Thread: Jim Hansen Sr., his sons, Kirk and Jim Hansen Jr. and six other family members dead in plane crash

Jim Hansen Sr., his sons, Kirk and Jim Hansen Jr. and six other family members dead in plane crash

There is new information regarding the victims of a deadly plane crash in South Dakota Saturday afternoon.

Brule County State?s Attorney Theresa Maule tells KELOLAND News that nine people died in the crash around 12:30 p.m. in rural Brule County south of Chamberlain, South Dakota. The plane was headed to Idaho Falls, Idaho after a weekend hunting trip.

Twelve people were on board the Pilatus PC-12 that took off shortly before 12:30 p.m. CT from the Chamberlain Municipal Airport. Among the dead are the pilot and two children. The three survivors were taken to Sioux Falls and are in critical condition.

Social media posts and reports from Idaho identify the victims as Idaho business executives Jim Hansen Sr., his sons, Kirk and Jim Hansen Jr. and six other family members.

Maule says emergency responders were ?heroic.?

The Brule County Sheriff?s Office is investigating the crash, alongside the FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board. Federal investigators are looking into whether winter weather conditions were a factor. The cause of the crash has not been determined.
    https://www.keloland.com/news/local-...y-plane-crash/

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2019/1...n-kirk-hansen/
    Last edited by puzzld; 12-01-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I saw this last night. Very sad. The weather was pretty bad there.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I saw this last night. Very sad. The weather was pretty bad there.
    That's putting it mildly. I know it was worse here, but it was plenty bad there too, and they'd have been flying into the blizzard. The interstate was closed for Chamberlain west all the way to Wyoming. There'd been freezing rain changing to snow earlier in the day... I wouldn't have walked across the street here.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Why would they fly if the weather was so bad?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Why would they fly if the weather was so bad?
    I am guessing they felt like they had to get somewhere (home or destination) and pushed it despite the weather. The airlines were cancelling a ton of flights yesterday...no way I would go in a small plane when the weather was like that.

Nine members of an extended Idaho family died when their plane crashed in a South Dakota field as they were heading home after a hunting trip.

Travis Garza, president of the wellness company Kyani, said in a Facebook post Sunday that the crash near Chamberlain Saturday afternoon killed brothers and founders Jim and Kirk Hansen. Garza said the crash also killed their father, Jim Hansen Sr.; Kirk Hansen's children, Stockton and Logan; his sons-in-law, Kyle Taylor and Tyson Dennert; and Jim Hansen's son, Jake, and grandson, Houston.

Garza identified the injured as Kirk's son, Josh, and Jim's son, Matt, and son-in-law, Thomas Long. All three were hospitalized.

The Hansens were executives with Kyani, which markets nutritional, health and wellness products, as well as with petroleum products distributor Conrad & Bischoff and KJ's Super Stores.

East Idaho News, which first identified the victims, reported that the party had been on a hunting trip to South Dakota, one of the nation?s top destinations for pheasants.

Brian Wood, owner of a funeral home in Idaho Falls, lamented the deaths on Facebook. He called the Hansens "pillars of our community" and wrote that they had offered many times over the years to help pay expenses for someone who might not be able to afford it.

"Our community has a dark cloud over it now," Wood wrote. "They will never know the many lives they touched."

Twelve people were aboard the Pilatus PC-12 bound for Idaho Falls when it crashed within a mile after takeoff in Chamberlain about 12:30 p.m. Saturday, National Transportation Safety Board spokesman Peter Knudson said.

Federal investigators " one from Washington, D.C., and two from the Chicago area " likely would reach the crash site on Monday, Knudson said. Local authorities were guarding the site on Sunday.

Chamberlain and parts of South Dakota were under a winter storm warning Saturday and Brule County emergency manager Katheryn Benton said planes were unable to land at Chamberlain at the time of the crash.

Weather will be among several factors investigators will review, although no cause for the crash has been determined, Knudson said.

https://www.newscenter1.tv/south-dak...THZfpqihWigXNI
    Last edited by puzzld; 12-01-2019 at 06:44 PM.

I can't begin to imagine how the surviving family members can cope with such an enormous tragedy.

They are all LDS members - I hope their faith can sustain them through this.
    I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. - Donnie Darko

I can't begin to imagine how the surviving family members can cope with such an enormous tragedy.

They are all LDS members - I hope their faith can sustain them through this.
    Yes. The only good note is that the 3 survivors are "stable" now. Hopefully they will recover well. I can't even imagine. Some of my cousins are still dealing with the fallout of a crash 30 years ago that killed one family member and seriously injured another. How must losing 4 generations of your family hurt?

This one really hurts my heart. The enormity of this loss is beyond my comprehension. Four generations.... that photograph.... I can't imagine what made them take such a risk. Sounds like the plane went down shortly after take-off.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2022/0...amily-members/
    NTSB releases new details on plane crash that killed 9 Idaho Falls family members
    IDAHO FALLS ? The NTSB has released over 200 pages of investigative documents related to a plane crash that killed three Idaho Falls businessmen and six of their family members.

Kirk Hansen was flying the plane, registered to Conrad & Bischoff Inc. The family had landed in South Dakota the day before the crash for their annual hunting trip.

