Thread: Shannon Keithley died after smashing her car into a concrete pillar while fleeing a man who raped her

Shannon Keithley died after smashing her car into a concrete pillar while fleeing a man who raped her

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local...171967567.html

People who knew Shannon Keithley shudder when they imagine her terror the morning she died.

They know she made a 911 call during her escape from an intruder in her Kansas City, Kan., home around 5 a.m. on Aug. 18. A kitchen knife left in the driveway where she kept her SUV suggests to them she fought her way free.

Then, less than a mile from her house, her SUV smashed into a massive concrete pillar on Leavenworth Road at the Interstate 635 overpass, killing her at the scene. She was 39.

She was not wearing a seatbelt. ?Shannon always wore her seatbelt,? said Gail Henry, who family described as a mother figure to Keithley.

Police believe a man busted into her house and raped her. Thirty-five-year-old Orlando Taylor of Kansas City, Kan., is in jail, charged with those crimes.

Now Keithley?s family and friends want to know: Was she murdered?

?She was panicking, that?s for sure,? said her father, Richard Keithley. He cited the Kansas statute for felony murder, saying it may be possible the man charged in the rape could be held responsible for her death after she drove away.

A first-degree murder charge can be brought in ?the killing of a human being committed?in the commission of, attempt to commit, or flight from an inherently dangerous felony??

The investigation is ongoing. Wyandotte County District Attorney Mark Dupree?s office would not speculate on a felony murder charge.

?The possibility of additional charges exists,? spokesman Jonathan Carter said in a written reply to The Star. ?However, the two charges, rape and aggravated burglary, are where the case stands at the moment.?

Details in the detectives? affidavit supporting the rape and burglary charges remain under seal.

The narrative accumulated by her family begins with someone forcing his way into her home sometime during the early morning hours. By 5 a.m. Keithley had escaped and was able to make an emergency call to 911. She crashed her SUV into the concrete pillar at 5:09.

Meanwhile police were responding to the house and the 911 call. Family members say that investigators told them that the police found the man who would be charged with rape hiding outside under the wooden deck in the back of the house. His bond was set at $500,000.

Keithley, who played guitar, was surrounded by a family of musicians, so her funeral resonated with live performances.

The crowd at her funeral at St. Luke?s Episcopal Church in Shawnee came from as far away as Texas and Ohio, overflowing the sanctuary, many people standing in the back.

Her father performed the song, ?Shannon,? from the 1970s, which he sang to his daughter when she was young. She always thought her dad had written it for her, though it was written by Shannon Henry Gross as an ode to the death of Beach Boy Carl Wilson?s Irish Setter, also named Shannon.

The warm memories on social media and in the funeral service were beautiful, and people who knew her want her remembered, Behan said.

But he is also ?angry,? he said.

?How can we advocate for her if we?re not angry??

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    THIS ONE. This one is shredding my heart. No words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

Horrible!

Here's a link for the Wyandotte County jail if you wanna see his picture.
    http://ils.wycosheriff.org/Default.aspx?ID=WCDC2
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us.

The glorious Mr. Taylor. Hopefully something terrible happens to him.
    Last edited by puke; 09-09-2017 at 10:47 PM.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us.

This is too much. I was triggered earlier from a show and then hearing this. I know her fear. He should be brought up on involuntary manslaughter in my world. He caused this.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

How absolutely terrible. I cant imagine the pain her family is going though right now. I hope he is tried for her murder.

http://www.kctv5.com/story/36350377/...police-problem

Kansas City, KS woman’s attack highlights common police problem

A Kansas City, KS woman’s recent attack highlights a common police problem -- they can’t find locations from cell phones.

Shannon Keithley, 39, was robbed and raped on Aug. 18th. She called 911 two separate times.

The first call was 3:30 a.m. She called again around 5:08 a.m. when she escaped her house.

Keithley's second call to 911 ended when she crashed her car. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

“Why they couldn’t find her? I want to know why they couldn’t find her?” questioned her sister, Heather Isbell.

KCK police say they share in their frustration. The department says officers went searching and could not locate Keithley. They didn’t have enough information.

“Calling 911 is one thing, but without your address, we can't get there all the time,” explained Mjr. Rance Quinn with Kansas City, KS Police Department's dispatch.

Quinn says it’s not a lack of effort. It’s a technology problem all departments across the nation are dealing with. 911 systems were designed with landlines in mind.

People can call from cell phones, but the information from cell towers and service providers are vague.

A call taker will only see your cell phone number. There won’t be a name and the emergency call does not provide an exact location.

Call takers can see a map showing the tower that pinged. But that shows a huge coverage area. And isolating that call takes times and sometimes the information is just wrong.

“We know people need our help when they call 911 but without to know where you are calling from it’s hard to do that sometimes,” says Quinn.

Police face this lack of information every day, and 90 percent of emergency calls in KCK are now wireless calls.

Dispatchers worry about kids who may not know addresses; domestic violence victims who can’t share full information; and medical emergencies like heart attacks and strokes where a caller can’t speak clearly.

Investigation continues

Keithley's case joins other high-profile tragedies across the nation where people called from cell phones and police either didn’t find the callers or went searching in the wrong direction.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    This one made me cry. RIP lovely lady.

Her FB: https://www.facebook.com/shannon.e.keithley?fref=ts

So they ended charging him with murder.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...se-Kanasa.html

Prosecutors in Kansas City, Kansas have added a homicide charge against a man they have in custody, alleging his actions led to her death in a traffic crash.

Already indicted for rape and burglary, Orlando Teneile Taylor, 35, is now facing an additional murder charge in the August 18 home invasion that ended with 39-year-old Shannon Eileen Keithley dead in a single-car crash in Kansas City, Kansas.

Kansas law includes in the definition of first-degree murder the killing of a human being 'in the commission of, attempt to commit, or flight from an inherently dangerous felony'.

'She was panicking, that's for sure' when the crash occurred, father Richard Keithley told the Kansas City Star.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    So they ended charging him with murder.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...se-Kanasa.html
    Not that I think it will fly, but....

GOOD
    Oh well, back to gum.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local...188545819.html

A judge has ordered a mental competency evaluation of a Kansas City, Kan., man charged with first-degree murder in the death of a woman who crashed her car while fleeing an alleged rape by the man.
    Taylor appeared in a Wyandotte County courtroom Thursday for a preliminary hearing, but his defense attorney raised concerns that Taylor was not sufficiently mentally competent to proceed.

The judge postponed the hearing so that Taylor could be evaluated, Wyandotte County Assistant District Attorney Ethan Zipf-Sigler said.

A new court date will not be set until after the question of Taylor’s competency is resolved.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...234503732.html

A Wyandotte County jury on Wednesday found a man guilty of first-degree murder after the woman he was charged with raping died in a traffic crash while fleeing the scene.

Orlando Taylor, 35, was charged in 2017 with the rape and murder of 39-year-old Shannon Keithley in Kansas City, Kansas.

The day Keithley died, when her SUV smashed into a concrete pillar on Leavenworth Road at the Interstate 635 overpass, Taylor was found and arrested hiding under the back deck of her house.

A knife was found in the driveway.

According to family and friends Keithley called 911 at her home and was calling 911 again when she crashed her car just after 5 a.m.

After Taylor was initially charged with burglary and rape Keithley’s family and friends began speaking out, calling for him to be charged with murder as well.

Thread Information