Thread: Chicago baby kidnapped in 1964 has been found through DNA

Chicago baby kidnapped in 1964 has been found through DNA

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/paul-fr...ortedly-found/

A baby mysteriously kidnapped in 1964 may have finally been found ? more than half a century later. Chester and Dora Fronczak's son, Paul, was taken from a Chicago hospital when he was just days old. Shortly after investigators thought they had found him, but decades later, they realized they had the wrong person.

KLAS-TV investigative reporter George Knapp broke the story on MysteryWire.com. Fronczak is now living in Michigan and has kids of his own who heard about his kidnapping, reports CBS News correspondent Adriana Diaz.

"His children became convinced that their dad was the real deal, was the real Paul. They took some tests and tracked it down," Knapp said.

Their father, whose DNA matched the baby's, wants to remain anonymous.

"Imagine what a shock it would be. You're 55 years old. You think you know who you are. You think you know who your family is. And you suddenly get a bolt out of the blue that tells you you're not that guy after all. You're this guy. You're a kidnapped baby," Knapp said.

The mystery surrounding Fronczak began in 1964 when a woman posing as a maternity ward nurse told his mother, Dora, that she needed to take the baby to see the doctor. The woman never came back, sparking a massive search by the FBI.

A year later, law enforcement officials thought they found him when they discovered a boy abandoned in New Jersey with ears shaped like Fronczak's. The Fronczaks adopted him and raised him in Chicago.

In 2013, "CBS This Morning" spoke with the man who grew up believing he was Paul Fronczak.

"My mom and dad pretty much said you're our son. We love you, and that's all you need to know," Paul Fronczak said.

It wasn't until he took a DNA test as an adult that he found out he was not the kidnapped baby.

"I felt the color drain from my face and I started thinking about all these things that everyone takes for granted, like when your birthday, how old you are, who your mom and dad is," he said.

As for this new development, the FBI tells CBS News: "Our investigation into this matter remains ongoing as we continue to pursue all leads? There is no further information at this time."

Knapp said so far, the man believed to the true Paul Fronczak has not reunited with his mother.

I really want to know what made his kids think he might be the missing baby, and convince his to get his DNA tested against the missing baby's, in the first place! I am also curious if he will ever actually meet/interact with his biological family. Can you imagine?!

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I really want to know what made his kids think he might be the missing baby, and convince his to get his DNA tested against the missing baby's, in the first place! I am also curious if he will ever actually meet/interact with his biological family. Can you imagine?!
    This is just crazy. What about the parents who raised him? Are they alive? Are they the ones who took him or was he sold/given to them? Just so many questions...

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    This is just crazy. What about the parents who raised him? Are they alive? Are they the ones who took him or was he sold/given to them? Just so many questions...
    These are questions I want answered as well!

https://nypost.com/2019/12/23/ancest...aby-abduction/

DNA ancestry sites were key in cracking the case of the 1964 abduction of a newborn boy swiped from a Chicago hospital, a genetic genealogist has revealed.

One of Paul Fronczak’s close relatives submitted DNA samples to several ancestry sites in an attempt to find the newborn, who was snatched from his mother’s hospital room on April 27, 1964, according to genetic genealogist CeCe Moore.

Fronczak was only 1 day old when a woman posing as a nurse took off with him, officials said.

The FBI launched a search for the child that led to an abandoned baby in New Jersey who had ears similar to parents Chester and Dora Fronczak’s missing son.

The couple adopted the child and raised him as their own, but he took a DNA test later on in life proving he wasn’t related to them.

The man who had grown up as Paul Fronczak then set out to find his adoptive parents’ still-missing son, according to Moore. In 2014, she worked with the adopted man to submit a DNA sample from one of his close relatives to Ancestry.com, 23andme.com, MyHeritage.com and FamilyTreeDNA.com.

The sites altogether have around 30 million DNA records from others who voluntarily upload their results and allow users to connect with people who share their genetic ancestry.

She described the experiment as a genetic fishing expedition — but it paid off last year when they finally got a notification through one of the sites that there was a match.
    \
    The other Paul Fronczak turned out to be a 55-year-old man living in rural Michigan, she said.

Moore declined to provide more details about the man and his family, citing his privacy.

“The most important thing is that he and his mother have a reunion,” Moore told the Associated Press. “Our greatest wish is for that to happen.”

His mom, Dora Fronczak, is in her 80s and still lives in the Chicago area, while Chester died several years ago, WGN-TV reported.

The FBI declined to confirm whether the case has been solved.

Thread Information