The NTSB has not released its final investigative report but the new documents contain witness statements, photos, weather reports, flight data recorder transcripts, aircraft details, the pilot?s record and additional information about the tragic incident.
    Witness statements

The Hansen family stayed at the Thunderstick Lodge in Chamberlain and on the morning of the crash, everyone went hunting except Kirk Hansen and a passenger.

A lodge employee took the two men to the airport with a ladder and they stopped at a hardware store to buy isopropyl alcohol, according to the employee who spoke with an NTSB investigator.

?The pilot and passenger worked for about 3 hours to remove the snow and ice that had accumulated on the airplane overnight,? the witness statement said. ?There was less than about 1/4 inch of ice on the airplane when they started. He (the witness) commented that the ladder they brought from the lodge was approximately 7 feet tall and did not allow them to get to the top of the tail.?

The lodge employee said he asked Hansen not to leave and mentioned they had room for the group to stay another night.

?The pilot noted that they needed to get home. The pilot told him that the airplane was 98% good and the remaining ice would come off during takeoff,? the witness statement says.

It was snowing hard at the time the plane took off, according to weather reports and witnesses. The lodge employee noticed Hansen completed a flight control check before taxiing from the ramp and there was still snow on the left side of the aft fuselage.

The Chamberlain Airport Manager also spoke with an NTSB investigator. He said he had been plowing snow all morning and weather conditions were deteriorating.

?(He) stated that the pilot spent some time removing ice and snow from the airplane before the passengers arrived. He added that the pilot was pouring liquid on the airplane and appeared to be ?chipping away? at the ice,? the report says. ?The pilot commented, ?it?s coming off pretty good.'?

The airport manager remembered seeing the family get on the plane. The aircraft taxied down the runway, turned around and took off. About 15 minutes later, the manager received a call from the Minneapolis Air Route Traffic Control Center asking if the aircraft had taken off.

Another witness was at his mother-in-law?s house near the airport when he heard the plane take off. He sent an email to investigators saying it was ?snowing so hard I could not see the plane. Her (mother-in-law?s) house sits where a person can look straight down the runway from the living room window.? He mentioned that the plane did not go over the house like all of the others do.

Cell phone video and photos of the plane taken from the runaway were included in the NTSC report. They show icicles and snow on the aircraft immediately before takeoff.
    Cockpit voice recorder

Investigators were able to retrieve 18 minutes and 37 seconds of voice recordings from the cockpit. Two channels were recorded in ?excellent? condition ? one for the pilot and front seat passenger combined, the other for the cockpit area microphone.

The following events transpired based on the recorder:

12:14:26 p.m. ? the recording begins
    12:17:27 p.m. ? a passenger says a prayer asking for protection during the flight
    12:19:02 p.m. ? the engine starts
    12:22:29 p.m. ? Chamberlain airport employee communicates weather conditions and other information to pilot
    Between 12:23:54 p.m. ? 12:29 p.m. ? communication continues between pilot and airport employee
    12:29:34 p.m. ? airport employee says ?it don?t look good to me. I don?t know what you guys are thinkin?
    12:29:37 p.m. ? pilot asks ?is the runway in good condition?? Airport employee responds, ?I would say I can hardly keep up.?
    12:29:47 p.m. ? pilot responds ?uh we?re gonna be just fine.?
    12:29:54 p.m. ? airport employee says ?the runway is not clear? followed by ?you guys are crazy. I got berms on this thing. I gotta get the snow outta here? and ?that don?t look good to me.?
    12:30:32 p.m. ? pilot responds ?I think we?re gonna be just fine?
    12:31:59 p.m. ? takeoff begins
    12:32:29 p.m. ? stall warning sounds
    12:33:01 p.m. ? sounds ?similar to impact? are heard
    12:33:03 p.m. ? recording ends

Airplane condition

In a preliminary report released in December 2019, the NTSB said when the plane took off, it began turning to the left. It climbed 170 feet above the ground when the wings banked right and rolled over steeply to the left. The aircraft reached its peak altitude of 460 feet.

Airspeed stayed between 102 and 112 mph during the initial climb, but then as the plane banked over, speed slowed to 92 mph. The data recorder stopped recording at 12:33 p.m. when the airplane crashed.

After the airplane made no contact with Air Traffic Control and did not appear on the radar by 12:40 p.m., the airport manager and the Brule County emergency dispatch center received a call notifying them of an overdue aircraft.

A property owner discovered the crash site around 2 p.m., about three-quarters of a mile west of the airport. The debris left an approximately 85-foot-long path with the engine and left wing separated from the main portion of the wreckage consisting of the fuselage, tail and right wing. The NTSB said there was no fire or explosion.

Investigators performed a comprehensive analysis on every part of the severely damaged plane. While 11 people were on board, the aircraft is designed to hold 10. Eight passenger and two crew seats were found in the wreckage and seatbelts for the passenger seats were found buckled, unbuckled and cut.

In their 2019 report, the NTSB said ?no conclusions about the cause of the accident should be made based on the information contained in the preliminary report.?

It?s unknown when the final report on the crash will be completed and released to the public.
    More at https://data.ntsb.gov/Docket/?NTSBNumber=CEN20FA022

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...illed-84579276

NTSB: Pilot didn't clear ice before 2019 crash that killed 9
    That pilot is an asshole and should have known better. Wtf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    That pilot is an asshole and should have known better. Wtf.
    But they prayed! That should have protected them!

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    But they prayed! That should have protected them!
    Sky Daddy let them down. Surprise, surprise!
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Thread Information