly lunge (although they keep it muzzled so it can't rip the throats out of the other dogs). When they talk about the dog's progress, they use terms like, "very easily triggered... overreaction... disturbing... out of nowhere... extremely violent, etc." These are the experts saying these things after a month of daily one-on-one training.

But do they see this dog as dangerous? Will they humanely euthanize him? Of course not! They speculate and agonize about the origins of the violence, "what got him here," and how they can help him overcome it so he can find his "furever home!" They tell us the dog will have to be adopted out to "very special people" who "understand his issues," have no children or other pets, and agree to follow their rules to ensure the dog "doesn't come to any harm." You can translate that last bit as "to insure the dog doesn't kill or seriously maim someone and have to be euthanized." G*d forbid he ever escapes from the conscientious bleeding hearts who adopt him.

I don't care how much you love animals, why would you even think about putting a dog like this out into the world? What kind of insanity makes someone ignore all the warning signs and think this dog would be suitable for anyone? Rescues are on the front lines in the dog adoption world and should be making sure a dog like this isn't [literally] unleashed on society, and this infuriates me.

YES, it's a beautiful dog. YES, he's adorable when he's not trying to kill other dogs, but I'm sorry/not sorry for thinking this dog should be euthanized, end of.

Also, I'm not basing my feelings about this on that one YT channel. I've worked at a veterinary clinic, been involved with rescues, and have many friends who rescue. I've seen them focusing their extremely limited resources on dogs like this one, while sweet, innocent, NOT vicious dogs get euthanized because rescues can't get them out of the shelters. And yeah, I'm also basing it on all of the pit bull rescue people who have been articles on this website over the years.

Uh-oh, I feel an overreaction coming on...

Last edited by KimTisha; 02-20-2022 at 11:40 AM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Thread Information