Page 3 of 100 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: MDS Dieters-Come here for support, advice, etc.

Re: MDS Dieters-Come here for support, advice, etc.

i just lost 30+ pounds.  wanna know how i did it?

I GOT MY ASS IN THE GYM.  that's really the only way to lose any signifigant weight.

eat 5 times a day... my plan?

special K for breakfast...
    60 calorie jello....
    lean cuisine....
    100 calorie snack... (nabisco makes AWESOME ones)
    and a lean dinner... (fish is good... and very little carbs with lots of veggies)

i drink diet coke and aquafine flavor splash (NO calories)

when you don't eat, your metabolism slows waaaay down.  then when you DO eat, it's all stored as fat.  so EAT, damnit.  starving yourself is NOT the way to go.  the more often you eat, the faster your metabolism works and the faster you burn calories!

i go to the gym 3-4 times a week w/ 40+ minutes of cardio and about 30 minutes of strength training (sit ups, free weights, etc.)

and people, if i can do it, anyone can.  i was the BIGGEST slacker when it came to working out and eating right.  but once you get into the swing of things (and see how AMAZING you feel after a workout) it's really not so bad.  MOTIVATION is key. :D

Don&#39;t argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.<br /><br />[quote author=bowieluva link=action=profile;u=5553 date=1236809919]<br />ALEX IS WATCHING YOU THROUGH A HOLE IN HIS FACE [/quote]

yeah i've been going to the gym 5 or so days a week and i'm already noticing a difference and people have been commenting on it. i usually do 30 min. of cardio and some light weights or else take a class (spin, pilates, yoga, dance classes, etc.).&nbsp; i agree with you BD, working out is definitely the way to go.

i try to eat healthy too, but i slip up on that a lot. i really love food, and it's not really worth it to me to be skinny but unable to eat good food ever.
    [quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=4526.msg172502#msg172502 date=1170561506]<br />How can you have any lack of love for SG!?!?<br /><br />I tink shes more kewler then most!<br />[/quote]

[quote author=saidgrace link=topic=8000.msg407221#msg407221 date=1181578404]
    yeah i've been going to the gym 5 or so days a week and i'm already noticing a difference and people have been commenting on it. i usually do 30 min. of cardio and some light weights or else take a class (spin, pilates, yoga, dance classes, etc.).&nbsp; i agree with you BD, working out is definitely the way to go.

i try to eat healthy too, but i slip up on that a lot. i really love food, and it's not really worth it to me to be skinny but unable to eat good food ever.
    [/quote]

i LOVE food, too.&nbsp; that regimen was the beginning of my diet and once i lost that first 30 lbs. i stopped eating like that.&nbsp; i pretty much eat what i want now because i can not say NO to lo mein and mcdonalds and waffle house.&nbsp; i have GOT to have some of that in my life. :lol:&nbsp; but to jump start any diet, eating like that is the way to go.&nbsp;

i would much rather be 5 lbs over my ideal weight by eating whatever i want then to be my ideal weight and miserable b/c i can't eat what i want.
    Don&#39;t argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.<br /><br />[quote author=bowieluva link=action=profile;u=5553 date=1236809919]<br />ALEX IS WATCHING YOU THROUGH A HOLE IN HIS FACE [/quote]

[quote author=angel_kisses1025 link=topic=8000.msg406525#msg406525 date=1181537301]
    Walking 6 miles (mostly uphill) 2 times a week has done wonders for my legs.&nbsp;

Now I just gotta start working on my arms.&nbsp; I have no upper body strength.&nbsp; I have about 25 more pounds to lose to get to my goal weight.
    [/quote]

25? You can do it! :)

The death of my cute body came when I got a car. I used to walk 7 miles a day, 4 days a week, to get to and from school. After two semesters of 28 mile walks per week, I had the tightest ass and legs on Earth. Having no car was a weird blessing in a way.

My main effort lately has been to get our garage clean enough to where we can set up a TV/DVD player and our treadmill, elliptical and weights. I've probably burned plenty of calories lugging the shit in the garage all over the place, too.

I agree with what Wick said about the plank, when I was working with a trainer, between every move to new machinery, he always threw in planks. They look so simple in pictures, but after a few seconds, you're muscles are burning. That and doing lunges from one station to the next. And just having good posture! Sucking it in and not slumping and hunching forward.

As far as nutritional foods - Kashi! Their cereals, shakes and bars are FULL of protein and fiber, with not nearly as much sugar and carbs as some of the other brands. Also, if you want super fast fiber filled, protein filled meals - in the soup aisle you can find Add-Water Split Pea or Black Bean soups. The black bean is nasty and makes me want to ralph, but the split pea is really not too bad. One container has 1 gram of fat, 8 grams of fiber, 2 grams of sugar and 13 grams of protein. Be warned, one little container will fill you up, and you'll have farts like whoa until your body gets used to all that fiber.
    With all this talk of thinking outside the box, I am beginning to wonder what&#039;s left inside the box. -Me

