Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Emmalyn Nguyen died after being in a semi-comatose state since August 2019 when she went in for a breast enhancement surgery

Emmalyn Nguyen died after being in a semi-comatose state since August 2019 when she went in for a breast enhancement surgery

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...wsuit-n1106121

An 18-year-old Colorado woman's planned breast-enhancement surgery in August went wrong, putting her in a coma-like, vegetative state in which she has remained since, her parents allege in a lawsuit.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-25-2022 at 05:14 PM.

What a goddamn shame, all because she wanted man made titties installed. Women need to stop with this fake titty shit.

Emmalyn Nguyen (19) dies after a 14 month coma from surgery

https://kdvr.com/news/local/19-year-...t-her-in-coma/

THORNTON, Colo. (KDVR) ? A Thornton teenager who spent the last 14 months of her life in a coma caused by a breast enhancement surgery gone wrong has died.

Friends and family of Emmalyn Nguyen paid their final respects to the 19-year-old at her funeral earlier today. The teen passed away Sunday, Oct. 4, but her family didn?t want her death publicized until the day of her funeral.

FOX31 first featured the story of a common medical procedure gone horribly awry last December.

Nguyen?s parents have filed a lawsuit in Arapahoe County accusing Dr. Geoffrey Kim and Nurse Anesthetist Rex Meeker of gross negligence.

The family?s attorney David Woodruff told the Problem Solvers, Nguyen developed pneumonia in her nursing home and went into cardiac arrest.

Woodruff shared that Nguyen was resuscitated and taken to a local hospital but suffered cardiac arrest multiple times over a 24-hour period before finally passing away last Sunday.

The doctor in charge of Nguyen?s surgery had his license suspended on an emergency basis after it was revealed that his office staff waited five hours to call 911 after Nguyen lost consciousness before her procedure even began.

In March, Dr. Kim?s license was reinstated under a probationary status.

On Feb. 27, Kim entered into an agreement with the Colorado Medical Board that allows him to practice again under a probationary status for the next three years.

When told of the agreement Kim reached with the Colorado Medical Board, Emmalyn?s father Sonny Nguyen said, ?I don?t know what the board is thinking but I think that?s kind of unfair. He nearly killed someone and he only gets three years probation??

Now that Emmalyn Nguyen has died, attorney David Woodruff says the family?s lawsuit will now become a case of wrongful death.

?In terms of the lawsuit filed against the plastic surgeon, Geoffrey Kim, M.D. and nurse-anesthetist, Rex Meeker, CRNA who caused Emmalyn?s catastrophic brain injury on Aug. 1, 2019: that lawsuit will continue as a wrongful death lawsuit by Emmalyn?s parents and siblings,? Woodruff said.

?Medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the United States. Emmalyn?s parents believe it is important to tell Emmalyn?s story, not only to bring her some justice but also to help prevent this from ever happening to another patient.?

https://kdvr.com/news/problem-solver...etative-state/

CENTENNIAL, Colo. (KDVR) — The doctor who received an emergency suspension of his medical license learned Thursday that his license has been reinstated under a probationary status.

Dr. Geoffrey’s Kim license was suspended after a botched procedure left 18-year-old Emmalyn Nguyen in a vegetative state, a story that the FOX31 Problem Solvers have followed since the beginning.

On Feb. 27, Kim entered into an agreement with the Colorado Medical Board that allows him to practice again under a probationary status for the next 3 years.

When told of the agreement Kim reached with the Colorado Medical Board, Emmalyn’s father Sonny Nguyen said, “I don’t know what the board is thinking but I think that’s kind of unfair. He nearly killed someone and he only gets 3 years probation?”

When asked if he was worried Kim might hurt another patient, Nguyen responded, “From how careless he is, yeah, I think he will.”

The Problem Solvers were the first to report Kim’s license was suspended Jan. 9, 2020, three weeks after the Problem Solvers shared the story of Emmalyn Nguyen.

The 18-year-old was scheduled for a breast augmentation on Aug. 1, 2019. Before the procedure began, she stopped breathing while under anesthesia.

Kim performed CPR on Nguyen and resuscitated her, but the teen never regained consciousness. She now lives in a hospital facility unable to breathe or eat on her own.

According to state documents, Kim instructed his staff not to call 911 for more than five hours after Emmalyn lost consciousness.

