Thread: New Jersey cop (Edward Nortrup, 39) fatally shoots himself after wrecking car

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Jersey cop (Edward Nortrup, 39) fatally shoots himself after wrecking car

https://nypost.com/2020/01/20/new-je...-wrecking-car/

An off-duty New Jersey police officer fatally shot himself in the head after crashing his SUV into two parked vehicles ? and as first responders were preparing to free him from the wreck, officials said.

The 39-year-old Roselle Park cop lost control of his SUV about noon Sunday on Broad Street in Matawan and struck the two vehicles before partially rolling over, Chris Swendeman, spokesman for the Monmouth County Prosecutor?s Office, told The Post.

?As first responders left the vehicle to get equipment to help with the extraction, the driver located a firearm and fatally shot himself,? Swendeman said in an email.

The 13-year veteran was identified as Edward Nortrup, a resident of Aberdeen, NJ.

Nortrup ?removed a gun in his possession and fired one shot tragically taking his own life,? Roselle Park Police Chief Daniel McCaffery said in a statement, adding, ?We are grieving as a department for the loss of our officer.?

He told The Post: ?He was very well-received by all who encountered him.?

Nortrup served in the Detective Bureau and was a member of the Union County Emergency Response Team, according to a post on the department?s Facebook page.

There were 17 police suicides last year and 37 since 2016 in the Garden State, according to NJ.com.

The state Attorney General?s Office recently launched the New Jersey Resiliency Program for Law Enforcement, which will require every officer by the end of 2022 to attend a two-day training session on mental health.

The head of the New Jersey State Policemen?s Benevolent Association said a call about a cop?s suicide is the worst kind they can get.

?I always feel like this is preventable. It?s not like a line-of-duty of death. There?s always danger out there but these are the deaths that are hard because somehow we missed this guy and didn?t get him help,? Patrick Colligan told New Jersey 101.5.

Did he try to kill himself in a car wreck first? I’m so confused.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Did he try to kill himself in a car wreck first? I’m so confused.
    Based off what I've read, that is one theory. The other is that he was driving drunk, and once he crashed he knew it was over so he killed himself.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Did he try to kill himself in a car wreck first? I?m so confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Based off what I've read, that is one theory. The other is that he was driving drunk, and once he crashed he knew it was over so he killed himself.

I thought of *both* these scenarios, myself.

It will be interesting to see what the investigation finds out.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

Ooh....wonder why they didn't test him? Surely the autopsy would show?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Ooh....wonder why they didn't test him? Surely the autopsy would show?
    Thin blue line is my only guess. It would be a simple thing to do, and I can't imagine they wouldn't do it with any other random person.

i assume they took a tissue sample or blood to test post mortem, but they were likely more concerned with extraction before administering the breathalyzer.

Thread Information