[quote author=beautiful.disaster link=topic=8000.msg407223#msg407223 date=1181578720]
    i LOVE food, too.&nbsp; that regimen was the beginning of my diet and once i lost that first 30 lbs. i stopped eating like that.&nbsp; i pretty much eat what i want now because i can not say NO to lo mein and mcdonalds and waffle house.&nbsp; i have GOT to have some of that in my life. :lol:&nbsp; but to jump start any diet, eating like that is the way to go.&nbsp;

i would much rather be 5 lbs over my ideal weight by eating whatever i want then to be my ideal weight and miserable b/c i can't eat what i want.
    [/quote]
    YAY!! I was so happy to see this thread as I am stalling going to they gym and I haven't gone in a month since my step-dad died. :-( I have had no motivation.
    OK.. Nice to know there are women out there too that struggle. :)&nbsp;

farts like whoa!&nbsp; :lol:

[quote author=beautiful.disaster link=topic=8000.msg407231#msg407231 date=1181579060]
    farts like whoa!&nbsp; :lol:
    [/quote]

No lie.
    Your ass WILL smell like death. It is the curse of the Add-Water Split Pea Soup.
    Always fun to eat it when you have a stuffy nose so you can't smell your stank farts, only to poison the rest of the family with your noxious fumes.
    With all this talk of thinking outside the box, I am beginning to wonder what&#039;s left inside the box. -Me

i know a lot of people may not have this option, but what has really helped me has been taking classes. i'm really bad at making myself do stuff, but if i all have to do is show up and somebody ELSE will tell me exactly what to do, it's much better. one of the biggest draws of my gym is that all the classes come free with your membership, which is really nice.

my biggest downfall is that i fall really easily into the mindset &quot;this one ______ (trip to the gym, push up, cheeseburger) is not going to make any difference.&quot;
    [quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=4526.msg172502#msg172502 date=1170561506]<br />How can you have any lack of love for SG!?!?<br /><br />I tink shes more kewler then most!<br />[/quote]

[quote author=saidgrace link=topic=8000.msg407240#msg407240 date=1181579444]
    i know a lot of people may not have this option, but what has really helped me has been taking classes. i'm really bad at making myself do stuff, but if i all have to do is show up and somebody ELSE will tell me exactly what to do, it's much better. one of the biggest draws of my gym is that all the classes come free with your membership, which is really nice.

my biggest downfall is that i fall really easily into the mindset &quot;this one ______ (trip to the gym, push up, cheeseburger) is not going to make any difference.&quot;
    [/quote]

I completely agree. The classes keep things interesting- there are days when I couldn't fathom getting on a treadmill but knowing that I could take a class instead got me to the gym. Last month I bought some personal training sessions because I was just not making any progress. It's been a real help to me.

I also LOVE food. All kinds of food. That part of being healthy is my biggest challenge. And was sucks is that I know what I should eat but I still don't stick to it consistently.&nbsp;

[quote author=Redheaded MILF link=topic=8000.msg407229#msg407229 date=1181579016]
    YAY!! I was so happy to see this thread as I am stalling going to they gym and I haven't gone in a month since my step-dad died. :-( I have had no motivation.
    OK.. Nice to know there are women out there too that struggle. :)&nbsp;
    [/quote]

you are not alone, hunny. :)

[quote author=JustGretch link=topic=8000.msg407226#msg407226 date=1181578897]
    25? You can do it! :)

[/quote]

Thanks!&nbsp; I am very happy to see the participation on this thread!&nbsp; I have noticed that support makes a great difference when trying to improve yourself.

My biggest problem is the fact that I have terrible eating habits.

There are days when I'll eat anything and everything that sounds good - then I'll go without eating or eating VERY little for a few days.&nbsp;
    It's really hard for me to control...but at least I try to control it.

[quote author=beautiful.disaster link=topic=8000.msg407216#msg407216 date=1181578141]

and people, if i can do it, anyone can.&nbsp; i was the BIGGEST slacker when it came to working out and eating right.&nbsp; but once you get into the swing of things (and see how AMAZING you feel after a workout) it's really not so bad.&nbsp; MOTIVATION is key. :D

[/quote]

So true. I thought people who said they got a high from exercising were nuts, but I feel on top of the world after a nice, long walk!

It helps knowing that I see so many beautiful views on my walks. I literally live on the side of a mountain.

[quote author=angel_kisses1025 link=topic=8000.msg407267#msg407267 date=1181581230]
    So true. I thought people who said they got a high from exercising were nuts, but I feel on top of the world after a nice, long walk!

It helps knowing that I see so many beautiful views on my walks. I literally live on the side of a mountain.

[/quote]

aww.&nbsp; what a cute picture!!

good scenery is always nice... i get lots of that at my gym.&nbsp; TOTAL HOTTIES, e'ry where.