Emmalyn’s parents Sonny Nguyen and Lynn Fam have filed a lawsuit against Colorado Aesthetic and Plastic Surgery, its owner (Kim), nurse anesthetist Rex Meeker, registered nurse Shay Hubert and CRNA Associates.

Under the agreement with the state medical board, Kim must complete a professional ethics program and a separate education program that assesses “anesthesia reactions in the surgical setting and a focus on the culture of safety.”

In addition, Kim will only be allowed to perform surgical procedures during his probationary term with a board-certified anesthesiologist. At the time of Nguyen’s procedure, Kim used Meeker, a nurse anesthetist.

Previously, the state Board of Nursing entered into an “Interim Cessation of Practice Agreement” with Meeker that went into effect on Jan. 2, 2020. Meeker has both a certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA) license and a registered nurse (RN) license in Colorado. The state did not do anything to impact Meeker’s RN license.

Under the voluntary agreement, Meeker can no longer administer anesthesia to patients but can still act as a nurse.

According to state documents obtained by the Problem Solvers, “As an Advanced Practice Nurse, Respondent (Meeker) has the responsibility to timely contact emergency services and refer Patient 1 (Emmalyn) to a hospital. The Board reviewed information that anesthetic doses may have been inappropriate under the circumstances.”

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...59#post3801259

Update Emmalyn Nguyen has died and I also agree to have this thread merged.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I am not sure about criminal charges. Negligence, absolutely...but criminal not so much. There must be more to the story.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    This is the first I've seen this thread. What the actual FUCK. I'm glad that he was arrested. Waiting five hours to call 911 and lying to her Mom?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

There is something unclear. The arrested is the anesthesiologist or the surgeon? It?s very important. If the anesthesia after induction is completely on the nurse hands it?s completely crazy. I think there is only one possible reason for this incredible delete to call help: panic and not properly trained team.

Quote Originally Posted by Roshana View Post
    There is something unclear. The arrested is the anesthesiologist or the surgeon? It?s very important. If the anesthesia after induction is completely on the nurse hands it?s completely crazy. I think there is only one possible reason for this incredible delete to call help: panic and not properly trained team.
    Both were charged.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...gery-rcna16777

Colorado plastic surgeon arrested in teen patient?s death after botched surgery
    The Arapahoe County Sheriff?s Office announced Wednesday that an arrest warrant for Dr. Geoffrey Kim, 52, was obtained in Nguyen?s death, ?after a lengthy criminal investigation.?

He?s been charged with first-degree aggravated assault and criminally negligent homicide.

He turned himself into authorities accompanied by his attorney Wednesday, was booked and after released on bond, the sheriff?s office said.

Rex Meeker, a nurse anesthetist, is also charged with manslaughter and a warrant has been issued for his arrest.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

But was there an actual anesthesiologist, besides the nurse, like an actual MD? They would be the one to stay with the patient to monitor them.

This is an animal surgery story, not a human one, but for a kitten declaw the kitten had a reaction to the anesthesia and her heart stopped. They got the crash cart, did CPR and revived her, but she was paralyzed. Im not saying they definately could have saved her right away, but if she had a reaction to the anesthesia she was fucked. Most people die right away.

I do not think they should have left her, or waited that long to call 911. Were they not in a damn hospital? There was negligence for sure, but idk about the aggravated asssault.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    But was there an actual anesthesiologist, besides the nurse, like an actual MD? They would be the one to stay with the patient to monitor them.

This is an animal surgery story, not a human one, but for a kitten declaw the kitten had a reaction to the anesthesia and her heart stopped. They got the crash cart, did CPR and revived her, but she was paralyzed. Im not saying they definately could have saved her right away, but if she had a reaction to the anesthesia she was fucked. Most people die right away.

I do not think they should have left her, or waited that long to call 911. Were they not in a damn hospital? There was negligence for sure, but idk about the aggravated asssault.
    The first issue I have with your story is declawing a kitten. Some people shouldn't own animals.

If I were a veterinarian, I wouldn't offer that service. And if all veterinarians agree to not offer it, then it won't happen anymore. That and "debarking". Both should be outlawed, but vets can stop it at any time by just not doing either regardless of laws. Cats scratch furniture. Dogs bark. If you can't tolerate either of those things, then don't get an animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    The first issue I have with your story is declawing a kitten. Some people shouldn't own animals.

If I were a veterinarian, I wouldn't offer that service. And if all veterinarians agree to not offer it, then it won't happen anymore. That and "debarking". Both should be outlawed, but vets can stop it at any time by just not doing either regardless of laws. Cats scratch furniture. Dogs bark. If you can't tolerate either of those things, then don't get an animal.
    I agree with you. My couch looks like shit.

Not trying to stand up for her, but when the owner saw the kitten (it was like her neck was broken she couldnt raise her head and it was warped) she was very very upset. Everyone in the clinic was. We humanely euthanized the kitten. Thank God I didnt monitor for that surgery because that would have really gotten to me.

My philosophy is, if declawing a cat is going to give them a nice home, then I dont judge. I know its barbaric, but my childhood cat was declawed. Because of that, no vets or techs made me do declaws.

My point was, the tech was monitoring closely and as soon as the kitten crashed, they acted, and the cat was still really fucked up.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Declawing should be illegal. Totally unnecessary and barbaric.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    Declawing should be illegal. Totally unnecessary and barbaric.
    The place I used to work doesnt do them or ear crops now (they used to do a shit ton of ear crops and I hate those) and doing tail docks and dew claw removal when they are days old.

I know the state of California doesnt declaw and most places now wont do them. To be honest, the declawed cats that come in our rescue go pretty quickly. People want declawed cats but dont want to do it themselves.

I apologize for giving this thread ADD and taking it way off topic

ETA: I signed a no declaw and inside only contract with both rescues I adopted my cats from. Dont get me started on outside cats.
    Last edited by Angiebla; 02-19-2022 at 11:59 AM.

The place I used to work doesnt do them or ear crops now (they used to do a shit ton of ear crops and I hate those) and doing tail docks and dew claw removal when they are days old.

I know the state of California doesnt declaw and most places now wont do them. To be honest, the declawed cats that come in our rescue go pretty quickly. People want declawed cats but dont want to do it themselves.

I apologize for giving this thread ADD and taking it way off topic

ETA: I signed a no declaw and inside only contract with both rescues I adopted my cats from. Dont get me started on outside cats.
    You didn't take it off topic. That was my fault.

I'll forever think of breast implants as man-made titties. That's so wrong and stuck in my head.

She was too young for body enhancement surgery. I think that shouldn't start until after 18.

That's exactly what I meant. I am an anesthesiologist and I often work on breast implant. Even if it is one of the simplest jobs, I can't immaginate of leaving the room for even just two minutes, ignoring or muting monitors.

That's exactly what I meant. I am an anesthesiologist and I often work on breast implant. Even if it is one of the simplest jobs, I can't immaginate of leaving the room for even just two minutes, ignoring or muting monitors.
    I dont think they had one. I have no clue why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Queenatoo View Post
    She was too young for body enhancement surgery. I think that shouldn't start until after 18.

Eighteen years old and getting fake boobs. I can't even wrap my head around this. I blame Instagram because I'm old.

Do you know the laws on this? If you fail to do your job properly, and it causes a death, is it considered a criminal offense in your state/country?

I dont think they had one. I have no clue why not.
    It sounds like an out-patient plastic surgery clinic, probably not at a hospital. I can't believe State law wouldn't require an Anesthesiologist or Nurse Anesthetist be present. Who else is going to administer the anesthesia?! Now I have visions of the file clerk taking on an additional duty....
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Quote Originally Posted by Queenatoo View Post
    I'll forever think of breast implants as man-made titties. That's so wrong and stuck in my head.

I wish my boobs were smaller

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

It?s completely insane

I wish my boobs were smaller
    I had a breast reduction 5 years ago. Got 65% of them removed but I'm still a C-D cup.

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post

Do you know the laws on this? If you fail to do your job properly, and it causes a death, is it considered a criminal offense in your state/country?
    If I fail to do my job and I didn't do everything possible to save the patient deciding to voluntarily ignore emergency procedures (like in this case) yes, it is considered a criminal offense.
    How is it possible to ignore a cardiac arrest? or there is no anesthesiologist in the OR; or tere is no cardiac monitoring (in general anesthesia it is mandatory ) or the monitor alarms are silenced. All this cases in my country are illegal.
    If the anesthesiologist tried immediatly to save the patient (vasopressors, cpr, cardioversion...), then in this case there would be no imputability

Quote Originally Posted by jennafyre View Post
    I had a breast reduction 5 years ago. Got 65% of them removed but I'm still a C-D cup.
    Yikes! I feel for you. I'm a D cup and my back is always killing me as it is.

Thread Information