[quote author=beautiful.disaster link=topic=8000.msg407323#msg407323 date=1181583870]
    aww.&nbsp; what a cute picture!!

good scenery is always nice... i get lots of that at my gym.&nbsp; TOTAL HOTTIES, e'ry where.
    [/quote]

Yes, I gotta get my ass to the gym.&nbsp; I have been way too self conscience in the past to work out in front of people due to my size.&nbsp; I think the hotties might be a bit of a distraction for me though.&nbsp;

[quote author=angel_kisses1025 link=topic=8000.msg407325#msg407325 date=1181584131]
    Yes, I gotta get my ass to the gym.&nbsp; I have been way too self conscience in the past to work out in front of people due to my size.&nbsp; I think the hotties might be a bit of a distraction for me though.&nbsp;
    [/quote]

ha.&nbsp; i always get pissed at the really skinny girls working out.&nbsp; i'm like &quot;GO HOME AND EAT, bitches&quot;.&nbsp; you shouldn't be self-conscience!&nbsp; at least you're there working out instead of sitting on your ass.&nbsp;

It's official, today I hit 30.2 Lbs lost! I am so ridiculously excited!!!! WOOT WOOT!

[quote author=MissLyss link=topic=8000.msg407364#msg407364 date=1181585801]
    It's official, today I hit 30.2 Lbs lost! I am so ridiculously excited!!!! WOOT WOOT!
    [/quote]

And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Congrats, Congrats, Congrats!&nbsp; It is the best feeling, isn't it?

[quote author=beautiful.disaster link=topic=8000.msg407259#msg407259 date=1181580390]
    you are not alone, hunny. :)
    [/quote]
    Awww.. thanks beautiful. I DO feel alone in that it seems no one around me has any &quot;issues&quot; LOL. Either they don't care or they already look perfect.
    But the good news is, I went to the gym today, did 1 hour of Pilates and ran for 20 min. I'm Pooped.&nbsp; &nbsp; :-o

[quote author=Redheaded MILF link=topic=8000.msg407383#msg407383 date=1181586467]
    Awww.. thanks beautiful. I DO feel alone in that it seems no one around me has any &quot;issues&quot; LOL. Either they don't care or they already look perfect.
    But the good news is, I went to the gym today, did 1 hour of Pilates and ran for 20 min. I'm Pooped.&nbsp; &nbsp; :-o
    [/quote]

It feels good to have accomplished something though, doesn't it?&nbsp;

Wow.&nbsp; Great thread, everybody.&nbsp;

I've always had issues with my weight.&nbsp; I swam competitively all through gradeschool and highschool.&nbsp; Major body image issues from having to be in a swimsuit 24-7.&nbsp; I didn't get my girl stuff (sorry guys) until I was 16, and it totally made my body do a 180.&nbsp; Ever since then I've struggled, weight wise.&nbsp; About a year ago, I was diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome.&nbsp; Having that definitely doesn't help me control my weight issues.&nbsp; It's really hard, you have to sort of treat yourself like a diabetic and I can only consume 300 calories (well, I'm supposed to only consume) in a sitting.&nbsp; My body can't process it otherwise.&nbsp;

On top of all that crap, I'm having my thyroid removed next Thursday.&nbsp; In the coming months, I'm going to be a guinea pig when it comes to hypothyroid medications. The reason I'm blabbering on about all this shit, is because SOMEtimes, the answer isn't &quot;oh just go to the gym and eat right&quot;.&nbsp; I run my ass off all day long and I eat as well as I can with the schedule I keep.&nbsp; My weight is still a constant battle, just to maintain, and it's going to be for the rest of my life because of the different &quot;illnesses&quot; I've been handed.&nbsp;

I'm reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal proud of you girls and guys who've managed to loose so much weight.&nbsp; That's awesome.&nbsp; I'm hoping this thread doesn't turn into a shouting match between people with fantastic metabolisms (ie: telling &quot;fatty&quot; to put the burger down and get off your ass) and the people with weight issues trying to defend themselves.&nbsp; I've seen it happen before on public forums, and I would hope we'd have more decorum than that.

This thread has great potential to be awesome motivation to those of us struggling, or losing weight, or trying to maintain weight or just all around trying to be more healthy.&nbsp;

Congrats again to everybody sticking it out, and I'll definitely refer back to this thread for tips.

OH!!! As for water consumption.&nbsp; I get these little packets that are a Mango Green Tea, they're made by Lipton.&nbsp; Zero calories, but it does have a sugar supplement in it.&nbsp; One packet is enough for a 24oz bottle.&nbsp; They're so good, and makes drinking down a bunch of water a lot easier. It kinda looks like you're drinking pee though, that's the only downfall.&nbsp;

Great thread, Lyss!!

Cutting pop out of your diet, or switching to diet pop. I loved me some coca cola, then i switched to coke zero, and lost 15 pounds.. recently i started drinking less pop, almost none, and again i am losing weight. :D
    Of course I am pretty much just getting rid of those pesky baby pounds that i let hang around way too long. heh.
    Good luck, get a goal, and stick to it!

do you expect the removal of your thyroid to affect your weight dramatically, or should medications be able to counteract it?

[quote author=MissLyss link=topic=8000.msg407364#msg407364 date=1181585801]
    [/quote]
    WOW.. thats awesome!! Good for you!! Whooo Hoooo!!!! Now dont stop your momentum! Good JOB!

Thats where I fall short.. I would get all excited as I lost some pounds then think.. well I am doing sooo well I deserve to have _______. Next thing I know I cant get back on the diet again. Ugh.

Thread Information